Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

To someone who doesn't know anything going in, Vanquish at first glance can seem like a very janky and boring cover-shooter.
The game doesn't do a good job at getting you to play it the fun way, boosting around and shooting dudes while flying through the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
vanquish is drat fun and the final fistfight where you punch the crap out of 2 flying robots owns

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I wish this game was coming out on Steam at the same date.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think you're forgetting it sits behind a very bland tutorial with very stupid dialogue and also a cutscene with, shall we say, Heavy Anime Elements (and an 18-wheeler delivering a heaping helping of Steven Blum ham)?

One of them gave up, btw, when after multi minutes of cutscenes she didn't care about, she ran Sam down a corridor for about 10 seconds - and into more cutscenes.

Now I personally think that Vanquish is extremely excellent and the first level does, in fact, own - but we're talking about why Platinum ended up with other people's IPs. And the answer is that their stories, plots, and characters are all off-putting to the average person, which is who they needed to appeal to for mainstream success. So much of video gaming is sold on flash and hype and those initial impressions to trailers - and Platinum just falls down in this area. I'm not saying that it's fair, just that it's reality.

I did forget about the tutorial part :(

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Vanquish sold over 800k copies which is pretty good for an apparently offputting anime game that Sega made zero attempt to sell.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

All of the people that didn't buy Vanquish, because it's almost unimpeachable on a pure gameplay level.

It's almost perfect except for the part where it's an ultra-fast paced FPS on a gamepad. Had Vanquish come out on PC it'd have been legendary. On console it's that-one-platinum-game-nobody-remembers-for-long.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

DatonKallandor posted:

It's almost perfect except for the part where it's an ultra-fast paced FPS on a gamepad. Had Vanquish come out on PC it'd have been legendary. On console it's that-one-platinum-game-nobody-remembers-for-long.

Titanfall 2 is an ultra-fast paced FPS and it's doing just fine on consoles, actually. In fact I would say a lot of Vanquish's DNA made it into Titanfall.

(I'm actually super glad we're discussing Vanquish, btw, it rules)

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan

Titanfall 2 is an ultra-fast paced FPS and it's doing just fine on consoles, actually. In fact I would say a lot of Vanquish's DNA made it into Titanfall.

(I'm actually super glad we're discussing Vanquish, btw, it rules)
Definitely agree about Titanfall 2. Before it released, the gameplay footage always reminded me of Vanquish, which was a huge draw for me. I play the MP almost daily and would argue that it's the best shooter on the market at the moment. It's as close as we'll ever get to a Vanquish sequel.

Vanquish is definitely my favorite PlatinumGames title, but Nier Automata might edge it out.

Brainamp posted:

I wish Bayonetta 2 had come out on any other system besides the wii u. Also W101.
Likewise. I bought both of them and was planning on getting a Wii U, but never got around to it. Hopefully they get Switch ports, since it's pretty likely that I'll be getting that system.

ETURNA fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 10, 2017

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I wish Bayonetta 2 had come out on any other system besides the wii u. Also W101.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Anarchy Reigns is literally one of the funnest party games in the world. It's the new version of Kung Fu Chaos and honestly I'm still salty about it not finding an audience.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Brainamp posted:

Nintendo paid for those games' development and nobody cared.

If you didn't buy a Wii U you are a bad Platinum fan.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

FedEx Mercury posted:

Same. I was really hyped for the game, but if it takes a year to come out on PC like Revengeance I might just wait for a sale.

Edit: I just saw that a normal PS4 is only 250€ nowadays. Can you play most games fine with the non-pro version?
If I find a few other exclusives to make it worthwhile, that might be an option.

Eezee fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 10, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Eezee posted:

Can you play most games fine with the non-pro version?

yeah and neir runs smooth on it

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Eezee posted:

Same. I was really hyped for the game, but if it takes a year to come out on PC like Revengeance I might just wait for a sale.

Edit: I just saw that a normal PS4 is only 250€ nowadays. Can you play most games fine with the non-pro version?
If I find a few other exclusives to make it worthwhile, that might be an option.

Revengence wasn't announced for PC when it was first released. Nier has been announced for PC from the onset. I'm hoping for a sooner rather than later release date.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah and neir runs smooth on it

At 900p apparently. Not that I noticed, but it's worth mentioning.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I guess I'm one of those people that gave up on Vanquish when I tried it. The first level didn't really leave much of an impression on me as well, but what I think the game really lacked though was coop. I played most of the Gears of War games this way and if this game had couch-coop it would have been awesome. I'm still planning on beating it someday though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

first time i played vanquish i couldn't figure out how to beat the first boss. then i got gud and its the best shooter of all time

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

FedEx Mercury posted:

Eh console players will be beta testers

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Jack Trades posted:

Are there any well made and complete Nier LPs? I don't own a console but I'd like to get a full experience out of Automata.

Not an LP, but this guy is doing an analysis of Nier in preparation for the release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnwEbOHo7Aw

Now whether you'd rather listen to a youtube personality do the youtube personality thing or watch someone play Nier over and over again to get the whole story is between you and your therapist.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Genocyber posted:

At 900p apparently. Not that I noticed, but it's worth mentioning.

Locked 60 fps is approximately a billion times more important for that game than higher resolution.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mysterious frankie posted:

Not an LP, but this guy is doing an analysis of Nier in preparation for the release

Now whether you'd rather listen to a youtube personality do the youtube personality thing or watch someone play Nier over and over again to get the whole story is between you and your therapist.

super best friends did a decent nier all endings play through this summer. all they skipped was the weapon collection stuff by doing it off camera.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Brutakas posted:

Revengence wasn't announced for PC when it was first released. Nier has been announced for PC from the onset. I'm hoping for a sooner rather than later release date.

Yeah there's no real technical reason for it, just Sony staging out a timed exclusive. I'm sure it won't take a year, hopefully just a month or so.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Anarchy Reigns is literally one of the funnest party games in the world. It's the new version of Kung Fu Chaos and honestly I'm still salty about it not finding an audience.

I'm really sad that game didn't get to live longer and I'm real mad sega totally hosed up its release

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

mysterious frankie posted:

I gotta say I personally really dislike this guy. His humor is very /v/ which I find obnoxious and he doesn't really cover anything you can't just quickly read from The Dark Id's LPs (which I reckon he did)

Nina fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 11, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Nina posted:

I gotta say I personally really dislike this guy. His humor is very /v/ which I find obnoxious and he doesn't really cover anything you can't just quickly read from The Dark Id's LPs (which I reckon he did)

The Dark Id's LP will take you longer than 40min tho.

That said, I watched this weirdos insufferable "analysis" of Drakengard 3 and it was pretty much unintelligible for someone like me who hasn't played it. I thought it must just be a confusing game. Later I went through an actual LP and found out that, while it is a bizarre game, it is more intelligible than his "hilarious" mini sketches about context-free weird moments made it seem. Don't waste your time on him.

I wish the goon who did a recap of Drakengard 1 during his incomplete Nier LP had done that for the whole series. It was comprehensible, and the format of just telling it straight to a friend who was new to the series, letting the humor come from the guy's genuine wtf reactions, was entertaining.

As is, best fast way to catch up is probably to watch the best friends play lp at 4x speed or something.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Vanquishs' story is that russian robots have taken over the space microwave(and popcorned a city with it) and now Not-Hillary is sending you, ex football player turned super soldier, plus the entire american space army to get it back.

If you can't genuinely appreciate how stupid that premise is then I don't know what to tell you.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Mindblast posted:

ex football player turned super soldier

I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly but an ex football quarterback that smokes put off a lot of pale sad nerds.
Vanquish is the best and I need to play it again (for the fourth time).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mindblast posted:

Vanquishs' story is that russian robots have taken over the space microwave(and popcorned a city with it) and now Not-Hillary is sending you, ex football player turned super soldier, plus the entire american space army to get it back.

If you can't genuinely appreciate how stupid that premise is then I don't know what to tell you.

It ends on a cliffhanger with the bad guy winning and shoves unskippable "walk slowly while talking on a codec" scenes in your face after every other gunfight.

Vanquish's plot was awful.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

There's lots of things with awesome premises that botch the execution. Vanquish's story was one of them. Lucky for us, the gameplay wasn't.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I honestly zoned out of the plot bout halfway through.

You can bet I was confused when the president shot herself

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Nina posted:

His humor is the worst and, yeah, he's only worth watching if you want to get a quick idea of what each game leading up to Automata is about. If he stopped trying to be wacky it would be serviceable (and half the runtime), but he won't, so... that is that. I've read the summaries of the Drakengard games and Nier before and mostly got it, but seeing something visual made everything click a little better. I didn't want to invest a bunch of time and money in a ps3 & the games, or just a bunch of time in LPs, so this worked for me.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I tried the video's as well and the only reason why they made even remote sense to me was because the video's aided in recalling all the lp's I fully followed for all the games(minus 2 because it is 2). So if you're totally new then, in my opinion, skip this Clemps fellow entirely because it will just leave you confused(and possible annoyed jesus christ he is rather... special).

If anything he proves that there's too much weird happening in these games to compress into 15-20 min video's and you should indeed experience the games through an LP or give them a crack yourself.*

*pick an LP. Save yourself.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Just play Nier, it's cheap and it's maybe 24 hours?
I'm sure if you don't have one you can find someone to lend you a 360/ps3 for a few days.
There's a really good chance you'll have no reason to get involved with the Drakengard main line series.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Oxxidation posted:

shoves unskippable "walk slowly while talking on a codec" scenes in your face after every other gunfight.

Those conversations were masking the loading scenes

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
thanks a lot for reminding me of how great vanquish was >:[

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

lets hang out posted:

Vanquish sold over 800k copies which is pretty good for an apparently offputting anime game that Sega made zero attempt to sell.

SEGA said that Vanquish's sales didn't meet their sales expectations. The publisher tended to have inflated expectations of what the Platinum developed games would sell, such as expecting Anarchy Reigns to sell between Vanquish (800K) and Bayonetta (1.1 Million). At the same time, SEGA was probably one of few publishers willing to give an upstart Japanese studio a multi-game deal with a high level of creative freedom at the time.

Around 2012 was when SEGA went on a huge cancellation spree and pivoted to mobile/PC since most of their console games were huge bombs. They're doing much better now with their mobile games and Total War: Warhammer performing well.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Whoa I didn't even realize just how much 9S resembles the original design for Nier until I ran into the concept art again

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Fortitude posted:

He could probably make a pretty great Shin Megami Tensei game. A very hosed up one, but still.

I don't think you're wrong. I would love to see him helm a spin-off title. Hell, give him Devil Summoner, that series can kinda be whatever it wants.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I don't think you're wrong. I would love to see him helm a spin-off title. Hell, give him Devil Summoner, that series can kinda be whatever it wants.

Let's be serious here.

SMT is already incredibly hosed up. Hand him a mainline title. I wanna see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
As a huge fan of the Raidou Kuzunoha spinoff series I literally could not be MORE for the idea of Taro Yoko directing an entry in it.