Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Lobok posted:

Once you get to Level 20 on a level there are no more gear unlocks left, right? And the pre-Paris missions don't provide any XP or unlocks?

There are a few individual challenges that unlock items that aren't related to level, just look in the challenge menu and you'll see the picture next to where it shows how much xp the challenge is worth. And the training levels have no unlocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Lobok posted:

Once you get to Level 20 on a level there are no more gear unlocks left, right? And the pre-Paris missions don't provide any XP or unlocks?

Yep, as long as you hit level 20 you get everything, you don't need to fill out the rest of the mastery UI bar. Those tutorial missions don't give you anything. There are a few special items that you unlock by doing specific challenges, but they're reserved for reskins of gear (gold coins, desert camo, tiger camo etc.)

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Lobok posted:

No goodies in the prologue missions, no. Once you hit 20 there are no more unlocks through mastery, but there are still some you can get through completing challenges or challenge packs. One of the more useful is a second lethal poison syringe for the Himmapan Horror challenge pack in Bangkok.

-edit, beaten

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
When a challenge says "assassinate X targets" do they have to be different missions or can I keep killing the story ones over and over?

This game is giving me strange feelings because I'm too impatient to wait around and learn npc patrols or explore maps for items and I just end up youtubing solutions but immediately after I feel bad about that

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Lakbay posted:

When a challenge says "assassinate X targets" do they have to be different missions or can I keep killing the story ones over and over?

This game is giving me strange feelings because I'm too impatient to wait around and learn npc patrols or explore maps for items and I just end up youtubing solutions but immediately after I feel bad about that

They must be different NPCs, so many will require you to do some of the kills in escalations or (more easily) contracts. You can usually just search the contracts by challenge name and find a good one that someone has already created.

It's definitely more satisfying to figure things out yourself. I stopped looking at videos for everything but the [redacted] challenges after Paris and it became way more fun. That said, sometimes the item hunt feels dull and I just find the screwdriver or whatever on hitmanmaps.com.

polishthunder84
Jul 29, 2014

You feel it too, don't you?
I just started the Hokkaido mission for the first time today.

Taking a rare donor heart, crushing it in my fist and throwing it in a trash can is probably one of the best things I've ever done in a video game. GOTY ALL YEARS.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can't wait to see speed runs of Hitman Season One. One of the best runs in AGDQ past was the Blood Money run. Just love seeing stuff like killing a entire room full of people with a coin.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is the target in Flatline random? I'm still going through my unsilenced guns only run and while the actual target was the guy that barricades himself in a room to cook meth or w/e and thus easily shot without witnesses the other two are really hard to get.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's randomly-chosen from the three mafiosi if I remember correctly. There's an "accident" for each, but the difficulty varies.

Edit: one thing that strikes me, looking back at Blood Money, is how limited the options are for each target. HiTMAN™ is much better in that regard.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 2, 2017

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

polishthunder84 posted:

Taking a rare donor heart, crushing it in my fist and throwing it in a trash can is probably one of the best things I've ever done in a video game. GOTY ALL YEARS.

Won't be needing this :v:

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

GotLag posted:

It's randomly-chosen from the three mafiosi if I remember correctly. There's an "accident" for each, but the difficulty varies.

Edit: one thing that strikes me, looking back at Blood Money, is how limited the options are for each target. HiTMAN™ is much better in that regard.

Yeah like, in my memory there always seemed like a ton of options, and sometimes there are like in Curtains Down, but in general there's usually only one or maybe two "unique" ways to go about things, though they are pretty rad to be fair.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

polishthunder84 posted:

That was the way I managed to kill him my first time too, and I just couldn't stop grinning all the way to the exit. Such a great game.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The solution to isolating Jason Portman in Hokkaido for me was super unexpected and hilarious for me: I follow him on his patrol route but cannot figure out how to get him alone then once he goes into the bathroom I look in the mirror by accident and then he gets all uppity because he thinks you also got surgery to look like Helmut and he follows me into the unoccupied toilet for an easy pacify

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I wasn't expecting to after Bangkok but I'm actually really enjoying Colorado:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhTRPIImYA4

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I'm secretly hoping we get more helmet Kruger now he has won an award!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Manwithastick posted:

I'm secretly hoping we get more helmet Kruger now he has won an award!

On the other hand, one of the motivations for the award is that he invariably ends up at the bottom of a river — in the award continuity, he's dead 40 times over.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope we find his twin brother, Halmut Kruger.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
HELMUT - Enter a world of being assassinated

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lakbay posted:

I don't remember the emote code for masterstroke but it's not :masterstroke: so imagine I just put that here because goddamn

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

StashAugustine posted:

Is the target in Flatline random? I'm still going through my unsilenced guns only run and while the actual target was the guy that barricades himself in a room to cook meth or w/e and thus easily shot without witnesses the other two are really hard to get.

Look for the psychiatrist disguise. There are unique opportunities for all three, but I believe that can be used to lure all of them to a secluded area.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I've had a proper look at the Paris content, and holy poo poo that's a lot of stuff to go through - not even including the holiday stuff, that Saravejo guy and the Vampire Magician doodads. :catstare:

This game will take me forever to Platinum won't it, hahaha. Oh man, why didn't I jump on this thing sooner.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Am I supposed to rapidly press or hold down the button prompt when I'm subduing/choking out?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hold it down. The rapidly flashing button is a bit misleading. :v:

I keep thinking the symbol above an unconscious person means they're trying to load something...

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Hold it down. The rapidly flashing button is a bit misleading. :v:

I'm pretty sure that mashing makes it faster. I remember mashing the gently caress out of that button a few times and the prompt barely had time to appear before I was done choking.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If that's true then fair enough! Nine times out of ten when I mash the button my finger slips and someone's neck gets snapped, so.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Nah, you're supposed to not touch it at all for a minute or two, so you can listen to the comments made by the victims about their current situation. :D

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The music really impresses me. I play with minimap and assassin vision but I notice the music and sound cues the game provides when certain threats approach or you go someplace you're really not supposed to.

And there's an unmistakable Bond influence in there sometimes as well. When I destroy the virus in Sapienza I might as well be playing Goldeneye given the musical flourish that accompanies the completed objective. Especially with the cover shooter playthrough I did the other day that could not have been more 007 style, using a silenced pistol, remote explosives, blowing up propane tanks, and using the exploding golf balls, then escaping on the plane.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Lakbay posted:

polishthunder84
Jul 29, 2014

You feel it too, don't you?

:golfclap:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

:vince:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Impersonating him is what made me purchase the upgrade pack.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

This needs to be a season 2 bonus map pack.
IOI, are you reading this?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

:love:

Please show this to Giant Bomb and/or IOI

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Lakbay posted:

:love:

Please show this to Giant Bomb and/or IOI

Seconded, this is brilliant

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

Impersonating him is what made me purchase the upgrade pack.

I think it's still my favorite moment in the game, though it was also one of the first things I did, so that may color it. I laughed pretty hard at the interactive catwalk though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
47 missed his true calling.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

poptart_fairy posted:

47 missed his true calling.

I mean, he's also an expert drummer, masseuse.....basically if he wasn't so fond of assassinating, he could basically hold any career in the world.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Two of the best recurring jokes in Hitman is that 47 constantly runs into people he shares an uncanny resemblance to and that he turns out to be immensely talented at literally any skill required of him.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Someone remind me in a couple days when I'm not phone posting and I'll bring it to IOI's attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just watched the ducky rain easter egg and god drat Hitman's just the best game last year. A lot of good contenders though.