Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i hope they do the mother and the whore / mes petites amoureuses. and i would like them to release the pedro costa movies that aren't in the set theyve already released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

oh and more jacques rivettes but cohen media group already snatched up a ton

edit: they also need to give rereleases/bd upgrades to the oop 60s godards

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 19, 2017

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
With their recent releases of a couple Coen Bros. movies, I hope this means editions of Barton Fink and Miller's Crossing down the road

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^ Kino has announced they are releasing Barton Fink this year

Maxwell Lord posted:

My big "get", and I don't think they even have the rights to this, would be Cronenberg's Crash.

Warner brothers has the rights to this, and it's not even on blu rat. I hope criterion gets it and if not them shout

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ratedargh posted:

With their recent releases of a couple Coen Bros. movies, I hope this means editions of Barton Fink and Miller's Crossing down the road

I'm hoping for O Brother Where Art Thou? myself. I rewatched that the other day and it's still so good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wish Criterion had more animated stuff in general. Right now all we have are Fantastic Planet, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Watership Down, right? Any of Bill Plympton or Sylvain Chomet's films would be right at home in the collection.

I thought there were rumors of them doing The Plague Dogs after Watership Down, which would be cool.

I would be so down for a Bill Plympton collection. Or a Jan Svankmeyer one.

Ratedargh posted:

Miller's Crossing has a decent enough blu, but Barton Fink desperately needs one so I've been pulling hard for that.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Cloks posted:

Anomalisa would be a good one to get. Maybe Secret of Kells and or Song of the Sea.

I hope they don't add Secret of Kells, that movie is horrible besides the gorgeous animation.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wish Criterion had more animated stuff in general. Right now all we have are Fantastic Planet, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Watership Down, right? Any of Bill Plympton or Sylvain Chomet's films would be right at home in the collection.

I'm shocked they didn't jump on Belladonna of Sadness, frankly.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I thought there were rumors of them doing The Plague Dogs after Watership Down, which would be cool.

Yeah, The Plague Dogs rules, but I remember sending an email, like, a year ago after snatching up the Watership Down DVD and whoever answered me said they currently had no plans to release The Plague Dogs. Sad.

GonSmithe posted:

I hope they don't add Secret of Kells, that movie is horrible besides the gorgeous animation.

Nah.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
As far as upgrades go, I'm still waiting on a blu-ray for Le Samourai.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'd love to see Criterion get the rights to Norman McLaren's films and do an updated complete set. There was a DVD set released via Home Vision about a decade ago that was really good, but it's been OOP for years. NFB Canada has a lot of the films online from what seem to be new HD restorations.

Criminal Minded posted:

As far as upgrades go, I'm still waiting on a blu-ray for Le Samourai.

They put a new HD master on Filmstruck. A Blu was released in France, but the master was garbage quality.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Where the gently caress is Mickey One?

bobkatt013 posted:

and it's not even on blu rat

the cuddliest format

eh

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Does anyone have that link that listed potential and likely releases?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

http://criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23

Take with a grain of salt since some are kind of a stretch. They really ought to cite sources...

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Pumped for Polyester, I hope it comes with Smellovision cards.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Looks like that thread got deleted. Any word on what it contained?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Looks like that thread got deleted. Any word on what it contained?

It loaded fine for me, it's just a list of potentially upcoming titles like:

2017 New Years Clues:

Certains:
Ghost World
Fanny, Cesar, Marius
16 Candles
Stalker
Dheepan
They Live by Night
Mysterious Object at Noon
Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles upgrade
Arsenic and Old Lace
Polyester
A Wedding
----
Best other guesses:
Night of the Living Dead
Roman Holiday
Princess Bride
West Side Story

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion getting Parajanov's films would be awesome. I'd pay full price for either Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors or The Color of Pomegranates.

Also, it looks like Miramax's rights lapsed on Chungking Express and it's currently undergoing a 4K remaster by Janus Films.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, it looks like Miramax's rights lapsed on Chungking Express and it's currently undergoing a 4K remaster by Janus Films.

yesssss fuckkkk

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

gently caress that give me a version of The Grandmaster without Weinstein fuckery. And while I'm wishlisting, let's put Hero and other Zhang Yimou films there too.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Essential Ken Russell, please.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've mentioned it before, but picking up the oeuvre of Yuriy Norshteyn's work would be amazing considering it's a) never been publicly available in the states in anything remotely resembling decent quality (only VHS-era video with hard subs on DVD, at least officially) and b) it's not even on Blu-ray in Russia, only DVD.

Not going to happen though, since I imagine the rights are a nightmare.

Realistically?

GrandpaPants posted:

And while I'm wishlisting, let's put Hero and other Zhang Yimou films there too.

This. I would love to see Raise the Red Lantern and To Live remastered in HD.

Semi-comedy answer: Get the person who's in charge of restoring their music-related movies to do a proper release of True Stories. The best media available today is a hard-to-find Region 4 DVD (with corresponding 25fps pull-up) since R1 only got a now-possibly-OOP pan-and-scan DVD back in 1999.

And as for upgrades, there's still The Burmese Harp and La Strada, on top of the already rumored The Human Condition, Dersu Uzala and Mishima, among numerous others.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 19, 2017

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

K. Waste posted:

Yeah, The Plague Dogs rules, but I remember sending an email, like, a year ago after snatching up the Watership Down DVD and whoever answered me said they currently had no plans to release The Plague Dogs. Sad.

There's a facebook page trying to get it released on bluray. Not much action but they did get a few responses:

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
Is it weird that out of that list, the one I'd be most excited for is The Princess Bride? :v:

And I'd buy a Criterion version of Persepolis.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Stalker would be amazing, I've had such a tough time tracking that down and its never available on any streaming services.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Semi-comedy answer: Get the person who's in charge of restoring their music-related movies to do a proper release of True Stories. The best media available today is a hard-to-find Region 4 DVD (with corresponding 25fps pull-up) since R1 only got a now-possibly-OOP pan-and-scan DVD back in 1999.

Why semi-comedy? It's brilliant as a music film and satire, and I've never seen anything else quite like it. I think it should at least qualify under the same criteria that's led them to release other visionary cult films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA15oCKCYHM

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Stalker would be amazing, I've had such a tough time tracking that down and its never available on any streaming services.

Someone could very likely correct me here but I legit think the best quality version is somewhere on YouTube. The recent Artificial Eye blu is....not good.

e: it was on the Mosfilm channel but looks like it's been taken down. The Mirror is still up, though.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 19, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FilmStruck has the restored Stalker.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Swimming to Cambodia and Home of the Brave would just about kill me. I was hoping for more Spalding Gray after Gray's Anatomy.

Rollersnake posted:

Why semi-comedy? It's brilliant as a music film and satire, and I've never seen anything else quite like it. I think it should at least qualify under the same criteria that's led them to release other visionary cult films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA15oCKCYHM

True Stories is straight up one of the best films of the 80s.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I still would love to see an actual restored nice version of The Red and the White. The kino DVD looks like crap and I think Criterion could do a good job with it.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The_Rob posted:

I still would love to see an actual restored nice version of The Red and the White. The kino DVD looks like crap and I think Criterion could do a good job with it.

If we're nominating Kino DVDs that should become Criterion Blu-rays, I nominate Come and See.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Egbert Souse posted:

FilmStruck has the restored Stalker.

The Kino DVD is still widely available too, it's even on sale from their website right now for under $10.

That being said, if you've never seen it, might as well hold out for the blu ray

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Miller's Crossing has a decent enough blu, but Barton Fink desperately needs one so I've been pulling hard for that.

Looking at the Blu for Miller's Crossing...it still seems to be awfully spare of special features. This is true for the bulk of their releases. O Brother would be a great addition, too. Fingers crossed!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ratedargh posted:

Looking at the Blu for Miller's Crossing...it still seems to be awfully spare of special features. This is true for the bulk of their releases. O Brother would be a great addition, too. Fingers crossed!

I feel like the best extra for Miller's Crossing would be just including The Glass Key as a bonus feature.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Ooooh, I've never seen The Glass Key! That would be great!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Kino DVD is still widely available too, it's even on sale from their website right now for under $10.

That being said, if you've never seen it, might as well hold out for the blu ray

Goddamn that is tempting. I knew about that DVD but I've never seen it at such a reasonable price. I really didn't like the idea of paying $30+ for a DVD.

I think I probably will just hold out for the blu ray though if its really happening. I already have the Solaris Criterion, so may as well stick with them for all of my Tarkovsky needs.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Definitely hold off for Stalker, since it's pretty much confirmed for this year.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
If we're talking wish lists, I'd love to see:

Diva (yeah, I know it's all about the rights)
The Big Night
Map of the Human Heart

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/janusfilms/status/822479531441319937 hell yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I'd love for American Honey to get a release since they already have Fish Tank. And since it seems so very appropriate for the label, The Assassin.