Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

negromancer posted:

And yet when you talk to white people about reparations, it was SUCH A LONG TIME AGO GOSH WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY FOR STUFF I WASNT THERE FOR.

Meanwhile a lot of black folks still have living relatives that were the first freeborn black people in their family, like my grandfather and great grandmother.

My great-granddad was born on a sugar plantation and while my grandma and her family never talked much about the terrible things their parents had to endure, it still makes happy knowing that my grandma and her siblings, the first freeborn people in her family, got to live in the United States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

Aren't there still high school proms that are still segregated in some places? Basically all the white kids in the school shell out for a 'private' prom so they don't have to dance in the same venue as the black kids. hosed up if true.

In some cases the schools just refused to host the prom after desegregation, and black and white students would throw their own private proms instead.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
I think the best part of old black people is when you could be talking about anything in general and then they drop a random story on you from 70 years ago that makes you go https://imgur.com/a/5Tq1N

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

negromancer posted:

I think the best part of old black people is when you could be talking about anything in general and then they drop a random story on you from 70 years ago that makes you go https://imgur.com/a/5Tq1N

That, or put on some classics such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opC019TwQsw

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Morby posted:

Definitely true. Over Christmas my grandmother and her sisters talked a little bit about segregation when they were growing up. It started out as a rant about kids these days and their hippity hop and how they don't know how to dress for proper events (which was :3: as hell) and then segued into an interesting discussion about the dance halls they went to when they were young in SC. There was an upstairs and a downstairs to the place. Black people had to be upstairs, white people were allowed to be downstairs, but could go upstairs if they wanted. The black people upstairs were having such a good time that the whites wanted to join in and it became one big party...until, y'know, people decided to very strongly reinforce the segregation. My folks don't like to talk about it a whole lot, but they will drop in a story like this every now and then.

Man, I cant get my grandmother to talk about anything pre-1970. She will gladly talk about my grandfather who died in 1975 but anything before 1970 she will not talk about at all.

Panfilo posted:

Aren't there still high school proms that are still segregated in some places? Basically all the white kids in the school shell out for a 'private' prom so they don't have to dance in the same venue as the black kids. hosed up if true.

I remember there being some stuff out about this in the past. I was able to find the documentary that Morgan Freeman funded on a segregated prom in Mississippi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_zAEGAZoFQ

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

negromancer posted:

There's an American comedian called Reginald D Hunter who works primarily in the UK who talks about the stuff his father told him about living in those times and its amazing. I think the most amazing one is how his father paid for the first family car they had by working in a hotel and indulging some of the stranger requests white men had, like literally farting in someone's mouth.

I'm not doing it justice. Go and check out a few of his releases, they're really good.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Rush Limbo posted:

There's an American comedian called Reginald D Hunter who works primarily in the UK who talks about the stuff his father told him about living in those times and its amazing. I think the most amazing one is how his father paid for the first family car they had by working in a hotel and indulging some of the stranger requests white men had, like literally farting in someone's mouth.

I'm not doing it justice. Go and check out a few of his releases, they're really good.

Is his father sure it wasn't Thursday Lane Sr. in whiteface?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently police are back up to their old antics shooting black men.

This time, one was just walking away and got shot.

He's only paralyzed this time. I'm sure next time after they get their medals and raises they will have better aim.

https://apnews.com/f1bfe501d8c142e1bcd54251534e46f2

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Man, I cant get my grandmother to talk about anything pre-1970. She will gladly talk about my grandfather who died in 1975 but anything before 1970 she will not talk about at all.

Yeah, it's not a consistent thing at all. I have no idea what makes Grandma want to share from time to time, but I do appreciate it. Having said that, my great grandmother lived with us from the time I was about 15 or 16 until her death in 2007. She was 104 when she died (and very annoyed that her congratulatory presidential letter at age 100 came from GWB instead of Clinton). One of my grandmother's sisters always used to joke about an old family scandal that she had an inkling existed, but didn't know the details of. The day she died, she finally revealed the scandal. Her biological father was a white man in the family that owned her family and raped her mother. My great grandmother was the product of that rape. She never told anybody until that day. loving brutal.

negromancer posted:

Apparently police are back up to their old antics shooting black men.

This time, one was just walking away and got shot.

He's only paralyzed this time. I'm sure next time after they get their medals and raises they will have better aim.

https://apnews.com/f1bfe501d8c142e1bcd54251534e46f2

At least they actually called an ambulance this time? This poo poo is the worst.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
RIP Cyril deGrasse Tyson. I'm sorry for all the poo poo you had to fight against. I'm a white boy who's lurked this thread since page 1 and I'm just so sorry.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Cyril D. Tyson, Poverty Fighter, Dies at 89

Cyril D. Tyson in 1970 when he was commissioner of New York City’s Manpower and Career Development Agency.

Cyril D. Tyson, who led antipoverty programs from inside and outside government in New York City and Newark in the 1960s in a tense racial atmosphere punctuated by violence, died on Thursday at his home in North Salem, N.Y. He was 89.

His wife of 64 years, Sunchita, said he died after a series of strokes.

“Athlete, educator, civil rights activist, public servant, dad,” his son Neil deGrasse Tyson, the astrophysicist, television host and director of the Hayden Planetarium in Manhattan, said on Twitter.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

gently caress, I love this picture of him. Like, if I was a better man he'd give me one of those cigars.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Petr posted:

gently caress, I love this picture of him. Like, if I was a better man he'd give me one of those cigars.

Yeah I look at that picture and think about how good making him proud must have felt.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Cyril D. Tyson, Poverty Fighter, Dies at 89

Cyril D. Tyson in 1970 when he was commissioner of New York City’s Manpower and Career Development Agency.

Cyril D. Tyson, who led antipoverty programs from inside and outside government in New York City and Newark in the 1960s in a tense racial atmosphere punctuated by violence, died on Thursday at his home in North Salem, N.Y. He was 89.

His wife of 64 years, Sunchita, said he died after a series of strokes.

“Athlete, educator, civil rights activist, public servant, dad,” his son Neil deGrasse Tyson, the astrophysicist, television host and director of the Hayden Planetarium in Manhattan, said on Twitter.

drat this is sad to hear.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

negromancer posted:

drat this is sad to hear.

Definitely. But it's hard to ask any more than having headed up NYC's Manpower and Career Development Agency while literally raising Neil deGrasse Tyson. What a fuckin guy.

Edit: I just realized I worded this really badly. I meant it as, the world couldn't ask more from Mr. Tyson. Clearly, Tyson could have asked for a lot more.

Petr fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 31, 2016

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot
Um, hi guys.

This is my first time in the thread, I'm usually in C-spam.

One of the posters here was talking about this thread and I'm happy I found it.

For context, I'm a black woman living in Portland and am very interested in this thread.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Princess Di posted:

Um, hi guys.

This is my first time in the thread, I'm usually in C-spam.

One of the posters here was talking about this thread and I'm happy I found it.

For context, I'm a black woman living in Portland and am very interested in this thread.

The Oregon one? I'm engaging in a small discussion on local racism in the PNW thread and I'd be really interested in hearing about your experience or your observations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So an HBCU marching band is playing at the inauguration of the president endorsed by the KKK.

Well then.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

gently caress that schools administration for putting these kids in this situation.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah...I just wouldn't show up and that would be that. The school can promise whatever it wants, but I guarantee that school wouldn't want the poo poo show of negative PR as an HBCU if they attempted to punish black students that refused to play at the inauguration.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

negromancer posted:

Yeah...I just wouldn't show up and that would be that. The school can promise whatever it wants, but I guarantee that school wouldn't want the poo poo show of negative PR as an HBCU if they attempted to punish black students that refused to play at the inauguration.

On the other hand, the opportunity for some public protest performances might be hard to pass up.

This might be a bit too optimistic, but maybe they intend to do something similar to the performance Rebecca Ferguson says she'd put on (a performance of Strange Fruit).

I mean, can you think of a better gently caress you to give Trump at his inauguration than to have a literal parade of anti-racism songs and performances, broadcast on every news channel?

EDIT: Everyone in Trump's camp would probably be so dim they'd think it was some kind of endorsement though. :negative:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If they play FDT I'll allow it.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

gently caress that schools administration for putting these kids in this situation.

It's this. The kids are not to blame for this. They probably had nothing to do with this. The administration put them in an awkward position.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

If they play FDT I'll allow it.

I would play International Players Anthem. Or gently caress Toni Lahren. Or that one song by 3-6 Mafia with 8Ball and MJG.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

negromancer posted:

I would play International Players Anthem. Or gently caress Toni Lahren. Or that one song by 3-6 Mafia with 8Ball and MJG.

I don't want International Player's Anthem played at anything for Donald Trump.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

negromancer posted:

Cruzin'? Underrated second best song on Riding High

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Born to Roll by Masta Ace Incorporated, obv.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Cruzin'? Underrated second best song on Riding High

Nah, Stay Fly. I couldn't be assed to edit my post once I remembered the song 20 minutes later lol.

Dexo posted:

I don't want International Player's Anthem played at anything for Donald Trump.

I can respect that.

What about the same beat except they change the lyrics to be in summary "gently caress Donald Trump"?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Remember when The Roots used Lyin' rear end Bitch by Fishbone for Michelle Bachmann's intro music on Fallon?

Trump was a real estate mogul in NYC. There's absolutely something as pointedly insulting to him and his family out there.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

there wolf posted:

Remember when The Roots used Lyin' rear end Bitch by Fishbone for Michelle Bachmann's intro music on Fallon?

Trump was a real estate mogul in NYC. There's absolutely something as pointedly insulting to him and his family out there.

oh wow, I hadn't heard about that. I looked it up and found this great article by questlove about the incident, and the artistry that goes into live talk show music:

http://www.salon.com/2013/06/22/questlove_michele_bachmann_almost_got_me_fired_from_jimmy_fallon_show/

I love that they're having so much fun on what is otherwise a really bad talk show

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

"John Brown: How Not to be an Ally by Brian Geddes" posted:

John Brown was a genuine demagogue of the sort the United States likes to produce from time to time. He fought against slavery for two decades while moving towards a singular solution to the problem of the peculiar institution, that the only way to end slavery was to kill a lot of people. He wasn’t wrong in his assessment, given that we fought a Civil War and all, but he was completely and totally wrong in his assessment of how to go about applying that violence.

His next step was the part that was extremely problematic. He tried to start a real war.

The thing about John Brown is that he was right. He was absolutely, 100% on the right side of history. His actions in support of his beliefs from 1856 on were wrong. If he succeeded in actually growing an army he would have gotten a lot of people killed. If he succeeded in starting a free state in the middle of Virginia he would have gotten a lot of people killed and kicked off a civil war and potentially destroyed the country in the process.

To steal a line from tumblr, "Democrats are still salty about Harper's Ferry"

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
~~ incoming white person post ~~

Hey Negrotown! I saw 'Dear White People' last night and loved it; it was a complex (and loving depressing) investigation of the intersections of various identities, with the common thread being 'existing while black in spaces that will inevitably deny some fundamental component of your identity'. I'm definitely viewing the movie through the lens of my own experiences (gay white woman), and I was hoping this thread might be a good place to ask (1) have you seen it? and (2) what did you think of it? did it resonate with any aspect of your life?

The thing that really struck me was how systems of white supremacy make it exhausting to be black. There's always some aspect of your identity that's under assault, and having to constantly choose whether to fight, compromise, or acquiesce is an enormous labor. That poo poo seems like it could wear you down .

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

~~ incoming white person post ~~

Hey Negrotown! I saw 'Dear White People' last night and loved it; it was a complex (and loving depressing) investigation of the intersections of various identities, with the common thread being 'existing while black in spaces that will inevitably deny some fundamental component of your identity'. I'm definitely viewing the movie through the lens of my own experiences (gay white woman), and I was hoping this thread might be a good place to ask (1) have you seen it? and (2) what did you think of it? did it resonate with any aspect of your life?

The thing that really struck me was how systems of white supremacy make it exhausting to be black. There's always some aspect of your identity that's under assault, and having to constantly choose whether to fight, compromise, or acquiesce is an enormous labor. That poo poo seems like it could wear you down .

I saw it when it came out, own it on Blu-ray, but really haven't seen it since. There were parts about it that kind of pissed me off, most of them involving Gabe, Sam's boyfriend. In a movie full of complex stuff that people constantly get called out on, he just kind of felt preachy and nobody ever called him out on his poo poo.

The tipping scene resonated with me. I always try to tip 20 percent if not more. I found Dennis Haysbert's character interesting in how he has that role and kind of has to play into the power structure.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

https://twitter.com/TylerRickyTynes/status/816658442895196160?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

in which an old white man explains to use how ni- "athletes" are growing up fatherless.

Of course people falling all over themselves explaining how peepaws racism is okay.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
That dude looks like the angry dean from an 80's college movie.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

I saw it when it came out, own it on Blu-ray, but really haven't seen it since. There were parts about it that kind of pissed me off, most of them involving Gabe, Sam's boyfriend. In a movie full of complex stuff that people constantly get called out on, he just kind of felt preachy and nobody ever called him out on his poo poo.

The tipping scene resonated with me. I always try to tip 20 percent if not more. I found Dennis Haysbert's character interesting in how he has that role and kind of has to play into the power structure.

I always tip a minimum of 5 bucks up to 20 dollars and then stay above 25%.

And I barely made it 20 minutes into that movie. It was trash and the white boyfriend was absolute trash and undermined the entire point of the movie.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

That dude looks like the angry dean from an 80's college movie.

He looks like the bad dean from every college/high school shenanigans movie.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Octatonic posted:

To steal a line from tumblr, "Democrats are still salty about Harper's Ferry"

Aw, he took the article down. :(

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

So does kidnapping a mentally disabled white man and torturing him for hours counts as reparations? How is negromancer still posting when the perpetrators were allegedly arrested?

Negromancer and his friends cut that poor guy's scalp to the bone, are they going to give him back that bit of flesh or are they keeping it? No need to reply it's too late to surgically reattach it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

homercles posted:

So does kidnapping a mentally disabled white man and torturing him for hours counts as reparations? How is negromancer still posting when the perpetrators were allegedly arrested?

Negromancer and his friends cut that poor guy's scalp to the bone, are they going to give him back that bit of flesh or are they keeping it? No need to reply it's too late to surgically reattach it.

Only if they take you next. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

homercles posted:

So they cut his scalp? There's just not much of anything between the skin and bone on your head, dude.

• Locked thread