Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Eurogamer: The amazing story of how Lionhead silenced a troll who threatened the studio

quote:

When Lionhead was developing the first Fable game back in the early 2000s, it attracted the attention of a determined group of trolls who managed to snag internal images and a list of planned future games that were never intended for release.

In a BAFTA Games panel discussing the impact of fan communities on the development process (reported by the BBC), ex-Lionhead community chief Sam Van Tilburgh recounted the time the now-shuttered developer fought back.

The person involved managed to steal a number of images, one of which was of the Fable hero stabbing a boy in the head. The image was never intended for release.

The person threatened to leak Lionhead's secrets in a post online. Van Tilburgh spotted the person's internet protocol (IP) address and used it to find out where he lived. It turned out he was 16 years old.

With the help of "a mate", Lionhead's community team obtained the person's schoolwork, including an end of year poem he had recited.

Van Tilburgh posted the first few lines of the poem online, and threatened to tell his mum what he had done.

"There was this little group, and they were called Kibitz," Van Tilburgh said. "They managed to get their hands on some screenshots, one of which was the hero of Fable stabbing a little kid through the head. It was never meant to be released for obvious reasons. But they managed to get their hands on more material unannounced to this day... and they threatened us, the community team, with releasing them.

"We knew where the guy was living and managed to get a hold of the guy's high school record through a mate, including the poem that he had recited at his end of year [class].

"We wrote a public message as Lionhead Studios to the group Kibitz and we started the message with the opening lines of the poem he had recited in high school, and we included the landmark he could see from his house where he lived.

"And I said, 'You have got to stop this now otherwise I pass all this information on to your mum.'"

You'd think Lionhead's anti-troll tactic would run the risk of causing a scandal (the community team only alerted the developer's lawyers to the incident after the fact), but it paid off.

"He kept quiet and he was a very kind polite boy after that," Van Tilburgh said.

"I met him many times after at community events."

Microsoft shut down Lionhead earlier in 2016 and cancelled Fable Legends. Eurogamer published Lionhead's inside story in May.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Foo Diddley posted:

"No really, where is the fun?"

I was baffled
I remember in the last thread there were links of shitizens who were okay with a 1 hour+ travel time between systems and spending $50/week on fuel micro transactions. lol I don't think fun is what they want from their pretend reality.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

3.0 likely done

a Christmas miracle

by erris

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

"I personally suspect that the biggest problem is too many things close to done"

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 15, 2016

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, launching a huge project during the Christmas holiday slowdown is definitely a prudent thing to do.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

I kinda just feel bad about this guy loudly trying to convince himself with a child's logic that santa has to be real because his parents don't like to eat cookies.

Of course Erris. They can't even get team deathmatch working in the perfect engine for that after four years and are years late trying to barely implement broken mods to cryengine that aren't even features or game mechanics but somehow, in secret, they have developed a complete revolution to not only their own work but gaming in general in the form of 10 gigabyte procedural planets and completely redone networking that somehow makes the game playable.

I....I.....I mean.....remember the uproar when they waited a month to tell us something was delayed and let us all look foolish saying these same exact things about how THAT update was a certainty? They surely wouldn't want that kind of uproar again!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Looking forward to 2.6 here gently caress yes!!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Mirificus posted:

They managed to get their hands on some screenshots, one of which was the hero of Fable stabbing a little kid through the head.

they threatened us, the community team, with releasing them.

We knew where the guy was living and managed to get a hold of the guy's high school record through a mate, including the poem that he had recited at his end of year [class].

We wrote a public message as Lionhead Studios to the group Kibitz and we started the message with the opening lines of the poem he had recited in high school, and we included the landmark he could see from his house where he lived.

And I said, 'You have got to stop this now otherwise I pass all this information on to your mum.

lol why would any professional outfit even begin to engage with any of this?

Internet: "Hey, Carmageddon guys, I have a screen shot of you running over a pedestrian just trying to go to the store for some milk."

Developer: "We know your school and family!"

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

I expect new and exciting videos of you clipping through ships and firing a machine gun out of your butt. please do not disappoint!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

peter gabriel posted:

Actually Erris figures 3.0 is done so you can look forward to even more!

gumdrops
Sep 12, 2016

ArfJason posted:

Just a small reminder that the cool chillaxed forum where you can compare subforum history with the latest episode of Luther decided it'd be a hellacious prank to buy me an avatar with an IRL picture of me. Doxxing is bad, and stalking people online all day because they like the wrong videogame (and also for pointing out how hosed up that is) is really really really messed up. Only a truly insane man would do those things.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Probated twice for getting doxxed + saying doxxing is bad.. just lol

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I once had a dream where I could fly, and Mr. T was hanging out with me. Let me tell you about it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

gumdrops posted:

Nah on the first part. Yes, on the lol part, but more for falling for the laziest concern troll ever to happen on SA. :cawg:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gumdrops posted:

hosed up if true

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Truga posted:

hosed up if true

Can something be hosed down, though?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Exactly. CIG is not a trustworthy company. Chris and Sandi are not trustworthy people. I suspect both lie to themselves more than anyone else, but they're still liars and frauds. Whatever Star Citizen ends up being, whether that's a lovely over-hyped game or a complete failure, it's not going to be what people want. That's why I requested a refund and finally accepted that there is no hope of anything worthwhile.

I stopped following this and the previous thread about, like, 40,000 posts ago, but without the election I needed something new to kill brain cells again. Are we doing, like, retro posting or something? I swore you went through the refund saga literally a year ago Beer.

Also jabber misses you.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tippis posted:

Can something be hosed down, though?

if untrue, obviously

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I would no joke love this

The space ship racing is just about the easiest thing possible to do in a game engine. I've only done game engine programming out of tutorial books as programming exercises, and even those could've easily been turned into racing. Just take an object, move it around some kind of course with basic input, and apply simplistic rules to checkpoints. It's pretty much babby's first "control an object in a 3D environment". Space ship racing is easier than even old school PS1 car racing games. At least in those you had to make some attempt at simulating road grip and engine gears.

Racing should be an easier thing to do in an FPS engine than even doing a barebones FPS in an FPS engine.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CIG better have a contingency plan for when people like Erris finally accept that the project is irrevocably broken, that those in charge will never deliver the game of their dreams, and the entire phenomena has devolved into a massive scam. After all this is a guy who justified taking money from a business partner on the grounds that they were being treated unfairly so that they could create their own clone of the competing business. You think someone like that, someone who has literally dedicated their life to a massive failure, won't hesitate to turn around and allocate all of that effort towards vindication? Hell I've been out of the loop for over a year and I'm still willing to throw down to get what's mine.

As for Erris, this post is just another example of the kind of self-delusion that's necessary to maintain a positive attitude towards Star Citizen. Otherwise he'd look at precedent and the historical evidence and accept that CIG doesn't have anything, if they did they would talk about it, and that CIG doesn't do anything the last two weeks of the year so expecting that to change would actually be something new. Then again if he did that he'd also look at how they haven't even provided the SQ42 reveal that was supposed to be days away from release months ago for a game that was supposed to be delivered this year. And maybe then he'd have a bit more self-awareness and demand a refund.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Well Star Citizens have been getting hosed from every conceivable direction for years now.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gwaihir posted:

I stopped following this and the previous thread about, like, 40,000 posts ago, but without the election I needed something new to kill brain cells again. Are we doing, like, retro posting or something? I swore you went through the refund saga literally a year ago Beer.

Also jabber misses you.

Nope. Sandi offered but I refused. It took another year of failed promises, delays, and no significant progress to convince me that the best case scenario would still be a disappointment.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

CIG better have a contingency plan for when people like Erris finally accept that the project is irrevocably broken, that those in charge will never deliver the game of their dreams, and the entire phenomena has devolved into a massive scam. After all this is a guy who justified taking money from a business partner on the grounds that they were being treated unfairly so that they could create their own clone of the competing business. You think someone like that, someone who has literally dedicated their life to a massive failure, won't hesitate to turn around and allocate all of that effort towards vindication? Hell I've been out of the loop for over a year and I'm still willing to throw down to get what's mine.

As for Erris, this post is just another example of the kind of self-delusion that's necessary to maintain a positive attitude towards Star Citizen. Otherwise he'd look at precedent and the historical evidence and accept that CIG doesn't have anything, if they did they would talk about it, and that CIG doesn't do anything the last two weeks of the year so expecting that to change would actually be something new. Then again if he did that he'd also look at how they haven't even provided the SQ42 reveal that was supposed to be days away from release months ago for a game that was supposed to be delivered this year. And maybe then he'd have a bit more self-awareness and demand a refund.

You only asked for a refund 2 days ago, that makes you 48 hours more enlightened than Erris who you are now getting all cross with.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
unfortunately I'm seeing the new star wars tomorrow around the same time as the live stream

please keep me updated via text since I've been doxxed

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
[doxx="TheAgent" post="467423522"]
unfortunately I'm seeing the new star wars tomorrow around the same time as the live stream

please keep me updated via text since I've been doxxed
[/doxx]

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/809457050728198144

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

What I don't understand is why this guy (and may others) can make post after post saying "X release is in Y days!" Then Y+2 weeks comes along and he comes up with an excuse and says "X release is just Z days away!" and he does this... forever.

Like seriously what is the breaking point? What kind of hosed up mind just makes up the idea "3.0 is done" and runs with it, and is 100% convinced it is true, we he himself made it up.

What happens to him if the game does not live up to his dreams, let alone CIG sputters out as the backer money runs out.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Things!? At CIG?

God drat, what a scoop

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
"Vague statement, please read my forums"

Lol no

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Does this mean the extinction level even has a date and time? Because My "Derek was right" t-shirts are only going to be worth handing out if we can actually put a date on the tombstone.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Eldragon posted:

Does this mean the extinction level even has a date and time? Because My "Derek was right" t-shirts are only going to be worth handing out if we can actually put a date on the tombstone.

Peperony and chease

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
here we go again :rolleyes:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
This is the most hilarious thing to me. So the other day I received a Quora notification about a Star Citizen question someone wanted me to answer. So I answered it. I even tweeted about it. Yet somehow, the tribe on /r/ds are having a fit trying to understand why I would write anything "positive" about the project. That just goes to show how far off left field they are, whereby they can't reconcile the fact that someone can still be truthful and objective, while at the same time having a dissenting opinion. Yet they wonder why we make fun of them incessantly. It beggars belief.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

nopantsjack posted:

I love this thread I'll never leave again

:same:

Really, I'm super thankful for all the mentally ill whales that are making dreams possible. I hope Star Citizen is in development for as long as it needs and everyone gets the game of their dreams in the end. No, I'm not joking.

Reddit SC backers, I'm proud of you. Your persistent support makes a bright and funny spot ITT, and it delivers almost every single day. I want to say

"Keep doing what you're doing."

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Erris is a moron.

'3.0 is done. 2.6 is still being worked on though but yeah 3.0 is pretty much done.'

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Hey Derek, you should fix the meta description tags on your site so the preview text for these links isn't so silly.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

ZenMaster posted:

Please respond one more time with a smug emote when I say once again, when this all comes crashing down you will look rather silly.

:smuggo:

Quote ad infinitum

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

:smuggo:

Quote ad infinitum

will u be smug tomorrer thou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

TBF, you just need to look at a picture of Erris to realise he's not all quite there.