Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Am I reading this right? You guys are shocked that your American compact car has high depreciation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

TheWevel posted:

Am I reading this right? You guys are shocked that your American compact car has high depreciation?

Shocked? It's lost 40% of its value in the first year. "Industry average" is 27% in the first year. You expect this level of loss with a BMW or Mercedes, NOT on an American compact car.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

TheWevel posted:

The Fiesta ST depreciates like a 7 series. It is kind of absurd.

There was one sitting at a used car dealer near me basically all year, identical to mine (2015, black, solid roof, no nav, normal seats) with 16,000 miles, listed for $16,999 which I saw get test driven exactly once and was still there up until the dealer moved a few weeks ago. I haven't been by their new location but if they don't still have it they probably sent it to auction.

I buy my cars with the expectation that I'll drive them until they drop so I don't really care, but I can see how that'd be a problem for a lot of people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wolrah posted:

The Fiesta ST depreciates like a 7 series. It is kind of absurd.

There was one sitting at a used car dealer near me basically all year, identical to mine (2015, black, solid roof, no nav, normal seats) with 16,000 miles, listed for $16,999 which I saw get test driven exactly once and was still there up until the dealer moved a few weeks ago. I haven't been by their new location but if they don't still have it they probably sent it to auction.

I saw one for $13.5K just before the end of summer. I expect they'll be sub $10K in another year and that will be the time to pick one up.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow, the used market for FiSTs is a lot better here for whatever reason. When I was shopping I didn't see any used listing for under $19k and I only found one with recaros during the 7 months or so I was looking.

Doesn't matter too much though as I love it and I put down enough that I won't have to worry about being upside down regardless.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

powderific posted:

Wow, the used market for FiSTs is a lot better here for whatever reason.

A quick check shows 4 2015s available within a 100 mi radius. Asking prices, 21K, 19K, 16K, and 16K; all with under 16K miles.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Jeez, hope the FoST I bought 8 months ago doesn't crater out too bad.

Got a '14 ST2 package sitting at 19k miles for 20k after taxes and title stuff from a dealer up in Detroit

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 15, 2016

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Prong Song posted:

A quick check shows 4 2015s available within a 100 mi radius. Asking prices, 21K, 19K, 16K, and 16K; all with under 16K miles.

Wild, where are you? I'm in a small city in the midwest where used prices for anything at all different seem to be higher than they are in bigger markets. 100 mi from me there are two, a 15 for 19k and a 14 for 18k. Maybe you all should come here to trade your FiSTs in.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

powderific posted:

Wild, where are you? I'm in a small city in the midwest where used prices for anything at all different seem to be higher than they are in bigger markets. 100 mi from me there are two, a 15 for 19k and a 14 for 18k. Maybe you all should come here to trade your FiSTs in.

Large (ish) city in NC.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

All this talk of poor purchasing decisions has me shopping for used FiSTs

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2015-ford-fiesta-st-best-deal-on-kijiji/1221853391?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

This guy lost $2.50 a km, $4 a mile.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gotcha.

Any FiST FoST owners in here running with a pedal spacer thing? I put one in mine and wound up taking it out and using a pedal cover that sits closer to the brake instead. Everything feels perfect now, whereas the spacer actually didn't really help any with heel toeing and mostly made it feel a different kind of wrong.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I was considering trading my FiST, or selling it out right, but being a 2014 with 65k miles and dings, it doesn't look too good.

A dealership not far has a super sharp new '16 FiST with recaros they just knocked $2k off the price of, making it cheaper than what I paid for this one. I don't want to be upside down on a trade-in though, and my kids are also 8 and 9, so I need to consider room for them on road trips.

I'm heavily leaning on just riding it out at this point. I hate having a car payment.. ideally I would like to finish paying this one off and saving up for something more mature and boring :(

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I saw one for $13.5K just before the end of summer. I expect they'll be sub $10K in another year and that will be the time to pick one up.
Same

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
You FiST guys didn't think it was a thing when you saw brand new FoST's selling for way under sticker? Like 1-2k more than a FiST? Plus there's about a billion of them to choose from.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

powderific posted:

Gotcha.

Any FiST FoST owners in here running with a pedal spacer thing? I put one in mine and wound up taking it out and using a pedal cover that sits closer to the brake instead. Everything feels perfect now, whereas the spacer actually didn't really help any with heel toeing and mostly made it feel a different kind of wrong.

Yeah I put one in that brings it about to the same elevation as the brake pedal- I've been sorta just putting the left side of the ball of my foot on the brake and using the right side to hit the gas. Feel like heel-toeing is easier for me with cars where the gas pedal has a hinge on the floor rather than a pedal that drops down from the top of the footwell like the FoST.

Extended pedal cover might make it easier for me

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 16, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

You FiST guys didn't think it was a thing when you saw brand new FoST's selling for way under sticker? Like 1-2k more than a FiST? Plus there's about a billion of them to choose from.

When I bought mine a comparably optioned FoST was actually nearly $1000 cheaper and they had four or five on the lot where my car ended up coming from across the state. I wanted the small one though after driving them both because I didn't need the extra space and the Fiesta just felt more fun. Most auto journalists who have compared the two seem to agree. Plus the Focus ringland problem scared me since eventually tuning the thing is a given.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I am just gritting my teeth and pretending resale value doesn't exist, because I am keeping the car for probably 10 years :) To be honest, I am really happy with the FiST overall. I just need to find some better roads to drive it on, SE Michigan is basically graph paper.

Anyone here have any experience with hybrid turbos? There are a handful of options now, the x37 and c90 from DeadHook. I think my upgrade path may eventually include one, as they seem to fix one of the few design issues with the drivetrain, that the turbos just run out of woof a few k rpm short of redline. I think a FiST with ~250-270 whp that pulls hard all the way to 7k rpm sounds pretty perfect.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

I am just gritting my teeth and pretending resale value doesn't exist, because I am keeping the car for probably 10 years :) To be honest, I am really happy with the FiST overall. I just need to find some better roads to drive it on, SE Michigan is basically graph paper.

Anyone here have any experience with hybrid turbos? There are a handful of options now, the x37 and c90 from DeadHook. I think my upgrade path may eventually include one, as they seem to fix one of the few design issues with the drivetrain, that the turbos just run out of woof a few k rpm short of redline. I think a FiST with ~250-270 whp that pulls hard all the way to 7k rpm sounds pretty perfect.

I don't know if you've seen the smoking tire one take of a big turbo FiST, but the guy said he ate 3 transmission in a year after dropping in the big snail.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Spending another 1.5 JB1's on one of my stupid cats again today :argh:

If I ever get the bigger turbo itch I can apparently go straight to the IS38 off the Golf R with ease. Don't know if I'd ever do that, but it's an option.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fknlo posted:

Spending another 1.5 JB1's on one of my stupid cats again today :argh:

If I ever get the bigger turbo itch I can apparently go straight to the IS38 off the Golf R with ease. Don't know if I'd ever do that, but it's an option.

Yup. IS38 + DP + Tune will put you north of 350whp.
Read: >350whp GTI for $1.2k turbo, $800 tune, and $400 downpipe

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 16, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

TWSS posted:

I don't know if you've seen the smoking tire one take of a big turbo FiST, but the guy said he ate 3 transmission in a year after dropping in the big snail.

Yeah that guys car was way over the top. Not sure the hybrids count as "big turbo" since they are basically rebuilt stock turbos with bigger inlets/outlets. They just seem to be able to move more air at higher rpm when the stock turbo runs out of revs.

Trans does seem to be the weak point amongst the FiST, but its hard to take manual trans "issues" 100% seriously amongst car enthusiasts...so many bad drivers with no mechanical empathy no-clutch flat shifting their cars while driving to the grocery store. Ford hasn't done any recalls or anything as far as I am aware on the FiST trans.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah that guys car was way over the top. Not sure the hybrids count as "big turbo" since they are basically rebuilt stock turbos with bigger inlets/outlets. They just seem to be able to move more air at higher rpm when the stock turbo runs out of revs.

Trans does seem to be the weak point amongst the FiST, but its hard to take manual trans "issues" 100% seriously amongst car enthusiasts...so many bad drivers with no mechanical empathy no-clutch flat shifting their cars while driving to the grocery store. Ford hasn't done any recalls or anything as far as I am aware on the FiST trans.

It's not that, it's likely that the trans was built to a max torque output way below what modified ones have. Cost savings nowadays and engineering specifications (that aren't high above the stock vehicle, especially no cheaper vehicles) so things aren't usually as overbuilt as they used to be.

Admittedly not a hot hatch but the Chevy Sonic gearbox (used to own and follow forums chat on them) only holds about 200 ft-lbs before they grenade. Good thing it's easy to make torque on a turbo motor... :shepicide:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 16, 2016

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Two question for GTI owners.

1) My 2017 Sport has some sort of whistle from the outside on the front passenger door area. I can't see that anything is loose, but it is driving me crazy. Any thoughts?

2) The LED strip on the passenger side front door doesn't illuminate. I believe it's from a custom sound system install that I had done, but I can't remember. Is there something easy/obvious like a plug I just need to check on to get that light to come on? The door sill lights on the passenger side work just fine.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Larrymer posted:

It's not that, it's likely that the trans was built to a max torque output way below what modified ones have. Cost savings nowadays and engineering specifications (that aren't high above the stock vehicle, especially no cheaper vehicles) so things aren't usually as overbuilt as they used to be.

Admittedly not a hot hatch but the Chevy Sonic gearbox (used to own and follow forums chat on them) only holds about 200 ft-lbs before they grenade. Good thing it's easy to make torque on a turbo motor... :shepicide:

Maybe true. I'm not saying its built to hold 1000 whp or anything, but if you go to any car forum for any manual car, there are a bunch of people bitching about transmission issues. Its very hard to separate the truth from the nonsense, so I often assume its nonsense.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Tork motorsports is doing a turbo upgrade to their guy in the shops Veloster Turbo. They're aiming for 400whp with a Garrett GTW3476R and smaller wheel. Might keep an eye on them or email them. They're expecting full boost at 3500rpm. They may have some fiesta st development that makes more sense.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

PaintVagrant posted:

Maybe true. I'm not saying its built to hold 1000 whp or anything, but if you go to any car forum for any manual car, there are a bunch of people bitching about transmission issues. Its very hard to separate the truth from the nonsense, so I often assume its nonsense.

GM is nice enough to publish what their transmissions' torque limits are, not sure about Ford.

Site is pretty cool if you want to see anything about the engine or trans for any of the current production stuff.
http://www.gmpowertrain.com/VehicleEngines/PowertrainProducts.aspx

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's on Getrag's site. Looks like it's rated for 285NM of torque. http://www.getrag.com/en/products/produkt_detail.html

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's... really disappointing actually.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
That seems comically low. I think the VT a tuner said is fine to 400 ft lbs. I would have expected anything beyond yaris spec manual to be 320 ft lbs.

TheChimney
Jan 31, 2005
Uhg - less than 5K miles on my GTI and it has developed an annoying squeak in low speed turns.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Wow, that's really low. I wonder if the Focus ST's trans would be possible to fit in there...

Then again there are a couple of 400+ WHP Fiestas out there which are getting drag raced and I don't recall hearing that they're going through transmissions like candy, so maybe there's something to the "don't be stupid with it" factor. I rev match my downshifts and try to be patient enough for shift assist to do its thing on upshifts, so I like to think I'm nicer to the trans than the average driver.

PaintVagrant posted:

I'm interested in this as well, I don't want to end up with a laggy mess so a big turbo probably isn't on the list but I'm sure I won't be able to stop at just a tune when I get that. If I can get more top end without affecting the bottom of the curve too badly I'd be for it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The stock tires on the GTI kind of suck on snow at anything over 30mph. They're floaty and twitchy at the same time. I need to figure out what I'm gonna do wheel/tire wise. The limited slip is cool though :thumbsup:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Probably the OEM Conti ProContacts?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

wolrah posted:

Wow, that's really low. I wonder if the Focus ST's trans would be possible to fit in there...

Then again there are a couple of 400+ WHP Fiestas out there which are getting drag raced and I don't recall hearing that they're going through transmissions like candy, so maybe there's something to the "don't be stupid with it" factor. I rev match my downshifts and try to be patient enough for shift assist to do its thing on upshifts, so I like to think I'm nicer to the trans than the average driver.

I'm interested in this as well, I don't want to end up with a laggy mess so a big turbo probably isn't on the list but I'm sure I won't be able to stop at just a tune when I get that. If I can get more top end without affecting the bottom of the curve too badly I'd be for it.

Check out these dynographs:

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/9094-Official-Pumaspeed-X-37-Hybrid-Turbo-Thread

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

fknlo posted:

The stock tires on the GTI kind of suck on snow at anything over 30mph. They're floaty and twitchy at the same time. I need to figure out what I'm gonna do wheel/tire wise. The limited slip is cool though :thumbsup:

I had a fantastic experience with Continental Extremecontact DWSs on my old GTI.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

This is the boost profile I want.

Blue is stock turbo, red is x-47 hybrid.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Probably the OEM Conti ProContacts?

Yup.

Residency Evil posted:

I had a fantastic experience with Continental Extremecontact DWSs on my old GTI.

I do straight winter tires now. I'm still trying to decide how comfortable I am with the clearance with the 17's from my TDI. I posted a link to an imgur album on the last page or two. I think I'm ok with it? Thinner weights or different weight placement would make me a lot more comfortable. I just need something by the first week of January for my first Colorado trip.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

fknlo posted:

I'm still trying to decide how comfortable I am with the clearance with the 17's from my TDI. I posted a link to an imgur album on the last page or two. I think I'm ok with it? Thinner weights or different weight placement would make me a lot more comfortable.
I'm not sure what you think will happen, if you manage to hit something hard enough that it dents the wheel and pushes it into the caliper, I think you'll have much bigger things to worry about.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DrChu posted:

I'm not sure what you think will happen, if you manage to hit something hard enough that it dents the wheel and pushes it into the caliper, I think you'll have much bigger things to worry about.

I'm mainly worried about what Colorado calls "sand" and throws on their highways and other small rocks. Pretty much all of the ski resort parking lots are some variation of gravel as well. Get some rocky, sandy snow in there and it could maybe gently caress something up? Some other people seem to be running 17's without issue so I'm sure I'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Someone running 15's on their crosstrek had that happen, pictures of the damage here: http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/wheels-tires/11130-15x7-rally-wheels-225-70-15-general-grabber-at2-tires-3.html Doesn't sound like it actually broke anything though.