Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

MarsDragon posted:

I think they say that Mazinkaiser and Shin Getter got worn down during the timeskip and need maintenance by the time the game proper starts? I forget, it's been forever since I played @3.

This just reminded me that after Alpha Gaiden, there's technically two of a lot of unique units like Mazinkaiser and Shin Getter, because you brought them back from the future at the end of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Hunter Noventa posted:

This just reminded me that after Alpha Gaiden, there's technically two of a lot of unique units like Mazinkaiser and Shin Getter, because you brought them back from the future at the end of the game.

It's entirely possible that Londo Bell sent those back with the Bad Future people to prevent exactly that issue. It's too bad for Judau, that was the only set of Full Armor parts that had both the Hyper Mega Cannon and the ability to turn into the Full Armor G-Fortress.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Glazius posted:

You'd figure after all these levels pretty much everyone could take at least one punch from Domon.

The man can punch skyscrapers

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The man can punch skyscrapers

Anybody can punch skyscrapers.

The difference between us doing it and Domon doing it is which one breaks.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

The Sandman posted:

Anybody can punch skyscrapers.

The difference between us doing it and Domon doing it is which one breaks.

Well...Domon and Master Asia didn't break it...

Which reminds me...I think Domon is just an epic mustache away from becoming the new Master Asia.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Unlimited power!

Maxing out a unit, as usual, allows you to choose one of several bonuses. Top to bottom:
  • Max HP+20%
  • Max EN+20%
  • Mobility +10%
  • Armor+10%
  • Movement range +1
  • Unit’s terrain ranks are all S, with an A in the movement rank (doesn’t affect weapon ratings, mind).
Would you believe me if I said I completely glossed over that last option when doing this? I thought the movement+ was the last option, so I went with EN+ on Rom (his attacks ARE pretty expensive). Looking back, I reckon the terrain rating would be best if only to make sure no rough terrain stops Rom’s rampage but the EN bonus isn’t bad.
Getting S terrains means he’d be dodging everything but since I’ve already maxed out his mobility and gave him a Haro, Rom already has equivalent evasion to a top tier Real. I can make do with him dodging ALMOST everything.

Isshiki relates to Itsuki how control of the “original M-Type sample” is being passed to the Bähbem Foundation – another step forward in Bähbem’s plan, Helena adds, though Itsuki doesn’t seem happy.
Itsuki asks what’ll happen to Ayato and Isshiki simply says the “imitation” can simply be stuffed in some random internment camp if he doesn’t work out as a good “match”. After all, they’ve the original in their hands.
That seems to be Quon and she asks if she’s going anywhere. Indeed, Helena says, to her real home. Itsuki frowns again.

Fuyutsuki’s just received some worrying news: NERV's second branch has just disappeared. The operators are ordered to find clues but they’ve only satellite surveillance to study. Misato had JUST been called over with the EVA kids and this is what happens. Crazy.
From what Shigeru sees, the entire research facility – including the EVA-04 within – and everything within a forty-nine kilometer radius has vanished. Based on the timetable they’d received, he posits it all went down while the experiment with a restored S² Engine was being done. Possibilities about the cause of it all run from a planning mistake and faulty materials all the way to external sabotage.
The problem is, Makoto points out, this wasn’t an explosion – everything simply disappeared. That’s what they get for toying with stuff they don’t understand, Misato sighs, and now the S² Engine they worked so hard to fix is gone. So much for that dream.

What about the EVA-03? Ritsuko says it’s being sent over from the first branch, out of fear that they’d disappear as well. Misato huffs that it was they who insisted on the rights to build the #03 and #04 in the first place, though Ritsuko notes that anyone would get cold feet after an incident like this.
Misato asks if Ritsuko is planning on using her Dummy contraption to test-boot EVA-03, and if that's why Rei has been summoned back as well. Ritsuko says that’ll all be decided after she’s consulted with Gendou.

And that’s what she does soon after, showing him the prototype Dummy Plug (the picture to the right). It’s implanted with a digital copy of Rei's personality, though since you can't digitize a soul as well it's just a fake: a machine made to emulate a person.
That’s fine with the Gendou, only caring if it can fool an EVA into thinking a person is aboard and syncing with it. He tells Ritsuko to install the data into the #01 and #02, though she cautions that it's still got some bugs to be worked out. Again, it’s no problem if it can get the EVAs moving.

Moreover, the Federation is taking care of bringing the #03 over here – it should arrive by the weekend, whereupon he’ll trust her to handle the rest. The rest being its tune-up and boot test, which Ritsuko will execute at the town of Matsushiro.
It’d be too dangerous to do all that with the Dummy Plug, so a fourth pilot is necessary and Ritsuko already has someone in mind.

With that done, Gendou tells Rei to step out the tube at the base of the Dummy Plug system's massive brain-thing and invites her to have something to eat.
Ritsuko frowns.

Back to Misato, Ritsuko has just informed her of what’ll happen. She’s surprised they IDed the Fourth Children but, in truth, it was a recent discovery. But Misato hasn’t heard anything from the Marduk Institute. The paperwork will arrive tomorrow. Is Ritsuko hiding stuff from her again? Perish the thought.
Fine… and who is the chosen kid? Ritsuko opens a video and shows it to her: someone who Misato recognizes as one of Shinji’s friends. That’s to be expected, of course, considering they’ve gathered potential candidates into that class.

It’ll be tough for Misato to tell him… Asuka’s no problem as piloting an EVA’s a matter of pride for her and Rei’s a wholly unique case, but Shinji is neither. He knows better than anyone the inherent difficulties of piloting an EVA and Misato HAD hoped to spare him any further hardships.
But, Ritsuko says, the point is they need this kid – this is necessary for everyone to survive. Is that her way of telling her to shut up with the platitudes, Misato asks. Ritsuko doesn't answer directly, but says that Shinji and co. will be kept here until the test is complete.

Souichi comes to the hangar looking for Ayato but Elvy says there’s no one here but her. Has he checked his room? He’s usually there, painting. Souichi did and, no, he wasn’t – maybe at Rikudou’s place? Hmm…
Still, Elvy’s glad she has a chance to speak with Souichi alone and asks if it’d be possible to get Ayato off the team. He’s not exactly a soldier… but, then again, many of the Magnate Ten’s folks aren’t either. Still, Elvy thinks they needn’t rely on the RahXephon any longer to fight the MU now that they’ve the Vermillion. Her mech can even break through Tokyo Jupiter’s barrier.
Souichi frowns and tells her that TERRA has no need for something like the Vermillion… and to say Elvy doesn’t appreciate hearing that would be an understatement. Moreover, he points out that TERRA is not a military organization. Nonsense, Elvy thinks, considering Souichi himself goes by the title of Major!

Regardless, TERRA’s mission is purely of self-defense and therein lies the problem with the Vermillion: it’s clearly a weapon built for aggressive purposes. Elvy tells him to drop that nonsense and take a look out the window: what Earth needs right now is crushing might with which to destroy their enemies!
He counters that what Earth needs is the strength to protect its people but, in that case, what was Operation Overlord? Was that not an act of attack? Souichi says that the Federation was behind that, though Elvy roars back that it was TERRA who first drafted it.
Souichi argues he spoke against its execution but that’s hardly enough for her – he might well have given his implied consent to the operation that cost the lives of all of Elvy’s team. Know what that makes him? A hypocrite!

She yells so much about her comrades’ death but what about the missiles she shot at Tokyo Jupiter? Does she even think about the number of people that died to those? “People? Those were Mulians!” Elvy argues.
And what difference is there between Mulians and people on this side? Elvy sniffs that the difference is obvious… and then Souichi lets his anger get the better of him: “Is there any difference between you and Ayato, then?!”
Frig. Souichi freezes and so does Elvy, though she quickly gets back in his face. Have Ayato’s MU Phase results come in? Is he a Mulian? Did they call him back here to check up on that? Elvy demands answers but he only slowly tells her to forget they ever had this talk.

Or not, as Ayato walks right in and he’s heard everything. He runs off, with Souichi in hot pursuit, leaving Elvy to stew in this new information.

Souichi eventually finds him, and Ayato asks if what they were talking was true. What does that make him, then? Souichi says that he is still him, and only a handful of people in TERRA know about this. Ayato figures they’ve been laughing behind his back: he’s the Mulian – not a human. Let’s put the freak to use since he can control the RahXephon.
Souichi sighs and calls himself pathetic, seeing he can’t even muster the strength to slap some sense into him. Ayato figures it’s fine – he IS a Mulian, after all. Souichi says that’s not a problem as, again, Ayato is still himself.
Ayato isn’t interested in hearing that but, after a few moments of silence, Souichi keeps at it: all people are linked to one another and that applies to the two of them. Ayato has as much right to be – to be himself – as Souichi does and, if anything, he wants Ayato to remember he still considers him as a comrade. With that, he walks off.

Soon, Haruka comes over and catches him staring out into the sea. He mostly ignores her and doesn’t answer when she asks if he can’t bring himself to trust her either. Ayato simply muses on about the ocean’s vastness – its waves always coming and going, and will continue to do so even after he’s gone.
At length he asks if she knew and, indeed, she did. Still, he’s him. Ayato sniff that Souichi said the same thing but Haruka says it’s the truth: it makes no difference whether he’s a MU or human.
Ayato starts changing the subject back to the ocean but Haruka pulls him back – why can’t things just go on as they have? Haven’t they been doing so well together all this time? Ayato snaps at her to stop, saying the only thing that’s been going well has been their deception.

She brought him out of Tokyo with a promise to tell him the truth but all she did was keep it hidden from him. And if this is how things would turn out, he would’ve been better off simply staying in Tokyo.
“You… you are a liar,” he says before running off, leaving Haruka to whimper at the harsh note that set in his voice.

Ayato then returns to Rikudou's house, surprised to find Quon there as well. Rikudou doesn’t explain why she’s there but says he’s leaving for a bit to see an old friend – Ayato’s to lock he place up if he also leaves.
Quon smiles at Ayato and, when he asks why, says it’s because she found him. Ayato wonders if she’s laughing because she knows he’s a Mulian – his blood is blue. In that case, then, Quon says she’s a Mulian as well because her blood is also like that.
Ayato is shocked, demanding to know why Itsuki treats her like his little sister and how everyone treats her like any regular person. Quon isn’t listening, though, mumbling that she’s being called to Tokyo – she wants Ayato to take her there.

But that’s impossible, what with that impassable barrier… the one he previously exited? If he could traverse it into the outside, why can’t he make it back? Ayato can’t well argue against that, laughing faintly that the barrier may just be inside him.
Regardless, Ayato also wants to see Tokyo again, to see who he really is. Quon warns that he might not find any answers but that’s fine with him.

: …
: You’re going already?
: I’m being called.
: I see…
: Itsuki, what’s going on?!
: You’ll let him go, won’t you?
: Thank you, brother.
: But, Ayato… why?!
: …Sorry.
: Don’t apologize to me!
: Sorry.
: It’s what you want, right?
: Huh…?
: To see, and ascertain, it all with your own two eyes.
: I don’t know what I’ll find on the other side. But I will accept it and, then, decide whether to live as a MU or come back as a human.

*Slap!*

: You have to come back to us! Not as a human or as a MU but just as yourself!
: You really are different from Souichi.
: You’re still going, aren’t you…?
: Sorry.
: Fine… I trust you.
: I might turn traitor…
: And I would still trust you. Is there a problem with that?
: …Itsuki.
: What is it?
: I promise I’ll watch over your sister. So, please, take care of Haruka.
: Take care of my sister.
: Let’s go, Ollin.
: Hm.
: Thank you… I’m off.
: I’ll see you later…

*Alarm!*

: What’s going on?!
: I-It’s the RahXephon! It’s launched from the Shrine!
: It can’t be! No such orders were given!
: Check the brain waves of whoever’s piloting it – quickly!
: We’ve a match: it’s Ayato… wait, there’s someone else in there!
: What…?!
: Is that… Quon?!
: Quon?! Why…?!
: What are you going to do, commander?!
: … Souichi, what would you do?
: …!
: I believe we should follow emergency procedure B-3.
: A wise decision.
: I’m asking you, commander!
: Let’s go, Quon.
: Yes…

*The Rahxephon leaves.*

: The RahXephon’s fled the area!
: Switch to B-3 status immediately! …Is that alright with you, commander?
: As a representative of the Foundation, I request urgent measures be made to solve this situation – send the Vermillion in pursuit right away, please.
: Commander…!
: As of right now, the Vermillion and the Magnate Ten are the only ones capable of immobilizing the RahXephon.
: They are not a means with which to strike at one of our own.
: “One of our own”? It seems you haven’t yet grasped what just happened.
: The Mulian, Ayato Kamina, has just committed high treason. I presume you’ve no objections to that, right, commander?
: Are you alright with this, Shirou? You’ll let him go without telling him anything?
: I don’t know…
: …He’s already a grown man.
: But I, at the very least, have no right to tell him about that…

Bright is unenthused when Isshiki tells him that we’re to launch and capture the RahXephon and Quon. Elvy wants to know why Isshiki is giving the orders, and he claims to have been given special authority under these circumstances.
Bright informs Isshiki that the Magnate Ten are not under TERRA’s control and, thus, cannot comply with that request. Isshiki claims that he's already taken the matter up with the Federation and that the orders should arrive shortly. Or is it the case that Bright cannot strike at an enemy?
Bright hadn’t heard anything of the sort and asks what proof there is that Ayato is the enemy and Isshiki sneers that, oh yes, we weren’t in on the take. Megumi knows what’s coming but can’t stop it: Isshiki tells everyone of Ayato and his Mulian blood. He’s an enemy of all of humanity.

That comes as quite the shock to our crew but Isshiki notes Ayato’s bloodwork results came positive for MU Phase. It’s only a matter of time before his blood turns from red to blue. Vega, after taking a moment to recover, asks what any of that matters: Mulian or human, he's still our comrade.
Isshiki sniffs that an alien like her shouldn’t really opine on matters like this (surprise!) but, in that case, it’s Kazuya that tells him to back off: Ayato’s race, whatever it is, is not a problem for us. “So says Kazuya Ryuzaki, a toady of the Baamians,” Isshiki mugs.
Kazuya tells Isshiki to get over here and say that to his face but Kyoshiro stops him: this guy’s just like Miwa. Arguing with him would just be a waste of time.

Isshiki isn’t done, proclaiming his amazement that we’ll treat Ayato and anyone else as if they’re equals. Kaine calls out the White Snake, asking if that was a jab at Rom and the others, but Isshiki tells him to take it however he’d like it.
Our squad is quite the haven for beings of dubious origins: the spawn of alien-human miscegenation, humans born via genetic manipulation, cyborgs, androids… As Masato gapes (likely wondering if he could Meioh a single person), Isshiki proclaims how impressed he is by our “curious” tastes in people – excuse him, by the vastness of our hearts.
At length, Bright cuts his rant by acknowledging Isshiki’s request – much to Amuro’s shock – and Isshiki likes hearing that. He adds that Ayato’s life isn’t a matter of concern if he resists capture. Our priority is simply to recover the RahXephon and Quon.

Megumi doesn’t appreciate that but, again, Ayato’s not a human which means they can skip all that “court martial” and “human rights” bunk. With that, he warns Bright to do as told and then hangs up.
Vega asks if Bright’s serious about all that but Amuro slowly sees what’s up: we’ll go and tackle this in whatever way we think is best. First order of business is to go after Ayato to simply make sense of what’s going on. We owe him that much for all the times he fought at our side.
Vega worries that might get Bright in trouble but he’s not worried: taking responsibility for stunts like this is what he does. Now off we go!

Later, our people are catching up to the RahXephon and while everyone’s scrambling to get in their units, Haruka approaches Elvy: she has a favor to ask of her.

Mission 35 – Hemisphere

: …What am I doing? I know that there’ll be no way to come back from this… but if we’re not humans, then—
: … We are humans…
: Huh?
: …We’re humans.
: Quon…
: La-la?
: Does the RahXephon actually belong to you…?
: No. Mine is… different.
: Keep flying this way, Ollin.
: OK…

*Aaaaariaaaaaaaaaaaa*

: Hm?! A D1 Aria…!

: A Dolem… Is it inviting us in?
: They welcome us…

: !
: They’re all here…
: Captain, we’ve the RahXephon in sight!
: Deploy all troops immediately.

Since we did all those Dendoh secret steps, we get to keep the FA! Once you select the Dendoh for deployment, the game will ask which form you want him to go ask.
Note that you can always purge the FA bits to use the baseline Dendoh or Data Weapons.
And before anyone asks, no, the Ogre is not available – you can’t even upgrade it or assign a pilot.

: All troops deployed, Captain.
: Understood. All units, you’re to remain on standby.
: “Standby”? Is that the best course of action here?
: It is. Lt. Hadhiyat, we’re assigning you the task of contacting Ayato.
: Yes, sir…!
: (Ayato… Are you trying to go inside Tokyo Jupiter?)
: The divine birdman… it’s come to see us off.
: The Raideen… is seeing us off?
: (The Raideen isn’t displaying any reaction whatsoever… is it because it already knows what the RahXephon is going to do?)
: We’ve detected a D1 right in front of the RahXephon!
: It’s the same one as before…!
: Is that Dolem going to attack Ayato…?!
: No. I think it’s…
: Ayato, do you hear me?
: Elvy…!
: Return to base at once. This is not a warning – it is an ultimatum.
: An ultimatum…? What’re you gonna do if I don’t obey, then?
: …Then I’ll shoot.
: Are you actually serious, Elvy…?!
: It distorts Ollin’s tune… I don’t like it…
: Come back, Ayato…
: Ayato! Don’t come back! (She’s inside the Vermillion.)
: Haruka?!
: Haruka, what the hell are you doing?!
: S-Sis, why are you aboard the Vermillion?!
: If you come back now, you’ll—…!
: Stop, Haruka! If you don’t, you won’t get off with just a disciplinary action!
: But I know that, someday…!
: I… I want to know the truth – about me, my mom, Tokyo Jupiter… That’s all I’m doing.
: And what would knowing all that help you now?!
: … I know how he feels.
: What?!
: I spent so much of my life without knowing who I really was. And I think me finding the truth was a good thing… it is now, at least.
: So you’re telling me to just let him go?! If he gets to the other side—!

: Dolems!
: Not good – the RahXephon’s a sitting duck!
: No, they’re here to escort him – just as I thought.
: Huh?!
: They’re here to bring Ayato into Tokyo Jupiter, then?!
: Right. They wouldn’t have shown up there if they weren’t.
: We gotta do something about it, then, or this’ll go south big time, right?!
: Yes. If Ayato heads inside, we won’t be able to follow.
: Don’t worry… He’ll come back to us. I’m sure of it.
: He will? Really?
: I think so too, Mari.
: Akira…
: Do you have any shred of proof to back that up?!
: Before, Ayato came back with Shinji. So I trust him.
: Nahel Argama to all units, intercept and bring down those Dolems!
: Are we to let Ayato go, Captain?
: Yes. Seems to me that it’s not us who need to ascertain the truth.
: It’s still too soon to know what lies inside Pandora’s Box, hm? Very well.
: They’ve started fighting… What am I supposed to do…?!
: Let’s go, Ollin.
: But they might…!
: They’ll be fine… So let’s go?

*The RahXephon flies atop Tokyo Jupiter.*

: Is that your answer, Ayato?!
: Ayato…!
: All units, we’ll halt our pursuit of the RahXephon. Move to engage the enemy forces.

A simple mission for us to unwind after the more complicated stuff in the last ones – no added surprises, just take out a bevy of Dolems and keep the Raideen, Vermillion and ships safe.

The new Metronomes have a decent amount of HP for how many of them there are but their armor is appropriately low. Still, there’s always the Zeorymer.
Do note that they have a barrier over 120 morale but I don’t think they ever activated it on this one. Attacks are nothing to write home about, either, with some abysmal accuracy modifiers. Your biggest issue here will be the water and how wide the battlefield is.
Liberal usage of Valor is recommended.

Enemy Phase!

The Metronomes aren’t moving but the Dotem are. This is the only one who gets in range of something.

These are a bit beefier now, backing a heftier punch and not being so easily oneshotted.

Player Phase!

Still gathering kills for Tetsuya. He takes a couple of Dotems after Light softens them up.

Go, Rom! By simply standing in Light’s EWAC, he’s scoring a flat 0% chance to be hit even without Focus!

39 HP short of a oneshot with his second weakest weapon. Considering the FA Dendoh did 700 less damage than that, give Rom a wee bit more morale and he’ll be carving these Dotems up.

Elvy takes one out with some help from Izumi.

Sending the Zeorymer this way to, eventually, bombard the Metronomes.

Be sure to equip him with a Screw Module, though!

Ryouma, Kazuya and Hugo take out the remaining Dotems on this side.

Take out this cheeky statue.

So there.

Enemy Phase!

Only one attacker and Rom dodges in the interest of Tetsuya’s kill count.

Player Phase!

: [Sings Aria]
: I’m... coming home...
: ...
: Laalalaa, lalalaalala, lalalaa… Laalalalalaalalaa, laalalalalalalaa…

: The quantum corridor’s forming again…!
: …Ayato…!
: The RahXephon’s going in…!
: Farewell, birdman of the blue forest… Guardian god of this side’s Mu…
: May the eternal light of the stars be with you…

: The RahXephon’s signal has vanished! Quantum corridor has closed!
: It’s gone to Tokyo Jupiter…
: Megumi, contact TERRA and inform them that we’ve lost the RahXephon… We’ll continue to engage the enemy.
: Y-Yes, sir!
: (The die has been cast… What happens next is all up to you, Ayato.)

Rest of this mission will be in a day or two.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 24, 2017

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Man, was Isshiki always this much of dickhead? I have a tough time remembering Rahxephon characters that aren't Ayato or Haruka or Elvy.

Also,

quote:

: Ye. Seems to me that it’s not us who need to ascertain the truth.

I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be Yes not Ye, but it made me laugh enough that I kinda don't want you to fix it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've never thought the "Ayato is a Mulian!" twist ever landed with much weight in the anime. I think I actually like it a little better here with the response from the Magnate Ten people and Isshiki being a dick.

Alacron posted:

Man, was Isshiki always this much of dickhead? I have a tough time remembering Rahxephon characters that aren't Ayato or Haruka or Elvy.
I think so, but yeah RahXephon characters kind of have that problem.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Alacron posted:

Also,

I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be Yes not Ye, but it made me laugh enough that I kinda don't want you to fix it.

He was mostly just there until recently, whereupon he decided to go Full Miwa. Compared to the original series, his role has thus far been reduced due to other shows dipping their feet into RahXephon's waters.

And I fixed it because leaving it there would make me want to shop Bright's hair onto the Yee dinosaur.

Raxivace posted:

I've never thought the "Ayato is a Mulian!" twist ever landed with much weight in the anime. I think I actually like it a little better here with the response from the Magnate Ten people and Isshiki being a dick.
I think so, but yeah RahXephon characters kind of have that problem.

How much of a twist was it since everyone of TERRA's major characters, and the viewer, already know about it due to the bloodwork already showing him having MU Phase? I reckon the point was just to have that ball drop on Ayato rather than make it a bombastic twist.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 20, 2016

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
I like that Bright's face in his conversation portraits always looks like his is soooo done giving a gently caress.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Ashram posted:

I like that Bright's face in his conversation portraits always looks like his is soooo done giving a gently caress.

This is literally his fourth war looking over mentally unstable kids. I'm pretty sure he's checked out by now.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Materant posted:

This is literally his fourth war looking over mentally unstable kids. I'm pretty sure he's checked out by now.
Let's not forget that he's also presumably seen a lot more weirdness in MX's continuity compared to the Universal Century timeline. I can only imagine how he reacted to Domon's surprise grand confession of love to Rain, for instance.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

AradoBalanga posted:

Let's not forget that he's also presumably seen a lot more weirdness in MX's continuity compared to the Universal Century timeline. I can only imagine how he reacted to Domon's surprise grand confession of love to Rain, for instance.

Probably happy that he came out and said it before she tragically died and left him an emotional wreck. Then Rain survived and they lived happily ever after which was extra nice.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Alacron posted:

Probably happy that he came out and said it before she tragically died and left him an emotional wreck. Then Rain survived and they lived happily ever after which was extra nice.

Yeah, things working out well with nobody tragically dying is something of a rarity in the life of Bright Noa. If anything, I imagine most SRWs end up leaving Bright in a better place, emotionally, as most of the Gundam characters that die in their home series end up surviving, just for starters. I'd say MX may be one of the darker SRWs in terms of UC Gundam, as it's implied that all the pre-ZZ series basically followed canon (if they were alive, you'd think at least Four and Emma would have been part of Londo Bell). So, yeah, a happy ending for G Gundam would likely have been seen as some long overdue good news.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

it's implied that all the pre-ZZ series basically followed canon (if they were alive, you'd think at least Four and Emma would have been part of Londo Bell).

It's outright said by Camille when we first see him. MX came in with the Zeta plot having followed its original plot to the letter.

Amuro, Fa, Quattro and Camille (who got mind crushed!) are the only ones alive.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

While Tetsuya takes out the last Dotem, Kouji leads the charge against the Metronomes.

Keeping Iron Wall on just in case.

After Rom softens it up further, Elvy moves in.

: (Ayato… I’m going in there as well. I’ll meet up with you in Tokyo again…)

Dead.

Enemy Phase!

The Metronomes on this side gang up on Kouji and are promptly rocket punched.
The other packs move in, though only a single unit manages to attack.

Player Phase!

Another kill for Tetsuya.

Next.

: (Ayato… I believe 100% that you’ll come back to us…)

Duke takes it out.

You!

RISING SMASH!

And there goes 10k HP.

Tap sets it up and Elvy takes another.

Less punning, more killing.

Yeah, fine.

Over by this side, we’ll spend this turn setting up Masato’s killing field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfbLMptyCrE
Purging the FA parts to show off another Kiba weapon.

Masato follows up after Kazuya.

: (Ayato… I don’t know what you’ll find in there…)
: (But I’ve faith that you won’t let it get the better of you.)

Build up that morale, boy!

Enemy Phase!

Ryouma gets jumped a few times but Open Get keeps him from being pummeled too much. He does kill one Metronome.

Most of the southern group go after the Zeorymer (perfect) but this one targets the Dendoh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qFMUgrDrA
Let’s me show off the Kiba equivalent to the File Load attack.

Player Phase!

As Tetsuya nabs kill-steals more, I spot a chance to show off the Nadesico girls’ combined attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXhijH02128
Good stuff.

Considering I didn’t keep the Earth route, this will at least somewhat make up for all the kills Masato lost!

And everything dies!

Goodies today are a Minovsky Craft, a Lamune and a Super Alloy nu-Z.

That’s all enemies gone and while Bright calls everyone back, the Vermillion stays out: Haruka wants Elvy to transpose the barrier and help her go after the RahXephon.
Elvy worries that she can’t use the TDD Unit with Haruka lacking the appropriate gear but Haruka says she can handle it – this isn’t the first time she’s gone inside Tokyo Jupiter. It’ll still be rough but she still wants to go for it. Elvy eventually agrees and as they go towards the barrier, Haruka thanks her for the assist.

Elvy sniffs a “don’t mention in” and gets in touch with the Nahel Argama to explain she’ll be executing the Piercer Sequence and the Vermillion will be going silent for a while. Ruri and Bright see what they’re up to and wish the women godspeed.
As for Megumi, Haruka promises to find her way back. Vega also wishes them good luck and Elvy invites her – and Misato – to go grab a drink once they return.

So off goes the Vermillion, extending its Piercer Field and transposing Tokyo Jupiter’s barrier. All we can do now is root for them.

Ayato seems to be in some expanse of nothingness. He’s supposed to be in Tokyo but where are Quon and her mother? Reika suddenly appears, saying the one he’s looking for is over there…

Ayato gets a vision of the MU commander center, with Miwa reporting that the RahXephon’s currently inert inside the Xephon Shrine. No signs of reverting back to its stone form.
Ayato’s shocked to see his mom in some priestess-esque clothes, as Kuki relates to her that Quon isn’t doing too well. She hasn’t worn her life module for a long while. Maya shuts him down, saying she’s well aware of the cause – what she wants to hear is a solution.
As he observes it all, Ayato is left to ponder if this really is the truth.

Haruka and Elvy are already infiltrated in Tokyo. Overhead, they see Dolems keeping watch over the city, though Elvy wonders why that sight doesn't bother anyone around here. Haruka remembers that the things weren’t visible before, so it’s likely the MU have strengthened their mental control over the people to counter that change.
Regardless, she has an idea of where Ayato might’ve gone to and can even lead them there – after all, she grew up in this city. Elvy does want to know one thing: why is Haruka so hung up on Ayato? She hesitates, saying only that he's a very important person to her...

Ayato’s woken up in a hospital, eventually finding Quon lying in another bed. She slowly says that she’s alright – just a bit tired. Maya, back in her normal getup, enters the room and welcomes Ayato back home at last.
Quon asks to hear Maya's voice, and Maya asks her why. Quon doesn’t answer though she seemingly realizes something; the two of them exchange words in some unknown language (“Naimu, mema, nekupa”; “Espa, masa…”) and Maya says she’ll come visit later.
For now, she asks Ayato to head home and she’ll join him shortly.

On the way, Ayato runs into his old friends, Hiroko and Mamoru. It’s been a while since they saw each other and Hiroko sees him to have changed a bit; Mamoru doesn’t know what she’s on about, considering the guy’s only been gone for one month.
It’s that “time in Tokyo is six times slower” business at work and Hiroko confesses to have been very worried. No one at school – not the teachers or the students – said anything, or even seemed to care, about Ayato’s disappearance. This past month, she’s wanted to see and talk to him again… but now she’s got no idea of what she wanted to talk to him about. How is that possible?

Mamoru starts losing his patience and tells her to give it a rest – she’s paranoid. Ayato simply went abroad for a month to run some errands for his family. Ayato slowly confirms but, then, has a question: Reika Mishima had also disappeared, did anyone at school say anything about her?
She was their classmate but neither Hiroko nor Mamoru have any idea who that is. Hiroko is earnestly trying to remember, but Ayato tells her not to worry; the girl’s freaking out, though, she feels like she’s heard that Mishima name before and is forgetting something important.
Is she going crazy or is everyone else around her who is? She wants Ayato’s opinion on this but he only apologizes and says he’s got to go. Mamoru is further mad.

: So, what are we doing here? This where Ayato is?
: This is the junior high I attended. There’re a whole lot of memories here… We walked to school together, studied together, grew flowers together…
: …So that’s how it was.
: I loved him – Ayato…
: Still do?
: …I’m twelve years older than him now. That should be the end of that.
: …Yeesh. I fell for it hook, line and sinker, huh? …Come on, let’s get going.
: Huh?
: We’re already in up to our necks, so we might as well keep at this, no?

: This is… reality… This is where I was… Tokyo…
: This world existed for you, Ayato. It was made for you and you alone.
: For me?
: But you went outside in order to become a true Instrumentalist. And, thus, this world changed: it doesn’t need to match you anymore. Do you understand?
: …Mom… what are you?
: One of those that humanity calls “Mulians”. Though the majority are yet unable to make it over here…
: We could only salvage a scant few from the “other side”: blue blooded people who, currently, can only exist here when a Dolem is synchronized with a human of this world.
: Then…
: Yes, the Mulians are people – humans. We’re not monsters.
: …Am I a Mulian, too?
: You are.
: And dad too? You said he died when I was little but…
: …I love you, Ayato.
: …Then why don’t you show me what you actually look like?
: What?
: Show me what you, the leader of the Mulians, actually look like, mom…!

Hiroko’s having a hard time managing some stuff she's seen: blood changing color, everyone acting strangely… and yet no one thinks there’s anything off. She’s scared and heading towards Ayato’s home when she’s intercepted by the MU secret agents. They ask what her businesses here is but they’re quickly told to stand off – by Mamoru, of all people.
He asks why Hiroko came here and she throws the question right back at him. Why is he and these people around Ayato’s home? The very military-looking Kuki is also here, further confusing Hiroko, but Mamoru tells him she’s of no concern. Moreover, shouldn’t he making a report to Maya? He suggests Kuki get going.
Hiroko wants to know who Mamoru really is but he says he’s just him. Has he been fooling her all along? No but things certainly would be easier if he was, Mamoru sighs. He grabs her and begs she forget about Ayato and come with him.

Hiroko punches him away, causing a stream of blue blood to start dripping from his lip. Telling him to stay away, she runs off...

Back at the hospital, Quon realizes it’s been ages since she last uttered cryptic poetry: “The forest of indecision… the hour of awakening… the young boy’s breath shines silver.” And then she starts singing.

Back at the Kamina residence, Kuki reports that Xephon has started up and is acting far more independently than it ought to. Maya orders him to stop it with the Allegretto and Metronome.
Moreover, a dimensional egg (above) has appeared within the city – now that surprises Maya. Could that be the other… she interrupts Kuki, uncaring for his opinion. Rather, she feels that Quon has started singing and wants him to send people to the hospital.
Maya turns to Ayato to explain that she needs to get back to the military HQ, only to realize that the kid’s left amidst it all.

Ayato’s made up his mind: he can’t stay here. He bumps into Hiroko along the way and she’s injured (in the original show, she got shot by a soldier after running away from Mamoru, so I guess that's what happened here?)
The girl’s in a daze and upon her request, he slowly says that her blood is red (it’s not) – thank god, she thinks. Ayato tells her that he won’t – can’t – be here anymore and she feels the same. She begs, panicking, that Ayato take her with him and not leave her alone here.

: Hiroko, this way!
: Ayato… I…
: I… I think I’ve been waiting…
: Hiroko…
: I’ve been waiting for you… For you to, someday, take me…

*SIRENS!*

: W-What is that…?!
: RahXephon…!

*The RahXephon closes in and lands right next to them.*

: Did you… come for me…?
: There’s no place for us here anymore… This is no home for us…! We have to get out – with you… So, please, hear me…!
: RAAAAAAHXEPHOOOOOOOOOON!!

*RahXephon howls.*

: This our way out…?
: That’s right… Let’s get in…

: Hrm! The RahXephon’s…!
: Ayato! Don’t!!

: The corridor’s open again?! He’s going outside?!
: Ayato! He’s leaving!!

: !!
: He’s gone…!
: Haruka!
: He’s gone…!
: Pull yourself together! How is crying gonna help with anything?!
: …!!
: We’ve no time to waste here – we need to get out as well!
: Elvy…!
: Staying here’s only gonna get us killed by these Dolems! And if Ayato’s back out there, then you’ll have plenty of chances to look for him!
: Y-You’re right…!
: Then let’s go! Piercer Sequence, initiated! Full power to the field generator!
: (Ayato…!)

*The Vermillion leaves.*

Miwa reports to Maya that Quon’s vanished along with the other dimensional egg, while Kuki also relates that the Xephon and TERRA’s machine have fled beyond the barrier.
Kuki wants her permission to send units in pursuit immediately, especially with that mechanical god out there as well. Maya still isn’t worried, what with the Star of La Mu still not shining; it's likely looking to see where Ixtli’s guidance and Ollin are headed…
Kuki wants an answer but Maya tells him not to speak with her right now. Fail to heed that warning and she’ll have him killed.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 21, 2016

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
And here was me just thinking that things were making a bit too much sense. Bit jarring to transition from nice straightforward Dendoh stuff to... this.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Oblique Angle posted:

And here was me just thinking that things were making a bit too much sense. Bit jarring to transition from nice straightforward Dendoh stuff to... this.

So... if I got everything

Muians are all humans, but also still aliens.
Haruka was from Tokyo Jupiter, left and due to the whole time dilation aged 12 years before Ayato met her again.
The people in Tokyo Jupiter don't know they're Muians and are kept in control with Mind Control

Am I missing something?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Onmi posted:

So... if I got everything

Muians are all humans, but also still aliens.
Haruka was from Tokyo Jupiter, left and due to the whole time dilation aged 12 years before Ayato met her again.
The people in Tokyo Jupiter don't know they're Muians and are kept in control with Mind Control

Am I missing something?

I've spent a, frankly, worrisome amount of time trying to make sense of RahXephon's plot points for this and here's how I'm reading it:

The Mulians ARE humans - not really aliens, just a slightly different kind. Maya is a true-to-form, 100% legit Mulian, as per her words, and the others like her are stuck on "the other side". Thus, any other "Mulians" on this side are actually people who've had their minds and bodies sync'd to one of those via a Dolem. Ayato is unique in a sense that he's a Mulian due to his DNA - he's not synchronized via a Dolem (the RahXephon isn't one).

Haruka was from Tokyo before the Jupiter barrier was erected. She was stuck outside when it happened and suffered the time dilation, yes.

Two kinds of people exist in Tokyo Jupiter: those in with the MU (Mamoru, the gestapo, Kuki, Miwa, etc) and those who aren't - yet. Those not in with the MU have some mind control to keep them from seeing what's what (until they start turning? Don't know).

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Brunom1 posted:

I've spent a, frankly, worrisome amount of time trying to make sense of RahXephon's plot points for this and here's how I'm reading it:

The Mulians ARE humans - not really aliens, just a slightly different kind. Maya is a true-to-form, 100% legit Mulian, as per her words, and the others like her are stuck on "the other side". Thus, any other "Mulians" on this side are actually people who've had their minds and bodies sync'd to one of those via a Dolem. Ayato is unique in a sense that he's a Mulian due to his DNA - he's not synchronized via a Dolem (the RahXephon isn't one).

Haruka was from Tokyo before the Jupiter barrier was erected. She was stuck outside when it happened and suffered the time dilation, yes.

Two kinds of people exist in Tokyo Jupiter: those in with the MU (Mamoru, the gestapo, Kuki, Miwa, etc) and those who aren't - yet. Those not in with the MU have some mind control to keep them from seeing what's what (until they start turning? Don't know).

So wait, being synched with a Dolem does what?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Onmi posted:

So wait, being synched with a Dolem does what?

We don't really know yet - only that it's necessary for a Mulian stuck on the "other side" to exist in this world at the present.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

There he is with the weird faces again. Poor Ayato looks like someone gave him one of Kusuha's health drinks.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Kind of wondering if becoming a Mulian in terms of synchronization to a Dolem is a matter of being linked to an alternate-universe counterpart who happens to have blue blood. Or maybe it's a personality overwrite? Doesn't help that we don't actually see many instances of people who've changed from human to Mulian, and that one of them is Hiroko (who I doubt is a typical case due to how messy we see her transition is).

Also doesn't help that it's been a decade since I last watched the show, so some of the details are a bit fuzzy.

I would suggest that anybody here who hasn't seen the show go back through updates with Haruka and Ayato interacting and reread them with the new bit of information from this update in mind.

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 21, 2016

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

The Sandman posted:

Kind of wondering if becoming a Mulian in terms of synchronization to a Dolem is a matter of being linked to an alternate-universe counterpart who happens to have blue blood. Or maybe it's a personality overwrite? Doesn't help that we don't actually see many instances of people who've changed from human to Mulian, and that one of them is Hiroko (who I doubt is a typical case due to how messy we see her transition is).

I don't think it's ever made crystal clear, but this is, as I recall, kinda close to how it works, except it might also involve time travel to some degree? RahXephon is great for a lot of reasons, but explaining itself well isn't one of them. You get the gist of the important stuff, but the finer details are sort of left hanging.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Maya asks Miwa for an estimate on the progression of the outside world’s schedule – Case S, it's called. Considering the time difference, she imagines they’re about at stage 13 BUT can’t hazard a guess as to how the schedule was affected by this side’s influence. It’s possible things aren’t proceeding in order.
Maya ponders that stage 13 is an important factor in the development of “their key”. Should they send troops to disrupt it, then? No, Maya says it’s not necessary.
More importantly, didn’t someone leave here with Ayato before? Mamoru slowly confirms and Maya decides to said person to use. Mamoru is bothered but won’t argue with her.

: … It seems the RahXephon has returned to this side.
: Not once, but twice now… the “key’s” awakening may be close at hand. We ought to assume that the other side is moving at a faster pace than what is depicted in the schedule.
: Corrections to the operational timetable are already underway after the disappearance of the second branch and EVA-04… We should see no major variations.
: Still, while the emergence of the Angels has been less than what was originally expected, the situation does not allow us the luxury of guesswork. Also, there’s the possibility that Ikari will try to find a different use for the EVA-03.
: That, he would... especially considering this side’s “key” is firmly in his grasp.
: Moreover, there’s still the matter of that troublesome old man. He’s steadily making headway with another means of bringing about the end… the mobile weapon crowned with the Devil’s name.
: In that case, we should simply make use of our insurance policy.
: The issue is that man – like Masaki Kihara – is also somewhat familiar with our project. At worst, he, together with the Magnate Ten, could actually turn into a significant obstacle.
: Very well. Then we should ring the proverbial bell – Elde Mitte’s bell, that is.

Elvy and, especially, Haruka aren’t happy to find out that even our folks have lost sight of the RahXephon. Vega relates that it went south after leaving Tokyo Jupiter but it vanished after being engulfed in a magnetic storm.
Megumi wants to know what happened inside Tokyo and why Ayato hasn’t come back to us but Haruka can’t really answer that. Bright says the Federation’s got some AWACS trying to ping the RahXephon but, for now, we’ll be reorganizing ourselves at GEAR.
If anything, Vega is glad that the women made it back safely and tells Haruka to keep her chin up – isn’t she the one who said that Ayato would come back to us eventually? So we should continue to believe in him and be patient.

Kouji is wondering where Ayato could’ve run off to and Hayato posits that he must have a reason for not coming back. Or maybe he figures he, a Mulian, has no place with us? Benkei vehemently rejects that idea, as no one here would care about that sort of us.
When Domon asks, Akira says he has no idea what to do about this – the Raideen hasn’t reacted in any way, either. Rom says that there’s a moment in every person’s life where they must face and rise above the harshness of reality… and he wants to believe Ayato has the strength to do so.

NERV HQ

Misato is aghast to learn that the boot-up test for EVA-03 has been moved up two days at Gendou's orders. She doesn’t think the pilot’s ready for this. Ritsuko says he’s already begun taking the necessary lectures and, furthermore, Misato ought to know that they haven’t the wiggle room to take things slowly.
Things are only going to get worse from here on out, so they need as many combat-ready EVAs as possible – even one more will help tremendously and that’s why they’re doing all this. Is that why things are proceeding so quickly, Misato wonders?
The speed with which the #03 is being brought over and the selection of the Fourth Children… it’s all incomparably faster than with the EVA-02. Further proof of how important this is, Ritsuko says. There’s no hidden agenda here.
Misato doesn’t look convinced.

Later, Misato goes visit Kaji in hopes that he has some idea what's going on. He observes that it's not like her to depend on others, and she responds that she's got no time to keep up appearances these days.
She asks him to tell her what's really going on with the Marduk Institute - how was Fourth Children found so fast? Kaji seem hesitant to speak but eventually tells her to check up on Code 707 - the number of Shinji's school. Marduk does not in fact exist at all - it's just a front for NERV itself... meaning for Gendou.
That’s all he’s going to say but, in return, would she hear a small request from him? He’d like her to forward the data she has on the Tsentr Project prototype, the Medius Locus. Why? Well, the other day, he was poking around a list detailing those involved in the development for the MAGI supercomputers and a name stood out… Elde Mitte.

Misato’s surprised Kaji knows about Elde’s involvement in the Medius project but that’s kind of his job. He doesn’t figure Elde as someone directly connected to NERV, rather, she was likely hired as a third-party staff. But, again, he’s not telling any more.
Misato agrees to send him a copy of the data IF he lets her pass this bit of info along to Hugo and Aqua. That’s fine with him, so long as she keeps it limited to those two.

The EVA kids are having a regular school day, with class having just ended. Kensuke’s raring to leave, even though Shinji points out he slept through the whole thing. Well, he got back home late yesterday, having gone to Yokosuka to check out some Dragoons stationed there.
Of course, those units aren’t anything impressive to Shinji and Kensuke is green with envy over how he gets to hang out with rare bots like the Dragonars, Gundams, Mazingers, Aestivalis… Shinji never really thought of it like that but, yeah, it’s a positive of the job.
Rei’s already taking off and tells that Asuka’s off with Hikari. As she leaves, Shinji realizes that Touji wasn’t around today. Maybe he’s visiting his sister at the hospital? Hmm…

But that doesn’t matter, Kensuke has more important stuff on his mind: like confidential NERV intel he (again) hacked from his father’s computer. He’s particularly curious about the newly completed EVA-03 and rumors that NERV’ll be running a boot-up test tomorrow. Sadly, Shinji hasn’t heard anything about it.
Does he know if they’ve picked a pilot yet? Nope. Kensuke sighs wistfully, wishing Misato would give him an EVA of his own. Can Shinji make that happen? Nope. And, for that matter, Shinji also hasn’t been told zip about the vanishing NERV second branch and EVA-04. Must be one of those need-to-know things, Kensuke figures.
Shinji gets deep in thought and Kensuke apologizes for all the questions. Will Shinji be attending school for a bit again? Yes, though he’s on call – if the order comes, it’s back to the Magnate Ten. That’s better than nothing, so Kensuke gives him a “see you tomorrow.”

Shinji’s left to ponder the lack of information regarding the EVA-03 or its chosen pilot. He’s got a bad feeling… but is interrupted the Touji shows up. He’s got something to talk with him.

Over by Hikari’s place, Asuka finds her making a box lunch for her sisters and, more important to Asuka, Touji. She already cooks three of these a day, so a fourth wasn’t any problem.
That’s obviously not the whole of it and asks if Hikari’s that taken with Touji. The girl stutters a confirmation, somewhat surprised that Asuka noticed – of course she did, she’s not dense like the Three Stooges.
Hikari argues that Shinji’s just innocent but, no, Asuka says he’s thick and stupid and he’s got no idea how to interact with people. Hikari confesses she took him as someone like that… when he first transferred over. Nowadays, not so much: he’s still a quiet kid but he’s now willing to actively start talking with folks.

Asuka allows that he's got plenty of influences like that around him, and asks Hikari what she sees in the hot-headed Touji. She says softly that he’s got a gentler side and Asuka certainly didn’t expect that answer. Hikari figures she simply hasn’t gotten a chance to see it but swears it’s true.
Well, Asuka won’t call her assessment into question but she suggests she just go and tell the guy how she feels: this world is too crazy to dilly-dally. Hikari’s a bit ill at ease at the thought but Asuka says there’s no telling what tomorrow might bring. She doubts Hikari wants to regret it later.

: So, what did you want to talk about, Touji?
: Erm, well… Shinji… When ya first got on your Evangelion, how’d ya feel?
: How was it? Ya felt scared or somethin’?
: Why… why are you asking me that?
: ‘Cuz I… The truth is… I’ll be pilotin’ the #03 tomorrow.
: Y-You’re joking, right?!
: It’s true. This NERV chick, Akagi, came over the other day… Said that if I became the thing’s pilot, they’d get my sis over to NERV’s infirmary and she’d be gettin’ world-class treatment.
: B-But… Why do you need to be the one to pilot the EVA?!
: It’s just how it is, I guess… And I went and said OK – to help my baby sis, yeah?
: But… I’m scared of doin’ it. I told myself it was no big deal – easy stuff… but now that I’m just a day away, I’m gettin’ cold feet…
: Touji…
: Can I… really pull off the stuff you, Rei and Asuka do…?
: … It’ll be alright. Anyone would get scared and confused at first but… you’ll have everyone at NERV helping you as best they can. Honestly, they’ve saved me so many times already.
: Plus, there are a lot of supportive people in the Magnate Ten.
: Supportive, eh…? I reckon they’re a fine bunch if you’re sayin’ stuff like that.
: They are… So you’ll be fine tomorrow. If even I can do this, I’m sure you’ll do great.
: Hm… Sorry. I didn’t even think of how ya’d feel before droppin’ those questions…

We find Ayato and Hiroko holed up in a hotel room in the outskirts of Neo Tokyo 3. He’s about to head out for a part-time job and leaving her with the spare key – the plan is to get enough cash saved to pay for a ticket out of Neo Tokyo 3.
Hiroko ponders the name, a Tokyo she had no idea existed, and Ayato says he’ll be back by dinnertime. Until then, it’d be safer if she didn’t go outside by herself. Hiroko seems a bit bothered and asks Ayato if he’s doing this out of some sense of responsibility.

He denies this, saying that he knows very well that they can't go on doing this forever. He just wants time to think, believing that he'll figure out what to do next. He promises her that one day he'll use RahXephon to get Mamoru and her family out of Tokyo, and leaves.
“I… can’t picture my mom and dad… I can’t even remember them…” Hiroko thinks. “Who am I…? Am I not human? Is that why my blood is blue…? Ayato… If I told you the truth, would you still look at me the same way…?”

The afternoon of the next day, the EVA-03’s just been unloaded at NERV’s test site. Ritsuko has Maya already start things set up – if all goes according to plan, they’ll be doing the boot-up test in two and a half hours. Misato pokes at the “according to plan” bit, considering this was SUPPOSED to be done at Matsushiro in case anything went wrong.
Ritsuko says the decision’s already been made, so bellyaching won’t change anything. She suggests Misato go pick up the Fourth Children but she says Shinji’s bringing him over. Ritsuko figures Misato told him but, no, it was all Touji. At least Misato hopes this’ll help ease Shinji’s worries. A convenient way to look at things, Ritsuko notes, and Misato grimly agrees.

Back to Neo Tokyo 3, school’s just ended so Touji and Shinji are about to leave when Hikari comes over. Touji greets her and asks if she needs anything – he’s got something to do soon, though. Hikari doesn’t say anything, probably due to a clueless Shinji being right there, and Asuka steps over to ask him to go to the mart with her.
Then they should bring Touji alo- Is he stupid? No! Hurry up! As Shinji’s hauled away, he says he’ll be waiting for Touji over at said mart. Now that they’re alone, Hikari slowly says that she’s got two sisters she makes lunch boxes for – Kodama and Nozomi; she may not look it, but she's a pretty good cook.

So, she had the ingredients to spare and saw fit to make him something. Touji sighs that she’d do this for him but is grateful – he can always help her get rid of whatever ingredients are left.
Still, he needs to take off now. When Hikari asks, he says he can’t tell her where he’s going yet – once he’s back, though, he’ll explain it all. He wants to make up for all the fights they've had until now...

Back to NERV’s test area, we’ve one minute left to go! Maya’s running her checks on the EVA-03’s and everything’s going well – surprisingly so, Misato thinks. Ritsuko figures the unit’ll likely be ready for live combat as soon as this is over, though Misato doesn’t seem too enthused about it. Why the attitude? The #03 will very likely be deployed to the Magnate Ten, even.
Misato muses that between all the Super Robots and four EVAs, our squad could well destroy the world if it wanted. Ritsuko agrees, musing further that maybe that's what our group was established for.

Well, it’s time to start the experiment: Ritsuko commands the Entry Plug inserted and things are off. Pulse is fine, graphs are looking normal, initial contact is A-OK. Absolute borderline is reached, A10 neural connection is good, bidirectional circuit is open and the harmonics are looking well. So far, the test is going swimmingly.
But there’s trouble on the horizon: the alarm sounds and we get a transmission from the government’s tactical command saying unidentified objects are headed right this way!

Makoto’s pinged the objects as D1 and D2 Dolems, though the D1 is a new model. Fuyutsuki figures their timing is too strange – could they be here after the #03? Or, Gendou ponders, they could be looking for clues to the missing RahXephon. Regardless, the Federation won’t arrive in due time, so Gendou sounds the red alert.
Misato runs in and Makoto relates the situation: the Dolems are currently over Odawara. That’s very close to Neo Tokyo 3 and Misato wonders what the hell the Feds are doing, considering they were supposed to have AWACS out looking for the RahXephon.
Makoto says they do but the detection was hampered due to the sudden outbreak of magnetic storms and cumulonimbus clouds that’d been happening around the area. Shigeru gets an update, saying the Dolems have shifted their vectors and are headed for Lake Ashi – seems NERV really isn’t their target.

Gendou tell Misato to send all EVAs over to intercept the things and she scrambles to get Shinji, Asuka and Rei out there… Didn’t she hear her orders? Gendou wants all EVAs deployed and that means the #03 as well. The boot-up test was a success, no? Misato argues the pilot hasn’t even finished his training yet but Gendou says it’s a direct order. Get to it.
Fuyutsuki tells Gendou that allowing the EVAs and Dolems to interact is very risky business – remember what happened last time – and doing it with the EVA-03 is far more so. Gendou isn’t worried, more interested in using this as a chance to check if the MU’s influence will cause anything to change.

Back at the hotel, Ayato’s just arrived from another day at work and he’s managed to scrounge up enough money for them to leave Neo Tokyo 3 tomorrow. Hiroko’s not looking to spritely and, when asked, lets Ayato choose what they’ll have for dinner.
As he ponders what to get, Hiroko just sits there quiet. At length, Ayato asks if she’s not feeling well. With an uneasy smile, she slowly says she’s got something to tell him. Ayato wonders what’s gotten to her and, well, lately she… has felt like eating some spaghetti alle vongole. Yeah, that’s it.
Well, Ayato offers to get some of that for dinner but, right then, the town’s sirens start blaring.

Mission 36 – Life’s Destination

: What are those…?!
: Dolems…!
: “Dolems”?!
: They’re our enemies…!
: Enemies…?!
: Huh? Is that—!

: The Evangelions…! Right, Shinji and the others were recalled to NERV HQ…

*Looks at the EVA-03*

: I’ve never seen that EVA before…
: But… what’s this I’m feeling…?
: Is everyone ready?
: Hmhmm, good to go!
: Suzuhara, we’ll intercept the targets. You stay back, please.
: …Ya worried ‘bout me? Now that’s new.
: …Is it?
: You have to be careful, Touji. Don’t go too far with this.
: He’s right – you’re the newbie here. So do what newbies do: sit back and watch how we do it.
: Nah, I’m a man too, ya hear? I already made up my mind to do this thing… so that’s what’s gonna happen.
: B-But…
: Don’t worry ‘bout me. I’m fightin’ to keep my sis, Kensuke, Hikari and all our friends safe too… I’m gonna make it work…!
: That’s the way. Keep it up and make sure Hikari’s lunch wasn’t wasted on you.
: Ya, I got it!
: Alright. Then, troops… open fire!

Evangelion Unit #03 (Touji Suzuhara)
Pilot Skills:
  • Sword Cut L3
  • Support Attack L3
  • Support Defense L3
  • Counter L4
Spirit Commands:
  • Guts (25)
  • Alert (10)
  • Strike (20)
  • Valor (30)
  • Faith (40)
  • Iron Wall (15)
Touji’s Voice Actor: Tomokazu Seki

Touji’s another one of those good characters that can’t make it among our top guys. The #03, being a more recent model, packs naturally a naturally stronger Battle Rifle, Progressive Knif and Positron Rifle than our other EVAs but he’s got no way of catching up to stuff like the Magoroku Sword or the Unison Kick.
Stat-wise, he’s pretty much as good as Shinji and Asuka but where he excels is in his defenses: he’s got the highest defensive stat of all EVA pilots and, with that dirt cheap Iron Wall, he’ll be very hard to kill.
Not the strongest but you can definitely field him if you want.

Make sure you take advantage of the good terrain around.

The D2 Dotems are once again piss weak; I guess that’s in case you haven’t been upgrading the EVAs as I have.

Asuka and Rei also oneshot their targets.

The #03’s still factory spec’d but it should be fine.

: Take a look! Imma do my part!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNSfo_QgRiI
That’s actually 150-ish more damage than Shinji’s upgraded weapon.

Enemy Phase!

The Dotems gang up on Shinji and are swatted aside, teaching him Zeal.
The Metronomes are hanging back, though one trades blows with the #01.

Player Phase!

Touji and Rei each kill one of the remaining Dotems.

Let’s take these out. Don’t worry about using SP here.

Add an assist from Shinji and down it goes.

Enemy Phase!

Almost there.

Player Phase!

Take it away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H94ieDyFstc

: …What, that’s it?!
: Yes. All enemies are gone.
: Huh. Considering our previous fights, that was strangely quick.
: Looks like it’s over.
: Ayato… You know those robots?
: Ah, I do…
: Are friends of yours piloting them, by any chance?
: …Yeah, they are.
: (Ayato’s got people in this world who are waiting for him… but I’ve no one anymore. No one except him…)
: Either way, Touji wasn’t half bad for his first battle. Doesn’t hold a candle to me, of course, but still good-ish.
: Aw, don’t be like that. Hey, Touji…

: Something wrong,Touji?
: Probably a bit woozy now that the adrenaline’s settling down. Understandable, I guess.
: Are you alright, Touji?

*Shinji walks over the #03.*

! Ikari, get away from him!
: Huh…?!

: Wh-What?!
: The… The EVA-03…!
: UUOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

*Alarm!*

: What happened?!
: Something’s infected the #03’s central nervous system! We’re detecting a high energy signal within!
: The pattern’s changed – it’s gone blue!
: It can’t be… an Angel?!
: Transmit an emergency shutdown command. Force the Entry Plug’s ejection.
: It’s not working! Neither the shutdown command or the Plug ejection code are being accepted!
: And the pilot?
: We’re detecting signs of heart rate and respiration but…!
: Ikari…!
: … The Evangelion Unit #03 is to be discarded immediately. Redesignate it as the Thirteenth Angel.
: “Thirteenth”?!
: Order the #01, #02 and #00 to destroy it.
: B-But!

*Ping!*

: Dad, what’s going on?!
: Did you not hear me? The three of you are to destroy the target immediately.
: B-But that’s an EVA… and Touji’s inside!
: Shinji… that is an EVA no longer. It’s an Angel.

For those curious, since the game doesn’t exactly spell it out: remember those cumulonimbus clouds which were part of the reason why the Dolems weren’t detected earlier? Turns out the Angel was hiding inside it and once the EVA-03’s plane passed through them en route to NERV, the thing infected it like a parasite. And now it’s taken over.
That’s the only explanation the show gives you and, yes, the transformation is just as abrupt in there.

: drat it…! How could the #03 get jacked by an Angel?!
: We have to do something…! We need to save Touji!
: But how?!

*The #03 charges after Asuka.*

: ?!
: ASUKA!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_czNR-VITds

: A-Asuka!!
: Th-that EVA’s attacking the others?!
: EVA-02 has one silent!
: The pilot’s been ejected – recovery teams are on their way!

*Asuka retreats as the #03 goes after Rei.*

: The target’s head after the EVA-00!
: Rei, avoid close range combat and cripple the target.
: Yes, sir.
: You, too, Shinji.
: I-I can’t do that! Touji’s still aboard it!
: … Suzuhara…!
: Ayanami, stop! We can’t attack him!

: A-Argh…!!
: Ayanami!

*The #00’s disabled, vanishing from the map.*

: What… what the hell’s going on there?!
: Do you copy, Shinji? You’re the only one left – destroy the target.
: B-But…!
: Touji! Please, talk to me!
: If you’re alive, say something! I… I swear I’ll find a way to save you!

Something curious I failed to point out before.

All of the EVAs weapons (except the Sniper Rifle) DO carry the A.T. Field Neutralization debuff! We haven’t been fighting many Angels in this game but it’s something to keep in mind.
To progress, you must reduce Bardiel below 70% (do note that if you actually manage to destroy it, it’s a game over).

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 24, 2016

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

: Kch…uuurgh…!
: Shinji…!!

: Life support systems are failing!
: Pilot condition, deteriorating!
: Cut the #01’s sync ratio down to 60%!
: Belay that.
: But commander! If we don’t do something, Shinji will…!
: Shinji… why won’t you destroy the Angel?
: Because Touji’s aboard it, dad!
: Irrelevant. That’s an Angel… it is our enemy to defeat.
: I can’t do that!!
: …Then you will die.
: I… I’d rather die than kill a friend!
: Shinji…!
: …Cut the pilot’s synchronization with the EVA-01 entirely.
: Cut it, sir…?!
: Yes. Switch the circuit to the Dummy Plug.
: ! It’s not ready yet – there are still issues to be—!
: It’s still the better option face the pilot’s state. Do it!
: … Yes, sir.

: Urk…!

: Haah, haah, haah…!

*System power up.*

: What… what did you do, dad?!
: Signal reception confirmed!
: Control system switch, complete. 32.8% of emotional elements are too unclear to be monitored!
: 142 seconds until the energy in the #01’s internal battery is spent!
: No matter – that is more than enough. Engage the system… attack.

: Th-That’s!!
: UOOOOOOOOOOO….!!

: Th-That’s… the strength of the Dummy Plug…?!
: What’s going on?! Why is it moving on its own?!
: N-No…!!
: Ayato?!
: They can’t use that!!
: S-STOP IT!! DAD, STOP IT! STOP!!
: Touji! Say something! You’re going to die!!
: It… It needs to be stopped! If not, Shinji will—!

*Hooooooooowl*

: A-An object has just entered the area of operations!
: What?!
: Identification: 5A…! I-It’s the RahXephon!
: What did you say?!

: RahXephon…!

: Yes…! That's it...!
: Ayato…?
: Hiroko… back at Tokyo, I thought I had lost everything… But I was wrong.
: I have things that I must protect… Shinji, his friends… and you… I’ll keep you all safe.
: A-Ayato…!
: That’s why I have to go.
: Ayato, I’ve something I need to tell you…!
: Don’t worry – I promise I’ll come back. So wait right here, alright?
: I-I’ve so much I need to talk with you about… so much I want to ask about you, too! And I’d like you to know more about me… So, yes, I’ll wait for you! I’ll wait for as long as I have to!
: I’ll be waiting right here! Ayatooo!

*The RahXephon howls as Ayato gets back aboard.*

: Urk – drat it! Stop, stop, stop, stop, stop, stop, STOP!!
: I-I did not start piloting an EVA to do something like this!! I didn’t live up to now just to do this!!
: So, please, stop! STOOOOOOP!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuq710b0V6o

: The… The RahXephon…!
: A-Ayato…?!
: We’ll do this together…!
: The two of us will stop IT… Together, just like last time!

: What just happened?!
: Both the EVA-01 and the target have gone silent!
: Silent… did you say “silent”?!
: Y-Yes, sir! The #01 has simply exhausted its internal batteries but we’re unable to determine why the same happened to the target.
: …What do you think, Ikari?
: … It appears the RahXephon has given us a glimpse of its “Tuning” powers.
: The EVA and the RahXephon… two supposedly conflicting beings and, yet, this is the second time they’ve resonated with one another… Is this also due to the other side’s influence?
: Yes. And now the schedule will need to undergo another major rewrite.
: This wind is blowing in our favor, then.
: The operation is complete. Recover the Unit #01 and Unit #03 quickly.
: … Yes, sir.
: What about the RahXephon, commander?
: Recover it as well – along with its pilot.
: …Understood.

: Haruka’s told us what happened.
: She did…?
: Welcome back… and thank you.
: Misato…
: It’s because of you that things turned out like this.
: N-No, I just gave them a small hand…
: Still, it’s very likely those two wouldn’t have made it out safely if you hadn’t shown up when you did.
: …Oh, yeah, Misato. I’ve a favor I’d like to ask.
: What is it?
: It’s about this girl, Hiroko—

:siren:

: A Dolem?!
: Ah- Aah…!!
: AAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

*Vibrato sings aria.*

: This is bad! We’re in no shape to deal with that thing!
: I’ll take care of it, Misato…!
: Ayato?!
: I made a promise… that I’d protect her!
: “Her”?
: I’ll protect Hiroko… I have to!
: Ayato!!
: Kch…uurgh… I need… I need to tell him… I need to tell… Ayato…!!
: HAAAAAAAAAAH!!

*Ayato charges after Vibrato*

: A-Aya…to…!
: Wait just a bit more, Hiroko! I swear I’ll be coming back to you!

: GAAAAAAAAH!!
: I… I know now what I have to do…! I… I…I’ll protect her… I will protect her…!
: I’ll protect… HIROKO ASAHINAAAAAAAA!!

: I need… I need to… tell him…
: Tell him… the truth… A Y A T O…!
: Hiroko’s waiting for me...! And I’ll make it back to her!!
: RAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE6hTkUm41s

: K-Kch! WAAAAAAAAAAH!!

: A-Aah…ah—…!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHRDJY4NGc0
:siren: Captions are available. Watch this. :siren:

: Haah, haah, haah, haah…!
: …A Y A T O …

“Ayato… goodbye.”

*Alarm!*

: What’s going on?! Why isn’t the #01’s Entry Plug ejecting?!
: The interlock circuit’s been cut from the unit’s side! It’s not receiving the ejection signal!
: Shinji, please! If we hadn’t done what we did, you would have died!
: … That’s not the point.
: But it’s still the truth!
: Saying stuff like that is only making me madder… Don’t. I still have 185 seconds of energy in reserve… that’s enough to destroy half the HQ!
: He might actually do it, way he is right now…!
: Shinji, listen to us! Everyone might have died if the commander hadn’t made that decision!
: I just told you that’s not the point!
: Dad… He tried to kill Touji! With my hands, even!!
: You’re there, aren’t you, dad?! Say something! Answer me!!
: Raise the LCL pressure to the maximum.
: I’ve no time to indulge a child’s tantrum.
: Y-Yes, sir…

: Huh?! I still have direct control—!

: Urk! Gah…! drat… drat it…!

*Shinji passes out.*

: Get a laser cutter and pry open the #01’s emergency hatch. Pull the pilot out.
: R-Roger that.
: What’s the status on the RahXephon?
: The recovery team has already brought it in but there was no sign of the pilot. We’re currently looking for him.
: I see. Then, Prof. Akagi, I leave the RahXephon in your care.
: … Understood.

Later, Misato’s gotten in touch with Haruka – the search party has already found Ayato. He was in a hotel room, together with someone NERV believes had been synchronized to a D1 Dolem. She was already dead when they arrived.
Misato presents the ID of the deceased - it’s a fourteen-year-old file, mind. Haruka immediately recognizes Hiroko and Misato expected she would, having seen the school the girl went to. Haruka realizes Misato did some digging into her but Misato says that’s the job they both have.
As for Ayato, he was found in tears next to Hiroko. Haruka asks if she can see him but Misato says that’ll be difficult; since he’s a member of the Magnate Ten, Misato had him placed under her care but folks here are also somewhat aware of what’s up with him.

Still, Misato swears she’ll use her full authority to make sure no harm comes to Ayato. Haruka thanks her and asks what the current situation back at TERRA is. Well, NERV has already received an official request that the RahXephon and Ayato be given back… it was signed by Commander Isshiki.
Kunugi took full responsibility for everything that’s happened – taking the brunt of the blowback instead of Ayato, Haruka and Bright. As a result, he’s been stripped of his position and placed in house arrest.
Misato can imagine how Haruka’s feeling but asks she leave Ayato in her hands for now. She'll do everything in her power to help him.

Well, at least we saved Touji and the EVA-03… got a new unit to use…

:qq: :qq: :qq:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So Dolem's synchronize to Muians, and then if the Dolem's are destroyed.

Ah... I see.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Wait, we get to save Touji, but Hiroko still gets fridged?
Banpresto!:argh:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ardeem posted:

Wait, we get to save Touji, but Hiroko still gets fridged?
Banpresto!:argh:

While it WOULD be amusing to save her and get a Dolem party member, that simply wouldn't work with how the synchronization process works. It's always a Mulian controlling the Dolem and the human host - either forcibly, like Hiroko's case, or more cooperatively when the host doesn't resist their control.

And then there's the fact that, you know, unlike the EVAs, the host AND the possessing Mulian do suffer the same damage inflicted on the Dolem.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I always love how this moment is handled when SRW gets to handle it. Because it's always a neat way of seeing how Shinji has changed across the game. Alpha's one is tremendous too, with Shin Getter 1 emerging to purge the gently caress out of Eva-1. And then Shinji deciding to leave NERV his dad trying to pull the "Running away again?" card and Shinji going "No. I'm going back to the Londo Bel, because I don't care if I don't have the Eva. They will accept me, and I'll do anything to be with them, go gently caress yourself dad."

Shinji telling Gendo to go gently caress himself never gets old.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Onmi posted:

So Dolem's synchronize to Muians, and then if the Dolem's are destroyed.

Ah... I see.

So yeah theyve been killing people all this time.

Heavy

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Rigged Death Trap posted:

So yeah theyve been killing people all this time.

Heavy

I mean, that's also what we've been doing to Giganos mooks all game, but then again those were soldiers and not (presumably) civilians.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Alacron posted:

I mean, that's also what we've been doing to Giganos mooks all game, but then again those were soldiers and not (presumably) civilians.

They have ejection seats. This is also reflected in their combat dialogue.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
So, yeah. Deciding to combine these two events? Dick move, game. Dick move.

The only consolation is that it's faster than Hiroko's death was in the anime, where she was desperately trying to write down her last message to Ayato as he unknowingly beat her to death. Which is why the last character in "sayonara" looks like that; she just barely finishes, and the pen is still in her hand as she dies.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Sandman posted:

So, yeah. Deciding to combine these two events? Dick move, game. Dick move.
It could have been worse. We could have had Zeorymer plot running around and have to deal with Masaki Kihara being a righteous douchecanoe during all this.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

AradoBalanga posted:

It could have been worse. We could have had Zeorymer plot running around and have to deal with Masaki Kihara being a righteous douchecanoe during all this.

: Ayaatoo! It's me! Stop!
: What?! I'm stopping! Did I hurt you?
: It's me. The thing is me. I am the thing.
: Everything's gonna be all right.
: I'm just glad that we managed to uncover unpleasant truths about ourselves without anybody getting badly hurt.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
: HOLD IT!!

: You shouldn't make that face, Masato. It gives the wrong impression.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

In the Rahxephon anime we see a Mulian connected to some kind of control device die after Ayato defeats a MU, so when Hiroko starts to lose it you already know how this is going to end and that makes the scene even more cruel.

Many episodes of Rahxephon feel like a retread of Eva's, but this is the one where I'd say they actually did it better. It is pretty much the best episode in all of Rahxephon.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

GimmickMan posted:

In the Rahxephon anime we see a Mulian connected to some kind of control device die after Ayato defeats a MU, so when Hiroko starts to lose it you already know how this is going to end and that makes the scene even more cruel.

Many episodes of Rahxephon feel like a retread of Eva's, but this is the one where I'd say they actually did it better. It is pretty much the best episode in all of Rahxephon.
I wouldn't say it's better than the similar Eva episode (They're about equal to me, independent of the surrounding context), but it's certainly the best RahXephon episode and The Second Sorrow in particular is one of the most memorable pieces of music in a show with an already really loving good OST. I'm also like 95% certain Rebuild of Eva references this RahXephon episode, which is amusing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
I'm also partial to the episode that gives us a look at the past of a certain three characters. Kind of wondering how they ported that to MX, assuming they chose to do so.

And yeah, we're headed into the back third of both Evangelion and RahXephon now, episode-count wise. Although I expect we'll need to wrap up most of not all the other dangling plotlines first before we get much further into those two's stories.

• Locked thread