Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Before I burn 35 energy on the trial, is there any strat/gimmick I should look out for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

m.hache posted:

Before I burn 35 energy on the trial, is there any strat/gimmick I should look out for?

Lots.

https://exviuswiki.com/Attack_of_the_2-Headed_Dragon

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Is the special Lightning only ability worth picking up or should I just grab four Attacker materia?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Servaetes posted:

Is the special Lightning only ability worth picking up or should I just grab four Attacker materia?

I'm pretty sure it's garbage, you really only want +ATK on Lightning except for specific boss stuff or arena shenanigans.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Daily pull is...

...my first Cecil

oh

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Noob question. Is there any harm in using the pots before maxing out a character?

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.

NinjaDebugger posted:

She's Kain but with elemental instead of lance, slightly more atk/def, and weaker jumps. Or, if you prefer, Freya with single target elemental and more attack instead of healing.

Either way, she's not top tier, and unlike those two, has a less immediately desirable TMR, but if you're like some poor fools and have thirteen clouds, farming up a quick equip spear so you can put a couple gungnir on a cloud is acceptable.

Excuse me, 16 clouds. Pulled two more today and I was at 14 yesterday.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

VegasShirtGuy posted:

Noob question. Is there any harm in using the pots before maxing out a character?

No, they carry over, even if you awaken them to the next level. Don't be afraid to use pots, there's never really a need to hoard them. Well if you don't have a Cecil or Exdeath, it might be worth hoarding the limit burst pots, they are only useful for a very few units.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Did a daily and a few ticket pulls because I have no impulse control and want a Lightning to call my own.

No luck, but I did get a Hope and a Fang and another Butz so there is that.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Running this event with Fang, Hope and a friend Lightning doesn't feel to bad after all. Just grinding ELT and hoping for that Bonus Unit. Getting good Gears in this way.

Nearly finished the Cactuars, Tix and Quartz already. Guess I will go for some 6* Mats then too. Or just dump some NRG into the Dunes I guess while they are up.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Burned 6 tix and also fell victim to blowing 500 lapis on accident
Gold Sazh
2 Butz
Alma was the 500 lapis, ha
Vanille
Arc
Rainbow....Lightning

I'll take blowing the 500 lapis for that

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Daily was a Fang.
Decided to go in on a ticket, got my 3rd Zidane. I will always take more dual wields. Second ticket was my very first Vaan! Don't really need him but it's good to have. Then I got deClyne'd and I figure that's a good place to call it.

Would love a Lightning, hell, getting my first 5* base would be awesome no matter who it was. But I guess I'll hold on to my remaining tickets for Noctis if he's coming real soon, or Orlandu.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I get 960 gears with 3x Sazh, Vanille, Lightning, and friend Lightning on Pro, solid.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Of course they buff the event so now it's actually a toss up between Farming Cactuars or Farming Gears.

Gumi, you assholes.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Got a Hope, 2 Fangs, Lenna, and Celes. Are any of those good?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cactaurs now, gears later. All you really need from the Mog store are the summon tickets and the 100 taurs. They can easily be acquired between Monday and Thursday. You might even get the 30k trust moogle too. Everything else in the store is trash except for any six star mats you might also need. Maybe get the elixirs too.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 9, 2016

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Can someone please provide advice on how to beat Gilgamesh? ELT was going fine until he destroyed me in the final battle.

I had brought Agrais for Full Break, Lenna for Cheer/Heals, Charlotte for Provoke/Defend, and my two maxed CoD's and a CoD friend.

My other characters I could slot in include maxed ExDeath x2, Vaan, or Bartz. Everyone else is stuck at 5* right now, including my two Cecils.

Should I consider bringing a friend Cecil and replacing Charlotte with an ExDeath? Or a second healer (...Fina)?

Thanks for any tips!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I got Snow and Hope and Fang from tickets. Now if only I could actually beat Hanging Edge ELT, this might have been good!! Well I could use a good tank so Snow is good regardless

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I got Snow and Hope and Fang from tickets. Now if only I could actually beat Hanging Edge ELT, this might have been good!! Well I could use a good tank so Snow is good regardless

I've been running 2 Fangs, 1 Saszh and a buddy lightning on Pro.

It's much easier so I can bring 1* units along for the bonus.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

kalensc posted:

Can someone please provide advice on how to beat Gilgamesh? ELT was going fine until he destroyed me in the final battle.

I had brought Agrais for Full Break, Lenna for Cheer/Heals, Charlotte for Provoke/Defend, and my two maxed CoD's and a CoD friend.

My other characters I could slot in include maxed ExDeath x2, Vaan, or Bartz. Everyone else is stuck at 5* right now, including my two Cecils.

Should I consider bringing a friend Cecil and replacing Charlotte with an ExDeath? Or a second healer (...Fina)?

Thanks for any tips!

Cecil as a second healer and the tank is probably the way to go. Two maxed CoDs should be good DPS. Try to keep Omniviel up for Greg's wind aoe attack, remember to full break every turn, and if you feel that Greg is dishing out too much damage don't forget you can force close the app and hope for better RNG. I beat him with a similar setup: Kefka, Cloud, Lenna, Cecil, Faris, and friend super Cloud and I had a few bad rounds where I had to reset.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

I decided that saving all these pulls for either the upgrade of the gatcha (that may never happen) or splurging for TG Cid (with abysmal drop rates) is silly, so I went ahead and drop 5000 lapis in an equally foolish attempt at pink-haired Cloud, or maybe at least my first Zidane. Here's the result, my very first 11-pull:

So while there weren't any rainbow crystals in that batch, I added some new characters and some excellent TMRs to the queue with Bracer x 2, a second Ribbon, second Meteor, second Letters & Arms, and third Excalibur should I ever get around to them.

I'll wait until next week to decided whether to spend any more of these savings.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

Is re rolling absolutely necessary for a five

Seems like a bit of a chore

Yes it's a chore.

No, you don't have to do it.

I would do it anyways. Gilg or Lightning will make you happy fellow.

Shark Tower posted:

Charlotte and Hayate's 6*'s are up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/wiki/units/254
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/wiki/units/219

Pfft Hayate's first 6* ability is Encounter Rate -50%, learned at lvl 1.

And all his big attacks are Hybdrid.

Mile'ionaha fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 9, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

KDdidit posted:

The metal Gigantaurs don't seem to give any more gears

Looks like it was an additive boost to the base, not a multiplicative to the total.

Normal runs gave ~100 before, and Gigantuars gave ~400 on top of that, for a total of 500ish.

They added a flat 100 to the totals, so now normal runs give ~200, and finding a gigantuar still gives ~400, for a total of ~600.

ZenVulgarity posted:

As stated, it's not absolutely necessary, you can truck on just fine without it.

That said, there is very definitely a point where your story-granted characters are going to drop off in usefulness, characters that can't awaken higher than 4* will end up being garbage, and you'll hit a point where you can't rely on friend units. (There's a common point in-story where you have to take on a boss in the middle of a town where that happens, traditionally). Not having any good units by that point is going to brick wall you, and hard.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Ain't no party like an Exdeath party

Yeah yeah yeah I'm still working on leveling and getting him better equipment

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I'm so dumb for fusing my second Exdeath into my other one. I didn't know how good he was and had been fusing all my duplicates.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Scrublord Prime posted:

Cecil as a second healer and the tank is probably the way to go. Two maxed CoDs should be good DPS. Try to keep Omniviel up for Greg's wind aoe attack, remember to full break every turn, and if you feel that Greg is dishing out too much damage don't forget you can force close the app and hope for better RNG. I beat him with a similar setup: Kefka, Cloud, Lenna, Cecil, Faris, and friend super Cloud and I had a few bad rounds where I had to reset.

That went a bit better but still couldn't keep Lenna nor Agrias alive past the 3rd round. CoDs are only doing 15-20k per hit of barrage and ExDeath was out of MP after 3 turns of Dual Meteor, so lacking DPS as well argh.

How late in an action can I force-quit and reload the app? If I do it as soon as I see if Cecil's cover was successful, i.e. when damage is popping up, will it work?

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

That said, there is very definitely a point where your story-granted characters are going to drop off in usefulness, characters that can't awaken higher than 4* will end up being garbage, and you'll hit a point where you can't rely on friend units. (There's a common point in-story where you have to take on a boss in the middle of a town where that happens, traditionally). Not having any good units by that point is going to brick wall you, and hard.

I'd go as far as saying non 6* capable units are no longer really viable, with the exception of full breakers since there's no real 6* option yet for them. That'll change soon with Rain's 6*, and later WoL's.

It's a shame. Some of the upcoming 5*'s look like they'd be nifty to play around with. Like Ulrika's 'nothing but counters' skillset.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I could have a second Arc replace one of my three Kefka, but would a 6* Kefka outweigh a *5 Arc? Three Wings of Ruin LB are kinda great as are chains of Hyperdrive.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

ZenVulgarity posted:

It might seem like a chore, but having a 5* base is a HUGE advantage, look at how many people in the thread complain about not even seeing a Rainbow.

So yeah, spend those 2 hours or how ever long it takes you to pull one. Well worth it.

Or don't and then bitch 6 months from now when you haven't pulled one and have spent hundreds of dollars on trying to pull one.

At the very least I would pull until I got a 6* capable unit, that was base 4 and highly rated on the wiki. Like Agrias or WoL.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Kitted out Kain to 490 atk with double Dragon Killer and twin lance. He should be very good at killing the 2 headed dragon. I will leave him up for a couple of days so people can use him to beat the trial.

EDIT: Yep, he's good at it. Dragon went down without much trouble and now I have a fancy new hat.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 9, 2016

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Used all of my tickets against my better judgement...5 Fangs, Hope, Celes, Kefka and a few BE scrub characters. Good poo poo.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

kalensc posted:

That went a bit better but still couldn't keep Lenna nor Agrias alive past the 3rd round. CoDs are only doing 15-20k per hit of barrage and ExDeath was out of MP after 3 turns of Dual Meteor, so lacking DPS as well argh.

How late in an action can I force-quit and reload the app? If I do it as soon as I see if Cecil's cover was successful, i.e. when damage is popping up, will it work?

I couldn't find an exact time when a round was "resolved" and resetting took you to the start of your next turn. There's some point between when the enemy takes their final action and before the animation ends that it locks you in I think. I'd watch to see what the enemy did based on animations, numbers, and health. If I saw Greg do his AoE wind slash and shoot a missile or two at Lenna it was a safe bet she was going down so I'd reset right away. Resetting is free so you can afford to be generous; If things look bad or Greg shot a ton of missiles or your nose feels itchy then reset and hope for better luck. I had reset quite a few times before I got my Greg down.

MP is an issue, without the super DPS of good TMs it'll be a slog. Fill up on Turbo Ethers and Elixirs. I know I ran out on my CoD on Omniviel duty and if Cecil was lucky enough to be the only one punched I coudl top him up with a single Elixir instead of multiple Curajas.

If you have the farplane souls work on crafting some DEF+10%s and load them up on Lenna and Agrias. Crafting Muscle Belts helps too for HP+10% but there might not be enough time for that.

I was also wrong with my setup, I brought Maxwell instead of Kefka because Kefka is loving tissue paper. Maxwell was mostly an item flunky, she wasn't really contributing much to DPS with her moveset but she was durable enough to put off dying. It took... 8 rounds I think? It was a definite slog.

Shark Tower posted:

I'd go as far as saying non 6* capable units are no longer really viable, with the exception of full breakers since there's no real 6* option yet for them. That'll change soon with Rain's 6*, and later WoL's.

It's a shame. Some of the upcoming 5*'s look like they'd be nifty to play around with. Like Ulrika's 'nothing but counters' skillset.

Yeah, the power creep in this game is getting to my party. Lenna explodes way too easily and she's my best healer. I can barely use Kefka for similar reasons.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Any suggestions how to get good items? Weapons, armor, accessories - I need them all. I am in the middle of the third island and started doing story content again hoping that I find a town with something good...not sure that I will find anything but I'm not sure how else to upgrade my bad items.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Is FANG someone I care about pulling? Because I did.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

rio posted:

Any suggestions how to get good items? Weapons, armor, accessories - I need them all. I am in the middle of the third island and started doing story content again hoping that I find a town with something good...not sure that I will find anything but I'm not sure how else to upgrade my bad items.

Grind trophies to make Hero Rings.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Jus beat up a guy in the Arena named SGoon. His status message was something like "Help me. Somebody please help me."

Sounds like a goon alright.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Scrublord Prime posted:

I couldn't find an exact time when a round was "resolved" and resetting took you to the start of your next turn. There's some point between when the enemy takes their final action and before the animation ends that it locks you in I think. I'd watch to see what the enemy did based on animations, numbers, and health. If I saw Greg do his AoE wind slash and shoot a missile or two at Lenna it was a safe bet she was going down so I'd reset right away. Resetting is free so you can afford to be generous; If things look bad or Greg shot a ton of missiles or your nose feels itchy then reset and hope for better luck. I had reset quite a few times before I got my Greg down.

MP is an issue, without the super DPS of good TMs it'll be a slog. Fill up on Turbo Ethers and Elixirs. I know I ran out on my CoD on Omniviel duty and if Cecil was lucky enough to be the only one punched I coudl top him up with a single Elixir instead of multiple Curajas.

If you have the farplane souls work on crafting some DEF+10%s and load them up on Lenna and Agrias. Crafting Muscle Belts helps too for HP+10% but there might not be enough time for that.

I was also wrong with my setup, I brought Maxwell instead of Kefka because Kefka is loving tissue paper. Maxwell was mostly an item flunky, she wasn't really contributing much to DPS with her moveset but she was durable enough to put off dying. It took... 8 rounds I think? It was a definite slog.

Yeah, the power creep in this game is getting to my party. Lenna explodes way too easily and she's my best healer. I can barely use Kefka for similar reasons.

Cool, thanks again! I'll try relying on resets and items next time.

I just noticed I have 100% in trust moogles saved up. Is there a better option than Ludmille's Dualcast? I don't have a Zidane unfortunately.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

KataraniSword posted:

Looks like it was an additive boost to the base, not a multiplicative to the total.

Normal runs gave ~100 before, and Gigantuars gave ~400 on top of that, for a total of 500ish.

They added a flat 100 to the totals, so now normal runs give ~200, and finding a gigantuar still gives ~400, for a total of ~600.

As stated, it's not absolutely necessary, you can truck on just fine without it.

This is a p good explanation, guess I'll do that tonight ty

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

kalensc posted:

Cool, thanks again! I'll try relying on resets and items next time.

I just noticed I have 100% in trust moogles saved up. Is there a better option than Ludmille's Dualcast? I don't have a Zidane unfortunately.

Which units do you have? If you have a Refia then Dualcast is really good. If you have an all mage team with some non-Exdeaths/non-Arcs then Dualcast is really good. If you have mostly attackers you might want to look at stuff like Blade Mastery from Chorizo or one of the big weapons (Rising Sun, Excalabur, Save The Queen, etc)

Or you can just save them and keep praying for a Zidane.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Has anyone pulled a unit and then not had it show? I pulled a Zidane and just went to view it and it is not there - it was the only worthwhile pull I got blowing my tickets too...

• Locked thread