Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hypnolobster posted:

I just watched it on Netflix.

Boy, they're really into cum in that last episode.

Magical semen is very important. Just swallow it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

GreenNight posted:

Magical semen is very important. Just swallow it already.

My roommate made egg nog and labeled a jar "Largess".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I finally got around to watching the first season on Netflix over the weekend and... I actually kinda enjoyed it? I expected not to--I liked the books and I knew enough about the differences in how the show was doing things to know I'd probably disapprove--but aside from the fact that I thought Julia's story was largely fumbled (shoulda had Free Trader Beowulf right off the bat) and the end of the season finale was dumb as hell (I know it would've cost too much, but I really wanted the Beast to be as bestial as he is in the book) it was pretty all right. I even liked Quentin's self-aware narration in the season finale. I was also pretty surprised that Penny turned out to be my favorite character. I wouldn't have guessed he'd spend the back half of the season as the only sane guy.

I've noticed in season 2 trailers that Penny has his hands back and I hope that's not as much of a cop-out as it seems. Like, I know he's going to be a way more on-screen character in the show than he was in the second and third books so having to show him handless for all of season 2 would've been a pain, but I hope the consequences of that still matter. Like, I dunno, maybe he has nerve damage or something and can't cast complex spells, I dunno. I've also noticed they're teasing Alice vs. the Beast pretty hard in all the trailers, so they better save enough of their CGI budget for that one.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 16, 2017

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Just finished season 1. I like it, but Im probably personally giving it way too many extra points just for not being another loving vampire show.

Wizards are cool.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Error 404 posted:

Just finished season 1. I like it, but Im probably personally giving it way too many extra points just for not being another loving vampire show.

Wizards are cool.

Sexy wizards are cool.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

New episode tonight.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm looking forward to it, despite myself.

I liked the book series quite a bit, but I also thought that reviews really played up its brilliance and subversiveness. They're entertaining fantasy books written pretty well and with a few clever twists, nothing transcendent. So the fact that the show takes a lot of liberties with it, simplifies some things, and amplifies some character traits really doesn't bother me.

Also I really didn't expect Penny to be my favorite character but I'm looking forward to watching him be angry about his hands.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I plowed through this on Netflix over the last few weeks. It certainly has it's problems (mostly around pacing) but it was really entertaining and it's fun to get a show set in a magical world that isn't centered around children.

Looking forward to season 2, does SyFy do streaming or am I going to have find some hackjob site to watch this on?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They do streaming through the Syfy app and website, but you need a cable company login.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Elliot is still the best character.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I love how Penny was silent for like 10 minutes of the episode just staring until he blurts out "My hands are in a loving box!"

Also, "You know of....Swayze?"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like how The Beast was watching Rick & Morty.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

bull3964 posted:

I love how Penny was silent for like 10 minutes of the episode just staring until he blurts out "My hands are in a loving box!"

Also, "You know of....Swayze?"

That was probably the best part.

I actually really like the dynamic between Martin and Julia. Glad to see this back on air.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Holy gently caress that was a funny premiere.

Penny's rant about being charged after-the-fact for use of "a natural resource on public property" was great.

And when Julia said "I'll put the knife down" or whatever, I rolled my eyes at the obvious setup. Later when Martin was like "oh yeah nice little loophole there you sketchy dick" it paid off.

The knight who accidentally died sometime in the 90s was possibly my favorite part though. Or maybe Alice getting distracted by the (rude) horses.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Really enjoyed that. Penny's indignant rant was the best followed by Eliot's mastery of Dirty Dancing getting him crowned king. Pretty far off the rails from the books at this point and I think the general consensus is that's only strengthened the show.

In a show full of absurdly attractive people Olivia Taylor Dudley is insanely pretty. I like how the after-preview was throwing quotes from S1 at the screen and they had to make sure "sexy people" was one of them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm Facebook friends with a guy from Five Second Films and he posts about how funny it is that they're keeping her almost totally covered in every episode. Meanwhile every other role shes had has showcased her goods.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I'm Facebook friends with a guy from Five Second Films and he posts about how funny it is that they're keeping her almost totally covered in every episode. Meanwhile every other role shes had has showcased her goods.

I hope it's Pauly P, Dark Days for Pauly P. was the best.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It's not but I have met him and he's also awesome in person. He bought me a beer!

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

SLOSifl posted:

Penny's rant about being charged after-the-fact for use of "a natural resource on public property" was great.

I mean he's not wrong

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Um, that was a fantastic season premiere. While I enjoyed season 1, it was a big old mess. I'm thinking that they'll continue to deviate wildly from the books, and I'm looking forward to see where they take us.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Mortanis posted:

In a show full of absurdly attractive people Olivia Taylor Dudley is insanely pretty.

She really is the most attractive.

Thought the first episode of the season was great hope it keeps up!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm amused at how they decided to handle Penny's hands. Keeping him handless would've been a huge pain in the rear end for both the actor and the crew. I figured they'd just go for nerve damage from the reattachment or something, but making the uselessness of Penny's hands a consequence of his short temper is a pretty funny way to handle it.

Penny and Eliot remain my favorite characters.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I read these books, could hardly stand the show though. Have they made it to Fillory yet?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I read these books, could hardly stand the show though. Have they made it to Fillory yet?

Yeah, they went there towards the end of the first season. Things are definitely different than they are in the books, though, especially with Julia, Alice, and the Beast, but I find it entertaining enough.

I really liked the books but I didn't think they were the brilliant, subversive books that some reviewers treat them as, so the liberties the show is taking don't bother me too much. And I'd definitely say that the show improves during the first season--I only really started liking it around the middle of the first season (though there are some hilarious scenes in episode 4).

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I flat out didn't really like the books but somehow they still hooked me enough that I read them all, and wanted to check out the adaptation too. After the first book when (half of this happened in the show already and half I think won't happen but spoiler tags to be safe) Quentin cheats on Alice and then she dies I was pretty much just like, okay, I hate absolutely every character now, and then kept reading anyway. Who knows, it's just like I feel sort of attached to the world and the weird difficult grinds they had to go through to get from place to place.

Rhyno posted:

Well she's supposed to be a nerdy goody two shoes so they sort of have to play conservative with her otufits, but "form fitting cute dresses" is a pretty cool look. I think the books actually went out of the way to mention her being stacked but otherwise she was supposed to be rather plain.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
So did anyone else have a lot of problems watching that psych ward episode in season 1?? That poo poo hosed up some of my friends and they quit watching after that. I totally get it tho.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Lupus Rufus posted:

So did anyone else have a lot of problems watching that psych ward episode in season 1?? That poo poo hosed up some of my friends and they quit watching after that. I totally get it tho.

Honestly, Quentin's plot in that episode felt like one of those bullshit holodeck episodes of Star Trek and I didn't really care for that episode. Unless you're talking about the deliberately super-racist Penny, which yeah, that was weird. I guess the best thing I can say about this show is that it's self-aware more often than it's not.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Lupus Rufus posted:

That was the result of 2 major problems with the first season: 1) having story of the week episodes, when this is NOT that show 2) trying too hard to integrate Julia with the rest of the crew so early on.

Other problems: 3) making Penny absurdly overpowered, although I suppose they'll undercut that with the loss of his powers this season 4) trying too hard to integrate Fillory into the plot too early on, ie the Beast trying to attack via Eliot's boyfriend etc, the reveal of Fillory being real was supposed to be a huge shock 5) Making Brakebills seem like a huge university, when it was really just like 100 students in a crazy mansion 6) not really showing how dirty and raw Julia's journey was.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Honestly, Quentin's plot in that episode felt like one of those bullshit holodeck episodes of Star Trek and I didn't really care for that episode. Unless you're talking about the deliberately super-racist Penny, which yeah, that was weird. I guess the best thing I can say about this show is that it's self-aware more often than it's not.

I thought the super-racist Penny was funny just because the joke was at Quentin's expense, not Penny's. Plus, we got to see real Penny get pissed off about it, and Penny getting angry is never not entertaining. I also liked that Quentin's a lovely singer even in his dreams.

The episode as a whole was weird and felt like filler, though, and a show with 13-episode seasons really shouldn't have filler.

Fast Luck posted:

I flat out didn't really like the books but somehow they still hooked me enough that I read them all, and wanted to check out the adaptation too. After the first book when (half of this happened in the show already and half I think won't happen but spoiler tags to be safe) Quentin cheats on Alice and then she dies I was pretty much just like, okay, I hate absolutely every character now, and then kept reading anyway. Who knows, it's just like I feel sort of attached to the world and the weird difficult grinds they had to go through to get from place to place.

I really don't think Quentin got anywhere close to actually likeable until the third book, at which point he's like 30 and has finally started to at least try to grow up. He still does some boneheaded selfish poo poo, but it's also the only book in which he actually sort of is the hero (because it's Alice in book 1 and Julia in book 2) and not just wishing he was.

(I have no idea if I need to spoil that because who the hell knows how much the show is going to take from the books from here on out, but hey, better safe than sorry.)

Nihonniboku posted:

6) not really showing how dirty and raw Julia's journey was.

My biggest disappointment in season 1 is about Julia's journey, because it left out so much of how smart and resourceful she was in the process of finding her magical community. Bringing in Free Trader Beowulf towards the end actually kind of made it worse. It really should've been about them the whole way--have her decipher their riddles in one episode, try to track them down in the next, and then hang out with them for the rest of the season. If Marina had to be there, she could be on the edges tempting the group with a fast track to easy power or something to keep roughly the same role of "self-interested, amoral hedge magician."

In the show, Julia just sort of lucks into learning magic after being assaulted by a dude in a bathroom.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 27, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mortanis posted:

In a show full of absurdly attractive people Olivia Taylor Dudley is insanely pretty. I like how the after-preview was throwing quotes from S1 at the screen and they had to make sure "sexy people" was one of them.
You meant to say Margo but I'll forgive you.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lolling at Penny getting cursed for being a dick.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Penny's rant and the knight quizzing them on 90s pop culture were pretty great

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Josh Lyman posted:

You meant to say Margo but I'll forgive you.
Naw, I'm not into blondes but that nerdy librarian chic in all of Alice's outfits, is super hot.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Binged through the first season over the weekend. It's good trash and I love the reckless pace burning through the book plot for no reason when Brakebills is the only set they can afford. It's doomed to turn into shamefully low budget Tales From Fillory like the season finale but seems like a fun trainwreck. Huge fan of Penny and the show's obsession with swears and boobs they can't actually air.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Binged through the first season over the weekend. It's good trash and I love the reckless pace burning through the book plot for no reason when Brakebills is the only set they can afford. It's doomed to turn into shamefully low budget Tales From Fillory like the season finale but seems like a fun trainwreck. Huge fan of Penny and the show's obsession with swears and boobs they can't actually air.

I was seeing commercials to watch Season 1 "uncensored" on-demand and I was curious what the hell was there, until I finally realized it was all the curses that Magicians bleeps out and my mind just fills in for them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You can watch it on Netflix without any bleeps too.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

GreenNight posted:

Thats how I watched it. S2E1 was hilarious because I swear so much irl I never noticed just how much they swear in Magicians.

I love this garbage show so much

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

GreenNight posted:

Watching the season premiere on cable was weird at first. I mean it was always weird, but different.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It be fair, they BARELY censor it on the broadcast. They like cut out a tiny bit of the 'u' and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said my mind just fills it in. They're so clear about it that my head just covers the one syllable they pull out and I don't even notice its censored. That's why it took me awhile to figure out what was "uncensored" about the On Demand/Netflix episodes.