Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

The Locator posted:

What was the final casualty count of that mess?

based on the looks of some of those cars: 45.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sigma posted:

It's amazing there weren't more deaths

It really is. I have to think that some of those cars were evacuated prior to being crushed, although 2 dead and 7 still in the hospital (2 critical still) is still pretty bad, and cars do a ridiculously good job of protecting the occupants these days.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Some old guy was signaling to turn into my lane, so I slowed a tiny bit to make sure he had space. He waited a moment to see if I would punch it to block the merge he wanted, as is common around here, so I gave him a quick flash. He zipped right in, no muss, no fuss, no dicking around. I wish I shared the road with more people willing to commit so quickly and decisively. Can't count the number of times people have just slowed down more and more and more waiting for a chance to move over.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

sleepy.eyes posted:

Some old guy was signaling to turn into my lane, so I slowed a tiny bit to make sure he had space. He waited a moment to see if I would punch it to block the merge he wanted, as is common around here, so I gave him a quick flash. He zipped right in, no muss, no fuss, no dicking around. I wish I shared the road with more people willing to commit so quickly and decisively. Can't count the number of times people have just slowed down more and more and more waiting for a chance to move over.

gently caress's sake, how many times a day do I yell through my windshield about having to send a certified mail invitation to get some fuckface to merge. Every good deed.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
When a truck is signaling to merge into my lane in front of me, so I flash my brights, then the trucker merges in and flashes their hazards, it makes my day every single time.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

nm posted:

Drug house. No one else is watching that cameea that close (and they weren't that close to the fence.)

I thought you were almost certainly right but I found the same video on youtube on what appears to be the filmer's account, and he's got a ton of other videos of people stealing his packages and poo poo. And lots of wrecks and police chases. So I bet he's just a regular guy stuck living in a lovely neighborhood who has a million security cameras to make his inevitable insurance claims easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iixaAGkmZZo

Lots of people we share the road with in this one, that 25mph corner seems to claim a lot of :2f2f: drivers.

e: video description:

quote:

A video montage of my neighborhood. I grew up here as a kid (2-18) and was lucky enough to buy my childhood house back as a foreclosure when I was 24. I lived in my garage for almost a year as my family and friends helped me fixed it up. Now the neighborhood is getting almost too rough to continue staying here.

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 19, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Forgive me AI, for I have sinned. I did a half rear end job of clearing my car off and chunks of snow kept on flying off.

Kept tailgaters away though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's a bummer, based on the view of his cameras there's some really cool mid-century houses in there. I love old construction so much more than modern mcmansions. :smith:

(after tens of thousands of dollars refurbishing the interior to modern fire, plumbing, and wiring code)

xzzy fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 19, 2016

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

kastein posted:

doublepostin'

Friday night some loving nimrod in a white E250 van blew a stop sign at Hillcroft & King Phillip in worcester mass. I had no stop sign. He nailed my forester pretty good, even a hair more and it would have bent the A pillar enough to require pulling. As it is, a new door barely fit.

It's a 500 dollar car. I really really do not feel like shopping for a new beater, dealing with insurance, and bringing a new beater up to date on deferred maintenance in january. And they would total my turdbucket in a second if I put in a claim. So I was in the mood to be nice and not report it. He gave me 100 on the spot and said he'd cover any more I needed, I am hoping he is good for it because I don't feel like wrangling with insurance over this.

Anyways, here is my stupid pretzel of a car and the beginnings of the repairs. Thanks for blowing that stopsign idiot. https://imgur.com/gallery/krL7M

That area has some pretty gnarly hills. The Wilkinson St hill is a good test of how good your tires and traction are going up it unplowed. I went up it once unplowed with like 7 inches of snow and my DTS made it with the wheel completed turned to left lock the entire time with winter tires spinning like crazy. My AWD CTS gets up it without breaking a sweat with winter tires.

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 20, 2016

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Pro of having a lowered car: easy to clear snow off the roof
Con of having a lowered car: harder to actually drive in the snow.

Yesterday I saw a guy who had overshot turning left into mcdonalds and ended wedged in a huge snowbank. Wish I had been able to take a picture.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just get an air dam shaped like a plow, added bonus is you can drive around with a crest arcing off the front of your car.

Surprised kids in the great white north don't do this already.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Only problem with plowing as you drive is it can slow you down enough that your wheels will sink to below-progress depth.

Source: Spokane, 18 Dec 2008 - 2003 AWD Astrovan vs like 17 inches of snow in the past 24 hours. Made it 16.5 miles from home to work, found out I was one of three people to show up, made it all the way back home... and since the city had plowed the thoroughfare into the side street leading to my apartment parking, I bogged less than half a block from being able to go inside.

Tl;dr - gently caress WINTER

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Only problem with plowing as you drive is it can slow you down enough that your wheels will sink to below-progress depth.

Source: Spokane, 18 Dec 2008 - 2003 AWD Astrovan vs like 17 inches of snow in the past 24 hours. Made it 16.5 miles from home to work, found out I was one of three people to show up, made it all the way back home... and since the city had plowed the thoroughfare into the side street leading to my apartment parking, I bogged less than half a block from being able to go inside.

Tl;dr - gently caress WINTER

I'm pretty sure your troubles are more related to living in Spokane than it being winter. (Tri-Cities goon here) We're finally melting out which is great because people are not good at planning ahead more than 25 ft at a time.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, I have found something that works with tailgaters: Waving at them. Sort of a "Hey, I know you're there, but could you please back off? Thanks" message. Usually works.

If it doesn't they get the universal symbol for back off. That hasn't failed yet.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

KennyLoggins posted:

That area has some pretty gnarly hills. The Wilkinson St hill is a good test of how good your tires and traction are going up it unplowed. I went up it once unplowed with like 7 inches of snow and my DTS made it with the wheel completed turned to left lock the entire time with winter tires spinning like crazy. My AWD CTS gets up it without breaking a sweat with winter tires.

Yeah, it really is. I used to live over in Lincoln Village and went to the Worcester HD all the time, so I drove through there a lot. Now my wife works over on Northeast Cutoff so we ended up going through there to avoid traffic and instead got whacked by that dumbass. Wish I had the dashcam installed for it, but I was a lazy rear end in a top hat and it's been sitting on the back seat for months.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIh15Ptymyg&t=10s

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

iospace posted:

Also, I have found something that works with tailgaters: Waving at them. Sort of a "Hey, I know you're there, but could you please back off? Thanks" message. Usually works.

Are you holding a gun in your hand as you wave?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

spog posted:

Are you holding a gun in your hand as you wave?

Nope. Somehow still works.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Turning right into the below-ground parking garage after work last night, a circa-30s chick on a cargo bike with zero lights on wants to enter the same parking garage. Her preferred mode of turning left was to verge across the street, ride a bit on the wrong side, and then sorta be perplexed a bit about who of us is supposed to yield. Side note: we have roughly seven hours of daylight this time of year, and they were very much used up. It was dark.

I roll down my window, as we get down the ramp:

:) "May I suggest a pair of bike lights?" (They're mandatory, $150 fine if you don't have them.)
:downs: "Couldn't you see me?"
:) "Not really."
:downs: "It's my boyfriend's bike. I don't use it very often. Maybe I should get him a set for Christmas..."
:) SMH...

Biking is cool and good but god damnit do I wish some cyclists took a stint behind the wheel of something with huge blind spots and poor brakes. Preferably while I am out of town tho.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

She (her boyfriend, I guess) should absolutely have the lights but it sounds like she was pleasant enough about it. In the first paragraph I got to the word "bike" and began expecting the worst.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Well, yeah, she was pleasant enough, but here it's basically drilled into your head from age five that you need lights on your bike... and they're like five bucks for a set at the supermarket.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I had a similar run in with a cyclist wearing all black, no lights/reflectors on the bike at all, sitting in the shadows between the right lane and little right turn lane at a light. Would have run him over(granted I was going to straddle both the right/right turn lanes, but it was late on an empty road), but saw him at the last second and avoided him. Already had my window down and said "Hey man, you should really get some lights or something, I just about ran you over since you were almost invisible." He just started yelling back at me "gently caress you, I don't need any loving lights." followed by a bunch of random expletives, so I just made my right turn and drove away.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, I see people with no lights riding at night on the cycle tracks here all the time. I don't understand it, it's like people have no regard for their own personal safety. Surely it'd be a gently caress sight easier to cycle in the dark if you had a light, too.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I see (barely) people like that around my area at dusk/dawn a lot. But I get the added bonus of them meandering across 4 lane streets at random. If you're gonna jump across the street, why can't you do it as quick as possible?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Perhaps if the official response to them getting hit was nothing more than "well, I'll get the shovel, make sure their estate pays for the property damage involved", it might have some effect on attitude.

If you wander around the roads unlit at night - on foot, on a bike, or in a car - the inevitable result of this is entirely your own drat fault.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Oh god. Pedestrians in dark clothes casually jaunting across an arterial mid-block, at night, on packed snow has been a theme the last few days in Portland. I'm surprised nobody's gotten splattered.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The other day I saw a pedestrian crossing the street having entered it on the flashing hand, and then he proceeded to get pissed off when one of the turning cars honked at him.

It was during rush hour, and there are a lot of cars turning left there. There's a reason why the pedestrian signal is red when the light is green, so how 'bout you just don't be a prick? Since it's right outside my apartment building, I myself have waited dutifully in accordance with the law many times on that corner -- it's not difficult, and it's not even a particularly long light cycle.

Some people are just asking to get hit.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

PT6A posted:

The other day I saw a pedestrian crossing the street having entered it on the flashing hand, and then he proceeded to get pissed off when one of the turning cars honked at him.

It was during rush hour, and there are a lot of cars turning left there. There's a reason why the pedestrian signal is red when the light is green, so how 'bout you just don't be a prick? Since it's right outside my apartment building, I myself have waited dutifully in accordance with the law many times on that corner -- it's not difficult, and it's not even a particularly long light cycle.

Some people are just asking to get hit.

Wouldn't that be the same as entering an intersection on yellow?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sleepy.eyes posted:

Yes but cars running yellows is okay because reasons. The most important car is the one I'm in, everything else is an unfair obstruction.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The hand is timed the slowest of citizens, at least where I live. At normal walking pace, you have quite a bit of leeway before inconveniencing anyone (except right‐on‐red traffic, but they’re inconvenienced regardless).

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

xzzy posted:

Just get an air dam shaped like a plow, added bonus is you can drive around with a crest arcing off the front of your car.

Surprised kids in the great white north don't do this already.

I'm surprised there aren't more Mad Max car builds that include a functional plow up north. Or anywhere, really, I'm sure it's a good deterrent to being cut off.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

sleepy.eyes posted:

It's unclear as described if the person completed the crossing while it was still flashing.

Just like with the yellow, regardless of what the law says if you enter the intersection knowing you won't clear it before it's someone else's turn you're a dick. If they got across in time though, all is well in my book and the honking driver needs to get over it.

I've seen some shitheads run to enter the crosswalk with only a few seconds left on the counter, then dawdle across the street giving no fucks. Those people I wouldn't feel sorry for if they got hit.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sleepy.eyes posted:

I suppose, but given that pedestrians don't require the same stopping distance as a car, I don't think it's reasonable to compare the situations. The flashing hand gives you time to clear the intersection if you're already in it, not to start crossing. It's rude to impede traffic when you should know better. I don't have a problem with anyone jaywalking provided they do so safely and with due consideration for traffic following the law.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PT6A posted:

I suppose, but given that pedestrians don't require the same stopping distance as a car, I don't think it's reasonable to compare the situations. The flashing hand gives you time to clear the intersection if you're already in it, not to start crossing. It's rude to impede traffic when you should know better. I don't have a problem with anyone jaywalking provided they do so safely and with due consideration for traffic following the law.

Well, except they give you a 28-second flashing countdown for a road that takes 10 seconds to cross at a normal rate. I've got no problems with entering the crosswalk when it's already flashing, if I know I can get across before it's done. It's simply not true that it only gives you the barest of time to finish crossing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Raluek posted:

Well, except they give you a 28-second flashing countdown for a road that takes 10 seconds to cross at a normal rate. I've got no problems with entering the crosswalk when it's already flashing, if I know I can get across before it's done. It's simply not true that it only gives you the barest of time to finish crossing.

That's to allow people who walk slowly to finish crossing, not to let you start crossing late and gently caress up the dynamics for turning traffic. The intersection I'm talking about would certainly have an advance turn signal if vehicle traffic were as heavy as pedestrian traffic, but it's not even close. Therefore, there's a period of time when the pedestrian signal goes red or flashing while the traffic light is still green, to allow the line of cars to turn without worrying about pedestrians in the crosswalk. The fact that you can make it across doesn't mean that you should. All users of the road: drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians alike, should try to be considerate and not gently caress up traffic by breaking the law even when "it's totally safe and I can get away with it no problem."

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
There is no functional difference between a slow moving person halfway across the lane and a fast-moving person just entering the lane, except that the fast moving person will probably be out of the way sooner.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Raluek posted:

There is no functional difference between a slow moving person halfway across the lane and a fast-moving person just entering the lane, except that the fast moving person will probably be out of the way sooner.

Indeed, and if there were a slow moving person already in the crosswalk who had entered when legally permitted to do so, that would be a case where I'd have no problem with someone dashing across on the flashing hand. Otherwise, you're still impeding traffic as you violate the rules, which I think is bad.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Seems relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLbsVDf6Qj0

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I am fine with pedestrians entering during the flashing hand. During rush hour there would be thousands of people standing on street corners here in Chicago if they did not do so.

When the hand turns solid red, I start pushing through slowly with my car and doing some light honking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Michael Scott posted:

I start pushing through slowly with my car and doing some light honking.

Any way to thread title this?