Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Avulsion posted:

:siren: Top Ten spoilers :siren:

I need more, and I don't know where my trade paperbacks are. Just another page or two, please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

flosofl posted:

Huh. Worked fine on iOS Awful app.

Yeah, it's mobile browsers they don't work properly on.

You have to tap the image to unspoiler, but also tap the image to expand/retract, and the latter takes priority.

Including some spoilered text to tap on works pretty well too.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Avulsion posted:

:siren: Top Ten spoilers :siren:

Is this the comic (probably just the page before this) where the whole plot is revealed by the character whose "power" is synesthesia?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CzarChasm posted:

Is this the comic (probably just the page before this) where the whole plot is revealed by the character whose "power" is synesthesia?

Yes. I think it involves perfume and music.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

prefect posted:

To be fair, I think she's a psychic (with synesthesia).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

CzarChasm posted:

I think it is pretty much the page before this, yes. In fairness I thought it worked in context of the comic. It didnt come out of nowhere or anything.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

prefect posted:

And a pun!

She hears Beethoven's Ode to Joy, but she smells the Commissioner's perfume, Eau de Joy

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

GrandpaPants posted:

And a pun!

She hears Beethoven's Ode to Joy, but she smells the Commissioner's perfume, Eau de Joy

That's right -- I remembered the first half, but not the second. drat, that Alan Moore can write a good comic book. :allears:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Top Ten is a great comic both in it's general writing, and in the entire setting itself--a procedural police department in a city where everyone is some sort of "super hero"/Monster/Magical being/Whatever. I only wish we had gotten more of it (besides you know, the weird stuff Alan Moore decided to do with Jeff Smax in the back half of the series)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

Top Ten is a great comic both in its general writing, and in the entire setting itself--a procedural police department in a city where everyone is some sort of "super hero"/Monster/Magical being/Whatever. I only wish we had gotten more of it (besides you know, the weird stuff Alan Moore decided to do with Jeff Smax in the back half of the series)

There's Top Ten itself (12 issues)

and the Smax mini (5 issues)

and the hardcover prequel, "The Forty-Niners"

and Top Ten, Season Two (four issues, plus one special, and then it suddenly stops; written by Zander Cannon).

There's also "Top Ten: Beyond the Farthest Precinct", by Paul di Filippo. It's not worth reading.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:siren: Dont read Season Two or Beyond they are utter trash :siren:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Ah drat. Those panels made me miss Top Ten and had me wondering whether that universe was expanded upon.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Oh I've already read all of Top Ten. And the rest of the America's Best Comics (everything but League of Extraordinary Gentlemen takes place in the same world/universe, btw) except for the more recent Tom Strong stuff made in the last 6 years. Anyone know if those two miniseries were any good?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

:siren: Dont read Season Two or Beyond they are utter trash :siren:

Beyond was trash, yes. What did you dislike about Season Two?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Parahexavoctal posted:

Beyond was trash, yes. What did you dislike about Season Two?

Obviously I cant speak for Synthbuttrange, but I mainly remember Season Two just not being a particularly great comic. Nothing terrible enough to be noteworthy, just not that good either. Admittedly, following Alan Moore writing characters he created was always going to be tough, even if you were their co-creator. I've been meaning to reread what was published of Season Two to see if it is as mediocre as I thought at the time or if it was coloured by "These characters were better written when Alan Moore was writing them", particularly as Top Ten is pretty much my favourite thing that Moore has ever written, and pretty much got me back into comics after a long break. As it stands from my vague memory, I wouldnt tell people to avoid them, but equally I wouldnt tell anyone to spend any particular effort obtaining them.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Y'all are wrong; Season Two rules; Zander Cannon is the poo poo

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

So are the Smax mini and the Forty-Niners good?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Both the Smax mini and the Forty-Niners are excellent. The Smax mini is very different from most of Top Ten, however, because it goes back to Smax's origins which are as much of a pastiche take on fairy tales as Top Ten is of cape-and-mask stories. As a result it gets a little... weird at times, but it's still good.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Redeye Flight posted:

Both the Smax mini and the Forty-Niners are excellent. The Smax mini is very different from most of Top Ten, however, because it goes back to Smax's origins which are as much of a pastiche take on fairy tales as Top Ten is of cape-and-mask stories. As a result it gets a little... weird at times, but it's still good.

Smax marries his sister and everyone is okay with it because of cultural relativism. Let that determine if you want to read it or not.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
The whole reason why Jeff Smax plays the silent badass loner character in Top Ten is so people won't find out he's really just a dumb hick from some backwater magical kingdom.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Also he fought a dragon once:

SMAX spoilers:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I'm gonna need some context for what makes those panels badass. Because it looks like 'hero tries to rescue princess, fails so utterly and instantly that the dragon doesn't even bother to harm him, and runs away so fast he winds up in a different genre'.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
That dragon is such a terrifying character.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I was thinking it was all some uh space RP video game, and he pretty much said gently caress it after he failed the quest.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm gonna need some context for what makes those panels badass. Because it looks like 'hero tries to rescue princess, fails so utterly and instantly that the dragon doesn't even bother to harm him, and runs away so fast he winds up in a different genre'.

That's pretty much exactly what happened, except he's invulnerable.

The dragon is bad, and an rear end.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

That dragon is such a terrifying character.

It really really is. Its shape hurts my head, and it seems to have complete, effortless control over time and space. And all it uses it for is cruelty and entertainment.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Choco1980 posted:

It really really is. Its shape hurts my head, and it seems to have complete, effortless control over time and space. And all it uses it for is cruelty and entertainment.

Great design there. His beard resembles a certain category of fractal curve

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

FredMSloniker posted:

I had to look it up myself, but it's basically his origin story I guess " Smax originally hailed from a land based on fantasy myth and fairy tale legends, but had left after a horrifying failure during his career as a dragon slayer."

I should probably get around to reading top 10

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Bohemian Nights posted:

I had to look it up myself, but it's basically his origin story I guess " Smax originally hailed from a land based on fantasy myth and fairy tale legends, but had left after a horrifying failure during his career as a dragon slayer."

I should probably get around to reading top 10

It also shows where that white handprint on his chest came from. I don't think there had been any foreshadowing just how sad a story it was.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

redbackground posted:

It also shows where that white handprint on his chest came from. I don't think there had been any foreshadowing just how sad a story it was.

Yeah, I had assumed it was part of his super beam-shooting power, but now it's less badass and more depressing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Why didn't he kill it?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

redbackground posted:

Not how tragic, but there was definitely some foreshadowing about how bitter he was about where he came from. There's obviously the singing sword in one scene of Top 10, then there was a short conversation he had with his partner about how dragons and magic and all that was poo poo.

Nevvy Z posted:

Why didn't he kill it?

I imagine he was just incredibly demoralized about failing to be a hero.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The only thing I didn't like about Smax's dragon is that don't they pretty much just blow him up in a fairly mundane gas explosion?

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Thanks, thread, for making me read all there yet is of Kill Six Billion Demons in one day.

Not sure if I empathize with YISUN's views or not.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Bobulus posted:

The only thing I didn't like about Smax's dragon is that don't they pretty much just blow him up in a fairly mundane gas explosion?

IIRC it is a fusion or nuclear something something

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Bobulus posted:

It's a bit more complicated than that (spoilers, obvs)

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Okay now that's badass :black101:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Very Discworld-y, that.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Ditch posted:

Okay now that's badass :black101:

Everything involving that dragon is really, just very little of it being the good guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

My first thought on seeing that panel was that it was a very Alan Moore-ish sort of pose and way of looking, not to mention the way the "mustache/beard" frames the mouth. Made a certain amount of sense that such an omniscient character might be portrayed as a projection of an author's darker impulses.