Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hollismason posted:

So is this going to be more common? Like could it shift permanently? Or just be incredibly more frequent?

I only have 2 Minnesota winters under my belt and I'm already putting air quotes around that "cold" in the northeast.

(Those are lows btw - those temps are really not that uncommon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Geostomp posted:

Already purging dissent. He's shaping up to be a fine dictator.

And our policy will still be complete denial until the houses of all oil executives are underwater. NASA and NOAA are as good as dead while Trump hires every bit of scum he can scrape up to ensure that we destroy ourselves blindly for every spare penny.

That does seem to be the plan. From the Louisiana Senate runoff election:

Just one candidate in Louisiana’s Senate runoff embraces climate change facts posted:

Foster Campbell, the top remaining Democratic candidate, has been vocal about the fact that climate change could cause “irreversible damage” to Louisiana’s ample coastline. John Kennedy, the Republican candidate and current polling favorite, has largely avoided the subject. Kennedy told Louisiana-based paper The Advocate this fall that although he accepts the fact that global temperatures are rising, he does not think there is evidence to explain why this is happening.

The Republican strategy is pretty clear; deny the problem as long as possible until that's no longer tenable, then claim it's too late to do anything. It does lead to some interesting positions in places already affected by climate change, where conservative politicians have to acknowledge the reality of rising temperatures and sea levels while expressing befuddlement as to what could be causing it.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Minge Binge posted:

If you think isolating yourself in an area that might be hospitable in a post warming world than you greatly underestimate the impact of societal collapse. The second lawlessness rules you will be subject to violence. You're cute garden and pigs will be a target. You will die. It's just selfish at this point to abandon society. You're efforts will go lot farther in figuring out how to deal with the current crisis, and how society can continue in a post warming society. Don't be a coward, go down with the ship, and be prepared for suicide.

Well that's one of the reasons people are moving to New Zealand, it's an island where you won't be immediately swarmed by climate refugees since you have to cross an ocean to get there.

Society doesn't just immediately flip the switch from "good" to "collapsed" in one day, it takes time, and anyone who knows it's coming can do more to prepare for it than someone who doesn't, and maybe eventually that means that your group of people move out somewhere remote and hope that nobody can be bothered to bring a tank or something else that you can't hold off with hunting rifles out that far.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
By the numbers what type of government has the longest chance to survive a collapsing world?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Banana Man posted:

By the numbers what type of government has the longest chance to survive a collapsing world?

The one at the top of the richest country.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

How are u posted:

Thanks for letting us know, rear end in a top hat.
:waycool:

You don't intend to make sure your family is going to be okay? That's pretty cold.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Evil_Greven posted:

Speaking of, it looks like the Northeast will be drowning in cold.

https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/807287858298032128

Also here where I live on the outskirts of it. It's drat cold. loving climate change shoving the Arctic down here.

Collectively we deserve it, but it fuels American skepticism something fierce. Thanks Nature.

Oh man that is going to bring so much loving snow with it around the great lakes since theyre like 3-4 degrees warmer than normal this year.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
OH Goddamnit I am going to have put out salt tomorrow and shovel Sunday. Looks like we're getting "5 inches" which of course means 10 because.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there any serious evidence that wealthy states at high latitudes won't survive rising sea levels, droughts, and high temperatures? Surely North America has a huge cushion of natural resources? The population of Mexico could move into the US and we'd still have much lower population densities than Eurasia.

I think you guys are underestimating the resiliency of states and society. Closed borders really mean closed borders, rationing really means rationing. States don't collapse immediately in these circumstances, if they collapse at all. States survive megadeath events all the time.

Standard of living doesn't have to keep going up. Democracy doesn't have to survive. You're also underestimating the capacity of states to shoot people when things get rough. There's a whole range of possible outcomes between carbon-neutral liberal democracy and total collapse of society.

Stop watching apocalypse fiction and go out there and join political organizations and even take them over if you can. I dunno, advocate violence if you think it will help. Building a walled compound in Minnesota just takes you out of the equation.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there any serious evidence that wealthy states at high latitudes won't survive rising sea levels, droughts, and high temperatures? Surely North America has a huge cushion of natural resources? The population of Mexico could move into the US and we'd still have much lower population densities than Eurasia.

I think you guys are underestimating the resiliency of states and society. Closed borders really mean closed borders, rationing really means rationing. States don't collapse immediately in these circumstances, if they collapse at all. States survive megadeath events all the time.

Standard of living doesn't have to keep going up. Democracy doesn't have to survive. You're also underestimating the capacity of states to shoot people when things get rough. There's a whole range of possible outcomes between carbon-neutral liberal democracy and total collapse of society.

Stop watching apocalypse fiction and go out there and join political organizations and even take them over if you can. I dunno, advocate violence if you think it will help. Building a walled compound in Minnesota just takes you out of the equation.

If we had a purge like in that Rick and Morty episode you could earn carbon credits for every first-worlder you cap. The richer/younger the purgee the more credits*

*finally the system will work in my favor

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Arglebargle III posted:

I've meant for all my posts to accommodate for the likely occurrence of authoritarian and fascist governments taking power in all wealthy first world nations, apologies if it wasn't clear. North America's cushion of natural resources isn't such a comforting idea when taking into account that so many of those will be rendered useless by virtue of being far enough south that they just become desert, which leaves me in the unenviable position of living in the country next door to the one with the most powerful military in the world, that will take our resources by trade agreement first, then by force when necessary.

Resource wars aren't such a happy thought when so many nations are equipped with nuclear arms, and there literally aren't going to be enough resources to go around and feed the entire population when poo poo gets bad.

quote:

Stop watching apocalypse fiction and go out there and join political organizations and even take them over if you can. I dunno, advocate violence if you think it will help

Violence will not help, the state is far too powerful for violence to be effective on any scale that could be considered reasonable, and the people of the first world will never see such a thing as justified until it is far too late to make any real difference in the world. I know this because as a person who knows perfectly well how hosed we are, and has a pretty solid foundation of ideas of what people and places you might want to target to create a better world for the people of tomorrow, I still have absolutely no interest in risking my life or freedom to make a difference in the world. I'm far from alone in that attitude, and to even get most people to that point you'd have to educate their stupid rear end on how hosed we really are regarding climate change. It would be great if someone would go around bombing coal plants and taking out the people responsible for the destruction of the world, but there will never be enough support for such a thing to make a difference in the long run. It's just not the way the first world is set up.

quote:

Building a walled compound in Minnesota just takes you out of the equation.

Uh yes that is the goal? Why would I want to be a part of the equation of the future of this world? It's a bad equation, dude. What do I care if my country survives or not if I'm not around to see it?

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 10, 2016

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Nocturtle posted:

That does seem to be the plan. From the Louisiana Senate runoff election:

The Republican strategy is pretty clear; deny the problem as long as possible until that's no longer tenable, then claim it's too late to do anything. It does lead to some interesting positions in places already affected by climate change, where conservative politicians have to acknowledge the reality of rising temperatures and sea levels while expressing befuddlement as to what could be causing it.

"Hey, we don't know why all the mammoths are gone now. I mean, the climate was changing, who's to say us hunting their dwindling herds at the few small watering holes was the final nail in the coffin? I mean sure, that certainly seemed to make them scarcer faster, but who knows?"
- Some Idiot, 12 KYA

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My biggest qualm with environment groups is their stance on nuclear power. It's actively damaging to the environment to oppose nuclear imo. Are there any pro-nuclear, anti-fossil groups?

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016

spankmeister posted:

My biggest qualm with environment groups is their stance on nuclear power. It's actively damaging to the environment to oppose nuclear imo. Are there any pro-nuclear, anti-fossil groups?

Why to all your things

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I'm working in environmental justice organizing at the moment while I save money and get my ducks in a row for grad school. There are some fairly big climate-centric, anti-Trump events being planned right now by various groups that will start actively recruiting folks after the new year, both for decentralized local action and for large coordinated events like a protest in DC. I'll share info as I get it.

In the meantime, get involved locally. Sierra Club and other progressive environmental groups have chapters everywhere. If you can't find one, look for a political group that seems on the level and is organizing around the issues you care about. Getting organized is the only way we lessen or outright prevent the impending madness and maybe motivate people to prioritize climate action.

Note: while the Sierra Club is good for local conservation, but it's poo poo when it comes to larger scale sustainability issues due to its rabid opposition to anything nuclear or genetically modified, i.e. two important tools to save the environment. Either join with the express intention to make it less poo poo by changing these counterproductive stances or join another group that has more sensible stances on these issues.

In addition, if you feel like donating money (and whatever you do, keep in mind greenpeace is also terrible about nuclear and GMOs), I recommend e.g. the gapminder foundation due to their awesome work in making people more scientifically literate about development and sustainability, or if you're a bleeding heart pro-nuke like me the Weinberg foundation for promoting a Full Thorium Fuel Cycle Now.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

cosmicprank posted:

Why to all your things

Assuming you're serious:

Nuclear = low-CO2 electricity, providing consistent baseload that can provide support to a grid with a moderate amount of solar+wind. Everything else that can do baseload = either high-CO2 electricity (coal, also natural gas) or highly environmentally damaging and not sufficiently scalable (hydro to any river that isn't already ecologically ruined, biomass because of land use and habitat clearing).

Being an environmentalist group and also being completely anti-nuclear means shooting yourself in the foot by making the process of decarbonising our energy generation slower and more difficult.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I dont know how anyone can just keep living knowing that this is happening. Careers look useless to me, hope is a lie, I have almost no friends,never had an SO. I am literally hoping my heart stops or something so that my family doesnt destroy itself with grief over my death.I even tried therapy but just keep getting more "things will work out!" bullshit and all the therapists I tried are mothers so I always hold back on telling them how utterly hosed their children are. What do I do?

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 10, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

I dont know how anyone can just keep living knowing that this is happening. Careers look useless to me, hope is a lie, I have almost no friends,never had an SO. I am literally hoping my heart stops or something so that my family doesnt destroy itself with grief over my death.I even tried therapy but just keep getting more "things will work out!" bullshit and all the erapists I tried are mothers so I always hold back on telling them how utterly hosed their children are. What do I do?

"things will work out" is always a good assumption to make even when it's not going to happen realistically, because getting depressed over something doesn't make it better while being optimistic and trying to very slightly increase the chance of things not getting hosed up won't make it worse

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 10, 2016

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

blowfish posted:

"things will work out" is always a good assumption to make even when it's not going to happen realistically, because getting depressed over something doesn't make it better

I am incapable of that level of denial.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

also in the grand scheme of things even catastrophic climate change won't matter too much, give it a million years or twenty and there'll be new species filling all the ecological niches humanity freed up by killing off currently-existing species

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

See, I never understood why that is supposed to be comforting. "Oh humans will be gone but other animals will show up!" Who cares? These animals arent sentient. They wont have the capacity for art, for love, for empathy, for creativity. Who care if a beautiful world is reborn if there is nothing intelligent left to see it?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

AceOfFlames posted:

I dont know how anyone can just keep living knowing that this is happening. Careers look useless to me, hope is a lie, I have almost no friends,never had an SO. I am literally hoping my heart stops or something so that my family doesnt destroy itself with grief over my death.I even tried therapy but just keep getting more "things will work out!" bullshit and all the therapists I tried are mothers so I always hold back on telling them how utterly hosed their children are. What do I do?

It'll start getting bad when our generation starts dying. Don't buy a shorefront property and enjoy having been born right at the peak!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Personally I think we are headed for the eight figure death toll instead of the nine. Geo-engineering will start looking like a good idea at that point.

And I agree with the guy who said that past experience shows that societal civilisation is robust enough to massive numbers of deaths. It survived the black death, the Mongols, WWI... And it will probably survive even 75% of people dying.

I think the moral duty for our generation is (if stopping this is impossible) to observe, to condemn, to collect evidence. If we are collectively executing the greatest genocide the world has ever seen, we must at least ensure that justice is done when the victims come to collect their vengeance.

Edit: in the best case scenario, there will be the trial of the millennium, and we cannot allow these people or their heirs to make the case that 'they couldn't possibly have known'. In the worst case scenario, well, we must not let those who murdered the world survive to rule what's left of it.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 10, 2016

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

An update on Canada's feeble struggle against the rising tide:

The Globe and Mail: Trudeau reaches historic deal on national climate plan posted:

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau achieved a historic climate-change accord Friday but could not win support for his national carbon pricing plan from key Western provinces.

Ms. Clark created some drama late in the afternoon when she emerged from the meeting to say she would not sign a deal unless the Prime Minister agreed on a mechanism to ensure carbon pricing was being done fairly across the country. B.C. already has a $30 carbon tax and the Premier demanded assurances that all the provinces will meet an equivalent price before she commits her province to hiking it to $50 a tonne by 2022, in line with the target set by Ottawa.

Minutes after she returned to the meeting, provincial officials signalled she had won the concession she was demanding and would sign the deal. Federal officials insist Mr. Trudeau was willing all along to meet her demands and dismissed her public statement as a “stunt.”

Critics, including Mr. Wall, argue Mr. Trudeau will undermine Canada’s economic competitiveness by proceeding with an aggressive carbon-pricing plan when president-elect Donald Trump is reversing the direction that Barack Obama has taken.

While her neighbouring premiers in British Columbia and Saskatchewan expressed reservations about Mr. Trudeau’s carbon pricing plan, Alberta Premier Rachel Notley endorsed it, saying it is in line with what her government has determined is best for that province.

“Listen, climate change is real and in Alberta, we need to take action. We cannot delay on it,” she said. “But there is a lot of work to be done on how we measure comparability between various jurisdictions. It’s highly complex.”

Federal Conservative Party environment critic Ed Fast said the federal-provincial plan makes no attempt to calculate the cost of the carbon tax and the various other measures. “Developing a credible plan to fight climate change involves having a frank discussion about how much Canadians are willing to pay for it,” he said in a statement.

Mr. Trudeau said the plan will allow Canada to meet 2030 international targets.

A few comments:
-Christy Clark is the worst, this kind of behavior is typical for the leader of the BC Liberals
-Opposition to the deal largely follows political affiliation, with Conservatives opposed with the usual concerns about international competitiveness and cost
-Americans will be pleased to know that the Trump administration's opposition to climate change mitigation is already being used as a political cudgel against action in other countries
-It's truly shocking that Rachel Notley as the Premier of Alberta (the province ruled by the tar sands aka Mordor) is in favor of a climate change mitigation plan. The only happened because provincial Conservatives ruled Alberta effectively as a one-party state for 40 years and achieved such impressive levels of corruption that they were finally voted out in 2015. It wasn't due to environmental advocacy or improving scientific literacy, just a happy coincidence of electoral politics allowing a progressive party to gain power
-Rachel's brother draws Bob the Angry Flower which is pretty ok
-Canada will probably not meet 2030 targets without buying a lot of carbon credits

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

AceOfFlames posted:

Stop letting things over which you have no control dictate your happiness. You never had control over the fate of the planet or the guarantee of a safe future; this is all just making the illusion apparent. Nothing has actually changed and you are still able to live a good life by focusing on doing the best you can with the things that are actually under your control. Live a good life because it matters here and now, not because of how you imagined and hoped history would play out over the next few centuries.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

TACD posted:

Stop letting things over which you have no control dictate your happiness. You never had control over the fate of the planet or the guarantee of a safe future; this is all just making the illusion apparent. Nothing has actually changed and you are still able to live a good life by focusing on doing the best you can with the things that are actually under your control. Live a good life because it matters here and now, not because of how you imagined and hoped history would play out over the next few centuries.

So I am just supposed to pretend nothing is happening? Form attachments to people who will die horribly or will have to protect? Make a career knowing that it will all turn to dust? I keep hearing about how you're supposed to love the process of what you do but I only ever manage to care about results. Why make something that will not last? Why strive for a brief moment of happiness if it comes with thousands more moments of pain?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

TACD posted:

Stop letting things over which you have no control dictate your happiness. You never had control over the fate of the planet or the guarantee of a safe future; this is all just making the illusion apparent. Nothing has actually changed and you are still able to live a good life by focusing on doing the best you can with the things that are actually under your control.

What is this control freakery? When my loved ones die I am unhappy, I don't become less so because I can still clean my teeth efficiently.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

So I am just supposed to pretend nothing is happening? Form attachments to people who will die horribly or will have to protect? Make a career knowing that it will all turn to dust? I keep hearing about how you're supposed to love the process of what you do but I only ever manage to care about results. Why make something that will not last? Why strive for a brief moment of happiness if it comes with thousands more moments of pain?

Welcome to the human condition.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Put things into your rear end until you die

Edit: wrong thread but topical

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

AceOfFlames posted:

The world isn't going to end, just be lovely compared to the past. Maybe even really really lovely. You should still try to pair up with a SO, just don't have kids. Get a dog instead.

poo poo was real bad during The Black Death and during the World Wars too, but it wasn't true that everything turned to dust and nothing lasted.

Make good close lasting friends who will march into hell with you, because that may just be where we are going.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Take some deep breaths, climate change thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvPugcb7QGE

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
With the gutting of the EPA and DOE on personnel related to Climate Change apparently incoming won't this have the effect of us not being able to continue studying climate change as much as we should be so maybe we'll see the effects but we won't know the causes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Seriously though in the 20th century we've seen states survive seven figure deaths in their own populations and keep going for 50 years. The PRC is still chugging along after a 30 megadeath event. The Soviet Union survived a 30 megadeath event followed shortly after by a 7 megadeath event.

Climate change will surely bring about death and misery on a scale not seen since the world wars, but states are fairly resilient to that sort of stress. Look at Syria for example, the country is going through a civil war and depopulated but the state looks like its going to survive. It usually takes weakened institutions and protracted civil war to bring a state down into lawlessness and warlordism a la Mad Max in the modern period. Modern firepower is a real thing to consider in societal collapse; it's not as easy as it used to be to bring down centralized authority. As it gets harder for the people to overturn the state, insider coups look like the most realistic way to effect large political change, but insider coups virtually ensure continuity of law and order.

Before you accuse me of not taking this seriously enough, the world I'm describing is no fun. Governments machine-gunning their people and putting refugees in camps to eke out a miserable existence or die as the climate death toll creeps up into the eight digits is not a fun scenario. But it's way more likely than this idea that agriculture and transport will collapse in the 1st world and it's going to be just like all those zombie apocalypse movies you saw.

To the guy who's full of despair, the world of 100 years from now with resource wars, refugee crises and state crackdowns is still a world that will need people to fight for what's right. If the carrying capacity of the Earth contracts significantly over the next few hundred years, we'll still need political leadership that recognizes that fact and acts accordingly.

You are needed now, you're needed 20 years from now, you'll be needed when you're old. There's no way out; we're in this for the long haul.

Stop flying though.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 10, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hollismason posted:

With the gutting of the EPA and DOE on personnel related to Climate Change apparently incoming won't this have the effect of us not being able to continue studying climate change as much as we should be so maybe we'll see the effects but we won't know the causes.

Yes, that is their plan.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Hollismason posted:

So is this going to be more common? Like could it shift permanently? Or just be incredibly more frequent?
Potentially; there are a lot of uncertainties, though.

The thought is that a warming Arctic displaces the cold - the polar vortex - to another location. A little while back, that was Siberia. It then moved through Alaska and Canada into the lower 48 states.

It's also thought that it could shift more towards hanging around in Europe.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is Trump planning to purge the states of Climate Change researchers?

http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2016/12/09/trump-administration-planning-climate-purge

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 10, 2016

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Fangz posted:

Personally I think we are headed for the eight figure death toll instead of the nine. Geo-engineering will start looking like a good idea at that point.

11th hour geoengineering isn't going to be meaningfully impactful.

It's going to require unanimous international consent, at least among developed nations and rich developing nations. You're talking about altering the entire planet's climate on a scale that's never been (intentionally) attempted before, with global ramifications and unknown side effects. What nation has the right to do that? How are you going to get the countries that are less affected by climate change onboard? Countries might not be willing to start a war with the US over sulfate aerosols, but they might threaten to shoot down aircraft delivering them or threaten trade embargoes until the program is stopped. We'd be opening Pandora's Box by allowing one country or a small group of countries to alter the climate for their own ends, and I guarantee you that a lot of people would be strongly opposed to that even if the situation were dire.

There's also no way that we're even going to attempt any of these ambitious projects until things are looking pretty bleak, and by then we won't be able to do anything about our flooded cities or areas that have already been abandoned thanks to droughts/loss of farmland. Even direct cooling methods like sulfate aerosols aren't going to immediately make areas inhabitable again, and even if they did you'd have a whole new crisis as governments figure out how to move displaced populations back and rebuild abandoned infrastructure. And what about areas that climate change has made more habitable? How do you deal with the people who are living there now?

There's this attitude that geoengineering is the easy solution because it's "only" a technical and engineering problem, but it isn't. The politics of global geoengineering are just as difficult as the politics of global emissions reduction.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

11th hour geoengineering isn't going to be meaningfully impactful.

It's going to require unanimous international consent, at least among developed nations and rich developing nations. You're talking about altering the entire planet's climate on a scale that's never been (intentionally) attempted before, with global ramifications and unknown side effects. What nation has the right to do that? How are you going to get the countries that are less affected by climate change onboard? Countries might not be willing to start a war with the US over sulfate aerosols, but they might threaten to shoot down aircraft delivering them or threaten trade embargoes until the program is stopped. We'd be opening Pandora's Box by allowing one country or a small group of countries to alter the climate for their own ends, and I guarantee you that a lot of people would be strongly opposed to that even if the situation were dire.

There's also no way that we're even going to attempt any of these ambitious projects until things are looking pretty bleak, and by then we won't be able to do anything about our flooded cities or areas that have already been abandoned thanks to droughts/loss of farmland. Even direct cooling methods like sulfate aerosols aren't going to immediately make areas inhabitable again, and even if they did you'd have a whole new crisis as governments figure out how to move displaced populations back and rebuild abandoned infrastructure. And what about areas that climate change has made more habitable? How do you deal with the people who are living there now?

There's this attitude that geoengineering is the easy solution because it's "only" a technical and engineering problem, but it isn't. The politics of global geoengineering are just as difficult as the politics of global emissions reduction.

Yes, that's why I'm saying there will be eight figure death tolls (i.e. 100s of millions). I'm not saying it's going to bypass the political problem, the advantage is that the effect will be faster.

If billions of deaths are on the table the question of 'what about the countries less affected by climate change' stops becoming relevant. I think that's bleak enough to force decisive action.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 10, 2016

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
How badly will central Europe be hit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Fangz posted:

Yes, that's why I'm saying there will be eight figure death tolls (i.e. 100s of millions). I'm not saying it's going to bypass the political problem, the advantage is that the effect will be faster.

If billions of deaths are on the table the question of 'what about the countries less affected by climate change' stops becoming relevant. I think that's bleak enough to force decisive action.

I think you're drastically underestimating how quickly people will begin to view the situation as the new normal and geoengineering as a risky move away from the status quo. People will migrate away from flooded coastal areas and farmland will move as old areas become less arable. Trying to revert the climate back to a state that it hasn't existed in for decades is going to have real effects on the people who have already been forced to adapt to the new situation.

You're also making the mistake of assuming that everyone will automatically attribute every climate change related death to climate change. People aren't going to say "oh, all those people died because of climate change." They're going to say "oh, all those people died when Miami flooded" or "oh, all those people died in the Great European Migration Crisis." We're talking about a lot of individual events happening slowly over a very long period of time.