Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
:same:

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

those graphs look like mountains!!!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Phht, those numbers go all over the place. You can't expect me to believe the number of climbers, accents and deaths are correlated. These things happen in cycles.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
someone should make a new thread. are there any mountains that are unclimbed because they just kill everyone as opposed to people aren't allowed to climb them?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

k2 probably has the most impressive list of kills, but no

all the mountains left with no recorded summits are either illegal to climb or crazy super isolated in the artic/antartic

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
any of the famous mountains have ascents that are possible but have killed everyone then?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
IIRC, there's routes up Everest itself that have killed something like 50 or 75% of the ten or so people who have ever attempted them. (With the reason for so few attempts being that they're so ridiculously dangerous that you only try them if desperate to do something almost nobody has done.)

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

BobHoward posted:

IIRC, there's routes up Everest itself that have killed something like 50 or 75% of the ten or so people who have ever attempted them. (With the reason for so few attempts being that they're so ridiculously dangerous that you only try them if desperate to do something almost nobody has done.)

I believe you're referring to the north face ascent done in winter?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

DumbparameciuM posted:

I believe you're referring to the north face ascent done in winter?
:poland:

quote:

Strong wind blows all the time. It is unimaginably cold. -Radio message from the summit of Everest, February 17, 1980

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

OMGVBFLOL posted:

k2 probably has the most impressive list of kills, but no

all the mountains left with no recorded summits are either illegal to climb or crazy super isolated in the artic/antartic

Eh, there's loads of stuff left in Tibet and Kyrgyzstan at least. The ones left are either lower, like 5000m, or more isolated though. I know for a fact two swedish amateurs and a slovenian dude did a first ascent in either Tibet or Nepal last year, which was real climbing but nothing really extreme. There's also entire unexplored valleys and stuff in India and Pakistan where the military are really restrictive with permits, but there are a few serious mountaineers who do it every year.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Syncopated posted:

Eh, there's loads of stuff left in Tibet and Kyrgyzstan at least. The ones left are either lower, like 5000m, or more isolated though. I know for a fact two swedish amateurs and a slovenian dude did a first ascent in either Tibet or Nepal last year, which was real climbing but nothing really extreme. There's also entire unexplored valleys and stuff in India and Pakistan where the military are really restrictive with permits, but there are a few serious mountaineers who do it every year.

Wow. Shows what I know. It's bonkers to me how huge and sparse the Himalayas are.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Jose posted:

someone should make a new thread. are there any mountains that are unclimbed because they just kill everyone as opposed to people aren't allowed to climb them?

and maybe move back to gbs

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

elwood posted:

and maybe move back to gbs

bring back everest thread

it's almost death watch season :mad:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Minrad posted:

bring back everest thread

it's almost death watch season :mad:
https://twitter.com/alan_arnette/status/818188187063513090

https://twitter.com/alan_arnette/status/820373186692972548

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 17, 2017

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Here's the GPS tracker for the current winter ascent.
I'm the guy to his left.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Wow. Shows what I know. It's bonkers to me how huge and sparse the Himalayas are.

If you're interested https://www.alpinist.com writes about stuff like that, they also do an actual magazine.

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web17w/newswire-xialongrezha Here's one article, apparently the maps didn't even have the right height of the mountain.
http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web15y/newswire-sherpa-americans-climb-first-ascents-rolwaling-himal Three nepalese sherpas do 3 unclimbed 6000 m-peaks in 3 days.
Pretty cool stuff!

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
From the bootleg thread:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Happy to find this thread. I've been fascinated by the extreme mountaineering on both K2 and Everest. Read a few books, seen a few docos and it never stops being weird or addictive. I think the documentary The Dark Side Of Everest probably sums up the madness: the morality of the death zone isn't settled, and gets tested every year, because the addiction is equally strong. Personally I'm on the side of Cathy O'Dowd and friends when they say it's mostly too extreme a place for altruism, much as it might be desired.

The Summit, although about K2, illustrates much better the confusion when a group of people are fiddling about in 30% oxygen starvation and try to explain what happened later. Imagine the carnage if the tourists figure out where the real fun is.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME

ewe2 posted:

Imagine the carnage if the tourists figure out where the real fun is.

Good news mate

^ That was K2 basecamp last year.

Also lets not forget Chinas plans to put luxury hotels on their EBC, they want it to be like the Eiger Nordwand or some poo poo. Watch the death tolls zoom up as the weak and infirm tourists brains pop due to cerebral edema just from being at base camp level :laffo:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

DumbparameciuM posted:

Good news mate

:stonklol: Of loving course. I hope the entire loving serac falls on them. Just moronic, not simply not learning from Everest, but not learning from 2008, the utter failure to coordinate some of the best mountaineers in the world on a perfect climbing day and a traffic jam under the most dangerous serac on the most dangerous mountain. It does rather sound like the Chinese want to cash in, doesn't it.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

DumbparameciuM posted:

Good news mate

Also lets not forget Chinas plans to put luxury hotels on their EBC, they want it to be like the Eiger Nordwand or some poo poo. Watch the death tolls zoom up as the weak and infirm tourists brains pop due to cerebral edema just from being at base camp level :laffo:

You can hear the mountain....

"Yes, come my children. Alllll are welcome, come to me..."

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's exactly what I thought about.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
Annual Everest thread 2017: ALL GIFTS ARE ACCEPTED BY ARANAKTU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

DumbparameciuM posted:

Annual Everest thread 2017: ALL GIFTS ARE ACCEPTED BY CHOMOLUNGMA

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

redleader posted:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

AceRimmer posted:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DumbparameciuM posted:

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

redleader posted:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

DumbparameciuM posted:

Annual Everest thread 2017: ALL GIFTS ARE ACCEPTED BY ARANAKTU

someone who cares more than me needs to make a good op and launch the 2017 thread

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Serak fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 24, 2017

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Now just color that cast neon green and we have :perfect:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lunsku posted:

We need a yellow parka too.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Lunsku posted:

A good idea is a good idea. Updated.

ewe2 posted:

We need a yellow parka too.

Thought about it, but pushing my skills there.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
My immersion!

Everest is the dark mountain in the back not the one in the front (thats Nuptse).

elwood fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 24, 2017

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

elwood posted:

My immersion!

Everste is the dark mountain in the back not the one in the front (thats Nuptse).

Getting the mountain wrong is an error more fundamental than even I can stand - fixed.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
That cartoon has summitted the peak of comedy. I'm dying over here!

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
That is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in these threads.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-38728388

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How long until Nepal builds a meter tall pile of rocks at the summit?