Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
my interpretation of all this is that each of the current demiurge's keys have... "consumed" the other 777,770 keys to grow in power, which is also why each one of them has access to 111,111 worlds when the keys previously were only one each

the current 7 can release some of this power again to recreate one of the lesser keys, which they do to give to an emissary of theirs

cio/yabal just sidestepped that and stole some of that power, giving her access to a universe and hypothetical power on par with the other 7, except without any of the control or support the others had she just got crushed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Cio nicked a fragment of Mammon's power, hence her previous exposition about how lesser Keys are only bequeathed by the Demiurges to their minions - she basically stole a bit of Mammon's shine without permission, which enhanced her already considerable power. Mammon's response was to bide his time until Cio's hubris overtook her, and then make it raaaaain on all of her allies to look the other way as the Angels struck her down. That's why she's nailed down in the Heretics' court while all of Mammon's bankers are having an audience with the council, they'd come to take back what was theirs in exchange for all that coin. No one survives stealing from the fortress of Yre, and sure enough, Cio's theft was her undoing. It just took a little longer than usual.

Operant's made a point of saying that Mammon is the weakest of the Demiurges but still formidable in his own right, and this anecdote seems to bear it out. He lacks skill with the Art, martial or otherwise, but makes up for it by weighing around 500 tons. He's a recluse with little direct influence throughout the Wheel, but his web of finance ensnares the whole of civilization.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tenebrais posted:

My reading is that Yabalchaoth stole Mammon's entire key, but the key of creation is only a fraction of Mammon's power - the keys are prizes for the powerful, they don't themselves make demiurges.

Except that they do. The keys bring people to around the level of the original demiurges that traveled to throne without the aid of keys.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Tenebrais posted:

My reading is that Yabalchaoth stole Mammon's entire key, but the key of creation is only a fraction of Mammon's power - the keys are prizes for the powerful, they don't themselves make demiurges.

I mean, Mammon bought his key, so obviously his wealth was more valuable, and thus more powerful, than the key.

And I seriously doubt his investments have lost money since gaining mastery over a hundred thousand odd worlds.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I do wonder if we're supposed to take his ascension as him buying his key near the end of the war, or if he bought his key at the beginning of the war and used his other resources to take an ever increasing chunk of the cosmos. I'm assuming the latter.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Theory: Mammon had a huge amount of wealth accumulated, enough to hide away demiurges who were clearly losing their wars in very expensive seclusion. Demiruges traded their keys away for safety when they got dunked on. Mammon basically leveraged an early financial advantage to buy keys from loser demiurges.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

GunnerJ posted:

Theory: Mammon had a huge amount of wealth accumulated, enough to hide away demiurges who were clearly losing their wars in very expensive seclusion. Demiruges traded their keys away for safety when they got dunked on. Mammon basically leveraged an early financial advantage to buy keys from loser demiurges.

This honestly seems most likely to me. You have to imagine at least a few demiurges saw the writing on the wall and decided to cash out while they could. Once Mammon built up a power base in that way, it's easy to imagine how his empire snowballed.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

hey girl you up posted:

I mean, Mammon bought his key, so obviously his wealth was more valuable, and thus more powerful, than the key.

And I seriously doubt his investments have lost money since gaining mastery over a hundred thousand odd worlds.

He didn't necessarily buy the key in its current state, is the thing; buying one of the 777,777 keys is a lot different than buying one of the 7 keys.

The way I figure it went down, he bought his key back when there were a lot of them, survived the war through alliances/schemes/financing other major players/being a loving dragon, made it to the end, and was part of the Pact of the Seven-Part World, bringing him up to (roughly) everyone else's level, rather than him buying into dominion over a seventh of the multiverse outright.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
To post this in the thread I actually meant to post it in:

Abaddon posted:

I’m hoping to finish book 3 (the current book) by the end of 2017, then we have probably book 4 which deals with solomon and white chain, then book 5 (Breaker of Infinities) which kind of wraps things up. I’d say we’re comfortably in act 2 at this point, maybe about 30-40% done with the whole thing. Act 3 will probably start at the end of book 4. I have a very clear picture of how this whole thing ends and where it’s going and I’m fully committed to finishing it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Cio is still somewhat purple and chitinous after her transformation.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

Cio is still somewhat purple and chitinous after her transformation.

Huh. Apparently she's been purple and chitinous apart from her face this entire time (source, or any other page she's ever appeared on now that I'm actually looking) and I literally just never noticed.

Iny fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 27, 2016

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Again I apologise; I am a monster.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
If you look at her hands it shows up a little but I thought that when she underwent her first 'art upgrade' she lost her chitin, of course that could also be down to being on the netherplane or whatever where everyone is weird colored shades anyhow, since she gained her two toed bug-feet and poo poo back the moment they got to the very beginning of the mottom arc

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

No Pun Intended posted:

Again I apologise; I am a monster.

Yeah, but she lost her big demon butt when she turned blue.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

She wasn't a rogue demiurge, she was a rogue emissary (see the previous page). Much more of an embarrassment than a serious problem.

No, I'm pretty sure she stole an actual key.

Basically, it works like this, as far as I can tell.

- Mammon's key is actually 111,111 keys clumped together.
- Emissaries get an 'echo' of a one or a few of those keys, which lets them gate and zap out to the world that key represents. It's only an echo, and the actual original remains with the Demiurge. This is stated on the previous page.
- Cio stole one key, leaving Mammon with 111,110, but she got the actual key and the magical power it brings with it, unlike an emissary. I think.

It's possible she only stole an emissary pseudo-key, but she has a full crown and everything, I think she stole an actual one.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 27, 2016

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

MikeJF posted:

- Emissaries get an 'echo' of a one or a few of those keys, which lets them gate and zap out to the world that key represents. It's only an echo, and the actual original remains with the Demiurge. This is stated on the previous page.
- Cio stole one key, leaving Mammon with 111,110, but she got the actual key and the magical power it brings with it, unlike an emissary. I think.

It's possible she only stole an emissary pseudo-key, but she has a full crown and everything, I think she stole an actual one.

This would clarify the situation with ley-stones -- a ley-stone is not a key, but acts as a proxy for keys, so it marks the bearer as an emissary; when not receiving power, it remains dim, and it never generates a phantom crown, because it's just a receiver for Royalty, not a mark of it.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

MikeJF posted:

I think that's a pretty good summary of the whole affair going by the info we currently have. She couldn't have been an emissary since emissaries are granted their power willingly by one of the seven. And since they draw their power directly from the demiurge, they're probably still under their control and can have that power revoked at any time for any reason. Since Cio stole an actual key, Mammon had to go through the trouble of retrieving it from her in order to get that power back. It also means she probably had substantially more power than an emissary has, and could do whatever the hell she wanted with it (especially since she's been shown to be fairly skilled in her use of the art).

E:

Poltergrift posted:

This would clarify the situation with ley-stones -- a ley-stone is not a key, but acts as a proxy for keys, so it marks the bearer as an emissary; when not receiving power, it remains dim, and it never generates a phantom crown, because it's just a receiver for Royalty, not a mark of it.

I don't think ley stones have anything to do with the keys but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure I saw a question about them on the 'submit' blog where Abbadon said they're just an accessory that acts as an amplifier for the bearer's own powers/natural talents but I can't find it at the moment.

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 27, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

the future is WOW posted:

I don't think ley stones have anything to do with the keys but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure I saw a question about them on the 'submit' blog where Abbadon said they're just an accessory that acts as an amplifier for the bearer's own powers/natural talents but I can't find it at the moment.
Both could be true pretty easily.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think ley stones are just generic places where you store/channel your power if you practice Art. If you're a demiurge or emissary, that poo poo gets crazy bright because there's a lot of power.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 27, 2016

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I'll be pretty disappointed if the numerical part of angel names is reincarnation and not their creation number. So far, what, it's Mike and metatron that are confirmed prime? Any others?

So that's 1 & 2, where's 3, 5, 7, 11,

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I'll be pretty disappointed if the numerical part of angel names is reincarnation and not their creation number. So far, what, it's Mike and metatron that are confirmed prime? Any others?

So that's 1 & 2, where's 3, 5, 7, 11,

It is reincarnations. That's why the primes like Metatron don't have numbers, and a reckless do-gooder 82 White Chain has such a high number.

Also Abbadon said it explicitly on the answer blog.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Metatron is mentioned as "1" a couple times I thought.

Oh well, they should have had the primes be literal primes, it'd be cooler and weirder imo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh well, they should have had the primes be literal primes, it'd be cooler and weirder imo.

Metratron and Michael are both primes and have numbers. 1 Metatron, as he never died, and 2 Michael, as he was killed by Zoss and reincarnated. The rest of the primes will be 2s when they come back as well.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

White Chain is a cowboy cop who doesn't have time for the captain's politics and therefore is on his/her/its 82nd incarnation, because the 81st died in an incredible kung-fu battle.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Metatron has never reincarnated, so he is Metatron 1, as opposed to 2 Michael.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my personal kgbd theory is that himself isn't unique because of his power but because he is the only piece of the hot black flame that has ever achieved sapience unaided by binding. all that power is just raw unfiltered hot black flame backed by a mind instead of roiling chaos.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Seems to me that Himself could very well be Aesmas husband?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Iny posted:

Huh. Apparently she's been purple and chitinous apart from her face this entire time (source, or any other page she's ever appeared on now that I'm actually looking) and I literally just never noticed.

Nah, she doesn't regain the bug look even when they travel to Mykos. The only real trace at this point is on her hands.

I think we're in for an explanation of why her appearance changed, something like she kept the Yabalchoath look up while around Preem Nand but ditched it once free from him. It doesn't seem unreasonable that chaotic beings might not have strongly fixed forms after all.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Affi posted:

Seems to me that Himself could very well be Aesmas husband?

I thought the whole incident with Aesma's husband predated the creation of the inheritor races?

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Nah, she doesn't regain the bug look even when they travel to Mykos. The only real trace at this point is on her hands.

I think we're in for an explanation of why her appearance changed, something like she kept the Yabalchoath look up while around Preem Nand but ditched it once free from him. It doesn't seem unreasonable that chaotic beings might not have strongly fixed forms after all.

I guess? Honestly this strikes me as being a lot like all the other stupid arguments this thread comes up with over the fine minutia of art in this comic. And, given that all of those arguments turned out to be exactly as stupid as they looked, I'm going to commit to the assumption that no, she's been a bug person this entire time and indeed continues to be a bug person, Abaddon just tends not to bother with drawing all the lines of her carapace. There's no complicated shapechanging thing going on to explain her gradual shift in appearance over the course of the comic, it's just a shift in art styles naturally reflecting the fact that we (and Abaddon, who is drawing her) are seeing her as a person now rather than some sort of weird gremlin.

Iny fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 27, 2016

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

A.o.D. posted:

I thought the whole incident with Aesma's husband predated the creation of the inheritor races?

Maybe. I mean its not like we can trust anything really. And that dude was chained up in a similar way.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Iny posted:

I guess? Honestly this strikes me as being a lot like all the other stupid arguments this thread comes up with over the fine minutia of art in this comic. And, given that all of those arguments turned out to be exactly as stupid as they looked, I'm going to commit to the assumption that no, she's been a bug person this entire time and indeed continues to be a bug person, Abaddon just tends not to bother with drawing all the lines of her carapace. There's no complicated shapechanging thing going on to explain her gradual shift in appearance over the course of the comic, it's just a shift in art styles naturally reflecting the fact that we (and Abaddon, who is drawing her) are seeing her as a person now rather than some sort of weird gremlin.

Also changed was the shape of the horns in her mask, i'm pretty sure she didn't get a new one but when she first shows up they aren't so thin.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Hiveminded posted:

Newly-summoned Cio is holding a chain in the last panel, which I guess clarifies the new relationship she had with her husband.

criminals are a cowardly and supersitious lot, so cio must become something that strikes fear into their heart.

she must embody what they most fear. a chain... a... white chain

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The chain symbolizes both ends of the slavery relationship. One of which she is expressing regret for in that exact panel.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Iny posted:

Nah Cio is clearly using the Art to make herself a better waifu for Allison.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Nah Cio is clearly using the Art to make herself a better waifu for Allison.

"notice me, wobblebrains~"

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
you know, there's no scissors anywhere on the latest page, so how did they cut cio's hair?

i'm thinking allison's magic scissors and now this unexplained haircutting are foreshadowing for some bigger barber-related twist

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

All hair are tiny unbound devils. He sanctioned action is to Cut.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Those scissors hold the key to learning the way of cutting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

hey girl you up posted:

i'm thinking allison's magic scissors and now this unexplained haircutting are foreshadowing for some bigger barber-related twist

Barber shenanigans and devil musical fight shenanigans are just foreshadowing to K6BD Act 2, where Allison, Cio, White Chain, and Princess Mamoru Moonshine create a barbershop quartet. (Nyave is their manager, since she's good at maths.)