Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I internet archived it and this quote in particular is some bullshit

Sorry, no

I'm interested in a refutation, either from you or elsewhere, because that sounds reasonable to me.

Can take this to pm if you want so this bad book podcast isn't overrun by more of my bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

That's a big plus for SF
You can create scenarios that would never exist in the real world and examine them as such. It's like saying Blade is an evil movie, because in real life there wouldn't be any vampires and he'd just be murderizing normal people.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Famethrowa posted:

edit: also, the speaker of the dead thing is a direct reference to the Mormon tradition of going through Holocaust victim lists and posthumously baptizing them as Mormon. As a jew, that is beyond reprehensible.

Aw poo poo, really? I haven't read the books in a while, but I thought the speaker for the dead was a really cool idea. Then again, I'm realizing there was a lot I didn't pick up about the books.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Let me just say that I turned off after the dramatic reading set to Yakety Sax. That poo poo wasn't funny, and I don't mean in an offensive way. Except for being offensive to my ear drums.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

That's a big plus for SF
You can create scenarios that would never exist in the real world and examine them as such. It's like saying Blade is an evil movie, because in real life there wouldn't be any vampires and he'd just be murderizing normal people.

That's also why sci-fi polemics need to be heavily picked apart and critiqued. They can be incredibly misleading.

apokaladle posted:

Aw poo poo, really? I haven't read the books in a while, but I thought the speaker for the dead was a really cool idea. Then again, I'm realizing there was a lot I didn't pick up about the books.

The whole series is heavily influenced by Mormon cosmology, especially the way colonies are conceived as being heterogenous groups of people (like the Mormon concept of afterlife). It'd be interesting to pick apart in detail, but gently caress reading those boring things.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
E: actually I have decided to not follow through with this debate because this, as others have said, is not the place for it

I will say you have some weird hangups about Mormons. I have a Mormon friend and they're like, the best person I know, they aren't Darth Vader dude

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I have no problems with Mormons, or the religion at large, I have a problem with individual Mormons like Card, and with things promoted by the Mormon institution.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Famethrowa posted:

I have no problems with Mormons, or the religion at large, I have a problem with individual Mormons like Card, and with things promoted by the Mormon institution.

Fair enough

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

That's a big plus for SF

That's not what he's saying in his argument though. He's not arguing that Ender's Game is evil because if it was in the real world, he'd be evil. He's arguing that Ender's Game has a flawed ethical system where people are good or evil only by merit of their intentions, and that the book is constructed in such a way that a "good" person (as judged by the ethical system evident in the book) can commit genocide while remaining innocent.

He isn't arguing against intention having any bearing on ethics, he's arguing against an ethical system where intentions are the be-all and end-all of ethics, which is the system he argues Ender's Game operates under.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Djeser posted:

That's not what he's saying in his argument though. He's not arguing that Ender's Game is evil because if it was in the real world, he'd be evil. He's arguing that Ender's Game has a flawed ethical system where people are good or evil only by merit of their intentions, and that the book is constructed in such a way that a "good" person (as judged by the ethical system evident in the book) can commit genocide while remaining innocent.

He isn't arguing against intention having any bearing on ethics, he's arguing against an ethical system where intentions are the be-all and end-all of ethics, which is the system he argues Ender's Game operates under.

If he is, he's doing a piss-poor job of it

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I'm not even sure what your complaint about his article is. If it's that he's arguing for consequentialist ethics, he isn't, and consequentialism doesn't even come up except in the sense that he argues against Card's intention-based ethics.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

stop arguing with vosgian beast, he isn't interested in making himself understood

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Enders Game sucks poo poo

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
*whipcrack*

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This is their best episode since List of the Lost.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if I missed the reason, why did they do the second book in the series?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Koburn posted:

Because the series isn't a softcore bondage lit version of loving Babylon 5 or Lost. All the Gor books are pretty much interchangeable and nobody cares about any kind of overarching story to the series up to and including John Norman.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 9, 2017

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Koburn posted:

collision found two copies at a used book store

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
That's not a Jesse Ventura impression J's doing, that's more like the voice Arin put on during one Mario Maker episode of Game Grumps.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

padijun posted:

collision found two copies at a used book store

Thanks. I re-listened to the episode and caught it this time, must of just spaced out at that section.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
This is also the one that had a movie adaptation that got on MST3k https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp1RTGZxBTw

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
"Oh Jesus Christ, Nietzsche" is I think my favorite thing that JW has ever said.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45lXXiLbTxM

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Between a two-parter on 2112 and this donor episode, it's like their January content is catered to me and me alone.

(the backer episode is the two of them going to a year-in-review issue of Spin Magazine from 1994)

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
the 90s were loving trash

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

padijun posted:

the 90s were loving trash

Yup

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Jay has a spiel in the latest backer ep about "I used to waste so much time performatively hating things for peer approval" and LOL. "Used to"? I love this podcast but wish the hosts would do about one-third as much smug chuckling about how enlightened they are every time something sexist or racist comes up. The way they relish the opportunity is as obvious as a naked dick flapping in the wind.

Collision, earlier in the episode: "There's this disease where everyone thinks they're a comedian. I think it's called (beat) having a penis!" Tell me more about this strange land you live in where opinionated women are a rarity, "dude". Like the snark of Spin circa '94 isn't exactly what I see when I open up Bust, Jezebel, Reductress, etc. today.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

The Time Dissolver posted:

The way they relish the opportunity is as obvious as about the most obvious thing you could think of.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jay has a spiel in the latest backer ep about "I used to waste so much time performatively hating things for peer approval" and LOL. "Used to"? I love this podcast but wish the hosts would do about one-third as much smug chuckling about how enlightened they are every time something sexist or racist comes up. The way they relish the opportunity is as obvious as a naked dick flapping in the wind.

Collision, earlier in the episode: "There's this disease where everyone thinks they're a comedian. I think it's called (beat) having a penis!" Tell me more about this strange land you live in where opinionated women are a rarity, "dude". Like the snark of Spin circa '94 isn't exactly what I see when I open up Bust, Jezebel, Reductress, etc. today.

I'm sorry people don't laugh at your jokes

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Tell us more about virtue signaling.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"Dude"

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

it's two dorks from san francisco talking about spin magazine from 1994, chill out

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Lumbermouth posted:

Tell us more about virtue signaling.

I want to specifically refute this. It's a podcast, building your audience through what you talk about is the entire point. IDGAF about virtue signaling, only Nazis get up in arms about it. It's that uniquely Californian unctuousness that annoys me.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I'm also really mad about Chris making a bad joke, because he never does that on purpose,

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I want to specifically refute this. It's a podcast, building your audience through what you talk about is the entire point. IDGAF about virtue signaling, only Nazis get up in arms about it. It's that uniquely Californian unctuousness that annoys me.

Yeah, only people from California can be pretentious, right.

I think Jay's point is he used to try to hate certain things just to seem cool, and now he hates things because he actually hates them. If you think the reason he calls out racist/sexist material can't be because it bothers him, but it has to be part of an scheme to appear and/or feel morally superior and smug, that says more about you than him.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The term "virtue signalling" is a neo-nazi development, but I remember people getting angry af at macklemore and John Green for virtue signalling for years.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

The term "virtue signalling" is a neo-nazi development, but I remember people getting angry af at macklemore and John Green for virtue signalling for years.

They weren't made about virtue signalling because it's a fake idea made up by neo-nazis.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jay was referring to hating "posers" and "sellouts" for peer approval since he was part of the hardcore scene. He's mentioned it before, along with his dabbling in straight edge.

His distaste for sexist bullshit is genuine.

Chris....is a little annoying on twitter with his "no one should find this *popular meme* funny it's stupid"

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Famethrowa posted:

Jay was referring to hating "posers" and "sellouts" for peer approval since he was part of the hardcore scene. He's mentioned it before, along with his dabbling in straight edge.
Totally. And a lot of my dude's fame an accolades have come from him hating on stuff (anime roll call or whatever that song was called, his current podcast), so it's really in the forefront of his mind, and he doesn't wanna be defined only by being a hater.

But creatively hating on nerds or certain styles of music isn't anywhere near the same as hating racism and sexism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I really loving appreciate when they pause to call the racist and sexist and etc poo poo in these books bullshit because somehow in this day and age it is not a guarantee that someone is, in fact, going to know it's bullshit.