Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Protocol7 posted:

Stealing this one from Reddit because it's such sweet schadenfreude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVdKCSQJpU0

Just witnessed an accident, oh, and got it on video. Should we stop? Nah.. gently caress it..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If I encountered a multiple car pileup in bad visibility I'd think twice about hanging around in the area. Seems like a good way to run over or crumpled yourself.

It's not like having the video on hand would change any citations the police write up, it's pretty loving clear from the truck sitting on its side that dude was driving too fast for conditions.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Locator posted:

Just witnessed an accident, oh, and got it on video. Should we stop? Nah.. gently caress it..

What do you expect them to do? Stand around gawking at the pileup while running the risk of being slammed into by the next rear end in a top hat driving too fast for conditions because "I have four wheel drive"?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

As far as endangering yourself, you drive past it and then pull over where it's safe, walk back to check on folks, give your contact information to the cops as a witness, and then toodle on down the road.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Also, it was a shuttle van, so you'd be inconveniencing all your passengers and you'd probably be liable for them if they were involved in a future collision.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Locator posted:

As far as endangering yourself, you drive past it and then pull over where it's safe, walk back to check on folks, give your contact information to the cops as a witness, and then toodle on down the road.

I've actually done that exact thing before, only I pulled onto a side street. A box truck took a curve too fast in slushy conditions (and seriously, this turn is a bitch even in dry conditions: tight left handed turn downhill with a way too high speed limit), nearly tipped the thing over but managed to keep it upright. Still went off the road, I told the cop what happened and everything as I was right behind the guy. Don't know what happened after.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm trying to figure out if that's a two lane each direction or what.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Someone today in clear conditions four feet into the other lane going 10 below the limit of 35. Big jeep.

Either drunk or a first day learner.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I'm trying to figure out if that's a two lane each direction or what.

Lanes tend to be very "dynamic" when there's unplowed snow on the roads. People will tend to sit in whatever tracks someone else put down, and it's not uncommon for it to be straddling two lanes. Given most people's inability to handle low grip situations I tend to prefer they keep doing that.. as long as there's enough room for me to sneak around when it's safe. :v:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Yup, my winter trial with my brother and dad involved taking his Ranger out to an abandoned parking lot and practicing "handling" in the snow

Definitely the correct way to do it, and the first thing you should do your first snowfall with any new vehicle (or after making changes that significantly impact the handling). After enough practice it just becomes second nature where you can feel what's about to happen and are already countersteering before your conscious brain has a chance to think about it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xzzy posted:

If I encountered a multiple car pileup in bad visibility I'd think twice about hanging around in the area. Seems like a good way to run over or crumpled yourself.

It's not like having the video on hand would change any citations the police write up, it's pretty loving clear from the truck sitting on its side that dude was driving too fast for conditions.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly why the white car moved further down. So they don't get creamed by trucks going inappropriately fast for the conditions.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Locator posted:

As far as endangering yourself, you drive past it and then pull over where it's safe, walk back to check on folks,

Yes, that sounds entirely safe, walking alongside a dangerous road.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Protocol7 posted:

Stealing this one from Reddit because it's such sweet schadenfreude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVdKCSQJpU0

Snowstorm in the mountains, visibility is poo poo, video lasts 90 seconds and I count 18 vehicles with no lights on whatsoever. Part of being able to drive in the snow is knowing how to drive in the first place.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Isn't that stretch of road in the mountains west of Denver?

I was under the impression they locked that road down pretty tight during snow, forcing people to use snowchains or get sent back the way they came (or fined heavily).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Phanatic posted:

This happened right in front of me on my way to work a couple weeks ago:

But in fairness, I don't think it was the Jeep's fault. Red-light runner caught it on the corner and rolled it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

Yes, that sounds entirely safe, walking alongside a dangerous road.

“It‘s unsafe to park a multi‐tonne metal box here, so to be safe I‘ll park it down the road and walk through the danger zone.”

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

xzzy posted:

Lanes tend to be very "dynamic" when there's unplowed snow on the roads. People will tend to sit in whatever tracks someone else put down, and it's not uncommon for it to be straddling two lanes. Given most people's inability to handle low grip situations I tend to prefer they keep doing that.. as long as there's enough room for me to sneak around when it's safe. :v:

I just spent a week in Michigan's UP and country roads after a few snowfalls are often 3 tire ruts through the snow to find sand-covered asphalt underneath. Usually, etiquette dictates that the 2wd vehicle gets to keep the center rut. Things get interesting in the presence of night/alcohol/deer/etc.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
People who think nothing of stacking into a lane of traffic when a drive-through line is backed up that far should be summarily executed.

You're not getting your loving latte right now, clear the road.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Eifert Posting posted:

Someone today in clear conditions four feet into the other lane going 10 below the limit of 35. Big jeep.

Either drunk or a first day learner.

One very handy thing we have in Australia is that learner and probationary drivers must display special plates.

Lets you know to be extra careful around them.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Gorilla Salad posted:

One very handy thing we have in Australia is that learner and probationary drivers must display special plates.

Surprisingly in my experience people tend to be pretty good when they see the big L plate and give them some room and understanding, for the most part. Still plenty enough twats get mad they are taking a corner "not fast enough" or whatever.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Gorilla Salad posted:

Do you often see those attached to supercars like you do in Vancouver?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

We have those! Except they are diamond shaped and say "Baby on board".

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

PT6A posted:

I'm not sure on the rules for L platers, since they're learners usually in their parent's car, but there are definitely restrictions on P platers in some/all states in regards to horsepower/displacement/turbos etc....

And yeah, L platers aren't so bad, just the usual learner driver stuff, but P platers are where you find the lovely drivers. I don't think WA was any sort of restrictions on what a P plater can drive, so anytime you see something like an HSV ute running Ps, watch out, cause they're probably gonna wrap themselves around a tree sometime soon.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Problem? What problem? :psyduck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJZbKXu_6N4&t=339s

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Locator posted:

We have those! Except they are diamond shaped and say "Baby on board".

I thought that meant hit them :psyduck:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
surprisedit'snotflorida.html
http://www.cbs5az.com/story/34191888/naked-woman-in-stolen-mcso-suv-spotted-driving-wrong-way-on-i-8

Cliffs: naked woman stole a cop car and got in a police chase with it going the wrong way on the interstate.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

kastein posted:

surprisedit'snotflorida.html
http://www.cbs5az.com/story/34191888/naked-woman-in-stolen-mcso-suv-spotted-driving-wrong-way-on-i-8

Cliffs: naked woman stole a cop car and got in a police chase with it going the wrong way on the interstate.

On two interstates! Although only wrong-way on one of them I guess.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

PT6A posted:

I immediately thought of this article from a couple years ago:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/alleged-b-c-street-race-with-2m-in-luxury-cars-1.1112196

They stopped 13 modified super cars for street racing, all drivers were "around 20" and most were still on restricted licenses. I don't get how they will make you get a restricted license and put a sign on your car, but its fine to drive a Ferrari.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Because freedom!

They also tend to drive like dicks and chirp at the cops until their car gets towed because in china who their parents are gets them around stupid things like laws.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Powershift posted:

Because freedom!

They also tend to drive like dicks and chirp at the cops until their car gets towed because in china who their parents are gets them around stupid things like laws.

Vancouver.jpg

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

xzzy posted:

Isn't that stretch of road in the mountains west of Denver?

I was under the impression they locked that road down pretty tight during snow, forcing people to use snowchains or get sent back the way they came (or fined heavily).
Yeah the tunnel is there on I70 and there are some relatively recent traction laws though truckers have had chain requirements before that.

quote:

During an active Traction Law, also known as a Code 15, motorists will need to have either snow tires, tires with the
mud/snow (M+S) designation, or a four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicle — all tires must have a minimum one-eighth inch tread. You can also install chains or an alternative traction device (like AutoSock) to be in compliance with the law if your tires aren't adequate.

They also can close the tunnels themselves but it's my understanding this is done as they cannot allow cars to sit in the tunnels themselves during heavy traffic so the meter them. I don't think 70 is ever closed, not positive though. Maybe -really- bad conditions they'd block it. There is another road that they do close for the winter though (Pikes Peak or something?).

E: remembered what I was going to post-

Today Denver's roads are crap. I saw a guy in a Smart car going uphill presumably with crappy tires. It looked like a go-cart in the mud :D

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 5, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I actually like how Wyoming does it, at every interstate entrance/exit they have drop down gates installed that can be used to close the road completely. Every state west of the Mississippi has some gate deployments but I'm pretty sure Wyoming has more of them than anyone else.

I haven't witnessed it personally but I have family that lives out that way and they will actually use them if the weather gets too lovely.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sten Freak posted:

Yeah the tunnel is there on I70 and there are some relatively recent traction laws though truckers have had chain requirements before that.

They also can close the tunnels themselves but it's my understanding this is done as they cannot allow cars to sit in the tunnels themselves during heavy traffic so the meter them. I don't think 70 is ever closed, not positive though. Maybe -really- bad conditions they'd block it. There is another road that they do close for the winter though (Pikes Peak or something?).

E: remembered what I was going to post-

Today Denver's roads are crap. I saw a guy in a Smart car going uphill presumably with crappy tires. It looked like a go-cart in the mud :D

Dumb as gently caress to allow AWD vehicles to get by with all-seasons...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PT6A posted:

Probably done to placate the voters as basically every cowboy wannabe in that part of the country rolls around in a truck or jeep.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

PT6A posted:

Any vehicle can use all-seasons, so long as they have the M+S stamp. Besides no-name "chinese specials", I haven't seen an all season tire that didn't.

xzzy posted:

Probably done to placate the voters as basically every cowboy wannabe in that part of the country rolls around in a truck or jeep.

You forgot all the subarus. Like the 3 in ditches I passed on the way to work today.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I thought the subarus were for the john denver types.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Subarus are everywhere in CO, owned by every type of owner and driver you can think up. We have the biggest Subaru dealer in the country or something like that.

Regarding AWD and all seasons, certainly the best scenario is winter tires on AWD but in my opinion the biggest problem is not the tire type but condition and how you drive. People will drive (or were, no idea if these laws have been effective) to the mountains on near bald tires. After the 1st big snowfall of each season all the tires shops are slammed for a few days. There's just a lot of people who don't think about tires until they are sliding all over or someone tells them they need to be replaced.

I had snows on my LS400 and loved them but I was new to snow driving and that's a big heavy RWD sedan. Currently I have an AWD and all seasons and I have a good feel for the road and don't drive like a jack rear end. If I went skiing frequently I'd consider winters but around town or occasional trips to the mountains they are fine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft that doesn't help the stereotyping at all which severely damages my ability to generate forum comedy.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

xzzy posted:

Pfft that doesn't help the stereotyping at all which severely damages my ability to generate forum comedy.

Does it help if I tell you that we got 5 inches, which was basically plowed by the morning commute, yet more than 50% of the office decided to stay home because they were afraid of conditions that the average MN/WI/IL driver wouldn't bat an eye at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
They seem fine, until you compare things like braking distance. All seasons can take twice as far to stop depending on the specific tires and conditions. Maybe worse comparing a worn all season to a new snow tire.