Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah alt-placement of weapons is mentioned once in the tutorial (in a room you can actually completely skip going into), and they really don't do a good job of explaining why it's useful. Another thing it's good for is that sometimes just dropping stuff makes noise, but placing things is silent (you can also use it to plant mines but I think they do tell you that in a different spot).

Something the game needs is a little demonstration/tutorial thing for all the various devices you can unlock. It's not really clear how useful the breaching charges are when you first get them, since it doesn't tell you anything about how they can be used to bust open locks (which you probably could guess by the name but still), or trigger any kind of environmental destruction like dropping chandeliers, and how they are also much quieter than remote mines.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

BBJoey posted:

you can drop things in the weapon boxes, hold alt

:aaaaa:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

alt-placement of weapons is mentioned once in the tutorial (in a room you can actually completely skip going into)

Yeah, that must have been me. drat, that would have been super useful to know like a hundred hours ago...

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Yeah, placing an item is really handy. I mostly use it to hide weapons that are left over from KO'ing security forces. If you place a rifle or other suspicious item on top of a body dump box and then dump a body in it, the opening of the lid will conveniently slide the object behind it. This trick also works if you need to get an object over a railing, such as to hide a gun in the Paris river or in a Marrakesh well.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

I'm cleaning up any challenges that I had left undone. I just did Wickerman in Colorado, it is one of the best things ever.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

so i hadnt yet done SASO in paris. someone suggested the balcony push method. i tried that out and ended up finishing the mission in 5:20, which is like 500th place on the global leaderboards on ps4. i went back and did it a quicker way and got 72nd place. so whomever suggested that, thanks.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

ixnay posted:

Giant Bomb put up a video where they draw costumes/weapons out of hats and use those as conditions for killing each of the Paris targets.

Vinny's playthrough has some great moments in it, I lost it at the first attempt at a throwing knife kill

https://twitter.com/nateandrews0/status/813934531371794432

Now you too can play Mexico Rules.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

oh hell yes, this will double my playtime.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Giant Bomb also named Helmut Kruger as the best new character of the year (runners-up, DOOM's Samuel Hayden and Trico from The Last Guardian).

“I look forward to throwing Helmut Kruger in the river for many years to come.”
   — Jeff Gerstmann.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

But I normally play Chicago rules

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I picked this up from the Playstation Store sale since Blood Money was fun.

I've only played through Prologue, Paris, Sapienza and the 3rd stage of the Einarsson Inception escalation but am I right in thinking that once you hit Hunted/Combat it's game over/savescum? A beginner tip in deus ex/dishonored/MGS is to just roll with it since you can escape and get back into stealth mode but for this it seems once 47 screws up the entire map is after him and he doesn't have as many tools/magic to fix it

Also why would you ever use a full-auto weapon unless it's for a challenge/boredom

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 28, 2016

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Lakbay posted:

I've only played through Prologue, Paris, Sapienza and the 3rd stage of the Einarsson Inception escalation but am I right in thinking that once you hit Hunted/Combat it's game over/savescum? A beginner tip in deus ex/dishonored/MGS is to just roll with it since you can escape and get back into stealth mode but for this it seems once 47 screws up the entire map is after him and he doesn't have as many tools/magic to fix it.

You just need to find a different disguise.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Lakbay posted:

I've only played through Prologue, Paris, Sapienza and the 3rd stage of the Einarsson Inception escalation but am I right in thinking that once you hit Hunted/Combat it's game over/savescum? A beginner tip in deus ex/dishonored/MGS is to just roll with it since you can escape and get back into stealth mode but for this it seems once 47 screws up the entire map is after him and he doesn't have as many tools/magic to fix it

ixnay posted:

Giant Bomb put up a video where they draw costumes/weapons out of hats and use those as conditions for killing each of the Paris targets.

Vinny's playthrough has some great moments in it, I lost it at the first attempt at a throwing knife kill

e: Worth noting there are multiple points in that video where no one is suspicious of him after a costume change except for the people who can always see through that costume. Even when the targets are in lockdown and have the people around them who are orange in Hitman vision, those guards are not going to be suspicious unless they have the white dot above their heads. Semi-spoilers for the video: when he's the Sheik in the basement, he could walk right past the orange guy and grab the fire axe. That dude is in lockdown mode, but not suspicious of the Sheik, and the Sheik isn't trespassing there.

When there are multiple security forces (like the Security guys and CICAEDA in Paris) they don't communicate threats to each other. Even when they do, they are incredibly easy to fool with disguises.

Blowjob Overtime fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 28, 2016

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
The entire map is not after you. Information propagates through a level in a really clever and intelligent way and you can actually use this to your advantage for misdirection purposes.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Lakbay posted:

I picked this up from the Playstation Store sale since Blood Money was fun.

Also why would you ever use a full-auto weapon unless it's for a challenge/boredom

Distractions. If nobody sees you shooting the gun and you run somewhere else you can create a diversion to lure out guards from their typical hiding places. The rubber ducky works great and so do fire extinguishers.

Also if you get spotted, you can usually switch disguises or break line of sight and hide in a closet or body box really quickly. There have been so many times where I try to choke someone out only to have them get in a fistfight and alert nearby guards, usually you can knock them out and disguise before the others show up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blowjob Overtime posted:

e: Worth noting there are multiple points in that video where no one is suspicious of him after a costume change except for the people who can always see through that costume. Even when the targets are in lockdown and have the people around them who are orange in Hitman vision, those guards are not going to be suspicious unless they have the white dot above their heads. Semi-spoilers for the video: when he's the Sheik in the basement, he could walk right past the orange guy and grab the fire axe. That dude is in lockdown mode, but not suspicious of the Sheik, and the Sheik isn't trespassing there.

When there are multiple security forces (like the Security guys and CICAEDA in Paris) they don't communicate threats to each other. Even when they do, they are incredibly easy to fool with disguises.

The funny thing is they could have totally finished things with the fire axe if they had been more foolhardy.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

God, I just spent forever retrying the Holiday Hoarders challenge because I didn't realize there were two busts in the attic

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I don't know what it is but I absolutely hate the Colorado level, it might be the fact there's too many targets or the forced shelter exit but I can't bring myself to get my 20/20 mastery on it

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys were right about Terminal Velocity working for SOSA, you just have to time the push with the guard facing away.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Manwithastick posted:

I don't know what it is but I absolutely hate the Colorado level, it might be the fact there's too many targets or the forced shelter exit but I can't bring myself to get my 20/20 mastery on it

Yeah I had to power through it because the semi-auto suppressed assault rifle is pretty OP when doing a shits-n-giggles kill everyone in CO run after you unlock it.

Does anyone know what the proximity bomb that looks like a brick of C4 is used for? Seems pointless when you unlock the proximity duck in one of the first missions.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I think a small problem I have with this game, be it the game's or my own fault, is that I don't try enough things for the following reasons

- In any sane world I would be noticed/guards would notice that their buddy/client has been in the bathroom for 20 minutes and would check on them/etc, so why even try luring them one at a time with coins and hiding them in a box?
- Saving and reloading when I do try things and having them fail is a pain, especially if I forget to save and the last auto is like 10 minutes old :(

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Any tips on getting the radio message on the second prologue mission, so I can make the Grandmaster eject himself? I guess that's what I need to set it up. I think I have a vague idea but can't do/find it. Not looking for a full spoiler on how to, though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ciaphas posted:

- In any sane world I would be noticed/guards would notice that their buddy/client has been in the bathroom for 20 minutes and would check on them/etc, so why even try luring them one at a time with coins and hiding them in a box?
You mean 15 minutes after you left the premises?

Really though, it's because IO interactive is a Danish studio. We're simply far too reserved to even consider asking whether someone is alright before they've been stuck in the bathroom for at least half an hour, so of course the designers and programmers aren't going to question it when designing the game. If the game had been made by Americans, I'm sure you'd have to make small talk with every NPC to avoid suspicion.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Mystic Stylez posted:

Any tips on getting the radio message on the second prologue mission, so I can make the Grandmaster eject himself? I guess that's what I need to set it up. I think I have a vague idea but can't do/find it. Not looking for a full spoiler on how to, though.

FYI The radio message is a different opportunity from the one you're trying.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mystic Stylez posted:

For the opportunity you're trying for, there's a couple of mechanics talking out front at the start of the map, you can eavesdrop on them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You mean 15 minutes after you left the premises?

Sure if you're good at video games unlike me :v: Seemed really odd that I could shoot Dahlia in her office as Helmut, leave, come back some 25 minutes later after setting things up to pull a Showstopper, walk back up and her guard is still just kinda standing there, clearly seeing Helmut come back and not saying a drat word about it.

I know I know, video games. Maybe it's a reflection of how seriously I take the game or something I dunno

Hadn't considered the Danish cultural angle though :v:

(ed) are we spoiler barring these things, I can't really tell

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Really though, it's because IO interactive is a Danish studio. We're simply far too reserved to even consider asking whether someone is alright before they've been stuck in the bathroom for at least half an hour, so of course the designers and programmers aren't going to question it when designing the game. If the game had been made by Americans, I'm sure you'd have to make small talk with every NPC to avoid suspicion.

Can confirm.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Dahlia will comment that something is amiss when her guards start disappearing. She doesn't get too concerned about it though.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

I've killed Dahlia before Novikov and heard him find out about her death, and it bummed me out. :(

It's funny, though, when you kill a target and hide their body, and their bodyguards wander the map looking for them.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 29, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Since I'm at work and can't try poo poo for myself I'll just ask: how much do the NPCs have Magic Powers sa far as pinning a crime on you? Take an example: say I choke out Helmut while he's out by the river between phone calls. There's nowhere to hide him without killing him, so I just leave the body where it is. Now say I've buggered off, done things as Helmut, and changed costumes, when suddenly a guard's patrol finds Helmut and wakes him up. What happens then? Can this even happen? Do I become Hunted right away, or what?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

If Helmut didn't See you and you pacified him quietly, he should just get woken up (this actually happens a lot if you don't dump him or drag him somewhere). The guards will go into Searching for a bit but other than that you should be fine. The Helmut disguise will probably get compromised but if you've switched then no one will be the wiser.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Hard to get past the ESRB with a super realistic ASSASSINATION SIMULATOR I would imagine.

I love how goofy the game is, makes me laugh out loud much more often than most games specifically for the dumb ai reactions and unrealistic events.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ciaphas posted:

Since I'm at work and can't try poo poo for myself I'll just ask: how much do the NPCs have Magic Powers sa far as pinning a crime on you? Take an example: say I choke out Helmut while he's out by the river between phone calls. There's nowhere to hide him without killing him, so I just leave the body where it is. Now say I've buggered off, done things as Helmut, and changed costumes, when suddenly a guard's patrol finds Helmut and wakes him up. What happens then? Can this even happen? Do I become Hunted right away, or what?

The two factors are if they saw you initiate the action, and what you're wearing when you do it. When someone gets woken up, they are first asked who did it. If they saw you initiate whatever action knocked them out, they'll say it's baldy mc bald, wearing whatever you were wearing. Then your outfit will be compromised (forever) and your state will be "hunted" (temporarily), and once you switch to another outfit both will go away. If the target didn't see you, they'll just go to "searching" (temporarily), no compromised or hunted.

There's a bit more minutiae if you switch to the outfit the person was wearing. If they didn't see you, the outfit you took from them will be compromised. If they did see you, both what you were wearing and what you switched into will be compromised. So if you switch into Helmut's outfit and then they wake him up, he'll be like "it was some bald dude dressed as a stylist! also oh poo poo im naked he's probably dressed as me!"

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 29, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So the Compromised state means "someone is looking out for a bald rear end in a top hat wearing what you're wearing right now", right? What's the difference between that state and Hunted (ed: and Searching, for that matter)?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ciaphas posted:

So the Compromised state means "someone is looking out for a bald rear end in a top hat wearing what you're wearing right now", right? What's the difference between that state and Hunted?

"Compromised" means the jig is up and they know it's you in whatever you're wearing at the moment, "Hunted" means they know that and they're currently searching for you. Eventually they'll stop hunting you and go back on their normal routes. If you get seen by the wrong people while Compromised, you'll go back to being Hunted until you lose them again. "Searching" means the same but on a shorter timer.

edit: And you can get Searching without being Compromised as well, if you're just being a sneaky rear end in a top hat. In that situation your outfit won't be Compromised but people will track you down to tell you to knock off whatever you're doing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So Hunted or Searching basically means I've taken the AI off script, as it were. Okay, that all clears up a lot.

One last question (and again this is probably me fighting ~assassin simulator realism~ here): does the Compromised state spread out at all from whoever spotted me, like a guard saying "there's a bald shithead running around as a maitre'd, shoot on sight" to his guard buddies; or does it stay on witnesses only?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

They definitely report it to other guards, you can see it in this Amazing Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o_m8Ul-M94

I'm not sure how the exact mechanics work though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ciaphas posted:

So Hunted or Searching basically means I've taken the AI off script, as it were. Okay, that all clears up a lot.

One last question (and again this is probably me fighting ~assassin simulator realism~ here): does the Compromised state spread out at all from whoever spotted me, like a guard saying "there's a bald shithead running around as a maitre'd, shoot on sight" to his guard buddies; or does it stay on witnesses only?

So, there's basically two states of Compromised:

1. Only the people who were told know about it. This includes people without radios like low level guards, randos who saw you do something, etc. They'll show up as orange with a dot over their head in your Hitman vision to differentiate them from people in the same "class" who don't know about you. Those who still don't know won't be orange or have the dot. Orange guys might be able to tell other people who can then tell everyone? I dunno, I haven't had it happen often enough.

2. Everybody knows about it. This is done when the person who reports it is a guard, or otherwise someone who can spread the news to everybody else. At that point there will be no orange dudes and they'll all just have the dot.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Chexoid posted:

FYI The radio message is a different opportunity from the one you're trying.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

For the opportunity you're trying for, there's a couple of mechanics talking out front at the start of the map, you can eavesdrop on them.

I did that, but I somehow didn't think that I had to put up a mechanic disguise and talk to the Grandmaster. I imagined he would head there himself when he heard the radio message. I'm avoiding reading the intel. Thanks!

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Of all the great things about this game, the thing I like the most is that the developers seem to have really picked up on what people didn't like about Absolution. Blood Money was brilliant because of its sandbox nature and HITMAN does the same thing incredibly well. I saw a bit on GiantBomb with two of the devs, and they mentioned Sapienza as their own favourite map too, because of how large and relatively open it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

How exactly do you achieve Silent Assassin? Because I just did a SA/SO run, I guess, but didn't get the challenge listed as done. Was it because I left the target's body out of a container (but it was never found before I finished the mission)? I can't think of anything else. You can knock people unconscious, right?