Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Decus posted:

it's just poorly thought out and has absolutely nothing going for it these days.

Gen 1 & 2 compared to gen 3.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What quests do I need to do to expand the Trader capabilities (more carts + increased item selection)? Not being able to farm Blue Mushrooms right away is a drag.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
The prowler quests are what you need to do, but they are petty easy.

e: some of the villager requests/quests get you trade routes while prowler is just more carts

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I think raising your hunter rank eventually unlocks the carts too, if you want to go that route.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

BlancoNino posted:

The prowler quests are what you need to do, but they are petty easy.

e: some of the villager requests/quests get you trade routes while prowler is just more carts

Do you know which quests specifically, or which questgivers I need to look for?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
At least Khezu is an easy fight (and a cutie), but Basarios & Gravios are unfun and kick my rear end. The combination of bouncing and lovely hitboxes make it a test of patience.

The less said about Cephadrome the better. Literally the worst designed fight in any videogame I've ever played.

e: also the raptor -dromes are not fun either, they jump way too much. Gendrome in particular has a habit of getting stuck in a "backwards jump, forwards jump" loop. I never fought the -ggis other than Great Jaggi so I dunno how those fights go, but the Great Maccao is a much better fight than the -dromes.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 22, 2017

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Your Computer posted:

At least Khezu is an easy fight (and a cutie), but Basarios & Gravios are unfun and kick my rear end. The combination of bouncing and lovely hitboxes make it a test of patience.

The less said about Cephadrome the better. Literally the worst designed fight in any videogame I've ever played.

e: also the raptor -dromes are not fun either, they jump way too much. Gendrome in particular has a habit of getting stuck in a "backwards jump, forwards jump" loop. I never fought the -ggis other than Great Jaggi so I dunno how those fights go, but the Great Maccao is a much better fight than the -dromes.

Agreed on all of this. Gen 1 monsters suck.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Do you know which quests specifically, or which questgivers I need to look for?

I found this on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/4tyb15/mhg_prowleronly_quests_unlocks_list_and_some_tips/

It appears to have all the relevant information.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Gen 1 monsters suck.

I didn't actually know they were all gen 1, but I just checked and... wow :psyduck: Almost all the bad and unfun monsters are from gen 1.shogun ceanataur is gen 2 tho and he's the worst

The newer monsters are are just so much better, whether it's AI, animations or hitboxes. I realize one of the big selling points of the series is how true it has stayed to itself (whether it's MHFU or MHGen, if you're fighting a Kut-Ku you're fighting a Kut-Ku) but seeing how basically all the things that have bothered me are from gen 1 I really wish they'd update them properly. For example they really want Rathalos to be this epic, iconic endgame-ish monster but fighting him feels like rear end compared to the newer monsters. Not because he's difficult but because he's a lovely fight.

They've gotten really good at making great monsters, so the contrast is just going to get worse.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Don't forget about my buddy Qurupeco. Such a better monster than stupid ugly Kut-Ku.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BMan posted:

Don't forget about my buddy Qurupeco. Such a better monster than stupid ugly Kut-Ku.

Some Kut-Ku's are okay

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Is there something weird about shogun ceanataur's forward rush attack or am I just an idiot? I seem to get caught in it and knocked down even when I'm not actually in front of him. (not touching you not touching you but then i get a traumatic amputation anyway)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Thanks, I'm HR3 so I might just rush to HR4 and not have to goof around with Prowler stuff.

New question- what are some good skills for Long Sword? I imagine Focus is one I'll want, but what else? I'm going down the Deepest Night tree so something that utilizes its high Affinity seems good (plus I won't need Sharpness+ to get white Sharpness with it)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 22, 2017

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Your Computer posted:

Some Kut-Ku's are okay

I can't hate Kut-ku because it's so goofy. I can however hate on its angry cousin Garuga.

Qurupeco needs to return. There's so many more monsters to call in!

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Soap dragon best dragon. It is known.

(I really tried to beat Mizutsune there, but even though I made it flee several times, I couldn't seal the deal before fainting a third time. The later encounter seemed a lot easier. Mizutsune didn't show up the 2nd time I attempted that particular mission, so either it's random or it's scripted to go off once?)

I didn't realize the first intro of the monsters had a bunch more HP than normal, but I managed to take down Glavenus with under 5 min to spare and 1 cart left. It was frustrating and I came on here to see if I was stupid bad or what. Found out you're not suppose to kill it. :doh: Still, I did manage to get some parts way before I was suppose to.

Also, I had 3U however I never managed to get far into it because I was new to the series and had no idea what I was doing. I just fought Lagiacrus in MHGen and it was tough, I could only imagine it in 3U geez. And having to fight it in the water. No thanks.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ziddar posted:

I can't hate Kut-ku because it's so goofy. I can however hate on its angry cousin Garuga.

Qurupeco needs to return. There's so many more monsters to call in!

Yian Garuga? More like Yian Garbagebird!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Is there something weird about shogun ceanataur's forward rush attack or am I just an idiot? I seem to get caught in it and knocked down even when I'm not actually in front of him. (not touching you not touching you but then i get a traumatic amputation anyway)

Nah, that's my experience too. His hitboxes are really dumb and bad, and he's one of the most annoying monsters to fight.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

C-Euro posted:

New question- what are some good skills for Long Sword? I imagine Focus is one I'll want, but what else? I'm going down the Deepest Night tree so something that utilizes its high Affinity seems good (plus I won't need Sharpness+ to get white Sharpness with it)

There aren't really any skills that are especially good for Long Sword specifically. Before MHGen, Evasion was mandatory.

The best skill for high affinity weapons is Attack Up.

BMan fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 22, 2017

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
So I have access to Lagiacrus armor (low rank) and Mizutsune armor sets. I'm wondering if I should abandon my hodgepodge ugly fashion that gives me Artillery Expert (the second tier if that's not the name) and almost Atkup +1 (need to find a piece with a slot). I'm playing Adept CB and figure with guard +1 or bubble +1 I could bulk myself up a bit more with my blocks or dodges since with some fights i'm still learning the timing on blocks and dodges. OR is that just pointless and shouldn't worry to much about it and go all in on artillery/attkup for now?

Another Q on CB: are the elemental/status affinity on the weapon apply on normal hits or on the phial consuming axe hits? And is it really something I should be looking for despite their relatively low potency? I'm eyeballing some cooler looking ones like the Mizutsune or Malfestio CB.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

C-Euro posted:

You don't really want focus. The formula for how much spirit you get per hit is based directly on the damage you inflict so you just want to increase that instead--you'll note that that's also why the bar fills faster as you go from white to yellow to red.

In Gen Weakness Exploit gives +50% affinity for hitting weak zones and is easy to combine with Attack Up, which the Narga line of swords really appreciates. From there you can easily add speed sharpen or with a lot more effort/mixing add razor sharp. Crit Boost is a goal, but not available until later really.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
I unironically love Garuga, it is completly bullshit, but it wears its bullshit on its sleave.
Besides, anything that you can clown with a blunt weapon prowler can't be that bad.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Your Computer posted:

Yian Garuga? More like Yian Garbagebird!

Nah, that's my experience too. His hitboxes are really dumb and bad, and he's one of the most annoying monsters to fight.

These little illustrations are cute. They'd make outstanding rubber duckies. :3:

The bleeding status is incredibly irritating and I could truly live without it. Other than that and the wonky hitboxes, he just seems like a palette swap of the daimyo, which is to say he's not terribly interesting and I probably wouldn't have missed not having two hermit crab hunts.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Decus posted:

You don't really want focus. The formula for how much spirit you get per hit is based directly on the damage you inflict so you just want to increase that instead--you'll note that that's also why the bar fills faster as you go from white to yellow to red.

In Gen Weakness Exploit gives +50% affinity for hitting weak zones and is easy to combine with Attack Up, which the Narga line of swords really appreciates. From there you can easily add speed sharpen or with a lot more effort/mixing add razor sharp. Crit Boost is a goal, but not available until later really.

So have fun grinding Rathalos and then Dreadking is what you're saying :v: I can deal with Rathalos at least.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Your Computer posted:

He's actually a really cool giant crab monster than you can hit so hard his pants fall off so he's the best monster.

Also if you use Centataur gunner armor you get a burly as hell claw hand and that's rad so it's the double best.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

keyboard vomit posted:

He's actually a really cool giant crab monster than you can hit so hard his pants fall off so he's the best monster.

Also if you use Centataur gunner armor you get a burly as hell claw hand and that's rad so it's the double best.

The best part about gunner gear are the crazy claws you get to have.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Is it possible to get radiant mucus from nakarkos shiny drops? Kiranico says you can, but I've never seen anything but ballista shots.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sprite141 posted:

Is it possible to get radiant mucus from nakarkos shiny drops? Kiranico says you can, but I've never seen anything but ballista shots.

It doesn't say that you can get mucus from shiny drops at all :confused:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Allarion posted:

It doesn't say that you can get mucus from shiny drops at all :confused:

Oh, sorry. I was reading the dex app, not kiranico.

My plan was to grab some radiant mucus+ from the hr event quest so I can buff up my teostra bow even more. But I'm still only hr5, so maybe I should hold up on that then.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Some 3d printer design site is running a Monster Hunter design contest. Should be pretty interesting to see what comes out of it and if my 3d-printer-owning friends will be able to print them. They'd make great RPG minis.

Sprite141 posted:

Oh, sorry. I was reading the dex app, not kiranico.

My plan was to grab some radiant mucus+ from the hr event quest so I can buff up my teostra bow even more. But I'm still only hr5, so maybe I should hold up on that then.

I think I've gotten radiant mucus from nark once in 4ish ballista-only runs. If it's there I don't think it's even a 1% chance.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbZN6Fn3t68

Wish they made armors for the hunters too.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

yea they really sold us short on that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finally "beat" the single-player campaign. That end sequence was, uh, worth the wait. Time to finish getting to High Rank in multiplayer!

Glavenus owned but kept chumping me with its tail. Is there a trick to cutting it off or does it just require a lot of punishment? I managed to wound the tail but man I wanted to cut it off.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 27, 2017

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Finally "beat" the single-player campaign. That end sequence was, uh, worth the wait. Time to finish getting to High Rank in multiplayer!

Glavenus owned but kept chumping me with its tail. Is there a trick to cutting it off or does it just require a lot of punishment? I managed to wound the tail but man I wanted to cut it off.

You can only cut it off when it's glowing red hot (this still applies for Hellblade where redhot is the default state and blasted is the powered up state)

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

dragon enthusiast posted:

You can only cut it off when it's glowing red hot (this still applies for Hellblade where redhot is the default state and blasted is the powered up state)

Wow I haven't fought a Hellblade yet but that sentence is terrifying

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

C-Euro posted:

After you fight him a few times you'll get the hang of dodging all his tail attacks. His cheap attacks are usually the fireball ones.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Critical Juncture will probably be what I'll miss most in a non-HA MH. More weapons need counter mechanics naturally.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
So I just nabbed the Halcyon Set from spamming the USJ event quest with Glavenus and Maccao. I never actually defeated Glav, just completed the subquest bc I was playing solo. For Bow- I understand lots of folks use adept bc of the evade but why over Guild? Wouldn't you lose the flexibility Guild provides? If I don't take absolute evade I can use haste rain and something else. Or if I do, I'd still have access to arc shots. I know it isn't as powerful but after a knock down wouldn't arcshot be good to apply a status like poison, blast, sleep, para just before it gets back up?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

cancerianmoth posted:

So I just nabbed the Halcyon Set from spamming the USJ event quest with Glavenus and Maccao. I never actually defeated Glav, just completed the subquest bc I was playing solo. For Bow- I understand lots of folks use adept bc of the evade but why over Guild? Wouldn't you lose the flexibility Guild provides? If I don't take absolute evade I can use haste rain and something else. Or if I do, I'd still have access to arc shots. I know it isn't as powerful but after a knock down wouldn't arcshot be good to apply a status like poison, blast, sleep, para just before it gets back up?

1. None of the Bow arts are very good except Haste Rain, that + Evade is worth adept alone.

2. Power Shot is really, really, good. It does tons of damage and easy to land, unlike Arc Shots. Also status is more of LBG's thing, Bow is more of a straight up damage dealer in this game.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

1. None of the Bow arts are very good except Haste Rain, that + Evade is worth adept alone.

2. Power Shot is really, really, good. It does tons of damage and easy to land, unlike Arc Shots. Also status is more of LBG's thing, Bow is more of a straight up damage dealer in this game.

Alright thanks for the input. I'm one of those folks who wants to try every style with different weapons. I already use adept CB so I was trying to avoid Adept Bow but wanted a gunner set just in case.

Also there was this game at PAXSouth called Dauntless. It seemed decent, but its still in development. I got to play it some and the weapons are very similar. The hammer has this rocket charge hit much like MH hammers have. The main issue I had was that there was no way to "mark" the beast nor a map (at least that I knew of). There also wasn't a mounting mechanic (I need to climb monsters damnit!) I can't wait to see where it goes but the art style is pretty and looks nice. There was similar style of risk/reward that MH does so well with the speed of the attacks and item usage.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

cancerianmoth posted:

Also there was this game at PAXSouth called Dauntless. It seemed decent, but its still in development. I got to play it some and the weapons are very similar. The hammer has this rocket charge hit much like MH hammers have. The main issue I had was that there was no way to "mark" the beast nor a map (at least that I knew of). There also wasn't a mounting mechanic (I need to climb monsters damnit!) I can't wait to see where it goes but the art style is pretty and looks nice. There was similar style of risk/reward that MH does so well with the speed of the attacks and item usage.

That sounds great, let's look at their web site to see if they have som-

Oh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i watched a video of it a while ago and it looked like they really need to add hit stop when you hit things

• Locked thread