Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Lobok posted:

Asking a question even though I'm afraid of the answer. To do a SASO run in Hokkaido I'm going to have to use the outsides of the buildings pretty much all the time, right? If doors need disguises to open and I can't use disguises then I can't take the direct route anywhere.

Also, I thought killing Soders was going to be like the basement exit in Colorado, but lol at all the different ways you can kill him.

If you're good at keeping bodies out of view, you can drag an unconscious person up to the door and it will open, if their clothes can open it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Lobok posted:

Asking a question even though I'm afraid of the answer. To do a SASO run in Hokkaido I'm going to have to use the outsides of the buildings pretty much all the time, right? If doors need disguises to open and I can't use disguises then I can't take the direct route anywhere.

I did it with only one brief bit of mantling to get into the resort living quarters; there aren't actually that many internal RFID doors within the secure areas, so the 3x disposable scramblers are enough to handle the rest.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lobok posted:

The resident and hospital areas are full of locked doors, but the morgue, garage, stairways, and service rooms behind the residential areas aren't.

Hokkaido is designed with obvious intended paths for SASO/ninja runs. It seems like Bangkok at first but it's much more like the Sapienza special mission, with tight paths and lots of gimmicks. You can get creative with scamblers, but I did it SASO without any gear at all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aright, cool, lots to consider. Thanks everyone!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Also, remember that Hokkaido has some of the most elaborate means of killing the targets without getting particularly close to them that the game has seen. You never really have to enter the hospital proper to get to Soders, and once you're in the back-rooms of the place, there are multiple means of getting to Yamazaki — including a very simple brute-force method. And, of course, with enough mastery, you start out behind the scenes in your suit.

The “true” SASO challenge in this map is really the Ninja challenge, since it trades you a slightly worse position and forces you to use a disguise that is hostile everywhere, as opposed to the suit, which is at least allowed in some areas. The map is designed around allowing that level of chicanery, which ultimately leaves standard SASO as a fairly simple task once you have the map and its many tricks figured out.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Oh my god you can drive Sebastian insane if you keep playing the diorama over and over again. This game is the best.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

And Tyler Too! posted:

Oh my god you can drive Sebastian insane if you keep playing the diorama over and over again. This game is the best.

Will he do something with this insanity or just rant and rant about it?

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

And Tyler Too! posted:

If you're good at keeping bodies out of view, you can drag an unconscious person up to the door and it will open, if their clothes can open it.

And if you need to drag that body to open another door elsewhere, you can block the door from closing by leaving an item (or another body) in the doorframe - though I've seen a bug(?) where the door closes anyways if you save while it's blocked open and then load that save, so be careful about that.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

SASO hokkaido is hands down the easiest, paris comes second because the iago invitation lets you go upstairs

you can shoot soders heart to kill him, then go outside and mantle up near the helicopter (at the 180 degree turn on the stairs - if you do the U turn towards the helicopter guards/pilot will see you), run around the side of the building to the spa, then lock yamazaki in, before going down the spa path and exiting via the snow jetski

this is assuming you start in the morgue, you might not need any scramblers at all but i like getting RFID chip anyway since its a SASO run and i wanted every advantage

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
If you're not above spoiling it for yourself, the speedrun method for SASO on Hokkaido is actually really easy:

https://youtu.be/11fXlw2CoUE

Aug 24, 2011

ninja run is basically identical to SASO since you can use the same route and you're generally trespassing in your suit anyway

only real difference is starting location, but if you're trying this without level 20 for your loadout i would suggest... not doing that. you want your silenced pistol (krugermeier or w/e the perfect silence pistol is) to take out the heart at least

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Sapienza was probably the easiest SASO for me, but Hokkaido was easy both for SASO and Ninja Assassin. I can't wait to mess around with Professional difficulty though.

Aug 24, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Sapienza was probably the easiest SASO for me, but Hokkaido was easy both for SASO and Ninja Assassin. I can't wait to mess around with Professional difficulty though.

i have not done sapienza SASO yet, though i like to think i am very familiar with hokkaido/paris now, not so much sapienza. there seem to be a lot of nice places in sapienza that i have not found uses for, are any of them particularly applicable for a SASO run?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

where the red fern gropes posted:

i have not done sapienza SASO yet, though i like to think i am very familiar with hokkaido/paris now, not so much sapienza. there seem to be a lot of nice places in sapienza that i have not found uses for, are any of them particularly applicable for a SASO run?

Sapienza SASO is not terribly hard if you've unlocked the church morgue starting place. Start in the coffin, get the dongle / keycard, kill Silvio with the tape recording and de Santis with the virus prototype, dongle-murder the virus and away in a plane. Most tricky part is probably getting rid of Silvios bodyguards after murdering him.

The hardest part is resisting putting on the plague doctor outfit.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
You can do the entire thing from the speedboat starting area, basically:

1. Shoot a stalactite onto the virus.
2. Shoot a stalactite onto de Santis when she comes to investigate.
3. Shoot Caruso with the cannon in the old ruins.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

where the red fern gropes posted:

I'd say the easiest SASO runs in Sapienza use a fairly small portion of the map. I used the golf coach's phone to lure Francesca into her room and I used the VHS to isolate Silvio in the computer room and except for poisoning the golf coach (didn't have the Emetic Syringe at the time) I was able to stick to the outskirts of the mansion and didn't need to mess with any staff or guards.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
You can SASO Sapienza with two cannon shots and the dongle :cool:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

You can do the entire thing from the speedboat starting area, basically:

1. Shoot a stalactite onto the virus.
2. Shoot a stalactite onto de Santis when she comes to investigate.
3. Shoot Caruso with the cannon in the old ruins.

#3 there counts as an accident?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mzbundifund posted:

#3 there counts as an accident?

And an unnoticed kill!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

Will he do something with this insanity or just rant and rant about it?

He'll eventually quit the show and hang out by the river, but his reactions to the diorama are priceless.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

This game owns because everyone so far has listed different ways to do Sapienza SASO. No single clear way to do any one thing.

Mine was drop the chandelier on Caruso and electrocute De Santis, then cross over the bridge to the ruins to sneak down and stalactite the virus. The best part was De Santis wandering into her trap at the EXACT moment that the chandelier dropped on Caruso.

Considered doing the speed boat method discussed above, but had the same questions about number 3.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Yeah, I tested number 3 before trying the SASO run since it definitely doesn't seem like an accident kill :v:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Considered doing the speed boat method discussed above, but had the same questions about number 3.

This is actually the hardest part of the game's "puzzle" element: knowing what different kills count as. It takes a while to understand the Hitman game logic where every person is awfully naive about how haunted or Final Destination-y the world is and that there's no human intent behind so many crazy accidents.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Lobok posted:

This is actually the hardest part of the game's "puzzle" element: knowing what different kills count as. It takes a while to understand the Hitman game logic where every person is awfully naive about how haunted or Final Destination-y the world is and that there's no human intent behind so many crazy accidents.

It's especially funny if you've also gone loud in a level.

'Yes, an armed intruder got into a firefight, killing seven guards. In unrelated news, the person they were guarding died from a tragic fall.'

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yeah, I tested number 3 before trying the SASO run since it definitely doesn't seem like an accident kill :v:

Obviously, the whole place is guarded top to bottom, and after all, there are cannon balls and gun powder strewn out all over the place, so of course it's an accident when one (or two) of the cannons go off. No-one could possibly be there, and the Mediterranean sun must be heating up the iron, or something. :D

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think it's easier to understand why so many kills are regarded as accidents if you think of the game's scoring system as being the guards' own justifications for their failure. Better to blame an old and rusted chain holding up a chandelier than explain how someone was able to infiltrate and murder the guy that you and forty other guards were supposed to be protecting.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

how haunted or Final Destination-y the world is and that there's no human intent behind so many crazy accidents.

If you wanna have some real fun as a psychopath hang out in Marrakesh as the maintenance guy. Just stand next to that mountainous pile of corpses and keep flipping the power switch in between victims. You can do it in three different places and in each case the pile of dead can grow high enough to hide a standing person.

You'd think it was just video game logic, but having spent time as an industrial safety coordinator I've seen plenty of educational materials that highlight how bad real people are bad at identifying environmental hazards.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Mondian posted:

If you wanna have some real fun as a psychopath hang out in Marrakesh as the maintenance guy.

Bonus points for the H.P. Lovecraft reference on his shirt.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

UrbicaMortis posted:

It's especially funny if you've also gone loud in a level.

'Yes, an armed intruder got into a firefight, killing seven guards. In unrelated news, the person they were guarding died from a tragic fall.'

"I can't believe a chandelier accidentally crushed our boss the same day a bunch of the staff decided to strip naked and fall asleep in various storage closets!"

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

This guy got too close to the toilet and drowned himself while puking!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And Tyler Too! posted:

This guy got too close to the toilet and drowned himself while puking!

Choked on his vomit, then fell face-first into the toilet.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

3rd place on Fishing with Dynamite :toot:

I'm sure that'll go away once the speedrunners bother with it, but I'll take it while I can.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
That's the fifth fire extinguisher this week to mysteriously explode and kill someone. We should really let OSHA know about this.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MeatwadIsGod posted:

That's the fifth fire extinguisher this week to mysteriously explode and kill someone. We should really let OSHA know about this.

I thought the inspector came by just last week. I talked to him, even. The bald dude.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Lobok posted:

I thought the inspector came by just last week. I talked to him, even. The bald dude.

He even set an extinguisher down next to a politician just to demonstrate how safe it was. Granted, it exploded the second he went around the corner, but I don't think there's any need to try and read too deeply into this sort of thing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

All this shows is that they really need to bring the newspaper front pages back.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Good morning, Agent. Your target today is John Johnson, CEO of Fire Safety Industries. He is absolutely a known human trafficker, smuggler of gold bullion and embezzler, and is definitely a bad person in most other aspects of life. I hear he doesn't brush his teeth. This is likely the most important mission you've ever been sent on- and is certainly not a ploy to topple the fire extinguisher industry so that their manufacture ceases in order to force more creative assassinations -so do take care. He is currently in a meeting in his office on the third floor. Good luck."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

"Good morning, Agent. Your target today is John Johnson, CEO of Fire Safety Industries. He is absolutely a known human trafficker, smuggler of gold bullion and embezzler, and is definitely a bad person in most other aspects of life. I hear he doesn't brush his teeth. This is likely the most important mission you've ever been sent on- and is certainly not a ploy to topple the fire extinguisher industry so that their manufacture ceases in order to force more creative assassinations -so do take care. He is currently in a meeting in his office on the third floor. Good luck."

The only known time 47 has ever shown emotion was when he started smiling and drooling upon entering FSI and seeing the vast amounts of fire extinguishers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lobok posted:

The only known time 47 has ever shown emotion was when he started smiling and drooling upon entering FSI and seeing the vast amounts of fire extinguishers.

The Morissette Mess Escalation - Knock John Johnson out with thrown fire extinguisher, kill him with an explosion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

CJacobs posted:

Has there been an office location in any of the previous games? One or two floors around the upper third of an office building where there could conceivably be VIP's, but low enough that it's not just executive offices seems like a good setting.