Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it be legal for other people to assault you if they disagree with you?
This poll is closed.
Yes 183 49.06%
No 190 50.94%
Total: 328 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Mercrom posted:

I like hurting others as much as anyone, but what's the point aside from getting an erection? Isn't democracy the real issue here? Why should these people have any kind of power?

The point is making it clear that people who are fascists will get bashed in order to deter people from becoming fascists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Yes, if only we had a means to use violence to deter and enforce a certain set of rules in society and groups of professionals who has worked for hundreds of years learning this strategy.

Constantly LARPing
Aug 30, 2006

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/21/us/politics/richard-spencer-punched-attack.html

quote:

Mr. Spencer said he was worried about being attacked again.

“I don’t think I could go out to an inauguration event without bodyguards or a protest or a conference,” he said. “I am more worried about going out to dinner on an average Tuesday because these kind of people are roaming around.”

On Periscope, Mr. Spencer also expressed concern about the spread of the footage of the attack online.

“I’m afraid this is going to become the meme to end all memes,” he said. “That I’m going to hate watching this.”

The guy who said we should seriously consider whether or not we need the "black race" is scared to leave his home to promote his ideology. Yep, gonna say that's a good thing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Always punch Spencer

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Oh no a meme - guy who used memes to elect his candidate president.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Constantly LARPing posted:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/21/us/politics/richard-spencer-punched-attack.html

The guy who said we should seriously consider whether or not we need the "black race" is scared to leave his home to promote his ideology. Yep, gonna say that's a good thing.

i'm glad of it.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Lightning Knight posted:

It shouldn't be legal.

But jury nullification still exists and is cool and good when used to help people who punch Nazis in their goddamn faces.

The moral of the story is gently caress the fascists.

I for one look forward to an America where certain minority groups are OK to murder with a speech to the jury about jury nullification and a wink and a nod.

"He carrying a sign advocating eliminating my race. Did you know that as the jury, and as members of the race he wanted to eliminate, you can vote not guilty if you don't think what I did was wrong?"

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
poor oppressed nazis :'(

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

Alan Smithee posted:

Always punch Spencer

yup

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Mercrom posted:

Yes, if only we had a means to use violence to deter and enforce a certain set of rules in society and groups of professionals who has worked for hundreds of years learning this strategy.

Cops are just fascists with badges. Hope this helps.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Does this guy refer to memes in every conversation?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

rudatron posted:

Wait, if op is obliquely referring to spencer being punched, that's not just 'you disagree with them'. Self defense is justified, and so is defense of another. You can't bitch and moan about free speech, when you're willing to selfishly deny the rights of others.

Thanks for coming to your sense. people wanting to genocide people give me free reign to stand my ground against them and kick them in the nuts so hard they cant spread their rotten genes.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

wizard on a water slide posted:

It's good that the law and morality are two different things, because it should not be legal to assault people, but it is morally correct to assault Nazis.

This. Punch a Nazi and go to jail for punching a Nazi if that's the price civil society requires of us in order to punch Nazis.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The Oldest Man posted:

This. Punch a Nazi and go to jail for punching a Nazi if that's the price civil society requires of us in order to punch Nazis.

It's also your duty as a good citizen to take all necessary steps to avoid punishment for punching said nazi, as by being imprisoned you only serve to prop up a for-profit prison system. Plus, uh, the prisons are kind of full of nazis.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

wizard on a water slide posted:

It's good that the law and morality are two different things, because it should not be legal to assault people, but it is morally correct to assault Nazis.

Yep. I hope everyone punches a Nazis and doesn't get caught so they can go on to punch many more nazi's in the future.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

rudatron posted:

All lives are precious, please do not attack others unless you've run out of other options!

I solve this problem by just never thinking of other options in the first place.

Deep Thought
Mar 7, 2005

SSNeoman posted:

Okay gently caress it this topic is a piece of poo poo anyway so I'll :shrek: it up.

When the gently caress did you Pure Leftists™ become such loving pussies? You were uncompromising in your beliefs leading up to the election, but now with protests and Nazis being punched you're suddenly clutching your pearls. What the gently caress happened? Did your balls drop?

EDIT: I assume you're leftists cause if not then you're a Nazi supporter in which case go gently caress yourself.

Yes their balls dropped. They're adults now and don't go for the 'I must be a stong man because I endorse violence by proxy' thing.

It sounds like you don't understand puberty and that deflates your rhetoric. It either skipped you over or you are too young. Or you could be an alien with a bare patch, I don't know. Ok, that's an insensitive remark to make. I'll just assume you're not a real SS 'new' man but are in fact a hot-blooded woman who wants her 10 nazi scalps now, but must use feminine intuition to get them, which is to say by psychologically kicking men in the balls until they agree to do it for her.

I could be wrong on all counts, maybe you have a complex viewpoint where non-violence is a sign of maturity but also of being a pussy?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

I solve this problem by just never thinking of other options in the first place.
I mean in most cases, there are plenty of other options. But I can't say it's right to ask people to not hurt someone, who would absolutely hurt them if given the chance.

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

Punching Nazis is really a half measure.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
i like that most of the goons in favor of assaulting richard spencer are afraid to express that opinion in any way other than whiny sarcasm

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
serioustalk: i had no idea who richard spencer was until he got punched in the face, now suddenly i'm seeing him everywhere and he has a platform to play victim on and be listened to, because he got punched in the face

i suspect i'm not the only person who learned about richard spencer this way

what i'm saying is that punching people because you don't like their opinions seems pretty dumb and counterproductive, moral arguments notwithstanding

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
If you sympathize with Richard Spencer for getting punched in the face, that literally makes you a Nazi sympathizer. If you're okay with that, you should consider punching yourself in the face.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

TomViolence posted:

Treating politics like a sportsmanlike game is some crass poo poo when people's lives hang in the balance

one day you will be out of your depth and you won't know how to politics about a particular issue and then a nazi will punch you in the face and install a dictatorship

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
like be smart about it and smash a pie in his face instead of just using your fist, ffs

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 22, 2017

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

serioustalk: i had no idea who richard spencer was until he got punched in the face, now suddenly i'm seeing him everywhere and he has a platform to play victim on and be listened to, because he got punched in the face

what i'm saying is that punching people because you don't like their opinions seems pretty dumb and counterproductive, moral arguments notwithstanding

He was already giving interviews on national television just a few months ago. He already had a platform. There is no such thing as premature anti-fascism.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

blowfish posted:

one day you will be out of your depth and you won't know how to politics about a particular issue and then a nazi will punch you in the face and install a dictatorship

Nah 'cause I'll be next to TomViolence and I will inflict some violence upon said Nazi. And if not me, then somebody else, because we'll all have learned that punching Nazis is cool&good.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
did he do anything at those interviews except look like a gross fuckin nazi who shouldn't be listened to

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think nazis hand-wring about the morality of violence when they attack people, nor are they really known for using pies. Intimidation works, nazis know it works, that's why they do it. It also works on nazis, same as anyone else.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

did he do anything at those interviews except look like a gross fuckin nazi who shouldn't be listened to

He did enough for morons to handwring about how genocide is just a difference of opinion.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
cool, he got listened to by people who think that opinions are the same as actions

idg the threat

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
"The lives of minorities are really just a matter of opinion" - Very serious people who I'm sure will be very nice when their neighbors get dragged out of their homes

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

cool, he got listened to by people who think that opinions are the same as actions

idg the threat

Well if you think about it Hitler didn't really kill many people himself. He did sign lots of papers though.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
well i mean if they think that lives are the same as opinions then i'm not sure they can comprehend news articles well enough to understand anything anyway

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

yeah, i had never heard about this guy before

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It must sting to see meme magic work against him

Also people should know who Spencer is so they know people like that exist. You can't solve a problem until you recognize it.

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003
How do you guys feel about Illinois Nazis?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It must sting to see meme magic work against him

Also people should know who Spencer is so they know people like that exist. You can't solve a problem until you recognize it.

people aren't problems, yo

maybe their opinions are lovely but opinions aren't problems either unless those opinions get acted on in a harmful way, then those actions do get pretty punchworthy

no one's listened to a spencer interview and immediately gone and thrown all their jewish neighbors in a concentration camp afaik, could be wrong though, things can get pretty fuckin weird in the rednecky parts of the 'states

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
"Genocide is an opinion" - Moderate intellectuals

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
one is killing a shitload of people and one is making a shitload of posts on somethingawful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Like everytime someone says "you hit them because of their opinions" they earn another year in the future Alaskan gulag.

• Locked thread