Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i guess if you are comparing it to the lease deal they are selling but in no way is that a 22.5k bargian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
If they got one over on me I'll live with it. I'm not exactly hurting for money. Not that I won't feel dumb though. If it turns out I got hosed I'll have a coworker call VW Credit/VWoA and raise hell. He got a lot of insane poo poo from them on a Golf R he leased after a few phone calls. $850 down and the MO sales tax another guy mentioned doesn't include additional for city, which is at least another 4%. If I buy it out within 6 months I'll only owe the difference between listed purchase price($22.5k) and the $19k I'll get for my TDI.

It was basically explained to me as the full lease term being significantly more than an early buyout like I plan to do. They said my buyout price would be $24k and change with the service plan and fees. They could have gotten one over on me though since this is the first time I've had to do a lease. Lesson hopefully learned if so!

e: this is why I've always done my own financing in the past. Here's x amount of money, give me a car.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 7, 2016

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Doing this lease will end up costing more than if it was financed for the higher price when using VW's 1.9% promo rate, by at least a couple thousand dollars. Since the plan was to buy the car, this was not a good deal.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The joys of dealing with dealerships.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
also do not pay your lease down early unless the money factor is absurd

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So I should have focused on the payments + residual instead of the purchase price and fees like they were leading me to believe? Lesson learned I guess. I'm going back up there to get my Golf, gonna ask them about it. Hope they aren't counting on a good review if I did get hosed like you guys are saying.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well it's more that leasing is not usually going to work out in the buyer's favor of getting a good deal.

the exception to that rule is that sometimes manufacturers will offer good lease prices for high volume cars in competitive markets--that's how you'll sometimes see deals on stuff like jettas or corollas for 100/mo for 2 or 3 years.

the residual isn't worth focusing on too much--basically you need to look at the lease as you're renting a car for 2-3 years and you can buy it at the end. If that model of car has generally depreciated more and can be bought for less than the residual price it might be better to walk away and buy a different one coming off lease. if the market value is higher than the residual you can exercise the option to buy it and drive it or sell it at a profit.

sometimes convenience is a good reason to lease, sometimes you can write them off as a tax deduction.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Dude has still convinced me I'm not getting hosed, so if I am he's really good at his job and I'll have to take this one.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

fknlo posted:

Dude has still convinced me I'm not getting hosed, so if I am he's really good at his job and I'll have to take this one.

Either way, this is a good attitude to have about this sort of thing. Especially since it's all done and there is no backing out.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Eh, gently caress it, if anything it's convenience when you get the new car itch in a couple years.

I owe 19k on my '16, KBB PP is ~18.5k / KBB Trade-in is ~15.5k. I've got dealers crawling up my rear end who want to go no higher than 16k so I have to deal with random people to get what I want out of it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Either way, this is a good attitude to have about this sort of thing. Especially since it's all done and there is no backing out.

He also convinced me that buying out the lease after the first 5 payments(minimum I have to make to keep one of the $1k discounts) is also still a good idea. I asked him what the buyout number should be after those payments and he said $21-22k. I won't have a hard number until I get my VW Credit account, but if that's the case I can't see a reason why I wouldn't do that. As you can tell, I don't know poo poo about leasing cars though :v:

I did let him know that if he's loving me he's really good at it. He got a decent laugh out of it.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 8, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why exactly did you lease the car if you plan to buy it anyways?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

BraveUlysses posted:

well it's more that leasing is not usually going to work out in the buyer's favor of getting a good deal.

the exception to that rule is that sometimes manufacturers will offer good lease prices for high volume cars in competitive markets--that's how you'll sometimes see deals on stuff like jettas or corollas for 100/mo for 2 or 3 years.

the residual isn't worth focusing on too much--basically you need to look at the lease as you're renting a car for 2-3 years and you can buy it at the end. If that model of car has generally depreciated more and can be bought for less than the residual price it might be better to walk away and buy a different one coming off lease. if the market value is higher than the residual you can exercise the option to buy it and drive it or sell it at a profit.

sometimes convenience is a good reason to lease, sometimes you can write them off as a tax deduction.

Leasing can be a good deal on a lot of cars. Just not usually on performance cars or highly desirable ones. For daily driver type cars or cuv's it's a good way to go.

This was not one of those situations. Realistically on a car at that price point a decent lease should have been between $280-$320 with everything rolled in.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Why exactly did you lease the car if you plan to buy it anyways?

Because if they're being truthful with me I should be able to own it outright for somewhere in the neighborhood of $24-25k whereas the incentives with financing started at $25.5k. If they're not, and I should find out once I get a VW Credit account set up, I'll drive the ever loving poo poo out of the car for 3 years and give it back. Whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fknlo posted:

Because if they're being truthful with me I should be able to own it outright for somewhere in the neighborhood of $24-25k whereas the incentives with financing started at $25.5k. If they're not, and I should find out once I get a VW Credit account set up, I'll drive the ever loving poo poo out of the car for 3 years and give it back. Whatever.

I have never heard of any lease ending up being cheaper than a standard loan. But I hope they are indeed NOT loving you!

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Sheehy and King VW are offering the GTI S for $175/$179 a month. Manual and only 10k miles, but I'm thinking that's a pretty good deal.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
don't worry about getting ripped off, most people do; spend 300$ on a JB1 and wonder why your car went from peppy to hot so easily

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Forreal. A JB1 with a downpipe turns this thing around.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Who does a dyno in miles per hour? :wtc:

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking of which, what on earth kind of rims/tires do I put on a GTI now that the tune makes the thing want to slip on every start with barely tapping the gas?

e: and does the thing really need a straighter downpipe? do they really design these things stock that cheap?

JollyPubJerk fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 8, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

JollyPubJerk posted:

speaking of which, what on earth kind of rims/tires do I put on a GTI now that the tune makes the thing want to slip on every start with barely tapping the gas?

You're hosed. Don't bother with this thing in first, short shift into second.

edit: To your edit, the big difference is in the elbow coming off the turbo.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlackMK4 posted:

You're hosed. Don't bother with this thing in first, short shift into second.

edit: To your edit, the big difference is in the elbow coming off the turbo.

dsg ?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ah, sorry, mine is a 6MT.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Good GOD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7y_QLShVak

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

There was a red one in Perth for sale for like $40k on carsales.

had full martini livery and was RHD converted, tuned for around 260HP

EDIT: theres a few still on there.
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Lancia-Delta-1987/SSE-AD-4229015/?Cr=10

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Lancia-Delta-1988/OAG-AD-13700833/?Cr=0

Laserface fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 8, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Laserface posted:

There was a red one in Perth for sale for like $40k on carsales.

had full martini livery and was RHD converted, tuned for around 260HP

I love them so much. And that name is just so wonderful to say.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Getting in before CT tells us all how dumb we are for liking it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Forreal. A JB1 with a downpipe turns this thing around.

JB1 and turbo back exhaust are definitely going to happen. Just need to figure out what exhaust I'm going to run.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Won't the lease prevent you from doing that?

(I know nothing about leases either)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

If he does a buyout like he says, nope.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I've never leased but isn't lease->buyout the absolute worst way to buy a car financially speaking? Hey we're gonna gently caress you for the depreciation we usually eat as well as a forced used car deal you can't walk away from, enjoy this double sided dildo. Please put a new engine in it so you absolutely have to buyout, that's the ideal scenario for a shady dealer!

I mean I know there is a lot of "creativity" to gently caress consumers over in the car financing world but this seems particularly bad.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dr.Caligari posted:

It's all removable even if I don't buy the car out :getin:

Pryor on Fire posted:

I've never leased but isn't lease->buyout the absolute worst way to buy a car financially speaking? Hey we're gonna gently caress you for the depreciation we usually eat as well as a forced used car deal you can't walk away from, enjoy this double sided dildo.

I mean I know there is a lot of "creativity" to gently caress consumers over in the car financing world but this seems particularly bad.

This was my impression as well, and why I had to think pretty hard about doing it, but they did a really good job of convincing me that this will work out fine for me. Twice. We'll see what happens! If I'm getting hosed I'll just drive the poo poo out of the car for the lease period and give it back.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

You don't have to be a math wiz to figure it out. But generally, leasing is advantages profit wise vs buying for the dealership/manufacturer.

money down + Tax, title, license fees + (Monthly payment * 12 months * how many years lease is) = total amount you pay for lease. Since you paid nothing down and tax is rolled into the monthly payment of $403, your 3 year lease cost is $14,508.

Add that to the amount that the car will cost you to buy outright when the lease is over which the dealer will tell you if you ask...and that's how much you pay for the car. Yours is $16663.95, so your total you're paying for the car if you buy it at the end is $31,171.95

Since you're buying it out early, I don't know what the buyout price will be at that time and what they told you, but you have to pay at least 6 months of it you said.

6*403 = $2418 + buyout price. Did they mention what the buyout will be then?

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 8, 2016

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Larrymer posted:

6*403 = $2418 + buyout price. Did they mention what the buyout will be then?

The finance dude at the dealership reaffirmed yesterday that it should be in the neighborhood of $21k at that point. I'll find out for sure once I get the info to set up my VW Credit account for payments.

Anyone else get mad wheel hop in their GTI? It was damp and slick yesterday and I'm being pretty drat gentle since the car has 100 miles and the wheel hop I was getting was pretty bad. I don't know if it was just the particular conditions or what, but it was bad.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

PaintVagrant posted:

Hey fist bros who run general altimax 185/60/15 winters. What air pressure are you running? Mine are at 36 all round, but they look and feel a little squishy...

Between 36 and 38 here.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fknlo posted:

The finance dude at the dealership reaffirmed yesterday that it should be in the neighborhood of $21k at that point. I'll find out for sure once I get the info to set up my VW Credit account for payments.

Anyone else get mad wheel hop in their GTI? It was damp and slick yesterday and I'm being pretty drat gentle since the car has 100 miles and the wheel hop I was getting was pretty bad. I don't know if it was just the particular conditions or what, but it was bad.

Get a 034 Motorsports dogbone insert. If you have a version 1 car then I have one for $20 shipped.

Also, stop getting on it in first. You need to shortshift this car to 2nd.
https://store.034motorsport.com/mqb-dogbone-mount-insert-mkvii-volkswagen-golf-gti-r-8v-audi-a3-s3-billet-aluminum.html

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
About to have all-seasons put on my 2014 FocusST. Still have the stock summers on there.

There's still tread on them, but they're a couple years old now with 22k miles on em. Should I bother keeping them after the new tires are put on, or just let the shop dispose of them?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sell them to used tire shop. Better than nothing which is what you'll get from the tire shop.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Good call. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Ferret King posted:

Good call. Thanks.

If you're in the greater Boston area I'll buy them off you