Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

CBB has it every four minutes. The NBA seems like it's almost random. They might just have it for national games.

Yeah I'm guessing TNT and ESPN probably run it different than some of the regional networks. The NHL seems to do media timeouts at set times regardless of the broadcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, basketball timeouts, according to Wikipedia:
-College men: first dead ball every 4 minutes. Also some weirdness with a team timeout being taken 30 seconds before the timeout time (like say a team calls a timeout at 8:28, there will be no 8 minute timeout).
-FIBA/College women: first dead ball after 5 minutes in the quarter (10 minute quarters) or first team timeout.
-Pros: First dead ball after 6 and 3 minutes left each quarter, and 9 minutes left in the 2nd and 4th. Any full timeouts replace the TV timeout.

Hockey: usually after 14, 10, and 6 minutes left in a period, but not after icing, goals, or during a power play. They also added in a timeout in post-season OT (after midway through), thank gods.

I still think baseball has the best timing for timeouts, because they're at intervals that make sense.

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 27, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah integrating timeouts a team takes helped the pace of basketball games a ton. Goddamn I want to like basketball more than I do but the pace of the last 2 minutes of big games is just maddening.

E: and yeah baseball makes sense but it's also not a timed event like the others.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 27, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AA found an awesome collection of Al Michaels calling some different sports in the 80s. Formula 1, the Indy 500 when Gordon Smiley died, the infamous womens' 3000 meters in the 84 Olympics when Mary Decker fell with 3 laps to go, and even some PPV boxing.. It's really neat.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Baseball is great in innings 1-7 but oh god the last two are a slog.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

euphronius posted:

This but the opposite

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

He anchored the Indy 500 pre-race/post-race from 1999-2001 too

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

iospace posted:

Hockey: usually after 14, 10, and 6 minutes left in a period, but not after icing, goals, or during a power play. They also added in a timeout in post-season OT (after midway through), thank gods.

The playoff timeout is natural because they clean the ice at the 10 minute mark of every OT period (and 14, 10, and 6 minute marks of regular periods). This may be an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't mind if they did it after 14 and 6 in OT because the ice is loving awful at that point. It's not a huge deal though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah i used to be a huge fan of the no-timeouts-hail-chaos thing in playoff overtimes, then I got older and realized my bladder isn't what it used to be :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Even lovely bowl games with 5-7 teams and MAC/Sun Belt matchups are doing really well in cable ratings.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I have been told that no one cares about these games and they should go away.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

marioinblack posted:

The playoff timeout is natural because they clean the ice at the 10 minute mark of every OT period (and 14, 10, and 6 minute marks of regular periods). This may be an unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't mind if they did it after 14 and 6 in OT because the ice is loving awful at that point. It's not a huge deal though.

I remember staying up for the Stars/Sabres finals. gently caress Brett Hull.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

I remember staying up for the Stars/Sabres finals. gently caress Brett Hull.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MourningView posted:

I have been told that no one cares about these games and they should go away.

Who the hell doesn't like the lovely college bowls, they're awesome

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alain Post posted:

Who the hell doesn't like the lovely college bowls, they're awesome

I dunno lots of people get mad about them existing for some reason

I will be stunned if any playoff game is more entertaining than the armed forces or quick lane bowl

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

I dunno lots of people get mad about them existing for some reason

I will be stunned if any playoff game is more entertaining than the armed forces or quick lane bowl

Sugar and Alamo bowl should have a whole bunch of scoring but yeah those games owned

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/814216706763563008

i'm gonna guess the new owners want their own stamp

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Man, Goldberg's been with UFC for what feels like decades now. Wonder who they're bringing in.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DJExile posted:

Man, Goldberg's been with UFC for what feels like decades now. Wonder who they're bringing in.

Mike Adamle.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

DJExile posted:

Hopefully someone with an actual personality

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

loving Nantz would be better than Goldberg. Good riddance you goof

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Benne posted:

Hopefully someone with an actual personality
Jim Ross. I'd watch.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

This but the opposite

Disagree when its one of those "the home team is up 6-1 at the top of the 8th, there's one out and two strikes, and no one on base. Pretty sure this isn't happening for the visitors." games.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

euphronius posted:

You can pretty much say the same about the NFL and NBA though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The NFL is in its own universe in terms of commercials. Its quite a despicable league and I cant even really watch it anymore.

The NBA does well even with the last two minutes I think? It's not oppressive.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

euphronius posted:

The NBA does well even with the last two minutes I think? It's not oppressive.
Honestly it depends on how many timeouts each team has left and the closeness of the game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah the intentional fouling thing can get brutal.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

Mike Adamle.

lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Sugar and Alamo bowl should have a whole bunch of scoring but yeah those games owned

Those are not playoff games! And also nah. Auburn's offense is rear end, that game is gonna suck. Colorado isn't really that great offensively either depending on who is playing QB

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DJExile posted:

I'd imagine whoever gets the rights will have a heavy say, since UFC's getting rid of their in-house media. Gotta figure Rogan's out the door sooner than later as well.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

MourningView posted:

Yeah the intentional fouling thing can get brutal.

This might be sample size or some other sort of bias but is there more intentional fouling in college basketball? Especially in the tournament? I don't seem to remember NBA playoff games coming down to "welp we're down 10 with 3 minutes to go, better start fouling". But maybe I don't watch enough to notice.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

CBB has it every four minutes. The NBA seems like it's almost random. They might just have it for national games.

It's definitely on local games, but NBA announcers also go to pains not to call it a commercial/TV timeout.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's suggested that it's Jim Rome who is replacing Goldberg.

As to why you'd do that I have no idea. Goldberg is great and pretty iconic when it comes to this sport?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

algebra testes posted:

As to why you'd do that I have no idea. Goldberg is great and pretty iconic when it comes to this sport?

His voice was good and he seemed plenty passionate but he was really bad with calling names. And techniques. And the general action. It was like he skimmed a few quick facts when he was hired and never really bothered to learn much about the very sport/promotion he broadcasted beyond that. He was basically the anti-Teddy Atlas.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

chunkles posted:

It's definitely on local games, but NBA announcers also go to pains not to call it a commercial/TV timeout.

I think that's a generic sports thing. Don't say you're going to commercial. Say "few words from our sponsors" if you have to say anything along those lines.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

algebra testes posted:

Can't wait to see him question an MMA pro's masculinity on live TV. That alone might be worth $45.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

DJExile posted:

His voice was good and he seemed plenty passionate but he was really bad with calling names. And techniques. And the general action. It was like he skimmed a few quick facts when he was hired and never really bothered to learn much about the very sport/promotion he broadcasted beyond that. He was basically the anti-Teddy Atlas.

my favorite parts of UFC commentary are when Goldberg tries to say something and Joe rebukes like he's ashamed that opinion was even uttered
"Leg ki--""NO, that was a body kick"
"Michael Jordan-esque in his grappling skills is Travis Lutter" "No. No it's not. No. No he's not that good."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsiD_GDFY-M the part where he's talking about how great BJ Penn is, and Joe is so in agreement and so tuned in and intense about what he's saying, and goldy's stupid mushmouth can't even say prodigy

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I have a hard time pinning down what Rogan thinks of him. There are times they seem super buddy-buddy and other times Joe seems so fed up with his rear end.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Rome was oddly the only guy I respect on the NFL on CBS pregame show.

The other guys come across as amateurs at the "chuckle hut", but Rome seems to take the gig somewhat seriously. He's actually a drat good interviewer to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

DJExile posted:

Yeah I have a hard time pinning down what Rogan thinks of him. There are times they seem super buddy-buddy and other times Joe seems so fed up with his rear end.

joe seems to like him but acknowledge that he's stupid. joe has a lot of friends like this