Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's his right as a human being to be grumpy, and practically his responsibility as an adolescent to be frustrated and confused about his changing social world and his own ineptitude to adapt to it, as well as certain...things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's his right as a human being to be grumpy, and practically his responsibility as an adolescent to be frustrated and confused about his changing social world and his own ineptitude to adapt to it, as well as certain...things.

Lars' changing junk is best left unexplored by this or any medium

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
the green dorito is a good addition to the cast

seemed like she could be a cool menacing villain in her first appearance but I like what we got too

also Amethyst won't just silently get over the stuff she learned about who she's supposed to be

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I like that there are rare flashes of danger from Peridot, like the time she rekt everyone with a giant robot or the attack drones she just happened to have when that dude came by.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I have a feeling Peridot's seeming scientific curiosity would have landed her in trouble with the Diamond Authority eventually. Something that was covered up by the Authority due to a relation to the rebellion that Peridot, not knowing it was tried before, pursues in hopes of getting praise from her Diamond for the "new" discovery.

Me, regarding Peridot:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I'd still love to see what would have happened if Peridot actually did try and mess up the CGs actively. Her whole thing was trying to do her goddamn job initially than and after getting her ride blown up thanks to unforeseen circumstances being piss scared and trying to get off an alien planet which to her knowledge was going to blow the gently caress up any minute, this pretty much shaped her priorities, anything she did to hinder / trap / damage the CGs was mostly secondary to 'get the gently caress outta here'. If Jasper had actually done her loving job and lead the mission instead of fusing with lapis and loving off to the bottom of the ocean I'm pretty sure her and pdot would've beat up all the CGs handily no problem and been back home before you could sing a song about it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
A culture that's spent millennia in a strict hierarchical framework where class interaction (much less movement) is explicitly discouraged and brutally punished tends to be rather bereft of critical thinking and out-of-role ambition.

Pretty sure there was a Discworld quote about it

e: here 'tis

Interesting Times posted:

“The Empire's got something worse than whips all right. It's got obedience. Whips in the soul. They obey anyone who tells them what to do. Freedom just means being told what to do by someone different.”

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 25, 2016

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

WarpedNaba posted:

A culture that's spent millennia in a strict hierarchical framework where class interaction (much less movement) is explicitly discouraged and brutally punished tends to be rather bereft of critical thinking and out-of-role ambition.

Pretty sure there was a Discworld quote about it

e: here 'tis

Well yeah but think about it like this, if Jasper had stuck to her role (Not fusing with gems outside of type / engaging in a one on one slugfest for pride reasons) than their discipline and straight up superiority in most circumstances would have triumphed over the hippie remnants of a failed, leaderless rebellion.

I'm just saying it kinda feels like a failing of the plot that the good guys triumphed over the forces of evil because the forces of evil... tried to copy their tactics for no reason, even though said tactics are seen as gross heresy? I mean I get why Jasper thought it might help but she could just as easily grabbed a gem destabilizer and destabilized the poo poo out of the CGs like the first time. Jasper would have had no trouble defeating amethyst and pearl single handedly and no doubt with Peridots backup... just regular, no fusing, probably could top garnet as well. Steven would be no challenge beyond that.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Homeworld assumes all its soldiers are single function drones with no individual personalities. It bit them in the rear end with both Jasper and Peridot, just in different ways.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Motherfucker posted:

I'm just saying it kinda feels like a failing of the plot that the good guys triumphed over the forces of evil because the forces of evil... tried to copy their tactics for no reason, even though said tactics are seen as gross heresy? I mean I get why Jasper thought it might help but she could just as easily grabbed a gem destabilizer and destabilized the poo poo out of the CGs like the first time. Jasper would have had no trouble defeating amethyst and pearl single handedly and no doubt with Peridots backup... just regular, no fusing, probably could top garnet as well. Steven would be no challenge beyond that.

You might be misremembering, Jasper tried to take out Garnet with her destabiliser on the ship when they faced off and Garnet disarmed her and snapped it in two.

Down on the ground 1v3 she wouldn't have stood a chance without the ship or destabiliser, especially if the CGs fused.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 25, 2016

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Motherfucker posted:

Well yeah but think about it like this, if Jasper had stuck to her role (Not fusing with gems outside of type / engaging in a one on one slugfest for pride reasons) than their discipline and straight up superiority in most circumstances would have triumphed over the hippie remnants of a failed, leaderless rebellion.

not really. Jasper was a fish out of water after the ship crashed and I think all the destabilizers were destroyed during that. No tech, no back up, on the home turf of your enemies, one of which has future vision and can pretty much see you coming? it looks bleak for a bunch of stranded Homeworld Gems whos only back up plan is "call homeworld for backup."

If you want Eternal war try Warhammer 40k. This show is about love.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Jasper wanted to fuse because otherwise she was going to have to fight Garnet who just got done proving she was a major threat and the rest of the gems simultaneously. And judging from how Smokey Quartz completely handed her her rear end while basically clowning around and taking nothing seriously, her vs Opal or Sardonyx or Sugilite would have gone miserably badly for her.

She didn't choose to adopt the CG's methods for no reason, she chose it because Garnet just got done using those methods to kick her rear end and she was out of options.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Hihohe posted:

If you want Eternal war try Warhammer 40k. This show is about love.

I just wanna watch dragon ball z with women

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Motherfucker posted:

I just wanna watch dragon ball z with women

It exists and it's called Sailor Moon

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Who What Now posted:

It exists and it's called Sailor Moon

I thought it was Inuyasha that was DBZ for girls?

or is dbz sailor moon for boys

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Slime posted:

I thought it was Inuyasha that was DBZ for girls?

or is dbz sailor moon for boys

He said with women, not for women. Besides, Sailor Moon is for everybody.

Inuyasha is for the garbage can.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Homeworld assumes all its soldiers are single function drones with no individual personalities. It bit them in the rear end with both Jasper and Peridot, just in different ways.

It's this.

At first I thought the CGs were going to be portrayed as unique and individualistic compared to Homeworld, but all of the homeworld gems we've seen are just as chaotic. The rubies are all over the place, jasper is a proud hypocrite, peridot only needed a tiny push to declare herself LEADER OF THE CRYSTAL GEMS, etc. The culmination of Peridot's arc came when she realized that YD wasn't as perfect as she looked. Homeworld's society clearly thrives on a whooooooole lotta repression.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Hihohe posted:

If you want Eternal war try Warhammer 40k

Now I want a fake - out episode titled "Eternal War" where Connie gets way too into not-warhams and Steven doesn't want to admit he only likes the Tau.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Eela6 posted:

Now I want a fake - out episode titled "Eternal War" where Connie gets way too into not-warhams and Steven doesn't want to admit he only likes the Tau.

You just know Connie plays not-Eldar.

Just like Ronaldo has a ton of not-imperials. And probably all of Lars' old chaos marines because he thought they were cool then.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Eela6 posted:

He plays the Tau, but only a bunch of drones and water caste diplomats. He pretends his other toys are alien envoys who want to join the Tau Empire.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I suspect Steven would be more into Kingdom Hearts than Warhammer anyway.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

WarpedNaba posted:

Exactly. That's where the tension in the episode comes from! You can teach the lesson that it's OK if your friends don't like your niche interests, and trying to shove them down their throat often does more harm than good. Which is a lesson the kids and adults in Steven Universe fanbase could use.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Then again, if a person has only niche interests and some disdain for common interests (Not so much in the hipster manner, more a friendless background they got used to) the only other option would seem to be to remain lonely forever.

Trying to get someone to share a hobby that only you seem to have does have that side of sympathy to it.

Hatrocious
Jan 1, 2013

Eela6 posted:

Exactly. That's where the tension in the episode comes from! You can teach the lesson that it's OK if your friends don't like your niche interests, and trying to shove them down their throat often does more harm than good. Which is a lesson the kids and adults in Steven Universe fanbase could use.

They had that message in the one where Steven and Connie were in Rose's holodeck room

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Eela6 posted:

Actually the lesson in that episode will be Do Not Give Games Workshop Money.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Steven would play the Sisters Hospitalr because he read about the Tau's horrific eugenics practices concerning their vassal races.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Jeeze, it's like y'all haven't spent multiple decades memorizing the current cannon and meta of 40k.

GOD

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Who What Now posted:

Jeeze, it's like y'all haven't spent multiple decades memorizing the current cannon and meta of 40k.

GOD

I hope someday Peridot makes a vehicle then paints it red so it goes faster.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I probably should have posted this yesterday, but I didn't:

Happy (belated) Christmas everyone.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Almost all I know about Warhammer comes from Dawn of War and Caiphas Cain. Both have very good writing.

Except for certain bits. We all know what they are.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

My gf got me a copy of The Answer for xmas so that was p sweet. Its a lovely little book

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

My gf got me a copy of The Answer for xmas so that was p sweet. Its a lovely little book

Just ordered a copy for my girlfriend's upcoming birthday in January! (as well as a Mini Mate Lion figure) It's her favorite episode so I think she's gonna be pretty happy.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

WarpedNaba posted:

Almost all I know about Warhammer comes from Dawn of War and Caiphas Cain. Both have very good writing.

Except for certain bits. We all know what they are.

We all know who Onion Kid would play as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbmDLVFAaec

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

WarpedNaba posted:

If anyone could make sense of Kingdom Heart's story, it's Steven.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Is it intentional that steven universe and the jon arbuckle's grandma from the christmas special wear the exact same outfit?

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is it intentional that steven universe and the jon arbuckle's grandma from the christmas special wear the exact same outfit?

Holy poo poo.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Flobbster posted:

Holy poo poo.

Same hair, even!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hahaha oh my god.

Elbowing him in the gut was like the formative gag that introduced kid me to how cartoons could have actual humor instead of just that fake 70s Hanna-Barbera "humor" that felt like I was supposed to laugh at it because of the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Who What Now posted:

Steven would play the Sisters Hospitalr because he read about the Tau's horrific eugenics practices concerning their vassal races.

Oh dear did someone decide the Tau weren't grimdark enough for this universe and needed a good bit of evil injected.