Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

MrOnBicycle posted:

If he really cared about people not crashing, he'd be standing at the top of the hill and warn people / put out his cones instead of standing where he's useless just so he can make money of putting up a video on YouTube.

He did put up cones tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Fuckin' shame the two assholes in the Comcast trucks didn't get hit, after causing the issue in the first place and ignoring it after it was clearly a problem.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I wouldn't want to crash into that utility bed, you're going to get hosed up and there won't be much damage to them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PT6A posted:

Fuckin' shame the two assholes in the Comcast trucks didn't get hit, after causing the issue in the first place and ignoring it after it was clearly a problem.

Most folks were going around them just fine. It was only the morons driving way too fast for conditions that were getting into trouble. The guys in the Comcast trucks were trying to do their job, and were complying with the safety requirements.

I've been in similar jobs, and the supervisors and managers don't give a gently caress, and if you want to keep your job, you comply with the rules and do your job. If the safety (traffic) requirements are not good enough, then they need to be fixed by the local area that defines those requirements. For example, in Phoenix if a utility vehicle is going to close a lane (for pole or manhole access for example like these guys are doing) then they are required by Phoenix to set up a traffic & barricade plan which is then approved by the city and implemented by a barricade company. But if the city didn't require that, I guarantee you that the management of the utilities here would just park a truck in the road with some cones and call it good, and the line workers have exactly zero choice in this other than no longer doing their job and being without a paycheck.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Phanatic posted:

That's loving insane. That's even dumber than jughandle turns in Jersey. What's the rationale behind that?

Jughandles are great. Right lane for entering and exiting the road, left lane for cruising.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Locator posted:

Most folks were going around them just fine. It was only the morons driving way too fast for conditions that were getting into trouble. The guys in the Comcast trucks were trying to do their job, and were complying with the safety requirements.

If your safety plan only accounts for what should happen, and not what is actually likely to happen, then it's a pretty loving lovely safety plan.

Should people be speeding, especially in those conditions? Of course not. People were going way too fast for conditions, that much is clear. However, if you've watched four offs and an accident, and choose to do nothing about it, you start to bear some responsibility, in my view. Safety plans need to reflect reality, not an idealized situation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Jughandles are great. Right lane for entering and exiting the road, left lane for cruising.

I rather like the Las Vegas variant, not sure if they have an official name though. The main street gets one lane partitioned off with a low speedbump sized lane marker. People turning left onto this road are forced to stay on one side of the marker, and pass through traffic gets a protected lane where they can maintain their speed.

Example of it here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2186098,-115.2968958,172m/data=!3m1!1e3

What does't work is the travesty of traffic planning they used on Palatine road north of Chicago. Words can't accurately describe it, you just gotta look at the map/street view to figure out what the gently caress is going on. Best I can come up with is they wanted to put a highway in along with a frontage road, but didn't have enough money to do overpasses so they tried to fix it with stop lights.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1096931,-87.9279378,3a,60y,94.77h,81.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smIWL817Vjbto072Qg73oYQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

That line of cars on the right side? They're waiting to turn left because the center lanes are straight only. :downs:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

xzzy posted:

I rather like the Las Vegas variant, not sure if they have an official name though. The main street gets one lane partitioned off with a low speedbump sized lane marker. People turning left onto this road are forced to stay on one side of the marker, and pass through traffic gets a protected lane where they can maintain their speed.

Example of it here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2186098,-115.2968958,172m/data=!3m1!1e3

"Seagull Intersection", according to Wikipedia. Or if you're in Nevada, a High-T intersection. I haven't driven through that one, but I have driven through our other weird intersection, the diverging diamond , as seen on Google Maps. That one apparently caused all sorts of problems when it first opened. :allears:

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

"Seagull Intersection", according to Wikipedia. Or if you're in Nevada, a High-T intersection. I haven't driven through that one, but I have driven through our other weird intersection, the diverging diamond , as seen on Google Maps. That one apparently caused all sorts of problems when it first opened. :allears:

That one isn't super clear of what's going on, but here is another one: https://goo.gl/maps/d8zUSLEWhTy. They are popping these things up everywhere. Predictably, they work okay until someone not familiar with them attempts to use them or traffic reaches a certain level and then they break down (much like traffic circles).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We got our first diverging diamond last year, and it seems to work pretty well.

The only flaw is they crammed it in over the top of a traditional overpass that was built in the 50's and they made it too small for traffic to maintain speed.. you have to go from 45 down to 35 to safely make the bends.

HFX posted:

or traffic reaches a certain level and then they break down (much like traffic circles).

I think diverging diamonds have been proven mathematically to be more efficient in terms of number of vehicles per hour that can enter/exit the highway. They just don't feel faster to the individual because there's a lot more stop lights that you can get stuck at.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

xzzy posted:

The only flaw is they crammed it in over the top of a traditional overpass that was built in the 50's and they made it too small for traffic to maintain speed.. you have to go from 45 down to 35 to safely make the bends.

I think diverging diamonds have been proven mathematically to be more efficient in terms of number of vehicles per hour that can enter/exit the highway. They just don't feel faster to the individual because there's a lot more stop lights that you can get stuck at.

It probably does under normal conditions. What I've seen though is that if traffic becomes bad enough to grid lock traffic begins backing up much worse on the ramps. It could also be the general increase in traffic seen while they were building these as the recession started to ease.

Then again, Atlanta drivers do not seem to understand the concepts of not entering an intersection if you know you can't make it across, turning lanes / break down lanes are simply passing lanes to get around suckers, and order of yield precedent at a green light.

HFX fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 15, 2016

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

The Locator posted:

I've been in similar jobs, and the supervisors and managers don't give a gently caress, and if you want to keep your job, you comply with the rules and do your job. If the safety (traffic) requirements are not good enough, then they need to be fixed by the local area that defines those requirements.

Here's the requirements Indiana (where the video was filmed) has defined for temporary closure of a lane on an undivided two lane road for road or utility work:

The Comcast guys had a fraction of the required cones and were missing...everything else.

Theris fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 15, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Theris posted:

Here's the requirements Indiana (where the video was filmed) has defined for temporary closure of a lane on an undivided two lane road for road or utility work:

The Comcast guys had a fraction of the required cones and were missing...everything else.

If those are the requirements there, then yea, I'll give Comcast a fair portion of the blame. I was taking the Comcast guy in the video's description of what was required as the truth I suppose. I've seen plenty of places where the requirements are minimal to none, so it didn't seem terribly out of whack.

I was in no way intending to say that what they did was 'safety appropriate', just saying that if their manager/supervisor's were unwilling to provide more traffic control then that, it put the line workers in a bad position of either doing the job without it, or probably losing their jobs for not doing the work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Illinois closure standards are pretty similar and I have not once seen a temporary lane closure marked with more than one or two beat up orange cones.

I believe the term for this is "normalizaion of deviation," as nothing bad continues to happen people stray further from the rules until it all goes tits up.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Also, even if they were complying with the law, merely complying with the law doesn't mean you can't be held liable if negligent.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I've had a few close calls in the past month where people almost merge/change lanes into me. One of these days someone is going to lose a mirror and/or get lots of scuff marks on their door because they didn't look before drifting into a white TJ with a 4" lift and 33" tires. The only reason it hasn't happened in most of these cases is because I get paranoid when I'm passing through people's blind spots and check the other side to make sure I can swerve when they inevitably do. It's the most fun when they hit the turn signal right as they turn the wheel.

Motherfucker, how did you not see me from your Civic?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Stories like that is exactly why I won't ever drive a motorcycle on public roads.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

xzzy posted:

What does't work is the travesty of traffic planning they used on Palatine road north of Chicago. Words can't accurately describe it, you just gotta look at the map/street view to figure out what the gently caress is going on. Best I can come up with is they wanted to put a highway in along with a frontage road, but didn't have enough money to do overpasses so they tried to fix it with stop lights.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1096931,-87.9279378,3a,60y,94.77h,81.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smIWL817Vjbto072Qg73oYQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

That line of cars on the right side? They're waiting to turn left because the center lanes are straight only. :downs:

Any decade now, they are going to think about considering a possible decision of what to do or not so with Palatine Road: https://www.palatineroad.com/Past_Proposals.php

xzzy posted:

Illinois closure standards are pretty similar and I have not once seen a temporary lane closure marked with more than one or two beat up orange cones.

I believe the term for this is "normalizaion of deviation," as nothing bad continues to happen people stray further from the rules until it all goes tits up.

Confirming this is not an exaggerated anecdote. Dozens of times on Devon Ave in Chicago, we'd all happily be cruising along at 5 over the limit when suddenly brake lights and swerving. I looked for an accident and instead found a single orange barrel in the middle of the lane, followed by a 3 foot hole in the asphalt 15 feet later. Sometimes the orange barrel is in the hole, so at least they know it's there.

Analogue Kid
Jan 4, 2013

xzzy posted:

There's a new diverging diamond here in Rochester, NY and only twice have I seen drivers speed down the wrong side completely. Kind of amazed it doesn't occur more frequently, although I am a fan of the design. It would work flawlessly if there wasn't another intersection less than 200ft away causing jams inside the diamond during rush hour.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

PT6A posted:

If your safety plan only accounts for what should happen, and not what is actually likely to happen, then it's a pretty loving lovely safety plan.

Should people be speeding, especially in those conditions? Of course not. People were going way too fast for conditions, that much is clear. However, if you've watched four offs and an accident, and choose to do nothing about it, you start to bear some responsibility, in my view. Safety plans need to reflect reality, not an idealized situation.

I'll take "Symptoms of late stage capitalism" for $100, Alex

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

This guy was going dead straight. Sorry for taking the picture while driving, I know I was being negligent, but it was absurd. The right side was easily 2-3 inches lower than the left, that's not just the bank of the road. I don't think anything was in the bed either.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AFewBricksShy posted:

This guy was going dead straight. Sorry for taking the picture while driving, I know I was being negligent, but it was absurd. The right side was easily 2-3 inches lower than the left, that's not just the bank of the road. I don't think anything was in the bed either.

Ah, a hybrid low‐rider.

Models include Dodge Dahu and Honda Haggis.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Man these guys were on him fast
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=05b_1481755947

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Drug house. No one else is watching that cameea that close (and they weren't that close to the fence.)

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Live accident on i95 and Washington, D.C.... 12/17.. Tanker live explosion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea4mVMXj9hw

Winters finally here.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Did I just watch someone die?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

nm posted:

Drug house. No one else is watching that cameea that close (and they weren't that close to the fence.)

Explains why those guys are so good at hopping fences and hauling rear end, too. Holy poo poo

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Geoj posted:

You watched at least two people die.

quote:

WASHINGTON — At least two people have been killed in a massive pileup on Interstate 95.

The crash occurred around 5 a.m., per several reports, and it is believed to have included “dozens” of vehicles, per CBS Baltimore. It happened near the exit for Caton Avenue on I-95.

Two people have been confirmed dead, but not many other details have emerged from the violent crash, which included a tanker overturning.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Geoj posted:

No, kids in Syria watch people die. You watch YouTube.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

I had an Cutlass that got like that after 20 years. A new set of springs fixed her right up. Well then the front sat too high, so I had to replace the rears also.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

nm posted:

Wow good call.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XinWzuJ8njE

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
:stare:

I don't even know where to begin... maybe I should just be happy that no one lost an eye.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's when it doesn't work, and he hooks it back up exactly the same way.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It takes a special kind of retard to put a tow strap on a loving wheel, holy poo poo.

E:

kastein fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 18, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

doublepostin'

Friday night some loving nimrod in a white E250 van blew a stop sign at Hillcroft & King Phillip in worcester mass. I had no stop sign. He nailed my forester pretty good, even a hair more and it would have bent the A pillar enough to require pulling. As it is, a new door barely fit.

It's a 500 dollar car. I really really do not feel like shopping for a new beater, dealing with insurance, and bringing a new beater up to date on deferred maintenance in january. And they would total my turdbucket in a second if I put in a claim. So I was in the mood to be nice and not report it. He gave me 100 on the spot and said he'd cover any more I needed, I am hoping he is good for it because I don't feel like wrangling with insurance over this.

Anyways, here is my stupid pretzel of a car and the beginnings of the repairs. Thanks for blowing that stopsign idiot. https://imgur.com/gallery/krL7M

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Pics from the Baltimore crash/fire/clusterfuck yesterday:

http://imgur.com/a/YU0ea

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Vorkosigan posted:

Pics from the Baltimore crash/fire/clusterfuck yesterday:

http://imgur.com/a/YU0ea

Some serious carnage there. First pic showing that SUV down there, wonder if it was down there before the tanker went over, or somehow got swept over with it. Also the last pic answers the question of whether the cab of the tanker went over with the trailer. RIP trucker dude.

That one little car that was pancaked from both sides shows no signs of extraction, hope that means the occupants were no longer in the car when the pancaking happened.

What was the final casualty count of that mess?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Locator posted:

Some serious carnage there. First pic showing that SUV down there, wonder if it was down there before the tanker went over, or somehow got swept over with it. Also the last pic answers the question of whether the cab of the tanker went over with the trailer. RIP trucker dude.

That one little car that was pancaked from both sides shows no signs of extraction, hope that means the occupants were no longer in the car when the pancaking happened.

What was the final casualty count of that mess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It's amazing there weren't more deaths