Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Also absent from letter, anything about CIG moving.

e: 'scuse me RSI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

im the money spent to essentially buy crytek's employee base, which will now not be needed

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Holy poo poo I got out at the perfect time.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

gotta hand it to them though, push broken rear end 2.6 to live then sliiiiiide the engine change news in under that

very sly

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Wait.. am I reading this right? They really switched engines

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

They dumped this news on the Friday before Christmas. What better time to try to dump out information you don't want to deal with?

quote:

the technology switch was a ‘like-for-like’ change, which is now complete.

Years spent modifying Cry Engine to their custom needs, but the switch to Lumberyard is already complete.

I thought the Christmas holiday would bring strange news about SC, but this is just absolutely stunning beyond anything I could've imagined.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This.... this is GOOD for Star Citizen.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

How many millions did they waste on CryEngine.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

loving lmao.

"Oh by the way, now that we are done with our big holiday sales and nobody will be around to deal with all your bitching, we uh... we switched engines and never told you about it until now." - the most open video games developer in history

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

This.... this is GOOD for Star Citizen.

It actually might.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Guys, guys, it's just a cryengine to cryengine swap. All they probably had to do was a search > replace to change some version numbers in some headers

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Has anybody said Star Citizen Forever yet?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Holy poo poo I got out at the perfect time.

Maybe this was why Derek was saying to get out right now.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

XK posted:

:smug:

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Buy back in Beer.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
So does the "Lumberyard" splash only appear for Star Marine? The separate new FPS?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

The future of Star Citizen looks bright.

Gravity_Storm posted:

Buy back in Beer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Gravity_Storm posted:

Buy back in Beer.

Sars has been posting lately ....

XK
Jul 9, 2001

That this was dropped in the last hours of the evening on the Friday before Christmas is all you need to know to understand that this is extremely bad news.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Let's buy some missiles and rockets for some fireworks for the engine switch celebration

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/faq/

The FAQ posted:

Lumberyard is free, including source. We make money when you use other AWS services. We built Lumberyard to make it faster and easier to build fantastic live, multiplayer, community-driven games – which naturally connect to the cloud to provide these features to players. However, there is no requirement to connect your game to the cloud. There are also no seat fees, subscription fees, or requirements to share revenue. You pay only for the infrastructure resources you choose to use.

Calling it now, they were able to integrate because the front end visual stuff hadn't really changed much at all. They switched because the new engine was basically the same code but also free from licensing fees, and Chris thinks the scaling amazon services he'll have access to on the back end are the silver bullet that will end all of his networking issues (they aren't).

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Wanna bet Amazon gave them a huge loan, and exchange forced them to use lumberjack?
Basically that means CIG is bought by a publisher LOL

Lumberyard has VR support, replaced crynetwork (!), Xbox One/PS4 support (lol), a 'better' cloud architecture, and will likely get Vulkan support. Also the engine is a newer branch of CryEngine that is actively being developed and improved upon. Both CIG and Amazon can spin this as a big win, and I wouldn't be shocked if CIG got a deal on the AWS side of things. But in reality CIG need's all the help it can get and Amazon is desperate to get people using their engine. This is a big technical bailout, but it is still a far cry from everything that's been promised.

Can't wait for Citizen's to start spinning this as the only possible thing CIG could have done, and that the game couldn't have been made if the switch didn't happen. Implying that backers were being strung along by promises that couldn't be kept until this 'opportunity' surfaced six months ago.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

XK posted:

lol, it is now

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Engine Change is peak development hell

Merry Chrismas

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

grimcreaper posted:

Wait.. am I reading this right? They really switched engines

It's from CryEngine to CryEngine, but it still would have involved quite a bit of work. This bit of semantics will keep the backer's heads from exploding.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 24, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I gotta admit, its kinda odd none our insiders saw this coming.
Not even a hint.

I'm not an insider but I've mentioned several times that an engine change will buy them more time and their pattern of behaviour has always been to play for more time. They had a good 18 months out of telling people to wait "2 weeks" and got another 6 months out of "Soon (tm)".

Feb 14, 2016

AP posted:

If as we believe with good reason he can't get even close to Star Citizen with CryEngine, I wonder if he'll play for more time and go for an engine change. If they manage to limp along until SQ42 is released and it's crap, I can see him saying "well the engine didn't work out but we have all these finished assets we can port over" as that would be more tempting than admitting defeat, defeat would kinda make selling more crap a lot harder.

A fair few Citizens will think, hey it's only another four two years and keeping the dream alive when you've spent $5k like Karl might be the best outcome they see, the alternative is admitting you are an idiot and that horrible Derek fella was right.

Mar 28, 2016

AP posted:

Switching engine would easily buy them another 18 months I think.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Maybe they could actually make a good game now :shrug:

If only they could backseat CRoberts

XK
Jul 9, 2001

They've provably ported to 64 bit. They're clearly making progress. All the haters said it was impossible, but they did it. It's an entire custom engine.

*changes to Amazon engine port*

"..."

I really, really, can't wait to see the response to this.

Start up the comment mining screenshots, please.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Tokamak posted:

Lumberyard has VR support, replaced crynetwork (!), Xbox One/PS4 support (lol), a 'better' cloud architecture, and will likely get Vulkan support. Also the engine is a newer branch of CryEngine that is actively being developed and improved upon. Both CIG and Amazon can spin this as a big win, and I wouldn't be shocked if CIG got a deal on the AWS side of things. But in reality CIG need's all the help it can get and Amazon is desperate to get people using their engine. This is a big technical bailout, but it is still a far cry from everything that's been promised.

Can't wait for Citizen's to start spinning this as the only possible thing CIG could have done, and that the game couldn't have been made if the switch didn't happen. Implying that backers were being strung along by promises that couldn't be kept until this 'opportunity' surfaced six months ago.

Still wondering what happens to the guys in Frankfurt.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Citizens have been bragging about StarEngine, and how CIG would make a fortune liscensing it to other devs. Now this. loving LOL.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Tokamak posted:

It's from CryEngine to CryEngine, but it still would have involved quite a bit of work.

Which is why it happened with no delays, unless you count all the delays that happened this year.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tokamak posted:

2.6 to Live
WOW, Who could have possibly seen this coming?

I just knew they could pull this off for the weekend. Robert's project management skills FTW.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

starkebn posted:

Guys, guys, it's just a cryengine to cryengine swap. All they probably had to do was a search > replace to change some version numbers in some headers

Actually, all they have to do is layer some code on top and edit configpgabs.CFG.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Gravity_Storm posted:

Ahahaha and the circle is complete. New engine. Welcome to the Daikatana / DNF club.
Remember with Daikatana they "upgraded" from Quake 1 to Quake 2 expecting it to simply be an optimized engine, but found out it was a completely different beast and lost a year or so having to rework all of the assets to get it running.

And from what I can read Lumberyard is Cryengine 3.8 without a few additional things like Scaleform. SC is using Cryengine 3 so it's trivial to simply open up a map and spit out some pretty pictures.

However any source alterations will have to be redone. And given the engine is pretty much the same as it was it hasn't actually solved any deeper issues beyond potentially cutting down on running server costs. It's like replacing a defective car with one that's exactly the same, but with the hopes that the issues only occur less.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
To be fair it was indeed Derek several months ago who called that CIG will get stuck and finally have to rebuild/redesign or switch engines some day to even allow realizing the tech they need.
So Beer4TheBeerGods "it might actually help them" comment should be considered.

The engine switch is a testament of "we reached the end of our former Proof of Concept"

The problem is, is a release earlier than 2020 based on all 4.x features and several valid implemented stretchgoals even possible?

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

D_Smart in April posted:

I can't wait to read the part where they decide to either port to Unity5 or to Lumberyard, Amazon's version of CryEngine4. Not to mention CryEngine5 which is more advanced/modern than CryEngine4.

Someone change :lol: to read "ELE."

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

sorla78 posted:

Still wondering what happens to the guys in Frankfurt.

Still working on all the other pie in the sky promises Chris has made. This move gets them things like VR and console support, stuff that might have otherwise been in the 'too hard' basket. They still got work to do on networking, ai, animation system, physics grids, etc.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
I see a Citizen somewhere in 2017 typing the words "Development didn't really start until December 2016".

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Isn't that a literal scummy used car sales tactic ?

Distract giving bad news by loading the good news on top , and right before a holiday so the office will be closed the next day

'Hey uh look at that leather isn't it nice and supple, you're going to love this car. Just be careful in 3rd gear it gets a bit sticky. You know how sports cars are.... Hey this car. Is. You ! Looking good *cough* ok good luck bud see ya *locks the door behind you*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

AP posted:

I see a Citizen somewhere in 2017 typing the words "Development didn't really start until December 2016".

This is 100% going to happen and it is going to be 200% hilarious.