Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Cender posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivej0OW7WZk

In case you need a season one recat.

Sphynx cats as belters. Nice touch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cender posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivej0OW7WZk

In case you need a season one recap.
My stepmother helped with filming that, apparently.

Things have been pretty bad in her life recently, and she said she was getting out to do some parody thing with cats, which I thought was odd, but good for her to work through things by getting out and doing stuff... and then it turned out it was a parody of the Expanse for Syfy and holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo that's adorable.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Eiba posted:

Things have been pretty bad in her life recently, and she said she was getting out to do some parody thing with cats, which I thought was odd, but good for her to work through things by getting out and doing stuff... and then it turned out it was a parody of the Expanse for Syfy and holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo that's adorable.

I love the belters being furless cats my god

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Nice, Syfy. What the hell!

quote:

This channel is not available in your country.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Combat Pretzel posted:

quote:
This channel is not available in your country.

Nice, Syfy. What the hell!

Well, it seems like they are easing your conscious about alternate methods.

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

Eiba posted:

That's pretty awesome. Glad she's doing something fun that is getting shared around the net.

I need to watch the recat recap again, apparently I missed a litter scoop in the sand on Mars.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
hahaha

Only registered members can see post attachments!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
That image needs to be his picture in the OP for season 2.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Along with the one that reads "Julie Meow"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just put the whole video in. It's a work of genius, i literally had tears the first time with Miller and the dead cat.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Where is a cat shaved to have Naomi's hair???

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Oooo blue yarn :3:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
It's a travesty that there was no Meowmi Nagata or Amos Purrton.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Needs more belter cats.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

2017 is starting to grow on me.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That cat totally nailed the Detective Miller expression.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

make a whole spin off series with those cats

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Milky Moor posted:

It's a travesty that there was no Meowmi Nagata or Amos Purrton.

Oh my god. Amos Purrton.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I love the belters being furless cats my god

The Belters as emaciated techno-poverty cyberpunks with 80's club hair is the best goddamn part of this show. Miller-Cat is perfect.

Somehow, this show reminds me of Exosquad. Which is a good thing. Exosquad was 1000x better than it needed to be.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

withak posted:

That cat totally nailed the Detective Miller expression.

that cat is in no way sweaty or drunk. not canon.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

uber_stoat posted:

that cat is in no way sweaty or drunk. not canon.
Detective Meowler ends his days buried in a bowl of catnip.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
I don't think anybody told the dude in the cat recap how to to pronounce Avasarala. It added a little something. I dig it.

Also deep cut season 2 potential spoilers from a dirty book reader:

Prax Meow

Gr4vyB04t fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 12, 2017

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Physics question: wouldn't Earthers be goddamn formidable in any kind of physical fight?

Earthers have significant bone density and muscle mass because we develop in the gravity well of a big goddamn planet, right? Even Mars is only something like 0.4g, to say nothing of the fractional gravity of the Moon or asteroid stations in the Belt or whatever. "Bones like chalk" and all that.

If a Belter got into a fistfight with a native Earther, you'd think the Earther would be an absolute beast. Gravity on Ceres would be less than 1/10th that of Earth, so someone newly arrived from Earth should have a musculature acclimated to everyday poo poo being 10x "heavier," right? If you regularly lifted 50kg free weights at the Earth gym, wouldn't it be the work equivalent of lifting 500kg weights on Ceres?

What I'm getting at is that unless Belters are hitting the gym like crazy themselves or have some kind of simulated gravity training or something, they probably shouldn't pick bar fights with Earthers. It'd be like a regular dude loving with Hafthor Julius Bjornnson, who could likely punch you into a mist.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hell, i'd love to get into a fist fight with an alien.

I'd box it's goddamn ears.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Xealot posted:

Physics question: wouldn't Earthers be goddamn formidable in any kind of physical fight?

Earthers have significant bone density and muscle mass because we develop in the gravity well of a big goddamn planet, right? Even Mars is only something like 0.4g, to say nothing of the fractional gravity of the Moon or asteroid stations in the Belt or whatever. "Bones like chalk" and all that.

If a Belter got into a fistfight with a native Earther, you'd think the Earther would be an absolute beast. Gravity on Ceres would be less than 1/10th that of Earth, so someone newly arrived from Earth should have a musculature acclimated to everyday poo poo being 10x "heavier," right? If you regularly lifted 50kg free weights at the Earth gym, wouldn't it be the work equivalent of lifting 500kg weights on Ceres?

What I'm getting at is that unless Belters are hitting the gym like crazy themselves or have some kind of simulated gravity training or something, they probably shouldn't pick bar fights with Earthers. It'd be like a regular dude loving with Hafthor Julius Bjornnson, who could likely punch you into a mist.

Ceres, Eros, and some of the other large ports in the belt have been given enough spin to simulate about 0.3g, and everyone living off Earth does have a daily exercise regimen that they seem mostly to stick to. That said, Earthers are generally described as being more solidly built, and they tolerate rapid acceleration better.

Edit: typos

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 12, 2017

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Xealot posted:

I think in the books they mention the that Mars could never win a ground war against Earth, but also that's never stopped anyone who's been drunk ever from picking a fight ever in the history of fighting and drinking.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Please for the Magicians also? The Meowgicians?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Muffinlord posted:

I think in the books they mention the that Mars could never win a ground war against Earth, but also that's never stopped anyone who's been drunk ever from picking a fight ever in the history of fighting and drinking.

People born on Earth would also quickly lose the density advantage over the course of a year or so in space. Astronauts that spend any significant amount of time in space have to spend a decent amount of time after their mission on a strict nutrient and exercise regimen to get their Earth legs back.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

People born on Earth would also quickly lose the density advantage over the course of a year or so in space. Astronauts that spend any significant amount of time in space have to spend a decent amount of time after their mission on a strict nutrient and exercise regimen to get their Earth legs back.

IIRC they also have to do a significant amount of mandatory exercise every day they're up there as well

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They have magic space drugs that can deal with that though. I mean if they have ones that can bulk up a Belter enough to live on a planet they can surely keep an Earther in shape.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why don't the space people just spin their poo poo a bit faster?

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

They have magic space drugs that can deal with that though. I mean if they have ones that can bulk up a Belter enough to live on a planet they can surely keep an Earther in shape.

Yeah, in one of the first episodes they talk about the cheap bone density drugs the belters get. The one belter shows Havelock that Miller has spurs on the back of his neck from them.

Baronjutter posted:

In the books they say that spinning Ceres up to 0.3g was one of the greatest engineering accomplishments of the Tycho corporation, so maybe it was too hard? Could also have to do with the coriolis effect. It's already noticeable on Ceres (the scene with Miller pouring his drink) at 0.3g. Maybe spinning Ceres enough to give a full g would make it too high for comfort.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yeah I imagine spinning a whole asteroid with an ant-colony like structure inside is a lot harder than just getting your big O'Neil cylinder up to 1g. All the belter habitats seem pretty improvised or an after thought. "hey we're mining this asteroid out, let's spin it so parts of it have tolerable gravity I guess" rather than "let's build a perfect 1g habitat with the primary goal being a space city"

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Baronjutter posted:

An asteroid may not be a solid hunk of iron ore but a gravel pile loosely held together by gravity. Or there may be fissures and structural weaknesses in the rock. Spinning too hard might cause the whole thing to fall to pieces with obviously bad consequences for the inhabitants.

Also above 1-2 RPM even the most acclimated individuals will suffer from horrible vertigo.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I thought part of it was that .3g was comfortable. Any less than that and you have trouble actually working and moving and stuff. Any more than that... what's the point? So your dockworkers can hold their own against Earthers in a fistfight? Seems like .3g is a necessary minimum, and so they naturally would never go above it.

Not to mention, .3g is coincidentally about what Mars has, so if you spun your asteroids any more they'd end up being uncomfortable for visiting Martians.

Edit: Also, I thought it was implied that most Belters are hosed up because they don't even get that .3g. Only a small minority of Belters live in places like Ceres. Most of them spend most of their lives in ships, with incredibly variable apparent gravity.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

An asteroid may not be a solid hunk of iron ore but a gravel pile loosely held together by gravity. Or there may be fissures and structural weaknesses in the rock. Spinning too hard might cause the whole thing to fall to pieces with obviously bad consequences for the inhabitants.

Also above 1-2 RPM even the most acclimated individuals will suffer from horrible vertigo.
Well spinning it up so it feels like .3g away from the center of the asteroid would already take care of all that gravel!

I always thought it was mind boggling that Ceres in this setting is spinning so that space is below you, and the mass of the planet is effectively above you. Those scenes in the airlock really confused me when I first saw the show, but that's how it'd work- if you opened the airlock, you'd fall out of the planet into the void of space.

It's neat.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 12, 2017

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I would like an hour long 'the science of the Expanse' special, because it would be cool and interesting even if I know most of it already.

Maybe not for another season or two, though. I really like the stuff about (not a plot spoiler but just in case) Ganymede being the bread basket / nursery of the outer planets because it's the only moon with a magnetosphere so it gets less rems from Jupiter than everything around it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah if you're spinning something like a lumpy asteroid that you're mining you'll certainly need to worry about structural integrity. Which is why asteroid's are good for mining but poo poo for living in, you want a purpose built space-tube for livin'

Also in an asteroid you'd have very variable gravity depending on how deep you are. Something like

Maybe only the dark gray area is .3g, with less and less as you move towards the centre of mass. Also as you move vertically through a space like this the coriolis effect would be really weird and uncomfortable, so something like those subway train things you'd feel some really hosed up forces if moving from inner to outer areas, like you'd' be getting pushed up against the side of the train/elevator.
With spin-based gravity you want something like a ring or a tube so everyone is living at the same distance from the centre. Even on a huge multi-km wide ring you'd still feel it going up in an elevator, the faster the elevator the more noticeable. The bigger the diameter of the colony though, the more comfortable. An o'neill cylinder only needs to rotate at about 0.3 rpm to get a perfect 1g, so quite comfortable.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
0.3g is horrible to work in unless everyone had gravity boots or something. Imagine you have the same mass and inertia of your body but only 1/3 the friction for your feet. It would be like walking on ice, and you won't have any leverage to do any manual labor without being strapped down.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always imagined the inside of a belter asteroid to be something like this "dumbbell" design but just inside an asteroid. Except they ran out of space at healthy g's so just started making habitation zones all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

On this point, do the Expanse books go into Venus at all? Floating Venus cities in the upper atmosphere are one of my favorite hypothetical off-Earth colony ideas. And the gravity there would be 0.9g or so.

You'd think luxury floating estates for wealthy Earthers would be a thing in this universe. Like Columbia from BioShock, but less white.

• Locked thread