Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
possibly safe in the "not literally cursed" sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mraagvpeine posted:

Dressrosa lasted about 100 chapters, which is about 2 years.

It would have been fine if it was maybe 25-50% as long. The climactic battle basically resetting like three times culminating in a chapter where the hero spent the entire time recharging his ultra was pretty much the perfect end for that arc. Compare that to All Might and All for One's fight and it's really stark and why I'm liking MHA a lot more than One Piece. However the recent One Piece stuff is good again with the Minks and Big Mom so yay. The big multi-month in our time final fights in One Piece have always been weak which is why I'm glad that so far MHA has avoided them completely.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

They're not weeklies so I'd say the genre isn't totally equal in comparison, but both of ONE's active shonen manga are better than MHA.

It's definitely not as bad as it used to be, but ONE's art is so awful I could never consider it the best of anything in a visual medium (don't bring up composition, that's just one element of art)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

It's definitely not as bad as it used to be, but ONE's art is so awful I could never consider it the best of anything in a visual medium (don't bring up composition, that's just one element of art)

Have you watched Mob Psycho 100?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Looper posted:

Ignoring your moving of the goalposts within your own post,

whether or not it looks "good" relative to another work says little about the quality of art.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 5, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheKingofSprings posted:

there is a lot more to a visual medium than whether or not it looks "good" compared to another work.
what chapter is that, because the art in the earlier chapters is so godawful I could not keep reading it.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 5, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

what chapter is that, because the art in the earlier chapters is so godawful I could not keep reading it.

Chapter 52.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Like, defend the story all you want, that's cool, but the art in mob psycho 100 is Not Good

that is better but still not great

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

whether or not it looks "good" relative to another work says little about the quality of art.

ONE's art sucks but he's a good artist

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I have real trouble getting into one's stuff as well tbh. if mob psycho gets the opm treatment, I'd have a much easier time with it

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I have real trouble getting into one's stuff as well tbh. if mob psycho gets the opm treatment, I'd have a much easier time with it

Watch the anime.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't care that much about it

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Now we have a new OVA trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vBvKpRSers

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mob Psycho 100 is probably the best anime of 2016 and if you're writing it off because its source material was drawn by ONE and not Murata you're doing yourself a disservice

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm not writing it off because of who drew the manga wtf are you talking about

reading it would just take less time and I'm not that interested in it on the whole

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Xarbala posted:

Mob Psycho 100 is probably the best anime of 2016
march comes in like a lion would like a word with you

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ONE is a good artist though.
Nothing worse than technically competent manga whose composition is absolute poo poo, has wonky anatomy and scale, and whose action lacks any sense of flow between panels. And especially good is that it works with his kind of stories.

Though I wouldnt sing his praises if his writing wasnt really good.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

as someone who didn't watch mob psycho 100 until 2 weeks ago because i didn't care about it

you're dumb if you don't watch mob psycho 100

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Mob Psycho 100 is fun but not essential, unless you're into animation in which case you should check the anime out for that.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no anime is essential but if they could be mp100 would be in there

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Peel posted:

Mob Psycho 100 is fun but not essential, unless you're into animation in which case you should check the anime out for that.

this opinion is wrong. I will fight you. draw your katana, knave.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

ONE is a good artist though.
Nothing worse than technically competent manga whose composition is absolute poo poo, has wonky anatomy and scale, and whose action lacks any sense of flow between panels.

so Bleach.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

that was the absolute first one that came to mind, yes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's inarguable that the art of MP100's manga is far from perfect but at the same time, it's impossible to imagine Mob Psycho without that art style, which is why the anime went to the lengths it did to maintain it. It's a bit like Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath. Ozzy can't sing for poo poo but he's just right.

The anime is utterly brilliant and is 100% essential if you watch a lot of anime. I'm enjoying Diamond is Unbreakable more (See: ← for bias confirmation)
but MP100's anime is definitely the best anime of the year. It's paced extremely well (My Hero's anime didn't nail this at all. Snail paced is an overstatement), extraordinarily well animated, which absolutely nothing else has tried this year (oil painting animations :hawaaaafap:) and well acted.

Unless we're counting Flying Witch. Flying Witch is probably the anime of the forever.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 5, 2016

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Unless we're counting Flying Witch. Flying Witch is probably the anime of the forever.
Strictly accurate

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best way to get someone to watch an anime is to yell at them and call them stupid for not watching it

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Endorph posted:

the best way to get someone to watch an anime is to yell at them and call them stupid for not watching it

Of course it is, don't you see how often it works?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Endorph posted:

Ah, the Democratic voter outreach method.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

It's inarguable that the art of MP100's manga is far from perfect but at the same time, it's impossible to imagine Mob Psycho without that art style, which is why the anime went to the lengths it did to maintain it. It's a bit like Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath. Ozzy can't sing for poo poo but he's just right.

This. A million times this. Mob is great because while he is an insanely powerful esper, the dude still thinks of himself as average at best in the surface level qualities people tend to look for. The art does the same thing, the art is average at best (and tbh I feel like that's even a stretch), but if you really dig below the surface aspects, the art conveys pretty powerful stories. At first the art is jarring, without any doubt. But as you read the story, it becomes clear that the art serves its own purpose in making the story more powerful.

Paracelsus posted:

ZING!!!!

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Endorph posted:

live by the sword, or die by the sword

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Paracelsus posted:

:drat:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

It's not that they are stupid for not watching it, it's that they are stupid for not wanting to watch it for really petty reasons.

They aren't so much reasons as excuses, so just go watch Mob Psycho 100 and if you come back and you had a bad time, I'm sorry, but I don't really get why you'd like this show then.

You don't have to read Mob Psycho.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
"The art is too off-putting" is a legitimate reason to not want to read something. See also "other things interest me more" and "it just didn't grab me."

I say this as someone who has read MP100 and likes it better than OPM despite my expectations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Right? That's why I'll never watch Ping-pong or Aku no Hana.

Well, it's not just the art there, but I can certainly see why some would be put off by One's art.

That's why I recommend the anime which is a loving treat for your eyes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

fluffykittys, in key party favors' words posted:

anime teen jiggling frog rear end

Gross. Let me know if he posts one of All Might.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Only Friday is worth mention, and only then if JoJo airs.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

agreed.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Only Friday is worth mention, and only then if JoJo airs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!