Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tippis posted:

He's differentiating between CryEngine/Lumberyard from “what we've done” — i.e. what's in StarEngine and its MegaMap concept.

Sure, in the sense of “level” = “scene”. The distinction he's making is that the other variations of the engine include the entire scene setup as well — all item positions, NPCs, scripts, and all associated assets yadda yadda — which have been predetermined to form that “level” and which have to be loaded as the level is loaded.

So sure, it has been done in a myriad of other engines before, but it's still a neat subversion even down to a semantic level of one of the cornerstones of the base engine, so I kind of understand that they want to differentiate it from how CE/LY does it by not calling it a “level” any more.

Makes sense.

quote:

Nah. That's not the hilarious part. The hilarious part is that, if they actually pushed this concept — the unanchored player-centric space as the subjective “scene” — then they wouldn't even need all the other fancy tech they've been talking about. They wouldn't need 64bit positioning because nothing in that subjective space would require that precision. They wouldn't need local physics grids, because you are only ever exactly where you are and everything else is just Algebra 101 base transforms. What they'd need is the exact thing they're not doing: highly customised and hardened server code running on custom hardware to deal with the (relatively) low-data, but matrix-operation-heavy requirements of keeping track of everyone. :D

Precisely. Which is why on yesterday's stream I had said that they're either going to pick parts of LY they want to use, why leaving the StarEngine Frankencode intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

ArfJason posted:

I think trawling through pages and pages of ten million word posts about star citizen to laugh at them is real weird, and that also following people through their twitters to make fun of their families and interior decorations is kind of hosed up. I guess it's not doxxing anymore but it's still weird as all hell.

Either way, please, don't constantly harass and follow people online because they had the wrong opinion of videogames. Don't doxx anyone, and don't send them any hateful messages.

:ironicat:

quote:

BAN 06/09/14 10:10pm ArfJason Please don't harass other posters. Ralp Ralp
PROBATION 05/31/14 01:05am ArfJason If you're going to stalk other posters, do it somewhere other than PSP. User loses posting privileges for 3 days. fatherdog Ralp

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Maybe I don't know much about game development but when I use a library or framework; I spend pretty much zero time trying to backport features into my own custom version. Then again I typically choose frameworks that are designed to support my end goal and not ~fidelity~

Here I was thinking Chris made a half-decent choice to go with Lumberyard so he could focus on gameplay.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Chunjee posted:

[*]Artists used too many polygons https://youtu.be/DK2ZBCeKKuQ?t=22m27s

That is 100% Chris and his bullshit :nallears:

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

I'm sorry stopwatches are beyond your means. :shrug:

Was there a point or were you just being a tard?

I just think you're a sad person

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Mirificus posted:

Suppose...

I seem to remember the agent using the phrase "nostrils above water" and simple math of mocap costs, how many employees, their salaries etc. probably means that's true.

:ssh: the agent is Erin Roberts :tinfoil:

In other things I can't believe news, they literally have Andy Serkis personally doing the mocap? They couldn't get anyone who works cheaper? And he's literally just hopping around in that exaggerated way that will contrast noticeably with the janky-rear end walk-run animations? Wow, take my loving money, please.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Mr. F! posted:

hello

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Mr. F! posted:

How much U in 4 commando?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Despite my best efforts I'll never be the worst poster in the thread :(

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Black Pants posted:

Like there was someone's fantasy story from a while back, imagining themselves and their crew kicking back in the hold of their ship playing cards while someone goes out and does business on the station they're docked at. Why the gently caress do people think that milling around the inside of a ship for such a long time that they'll have time to sit and play cards in their videogame is something multiple people are going to actually want to do?
There was a mega thread on the RSI forums in late 2013 theorycrafting all the minigames players could play when traveling through space. Chewie and Luke played StarChess on the Falcon, so there must be space games for the flights seemed to be the thinking. For me it was a definite light bulb moment. Realizing everyone had their own vision for the game and they were all unique. And also realizing the community were some boring as gently caress game players. I quit EVE because it was so boring I'd have to play xbox while waiting. Games that require you to play other games to stay entertained doesn't seem like the best design goal.

Of course, gwent turned out to be kind of fun. Star Citizen needs to be every game genre that exists--so I can see a production meeting with Crobbers telling the developers SC needs a collectible card game (with $25 card packs).

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Beet Wagon posted:

CIG's run out of ships to Archer so they just decided "gently caress it man just make a box with a chair in it these morons will buy anything."

At least they Archer'd the chair..

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

TrustmeImLegit posted:

This goes so far, that they want gamemasters that can start events. They want news broadcasts about current events even with live-mocap. That is his ultimate dream for the game.

Live-mocap :allears:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Thoatse posted:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

lol

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Chunjee posted:

I believe it still slams every possible inch of bandwidth as well.

I can confirm that it does. You will not be using any other devices in your home while you download this mess.

I've already un-installed it.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Mr. F! posted:

I had a few minutes to kill. :shrug:

How much are you in for commando and are you one of the children Ben talks about on his website?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

ArfJason posted:

I think trawling through pages and pages of ten million word posts about star citizen to laugh at them is real weird, and that also following people through their twitters to make fun of their families and interior decorations is kind of hosed up. I guess it's not doxxing anymore but it's still weird as all hell.

Either way, please, don't constantly harass and follow people online because they had the wrong opinion of videogames. Don't doxx anyone, and don't send them any hateful messages.

How much are you in for, commando?

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Thoatse posted:

The overhead boom mount for the monitors seems like impractical swag, and unless it's extremely well mounted, would wiggle like hell under any gaming use. If they're going for a cockpit aesthetic, a floor mounted wall-o-monitors and some side consoles seem a lot more workable, as well as not costing a fortune in bespoke machining and fabrication. I mean, I love spergy gaming setups, but this just looks like someone saw a homemade cockpit and said "I want that, but more expensive and less practical".

Zest fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 22, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Zest posted:

The overhead boom mount for the monitors seems like impractical swag, and unless it's extremely well mounted, would wiggle like hell under any gaming use. If they're going for a cockpit aesthetic, a floor mounted wall-o-monitors and some side consoles seem a lot more workable, as well as not costing a fortune in bespoke machining and fabrication. I mean, I love spergy gaming setups, but this just looks like someone saw a homemade cockpit and said "I want that, but more expensive and less practical".

the really sad thing is from that angle you can't see the toilet seat

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ArfJason posted:

I guess it's not doxxing anymore

:popeye:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

the really sad thing is from that angle you can't see the toilet seat

Hmm, a packaging toilet would make it extra space-y :v:

However, you'd need some kind of toilet paper conveyor belt to wipe down a Lesnick-sized human in situ.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Song written in Xi'an
https://soundcloud.com/mjac/xian-war-chan-t2-by-mjac

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mirificus posted:

Suppose...

A few years ago Chris wrote on RSI that they had enough money to finish everything even if funding stopped immediately.

Now Chris said they can finish Squadron 42, but finishing Star Citizen will happen once the game sells.

Anyone, who upon reading that, doesn't immediately freak out and demand a refund is a loving idiot.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

It's not FULL BURN, but I'll give them credit for having more creativity than CIG.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Watching Dr Strangelove. Slim Pickens does look quite similar to Croberts.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

spacetoaster posted:

I can confirm that it does. You will not be using any other devices in your home while you download this mess.

I've already un-installed it.

As the way it should be. Why should friends and family intrude on the bandwidth causing you grief?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Disco not the dog 1/10

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

NPCs provide hours of hilarious fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd5qsJHNxKc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4hJcYVSV1c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdqauhkd5rQ&t

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

ArfJason posted:

unironic yellow validation

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Zest posted:

Such a prime example of form over function that it warranted intellectual infringement.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

I had a few minutes to kill. :shrug:

How much are you in for commando and are you one of the children Ben talks about on his website?

Nothing, haven't given any money to this game. And if you haven't either then I guess I just find it sad that you feel that posting about how quickly you can walk around a coffee table will make you feel better about yourself.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

lol it even has a former investor turned boogeyman seeking vindication.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

We watched the same video, but through a different lens. A large portion of this thread is literally impossible to please. You are just quite vocal. It doesn't matter one tiny bit what is shown, said, or played, you will always, always want more.

Unfortunately it's to the point of absurdity. You all complain so much about not getting enough detail or insight, but don't realize that the more detailed the information we get is, the less people understand it.

CR even shows an example of this cargo thing in a big demo reveal, but you'll see people on here complaining as if he literally said nothing whatsoever about cargo/cargo missions. It's honestly astounding and disappointing. I've seen people on here have poo poo explained to them in simple terms like that, but then ask how the gently caress it's done in-game. Like.. poo poo dude, do you want a programmer/designer/whatever the hell job-guy to literally sit down and show you how to use his 3-D modelling program, or how to use his scripting program? Sorry, but unless you went to college for that poo poo or learned it over time (which is maybe .05% of this thread), you're not going to know what the hell is going on anyways.

I just don't even get it man.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Honestly I agree. Most AAA stuff isn't great. I'm thinking SC will be able to either redefine what it means to be AAA or just straight up call it the first AAAA game.

Thank you for confirming the existence of parallel universes.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm the multiple circle jerks.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

Nothing, haven't given any money to this game. And if you haven't either then I guess I just find it sad that you feel that posting about how quickly you can walk around a coffee table will make you feel better about yourself.

I find it sad that you need to post about what others are posting in a thread you hate to make you feel better about yourself.

:sad:

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

JB50 posted:

I find it sad that you need to post about what others are posting in a thread you hate to make you feel better about yourself.

:sad:

Lol. Making fun of fatso's will always be defended here on SA.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

Haha youre seriously white knighting for Ben Lesnick? Hes not going to gently caress you dude.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. F! posted:

If this is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

JB50 posted:

Haha youre seriously white knighting for Ben Lesnick? Hes not going to gently caress you dude.

Merely making fun of a poster who couldn't think of anything funnier to say about the guy than that he could walk around a coffee table faster than him, thats all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
people who own gamin' rigs disgust me.