Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

"Claw hands strangling giraffe woman" was the sole descriptor for that tattoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

It took me a minute to see it and now I wish I hadn't expended the effort.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Cet A CRlP

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Oh man it took me forever to parse that image. "I see a butt... and a Fleshlight?"

ricketyvickyt
Sep 9, 2010

I can't help but think that in a few years, when she isn't spreading them apart, it's going to look like a deformed penis sticking up between her boobs!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ricketyvickyt posted:

I can't help but think that in a few years, when she isn't spreading them apart, it's going to look like a deformed penis sticking up between her boobs!

don't kinkshame

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

ricketyvickyt posted:

I know there are some artists in here, so can someone please tell me: is that pointillism an actual style, or just a the result of a really horrid tattoo artist? I've seen a few in here that look sort of like this, and I can only think that they'll all be shapeless blobs within a year or so. I seriously can't imagine it being a deliberate choice.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I know there are some artists in here, so can someone please tell me: is that pointillism an actual style, or just a the result of a really horrid tattoo artist? I've seen a few in here that look sort of like this, and I can only think that they'll all be shapeless blobs within a year or so. I seriously can't imagine it being a deliberate choice.

just trying to accurately represent the jpeg artifacts on the reference pic

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Pointilism can be a style. I'd argue that this is an example of that style executed very poorly.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't it, like with pretty much all other tattoos, better when there's a solid outline?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

there wolf posted:

Isn't it, like with pretty much all other tattoos, better when there's a solid outline?

As someone with very little artistic experience yes but it looks like they were going for a older watercolor type thing.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

I think the main idea is not so much that it needs a black outline, just sufficient amounts of black in general. Over time it will be the black that is still most visible so the more black in the tattoo the better it will stand the test of time. That being said, even black will fade and spread so all those little dots may sort of congeal.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
That feeling when think you've found a really bad tattoo, but in the once-over before you hit post you realize it's just drawn on.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Is this a pokemons?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

DumbparameciuM posted:

Is this a pokemons?

It looks like the sloth from Zootopia????

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Just looks like a new school sloth to me. It's not a great tattoo, but it's not awful.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I like the sloth, it's cute.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Cool and good.

ricketyvickyt
Sep 9, 2010

It's a new tattoo but looks really old and is supposed to be Luna lovegood from Harry Potter but her uniform is all wrong and she is wearing the wrong house colours and her legs are just ridiculously long. The line work is questionable as well. I just hate it ha.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I saw him stencil it. And get out weird colors. But I didnt say anything.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bombadilillo posted:

I saw him stencil it. And get out weird colors. But I didnt say anything.

I can see people not noticing the colors or discounting it if they don't know anything about how tattoos work. The stencil I got no excuse for.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Li Champions must be his favorite player!

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

ricketyvickyt posted:

It's a new tattoo but looks really old and is supposed to be Luna lovegood from Harry Potter but her uniform is all wrong and she is wearing the wrong house colours and her legs are just ridiculously long. The line work is questionable as well. I just hate it ha.

What is it supposed to say by the drawing? I can only really read it as saying "Anal"?

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

cuntvalet posted:

What is it supposed to say by the drawing? I can only really read it as saying "Anal"?

...Lana

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Danger Zone!

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
UMMMB it's Luna

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Oh hey look a local shop, I wonder if their work is any g-:pwn: https://instagram.com/p/BPeXyEJguLG/

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Those kids are too young to have grills that hosed up already.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Field Mousepad posted:

Those kids are too young to have grills that hosed up already.

They both look like Benjamin Button

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
a good sign is when a fresh tattoo already looks between 5-10 years old

sout
Apr 24, 2014

do people sometimes intentionally make tattoos look older the same way you can get t-shirts with faded logos?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Thom and the Heads posted:

a good sign is when a fresh tattoo already looks between 5-10 years old

I guess that 'distressed tattooing' might be a thing?

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

It is weird how faded that guy's pieces are, even ones with what look like vibrant colors. How important is the quality/cost of ink for that?

At least he helped this guy out a little. I can't imagine it looks very good at natural head position, though...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

sleppy posted:

It is weird how faded that guy's pieces are, even ones with what look like vibrant colors. How important is the quality/cost of ink for that?

At least he helped this guy out a little. I can't imagine it looks very good at natural head position, though...

That is a terrible place for a smeary red tattoo.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Oh hey look a local shop, I wonder if their work is any g-:pwn: https://instagram.com/p/BPeXyEJguLG/

Instagram recommended this one to me from that link:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPeVgfXgZiO/

I kind of like it.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Real question: How much would constant shaving ruin a tattoo? I realize it's only scratching off the top layer of of skin cells, but that has to be similar to getting a palm or sole tattoo, right?

Same question about those armpit tattoos posted earlier.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

hyperhazard posted:

Real question: How much would constant shaving ruin a tattoo? I realize it's only scratching off the top layer of of skin cells, but that has to be similar to getting a palm or sole tattoo, right?

Same question about those armpit tattoos posted earlier.

Actually palm and sole tattoos wearing off have less to do with constant use and more to do with the body's adaptations to the underlying skin because of humanity's constant use of them over their evolution. The skin of your palms isn't anchored the same way as the skin on say your arms or legs is, and your palm has no hair follicles, no tanning response, and a few other structural differences from regular skin. The soles of your feet are similar.

Basically the way that palm/sole skin works and replenishes itself will tend to fade and eventually destroy a tattoo as it forces the ink away from where the artist originally put it. It doesn't all come out with shed skin, it gets broken apart and then dissolved by the body as well from the immune response.

Normal tattoo fading from sun exposure is actually a tint caused by your melanocytes, but since palm skin doesn't tan it's literally your tattoo breaking down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
That's pretty fascinating, thanks! The more you know.