Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

pathetic little tramp posted:

With this victory let's all stand for the National Anthem of North Carolina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHnA94-hTC8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Now all he has to do is not pack the court on the way out, and North Carolina will have a chance to succeed.

Until redistricting happens the biggest change (and don't get me wrong, it's a huge one) is veto power. The state legislature will continue to be beyond terrible.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

With this victory let's all stand for the National Anthem of North Carolina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QrDOGcZDow

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Asnorban posted:

Until redistricting happens the biggest change (and don't get me wrong, it's a huge one) is veto power. The state legislature will continue to be beyond terrible.

Yeah, there are veto proof majorities in both houses still, so for the next year at least, there will be some pain.

Still... McCrory's and Edmunds's losses send a message. If the GA tries to overpress, there are consequences for Republicans in statewide races.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I dunno, in light of recent events I feel like the public cares less about local and state legislature than you think. People are really only interested in the national level, so I don't see how the GOP overreaching would hurt them instead of just going ignored. But maybe I just have little faith in my fellow citizens :sigh:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

:woop:

Here's to the land of the long leaf pine,
The summer land where the sun doth shine,
Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great,
Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!
Here's to the land of the cotton bloom white,
Where the scuppernong perfumes the breeze at night,
Where the soft southern moss and jessamine mate,
'Neath the murmuring pines of the Old North State!
Here's to the land where the galax grows,
Where the rhododendron's rosette glows,
Where soars Mount Mitchell's summit great,
In the "Land of the Sky," in the Old North State!
Here's to the land where maidens are fair,
Where friends are true and cold hearts rare,
The near land, the dear land, whatever fate,
The blessed land, the best land, the Old North State!
hear hear

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Bodyholes posted:

Yeah, there are veto proof majorities in both houses still, so for the next year at least, there will be some pain.

Still... McCrory's and Edmunds's losses send a message. If the GA tries to overpress, there are consequences for Republicans in statewide races.

next years elections gonna be crazy, thats for sure
i wonder how much more theyll drag their feet in court over them?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Pollyanna posted:

I dunno, in light of recent events I feel like the public cares less about local and state legislature than you think. People are really only interested in the national level, so I don't see how the GOP overreaching would hurt them instead of just going ignored. But maybe I just have little faith in my fellow citizens :sigh:

A lot of people do care about local and state legislature. They just tend to be on the conservative/libertarian side of the spectrum. It's a problem that the DNC doesn't seem to care to address and it's one of the reasons why they're going to be gerrymandered out of relevance for another decade.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
A nice long tweetthread about the Moral Monday movement and the good it did in NC:

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/805862394497040384

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
I feel like putting together a shame list for McCheese, but might get tired of it. Maybe we can collaborate

John "abiotic oil is real" Skvarla for head of DENR

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
aldona wos
margaret spellings
little ricky diaz
art pope of course

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

-Presided over the gutting of NC's education spending

-Broke campaign promises and passed the most draconian abortion restrictions in the state's history--closing all but a handful of centers

-Shifted the tax burden from the rich to the poor and middle class

-Failed to stop the general assembly when they retroactively and spitefully canceled the Dorothea Dix deal Perdue had made with the city of Raleigh.

-Failed to stop the general assembly when they seized Charlotte's airport, and Asheville's water supply.

-Failed to stop the general assembly when they redrew districts for municipal elections in Raleigh and Greensboro and gerrymandered the hell out of them, to help further convert this state into a dictatorship.

-Fought to protect his buddies in Duke Energy from oversight and accountability when dealing with the coal ash disasters that have occurred under his term.

-Passed HB2, costing us $400 million in business, making us the laughing stock of the country, setting our civil rights back a nice few decades, as well as eliminating a lot of worker protections in more obscure sections of the law which help further convert NC's workforce into serfs, and he intended to keep this insane law so long as he stayed in office. The potential for our major cities to attract business and grow was permanently set back by this.

-Tried to prevent the Supreme Court election from occurring this year by passing a law calling for a retention election for Edmunds. Had it not been overturned in federal courts, voters merely would've chosen whether to keep or fire Edmunds, after which McCrory would appoint the replacement. For me I think this one was the lowest. This guy doesn't like democracy very much, that's clear.

...The list isn't finished yet... there's still the special session. Will he pack the court?

Bodyholes has issued a correction as of 22:59 on Dec 5, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bodyholes posted:

...The list isn't finished yet... there's still the special session. Will he pack the court?

I've yet to see a single good argument for why they wouldn't pack the court during the special session. His concession could even be to soften the blow of doing so since packing the court while fighting a losing battle over the governorship would probably look too corrupt even for the NC GOP.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bodyholes posted:

-Presided over the gutting of NC's education spending

-Broke campaign promises and passed the most draconian abortion restrictions in the state's history--closing all but a handful of centers

-Shifted the tax burden from the rich to the poor and middle class

-Failed to stop the general assembly when they retroactively and spitefully canceled the Dorothea Dix deal Perdue had made with the city of Raleigh.

-Failed to stop the general assembly when they seized Charlotte's airport, and Asheville's water supply.

-Failed to stop the general assembly when they redrew districts for municipal elections in Raleigh and Greensboro and gerrymandered the hell out of them, to help further convert this state into a dictatorship.

-Fought to protect his buddies in Duke Energy from oversight and accountability when dealing with the coal ash disasters that have occurred under his term.

-Passed HB2, costing us $400 million in business, making us the laughing stock of the country, setting our civil rights back a nice few decades, as well as eliminating a lot of worker protections in more obscure sections of the law which help further convert NC's workforce into serfs, and he intended to keep this insane law so long as he stayed in office. The potential for our major cities to attract business and grow was permanently set back by this.

-Tried to prevent the Supreme Court election from occurring this year by passing a law calling for a retention election for Edmunds. Had it not been overturned in federal courts, voters merely would've chosen whether to keep or fire Edmunds, after which McCrory would appoint the replacement. For me I think this one was the lowest. This guy doesn't like democracy very much, that's clear.

This is a good list. I copied it onto my FB feed and made sure to attribute it to "SA forums user 'Bodyholes'".

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've yet to see a single good argument for why they wouldn't pack the court during the special session.

99% of the poo poo they're trying to pull involves violating federal laws, and trump will appoint scalia's replacement soon, so just about anything can get bumped to federal court and appealed to scotus

that's really about it. lord knows they're all spiteful enough to do it

Bodyholes posted:

-witch hunts against state whistleblowers and chasing career civil servants out of pretty much every agency

-had a guy in a grocery store fired because the guy didn't kiss his rear end

-sent out a plate of chocolate chip cookies to a group protesting the motorcycle vagina bill

-this loving ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IKnvI3DUbA

The Muppets On PCP has issued a correction as of 23:29 on Dec 5, 2016

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Phone posted:

This is a good list. I copied it onto my FB feed and made sure to attribute it to "SA forums user 'Bodyholes'".
Agreed, good stuff. Another item:

Pat blamed non-existent teacher unions for getting in the way of pay raises

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've yet to see a single good argument for why they wouldn't pack the court during the special session. His concession could even be to soften the blow of doing so since packing the court while fighting a losing battle over the governorship would probably look too corrupt even for the NC GOP.

I think they will do it and cite the democrats adding justices to the Court of Appeals back in 2000 as precedent.

Now, the 2000 thing is somewhat different because democrats had held onto their majority on the Court of Appeals fair and square in the 2000 election, so adding justices afterwards didn't change who controlled the court. But much the same way "democrats did it before" isn't really true for the gerrymandering either... it's enough of a thin "tit for tat" excuse for their base to buy it and be okay with it, and that's all they need.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I'd like to think this dude in front of me today was weeping in his Dalemobile at the news

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I'd like to think this dude in front of me today was weeping in his Dalemobile at the news

How did this dude manage to castrate the Hulk?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

The standard red white black 88 always rubbed me the wrong way and I don't follow NASCAR, is this a standard variant? Hope it's just the dude's fantasy car, like Dale uploaded to the matrix and he writes sweet fanfics on his days off

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sweart gliwere posted:

The standard red white black 88 always rubbed me the wrong way and I don't follow NASCAR, is this a standard variant? Hope it's just the dude's fantasy car, like Dale uploaded to the matrix and he writes sweet fanfics on his days off

he drives a green mountain dew sponsored car from time to time

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Who're your favorite drivers?

Tony Stewart and Dale Jr, in that order

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Welp. Looks like we could just be giving him to the entire country now. Not even 24 hours before this garbage. http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/308952-mccrory-to-meet-with-trump-amid-conceding-nc-governors-race

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
If McCheese takes a national position, I retract my previously-undisclosed retraction of a secret plan to spend a week stalking him for ball taps (if I secretly get invisibility powers)

sweart gliwere has issued a correction as of 21:19 on Dec 6, 2016

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
you gotta hand it to him, the guy knows how to fail upward

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Don't forget several of his 2012 campaign people were handed cushy state jobs that didn't exist before 2013 and for which they did not qualify. Just give a $115k job to buddies while freezing pay for teachers with 15 years experience.

gently caress you McCheese.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I think the only lesson that will be taken from this is that bathroom bills are a losing issue. Whatever else McCrory may have done seems to have flown under the radar. So North Carolinians expect your republican state legislature to stay the course for the next 4 years, minus bathroom bills.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

They overpressed hard right social issues in an election year. Richard Burr and Donald Trump denounced HB2 and won the state handily. McCrory was stubborn about it and lost, and he only barely lost, which suggests they can get away with an awful lot.

That Burr won by so much more than Trump is a deeply troubling sign for progressives' prospects in future races here. Burr's an extremely unpopular senator, he's a corrupt rear end in a top hat, but his base doesn't see that. Ross was also the strongest senate candidate the democrats had fielded in a long time here. If she'd lost by the same amount as Clinton that would be one thing but she got crushed.

The fact that Democrats couldn't beat Tillis either in 2014, a candidate with even more baggage than McCrory at the time, is a huge problem.

NC dems need to integrate the Moral Monday movement into their message more there's still a separation between what the state party is pushing and what the voters want. And they've got to find some way to dial up the youth turnout or NC will be a red state for the next decade.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

maybe if there were a DNC chair candidate whose only message is increasing turnout, but uh-oh, he may have said some meanie poo things about Israel

owDAWG
May 18, 2008
Our states districts are the most gerrymandered in the nation. Lets put it this way the republican party drew a district specifically to encompass black people and minorities.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/qsahmed/the-10-most-gerrymandered-districts-in-america-dh45?utm_term=.jcQJYEDBXb#.wdJB8OVwpK

The republican party in NC can pretty much get away with anything until the next census even though our state is pretty much an even mix of Democrats and Republicans. That is assuming no one stops them from redrawing the districts themselves after the next census.

McCrory was the only republican to really lose in NC which says a lot.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

owDAWG posted:

Several Republicans in statewide races lost. Taking away Robert Edmunds' seat on the Supreme Court was a major victory for democrats.

Also Buck "Keep our State Straight" Newton lost, which is good. Keeping the Attorney General seat will be important in the coming years. It's a good launchpost for senate and governor candidates in the future, and it's good to have for when NC passes lovely unconstitutional laws, since a good AG won't defend them in Federal Court.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

owDAWG posted:

Our states districts are the most gerrymandered in the nation. Lets put it this way the republican party drew a district specifically to encompass black people and minorities.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/qsahmed/the-10-most-gerrymandered-districts-in-america-dh45?utm_term=.jcQJYEDBXb#.wdJB8OVwpK

The republican party in NC can pretty much get away with anything until the next census even though our state is pretty much an even mix of Democrats and Republicans. That is assuming no one stops them from redrawing the districts themselves after the next census.

NC has been forced to redraw their districts by March and, once approved, hold new elections in 2017. So there's a real chance, next year, for North Carolina to be saved. Go get involved and put the state back in control of democrats.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Moral of the story: No large organization is the impenetrable wall it appears to be, and that only by refusing to fight against them does it become reality.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bodyholes posted:

The fact that Democrats couldn't beat Tillis either in 2014, a candidate with even more baggage than McCrory at the time, is a huge problem.

hagan should've been a warning sign to the clinton campaign; she narrowly lost for the exact same reasons

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

The Muppets On PCP posted:

hagan should've been a warning sign to the clinton campaign; she narrowly lost for the exact same reasons

Definitely. Perdue as well. The decline of third way democrats in governorships, congressional races, and legislatures in every single one of the swing states should've been an omen for the national party.

Democrats like losing though so they ignored it.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

NC has been forced to redraw their districts by March and, once approved, hold new elections in 2017. So there's a real chance, next year, for North Carolina to be saved. Go get involved and put the state back in control of democrats.

The big problem is Democrats don't turn out in non-presidential years. That combined with it being a special election doesn't give me much hope, even with the redrawn districts, for things to swing that much.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bodyholes posted:

Definitely. Perdue as well. The decline of third way democrats in governorships, congressional races, and legislatures in every single one of the swing states should've been an omen for the national party.

Democrats like losing though so they ignored it.

the bigger issue and this applied as much to hfa when it was ofa is it's only designed to get the president elected, and they're so entwined with the national party that it basically ensures zero support ever makes its way downticket or in off years

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Asnorban posted:

The big problem is Democrats don't turn out in non-presidential years. That combined with it being a special election doesn't give me much hope, even with the redrawn districts, for things to swing that much.

I think new party leadership and Dems being an opposition party could change that though. Midterm elections are usually referendums on the governing party, and if an Ellison-led DNC can finally get the party to ditch OFA's top-down bullshit in favor of downticket strategies that work, the Dems have a big opportunity to rebuild in the next few years

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

HorseRenoir posted:

I think new party leadership and Dems being an opposition party could change that though. Midterm elections are usually referendums on the governing party, and if an Ellison-led DNC can finally get the party to ditch OFA's top-down bullshit in favor of downticket strategies that work, the Dems have a big opportunity to rebuild in the next few years
you think the democrats will organize anything here in 10 and a half months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

you think the democrats will organize anything here in 10 and a half months?

I think it just depends on how much the state party does and whether the DNC is smart enough to support them instead of doing whatever the gently caress they've been doing for the past eight years

• Locked thread