Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Gamers haven't been this wrong about a VA regime since Deus Ex

I spill my drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
FYI, if you haven't played the Hitman mobile games, Hitman GO and Hitman Sniper, you really should. Especially Sniper, which just got a nice Christmas update/reskin. They're both $0.99 at the moment. Way worth it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

WindyMan posted:

FYI, if you haven't played the Hitman mobile games, Hitman GO and Hitman Sniper, you really should. Especially Sniper, which just got a nice Christmas update/reskin. They're both $0.99 at the moment. Way worth it.

I haven't played Hitman Sniper but I can vouch for Hitman GO being great. Both the mobile and PC versions.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I spill my drink

you made a big mistake homeboy

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I need to use the bathroom.

Hitman VA owned since forever. Also when I was killing everyone in the hotel with a cleaver a guy i was chasing started going "it's just a game it's just a game it's just a game" :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sniper is pretty good for what it is at a dollar. Aiming is a bit clunky though.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

FadedReality posted:

I need to use the bathroom.

Hitman VA owned since forever. Also when I was killing everyone in the hotel with a cleaver a guy i was chasing started going "it's just a game it's just a game it's just a game" :v:
I remember when it was thought that David Bateson wasn't going to be voicing 47 for Absolution. And then they released a trailer with him saying "Sorry, I was in the bathroom." :v:

Also :lol: at that VA. I was replaying Sapienza last night and didn't knock out a guard right away. I got the "is that my phone or your phone?" line.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

God I forgot about that. Didn't Bateson find out he wasn't in Absolution from talking to a fan after the first trailer dropped? IO didn't even tell him. What shabby treatment, both of him and of the lady that plays Diana.

Were IO deliberately trying to look like a bunch of dicks at that time? At least they seem to have learned from their mistakes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

marktheando posted:

Were IO deliberately trying to look like a bunch of dicks at that time? At least they seem to have learned from their mistakes.

Iirc about half the team was fired after Absolution.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Discendo Vox posted:

Iirc about half the team was fired after Absolution.

Seems like this was a good decision. Except for letting Jesper Kyd wander away.

Also if you're into David Bateson and Vivian McKee have a look at what they do all Christmas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5oIsivv6qc&t=107s.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

marktheando posted:

God I forgot about that. Didn't Bateson find out he wasn't in Absolution from talking to a fan after the first trailer dropped? IO didn't even tell him. What shabby treatment, both of him and of the lady that plays Diana.

Was it IO, or was it Square Enix?

They had a mandate of the owner to make it a bigger IP, even if they had to 'reinvent' Hitman in the attempt: make it more linear, more cinematic, less hardcore, more story driven, more gritty. It was the same as the 'reinvention' of the Tomb Raider games (much more casual, cinematic and story driven than the originals) and the Thi4f game. Two other games from, surprise surprise, Square Enix too!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Turin Turambar posted:

They had a mandate of the owner to make it a bigger IP, even if they had to 'reinvent' Hitman in the attempt: make it more linear, more cinematic, less hardcore, more story driven, more gritty. It was the same as the 'reinvention' of the Tomb Raider games (much more casual, cinematic and story driven than the originals) and the Thi4f game. Two other games from, surprise surprise, Square Enix too!

In SE's defense, I'm not sure classic Tomb Raider formula is something that would work in today's industry, especially after Uncharted . The reboot was definitely the right move for them there. Obviously this doesn't excuse changing Hitman, a series that has always had its niche.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Turin Turambar posted:

It's not clear that SE was responsible for any of those changes- note that IOI was also responsible for the generally execrable Kane & Lynch games, and that the problems that came to a head in Absolution had been prominent in the design of previous hitman games. Grindhouse themes, a focus on cinematic, scripted kills, bullet time...Absolution looked an awful lot like what IOI had always wanted to make.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 12, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I got all the Sniper challenges except for Over-Scoped in one single mission! drat I feel good.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Does Overscoped not count targets killed on escalation missions? I've definitely killed more than 10.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mzbundifund posted:

Does Overscoped not count targets killed on escalation missions? I've definitely killed more than 10.

You gotta do 10 different targets. Killing the same poor bastard over and over counts as one.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, you are probably correct about the publisher mandate. But they still should have given Bateson a phone call or something. Just basic common courtesy when you have worked with someone for like a decade.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I got all the Sniper challenges except for Over-Scoped in one single mission! drat I feel good.

Maybe a little late, but I made a contract on PC that makes it possible to get three of the Master Sniper challenges in one go. If you had killed eight previous targets via sniper rifle, you can even get them all at once. ID is 1-03-1283755-99.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

marktheando posted:

IIRC somebody tweeted or emailed him and he said "y'know, they haven't even asked me to do it :smith:" Cue a lot of hollering from fans (rightfully) and whomever was responsible realizing it would be a huge loving mistake and secretly getting him onboard and then releasing the bathroom trailer.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Would you link that trailer?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Boiled Water posted:

Would you link that trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVpJYM6rvJE

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
When I first heard Bateson wasn't hired for Absolution that's when I decided not to buy it. 47 is modeled after him after all. I didn't know until much later they'd hired him after an outcry, but I'm still glad I skipped it. I'd be more interested to know if Contracts or Blood Money still hold up. Even though I played the gently caress out of them and 2 in my teenage years and SA'd everything, I get the feeling they probably didn't age well. It amazes me how Jesper Kyd managed to nail the tone of each game. Hitman 2 has a score worthy of a Bond film, and Contracts' score is sinister as gently caress with tracks like "Hong Kong Underground."

I did my first run through of Colorado yesterday and really loved it. Starting in a hostile area where literally everyone is armed was a nice touch. I liked having a squalid environment after lots of glitz and glamor, and as always figuring out some of the assassination methods on a blind run is always fun. I was kind of bummed you can't impersonate Berg after killing him, but oh well. On replays I had some really serendipitous stuff like Graves just happened to be by the grandfather clock while I was upstairs waiting for Rose to leave his room. Free chandelier kill!

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 13, 2016

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Colorado is also probably the most fun to do a psychopath kill everyone run in as well. It's basically a John Wick simulator.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I really like Contracts and think that almost all of the missions hold up very well, with the big exception being Bjarkov Bomb Most of the missions are limited, but decent, playgrounds, and the SA unlocks/gunfinding are fun to work towards. I don't like Blood Money- it's got a lot more spectacle, but many of the missions are more constrained/linear, with the areas where content was cut really obvious.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

themrguy posted:

Colorado is also probably the most fun to do a psychopath kill everyone run in as well. It's basically a John Wick simulator.

…especially if you brought equipment to do the WIcker Man challenge, at which point you can kill everyone without giving them any fair chance of retaliating or even spotting you. :D

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

SubponticatePoster posted:

IIRC somebody tweeted or emailed him and he said "y'know, they haven't even asked me to do it :smith:" Cue a lot of hollering from fans (rightfully) and whomever was responsible realizing it would be a huge loving mistake and secretly getting him onboard and then releasing the bathroom trailer.

I remember reading a post-mortem for absolution, I want say it was in pcgamer? not sure, that specifically blamed Bateson for most of the problems in Absolution and spent the article bitching about his performance. I thought it was really stupid and unfair, especially since Bateson's buttoned-up, professional delivery contrasted so ridiculously with everything that was going on in the game it was actually really entertaining, probably the best part of the game. I just loved the implied 'uggh, I can't believe I'm stuck in this nonsense' that 47 seemed to betray whenever he talked, it seemed fittingly in-character.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That was fun.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

That was fun.

You missed one. :colbert:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I don't even know why they even care about collateral damage in a terrorist training camp.

Kind of reminds me of a Splinter Cell level.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

WindyMan posted:

You missed one. :colbert:

I accidentally pacified one guy on my way to getting the Wicker Man super power and put him in a dumpster and the game won't let me kill anyone while they're in a dumpster. :(

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Is there a usual time the updates drop on patch days?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Is there a usual time the updates drop on patch days?

14:00 GMT has been popular in the past.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
yup, steam just kicked over with a 1.3GB update

e: the update also shows the next ET, The Guru, coming in 72 hours

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 13, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is this game good yet? After the first level came out and the reviews were mostly disappointing, I completely forgot about it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

KillHour posted:

Is this game good yet? After the first level came out and the reviews were mostly disappointing, I completely forgot about it.

It was always good. I can't think of a better game that came out this year.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

marktheando posted:

It was always good. I can't think of a better game that came out this year.

I mean, that's a bit of hyperbole in a year that has DOOM and Titanfall 2, but yeah, it's a drat good game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

KillHour posted:

The game has been good since the first level. It only received bad reviews due to a mixture of gaming journalists being completely out of touch with what is good as well as people getting mad over the DRM, which is slowly being phased out anyway and the most vocal complainers probably planned on pirating the game anyway.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

algebra testes posted:

I mean, that's a bit of hyperbole in a year that has DOOM and Titanfall 2, but yeah, it's a drat good game.

As good as DOOM was, I've gotten a lot more fun out of Hitman. I can't recall what else came out this year, but it blew DS3 out of the water for me even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So for someone that always loved the old Hitman games and related non-linear Hallmarks like Thief and DX, I should pick this up?