Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It is, and the actual problem is I'm trying to sort through 9 different loot piles so my RV isn't a pigsty. If I'd sorted everything to begin with this would be so easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Spending so long sorting things you start getting messages about dehydration and exhaustion is The Real Cataclysm.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carcer posted:

It is, and the actual problem is I'm trying to sort through 9 different loot piles so my RV isn't a pigsty. If I'd sorted everything to begin with this would be so easy.

Do you know about the advanced inventory menu?

It's a useful menu,

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

Do you know about the advanced inventory menu?

It's a useful menu,

This is incredibly true and my life changed when I discovered just how useful it is.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
you mean /?

If yes, then yeah, but I used that to dump huge amounts of varied crap in a couple massive piles so sorting through it is taking forever.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Carcer posted:

you mean /?

If yes, then yeah, but I used that to dump huge amounts of varied crap in a couple massive piles so sorting through it is taking forever.

Press s and c while in both views. Even better, press a and you will see everything in the closest 9 squares.

Now, you still might want to sort a bit if you like having specific places to dump all your tools/materials/food/drink/etc. instead of just piling everything together, but if you don't care about that you should be good and even if you do your work will become loads easier.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, (s)ort is the level 2 technique that makes (/)advanced inventory incredibly good instead of merely very good.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Advanced Inventory is also good for moving stuff without having to pick it up.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
Also, both in the adv inventory as wewll as when using (V)iew, remember to make use of stuff like c:spare parts and c:food etc to bin things properly

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I picked this up again after about year and a half (the previous version that I played was cataclysmdda-0.C-3279, to give you an idea) and spent a few evenings mucking about, getting overconfident and dying to deadly as ever moose, shocker brutes and the surprisingly strong survivor zombies.

It still scratches the 'hoard every part of the buffalo' itch like nothing else does and I did not encounter anything too sperged up, I think. The nutrition system seems kind of manageable, at least and I didn't quite make it to building or driving vehicles yet.

So, my question is - the default worldgen options provide a list of mods. The mod folder has quite a lot more mods and I'd like to include one not on the list. No_Zombie_Animals, if that matters. How can I get non-default mods to show up?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i was looking through the cata wiki for fun and i saw that the vomitous mutation was linked with the rat branch

rats can't vomit. i thought the devs cared about realism :colbert:

speaking of realism, i haven't played in a while, what have they broken lately in the name of verisimilitude?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Tiler Kiwi posted:

speaking of realism, i haven't played in a while, what have they broken lately in the name of verisimilitude?

Cars will now eat a tank of gas/120kg battery down a short stretch of road because someone felt the need to completely re-do the way consumption is calculated and add in a notion of RPM and gears.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
great fuckin perfect

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Anticheese posted:

Cars will now eat a tank of gas/120kg battery down a short stretch of road because someone felt the need to completely re-do the way consumption is calculated and add in a notion of RPM and gears.

How the gently caress does shifting gears work? I have an IFV and the thing goes 14 miles per hour on a road tops.

That is not how tanks and other similar armored vehicles work. They can go faster than that!

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 5, 2017

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Supposed to be automatic, but yeah. Realism, guys!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i suspect if they clued into reality at all they'd just defend their idiotic design decisions as Hardcore or something dumb like that

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Has anyone made a mod to undo the changes?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Archonex posted:

How the gently caress does shifting gears work? I have an IFV and the thing goes 14 miles per hour on a road tops.

That is not how tanks and other similar armored vehicles work. They can go faster than that!

It's all handled behind the scenes. Which begs the question why simulate gears at all.

Artificer posted:

Has anyone made a mod to undo the changes?

Not as yet. Mega vehicle mods counter acts it. You can also edit one of the files to boost energy density of different fuel types. I think someone patched fuels to store less energy, which was quickly followed by the patch to increase vehicle consumption which created a one two punch to ruin vehicle usefulness. If you're editing files you might want to boost solar panel recharge rate. That was also reduced which makes pure electric vehicles pointless.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Marenghi posted:

It's all handled behind the scenes. Which begs the question why simulate gears at all.

Not as yet. Mega vehicle mods counter acts it. You can also edit one of the files to boost energy density of different fuel types. I think someone patched fuels to store less energy, which was quickly followed by the patch to increase vehicle consumption which created a one two punch to ruin vehicle usefulness. If you're editing files you might want to boost solar panel recharge rate. That was also reduced which makes pure electric vehicles pointless.

Yeah, as I understand it Megaveh mod basically triples it. I didn't know about that so I ended up installing the mod that I mentioned in my previous post (http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=468012506#post467688838) to do the same.

I worry about finite resources so much (it's basically dumb) since every single vehicle in the world only has like 1/10th their tank that I've mostly stuck to electric vehicles and such, but that mod makes them totally viable (maybe a bit too good currently? Hard to say, depending what your 'target' is) - at least viable for small/lightweight vehicles.

Also currently you can't have two concurrent engines so multiple engines are either for multiple fuel types or redundancy. So if you want a bigger EV you'll need to find an enhanced motor or a large electric motor, it seems.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
So, stats relating to guns. I wanted to do a gun-focused character because I've always done melee characters. Melee is obvious; Dex adds chance to hit, strength adds blunt damage. Great.

With guns, it's a little more murky. The wiki is generally horrendously outdated, so is 12 Per still required to have optimal accuracy? What about dexterity?

Current character is 4 Str/8 Dex/10 Int/12 Per. Am I gimping myself with the 8 dex somehow?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Fayk posted:

Yeah, as I understand it Megaveh mod basically triples it. I didn't know about that so I ended up installing the mod that I mentioned in my previous post (http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=468012506#post467688838) to do the same.

I worry about finite resources so much (it's basically dumb) since every single vehicle in the world only has like 1/10th their tank that I've mostly stuck to electric vehicles and such, but that mod makes them totally viable (maybe a bit too good currently? Hard to say, depending what your 'target' is) - at least viable for small/lightweight vehicles.

Also currently you can't have two concurrent engines so multiple engines are either for multiple fuel types or redundancy. So if you want a bigger EV you'll need to find an enhanced motor or a large electric motor, it seems.

I'm not sure if megavehicles increases engine efficiency to cut fuel consumption. The better fix is to up the energy value of fuels. The recent fuel changes ruined the usefulness of other items which run of gasoline, like the latern, used to be a long lasting and easily filled source of light, now not so good.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

The problem is that this game seems to lack any real direction, as in proper curation of patches and changes to make sure the game always moves towards a more fun state. As it is, it's a hobby project contributed to unevenly by a few dozen people, and a lot of content doesn't get maintained terribly well.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yes there's no development goals. Interesting things like the dimensional portals you see near Mi-Go spawns or at the bottom of labs have been useless vestigial features for years, and there's no indication that's ever going to change. Meanwhile the things that they seem to considered it worth spending dev time on are just things like blanket nerfs to fuel efficiency, which only has the effect of making it more tedious to explore the world.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I don't like how much of the content is outright taken from other IPs (amigara crap, boomers, manhacks, shoggoths, mi-go, et al), but I would be totally down for being able to jump through the portals and launch a series of raids on the lower planes. Building a stargate and driving your doom RV through would be a pretty badass endgame goal.

Construction is another feature that's interesting in principle, but tedious in practice. I love that, given time and a sufficient food supply, I can bootstrap my way to a log cabin and get to work on some quality permanent shelter, and by the time I'm done, build a forge and other useful things. However, the glacial speed of construction is a total pain, as is trying to drag 500 logs and pieces of wood even half a screen. Also, the fact that construction progress completely stalls out around level 4 unless you build a crapload of useless forges for no apparent reason. Even then, stuff like being able to build a well is needlessly gated by level 8. Building a mininuke takes less skill than it does to dig and stabilise a pit below the water table and install a pump.

What I would like to see is a system that lets you designate what you'd like to build and where. Then you just feed the appropriate materials into a stockpile, check the visualisation of what your place is gonna look like, and commit a bunch of time to the build. Just...For the love of god cut the default time down so that it doesn't take a full year to build a little cabin.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Even just being able to designate a stockpile for materials or something would be fantastic. So I don't have to constantly gently caress around with dragging poo poo around to build with. Let me designate a tile in the middle of the to-be constructed area and pile all the wood and poo poo in it, then go nuts building. That would be awesome.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
:siren:IDIOT QUESTION AHEAD:siren:

To make it clear, I don't develop software, I don't follow software development, I don't know anything about it, I don't even know how to read. That said: Isn't CDDA totally open source? I mean, I absolutely agree with a lot of the complaints about what passes for the direction of development, but there's a very fun foundation here. Is the only thing stopping another party from forking this game into something they want to see time and motivation?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solid Poopsnake posted:

:siren:IDIOT QUESTION AHEAD:siren:

To make it clear, I don't develop software, I don't follow software development, I don't know anything about it, I don't even know how to read. That said: Isn't CDDA totally open source? I mean, I absolutely agree with a lot of the complaints about what passes for the direction of development, but there's a very fun foundation here. Is the only thing stopping another party from forking this game into something they want to see time and motivation?

No that's pretty much it. The thing is that your fork would have to make fairly substantial changes to really catch on (since anyone playing it is also making the decision to go without any updates that have been added to the main branch, so the trade off needs to feel worthwhile), which means there's a big barrier to entry just from a work/creativity standpoint. If what you're doing is just some minor tweaks, you're better off just making a mod.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

This thread (or an earlier incarnation of it) made a fork that eventually got merged into the main game. While I'm really happy that my contribution (changing the hard int cap on reading books to a mild reading speed penalty) made it in, there's still a lot of weird artifacts from Goon Days Ahead in. Like the bookplate armour being unmaintained and kinda a pain to get and use. The whole fork just got put in wholesale without any real thought to the content involved.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Anticheese posted:

Construction is another feature that's interesting in principle, but tedious in practice. I love that, given time and a sufficient food supply, I can bootstrap my way to a log cabin and get to work on some quality permanent shelter, and by the time I'm done, build a forge and other useful things. However, the glacial speed of construction is a total pain, as is trying to drag 500 logs and pieces of wood even half a screen. Also, the fact that construction progress completely stalls out around level 4 unless you build a crapload of useless forges for no apparent reason. Even then, stuff like being able to build a well is needlessly gated by level 8. Building a mininuke takes less skill than it does to dig and stabilise a pit below the water table and install a pump.

What I would like to see is a system that lets you designate what you'd like to build and where. Then you just feed the appropriate materials into a stockpile, check the visualisation of what your place is gonna look like, and commit a bunch of time to the build. Just...For the love of god cut the default time down so that it doesn't take a full year to build a little cabin.
I agree a system like that (both planning but then also the idea you can farm it out to your village of survivors) would be amazing.

That said, there's a (lower = slower) value right in the options for construction scaling btw, including an odd quirk that makes me wonder what their originally conceived timescales might have been -- a setting of zero scales it to your season length... but the result is that on a 14 day season, the values are actually super sane.

Now if only my character didn't burn 80000 calories a day reading books while a diet light in meat, heavy in fruits and veggies slowly lowers my health. (Self-aware trait, hoping to understand the mechanics of it better)

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Yeah, even as someone who hasn't played the game for long you can see lots of weird quirks (some useful, some charming, some dumb) as a result of the process - weird areas where construction offers a far superior alternative for example, or the opposite. (Charcoal kiln from the construction menu is soooo much less clicky annoyance unless you really just wanna use the crafted one as a magical light source)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The game just desperately needs someone to sit down and rationalise the whole thing but unfortunately the guy closest to doing that at the moment has a history of making extremely bad gameplay decisions because realism or 'this implementation isn't perfect so we're keeping the existing even worse implementation'.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
which again sounds easier than it is; i'd trust most folks in this thread to have that sort of balance discussion and handle it sanely, but the issue is not whether or not we trust them, it's a matter of whether everyone else does. you'd basically need to become one of the leading code contributors to even start to build that reputation as trustworthy.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
every good hellscape begins with a thousand fursuit commits

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Is there even an overarching goal to what makes stable version 0.D?
Seems like people have been adding all sorts and making fixes with no clear end point in sight.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Marenghi posted:

Is there even an overarching goal to what makes stable version 0.D?
Seems like people have been adding all sorts and making fixes with no clear end point in sight.
In theory?

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/milestone/10

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

0.D mileposts:
Unfuck NPCs
Make the portals go somewhere
gently caress vehicles right in the rear end

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Building a monster bus was pretty much the de facto endgame goal, and now there isn't even that anymore. There's actually LESS endgame content now.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

You know, I have to say - I like that there *are* inventory limits and encumbrance, but on how the specifics somehow play out, I dunno man.

I mean, I tend to hoard in games in general, but in this, even if I'm not hoarding, I am spending too much of my playtime (literally hours) managing inventory piles.

The fact that the *largest* vehicle storage tile is 250L probably contributes a lot.

Also WHAT WAS I THINKING taking Bad back on this character (And not taking Packmule for volume).

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

That list is just as long as it was a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

So, stats relating to guns. I wanted to do a gun-focused character because I've always done melee characters. Melee is obvious; Dex adds chance to hit, strength adds blunt damage. Great.

With guns, it's a little more murky. The wiki is generally horrendously outdated, so is 12 Per still required to have optimal accuracy? What about dexterity?

Current character is 4 Str/8 Dex/10 Int/12 Per. Am I gimping myself with the 8 dex somehow?

Guns just don't seem good. At all.

I wanted to toy around in the latest unstable with a cheat character, just to see some of the new content. I understand why each gun has proprietary, separate magazines now, because everything has to be realistic and annoying and tedious, but it does fit the survival theme I guess. Anyway, I gave myself maxed stats and a full arsenal of guns and... with maxed stats and high skill levels and fully modded out they honestly just aren't that powerful. Melee and martial arts make guns seem like a joke, the only reason you need ranged is to deal with shocker and spitter zombies.

I actually just tested this just now, to refresh my memory. For example, my cheat character has like, 36 skill in SMG and maxed stats. I gave myself a P90 and went to kill some normal zombies. I fully aimed in on each shot so I had max steadiness and max confidence.

While I could usually kill a zombie in 2-3 shots at medium range, sometimes it would take 5-8 shots. Even with my skill jacked up to cheat levels, I would still miss shots. To compare, in the much older versions when I played years ago, if you cheated your stats up that high and let rip with a full auto burst, your character would fire bullets in a crazy 360 degree arc and headshot everything like you were ragehacking in CS or something, it was awesome.

A while ago, I think it was in 2015, I made a mod that substantially buffed guns, but there's been so much content and changes since then it'd be way outdated by now, I'm not sure if it would even work.

edit: I just tested it, and yeah. Trying to load the mod in the recent unstables just gives an error message. I'd have to rework it from the ground up.

Bilal fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 9, 2017