Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Thanks to Australian law and not bothering to get my license until I was nearly 30 I get to hang out in the inside lane at all times lest I annoy the poo poo out of people who can do 110 km/h while I'm stuck at 100 km/h. Driving on the motorway today I got to hang out behind a guy who continuously cycled between 80 and 100 and the middle lane had too much traffic for me to get around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, I've been "trapped" in the fast lane by traffic to my right that has either decided to speed up prior to a speed limit increase, or just to completely ignore a speed limit drop. I move over ASAP, but I'm not going to not overtake someone doing 100 in a 110 because I think they're the sort of moron who will then do 100 in a 90.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I've been "trapped" in the fast lane by traffic to my right that has either decided to speed up prior to a speed limit increase, or just to completely ignore a speed limit drop. I move over ASAP, but I'm not going to not overtake someone doing 100 in a 110 because I think they're the sort of moron who will then do 100 in a 90.

If it wasn't for the licence restrictions and high police presence I would have gone faster tbh. Double demerits suck butt and I had the fun of loosing my licence for speeding once when I got caught by a speed camera in a school zone literally the first day back at work for the year as a teacher so I don't push my luck

Edit: In Australia the fast lane is the left lane while the right is the slow lane. We do everything backwards over here

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

If it wasn't for the licence restrictions and high police presence I would have gone faster tbh. Double demerits suck butt and I had the fun of loosing my licence for speeding once when I got caught by a speed camera in a school zone literally the first day back at work for the year as a teacher so I don't push my luck

Edit: In Australia the fast lane is the left lane while the right is the slow lane. We do everything backwards over here

Oh, for sure, I didn't mean to make it look like I was replying directly to your post, I was just talking about slow-lane fast-lane dynamics in general. My New Year's resolution was to stop speeding so much, and trying to follow the speed limit has demonstrated aptly just how lovely other drivers are. Apparently, when approaching an increase in speed limit, the correct place to accelerate is as soon as you can see the sign in the distance, and when approaching a reduction in speed limit the appropriate place to slow down is "N/A, because I'm just gonna keep doing the same speed." I'm sick of people overtaking me at 70 in a 50, and then having to overtake them at 80 in the 80 zone as they're still doing 70.

I mean, even when I basically ignored the speed limit, I'd still take care to drive at a specific amount over the speed limit, the specific amount increasing as the speed limit increased. It seems most people will speed more as the speed limit goes down, which just makes no sense to me.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PT6A posted:

Oh, for sure, I didn't mean to make it look like I was replying directly to your post, I was just talking about slow-lane fast-lane dynamics in general. My New Year's resolution was to stop speeding so much, and trying to follow the speed limit has demonstrated aptly just how lovely other drivers are. Apparently, when approaching an increase in speed limit, the correct place to accelerate is as soon as you can see the sign in the distance, and when approaching a reduction in speed limit the appropriate place to slow down is "N/A, because I'm just gonna keep doing the same speed." I'm sick of people overtaking me at 70 in a 50, and then having to overtake them at 80 in the 80 zone as they're still doing 70.

I mean, even when I basically ignored the speed limit, I'd still take care to drive at a specific amount over the speed limit, the specific amount increasing as the speed limit increased. It seems most people will speed more as the speed limit goes down, which just makes no sense to me.

I see that every day. My commute home (after I leave the bumper to bumper stuff) goes from 65mph, where everyone goes 70-75, to 75mph, where everyone goes 70-75 (and I'm trying to do 80) to a divided two-lane road where the speed limit is 55, where everyone goes 70-75 (while I'm doing 60).

I tend to try to run at about 5 over, as I feel like it's pretty safe from getting a ticket as they are normally hunting the isolated guys that are playing Mario Andretti, but the way people just run at whatever speed they like no matter what the actual speed limit is will continue to make me shake my head. It's especially crazy on that 55mph road since about 1.5 miles after leaving the interstate there is a little rise where another road crosses (They've built it all up for a future interchange style crossing and the state troopers just LOVE parking on the opposite side of that where nobody can see them until coming over the rise. I use my cruise control to make sure I'm at about 58 as I top that thing, yet the troopers have a never-ending supply of 70mph folks to pull over and write tickets.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think part of it is that I both enjoy and feel comfortable at speeds well above the speed limit in most places (to the point that I would never do those speeds on public roads), so I'm always referencing the speed limit to see either what's legal or what's not-too-illegal, whereas the oblivious people I described in my earlier post don't give a gently caress about the speed limit at all, and just have a far lower max speed where they feel comfortable.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Locator posted:

Ironwood road and the 10 :allears:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Today:

-A dumptruck spewed its load all over the middle lane on 894 in Milwaukee for a good mile
-Someone was going 60 mph in a 70 mph zone in the LEFT LANE, nearly causing me to rear end someone behind them (I had checked my shoulder to move to the middle lane and nearly rear ended the guy because I came up on him too fast)
-No less than 5 /gray/ cars without lights on while overcast and raining.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Ironwood road and the 10

Ironwood Road doesn't even intersect I-10 does it?

The spot I was referring to is Broadway and SR85 heading S after exiting I-10.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hah, that too. And I muck up the 10 and 60 in my head all the time.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Going down I-75 last night there were plenty of people cruising in the left, as usual. A Cadillac comes roaring up behind the cruisers, and surprisingly a pickup sees it coming and starts moving over. The Caddy doesn't have time for this and drives half on the shoulder, half in the lane as he squeezes past the guy and tailgates the next dude. No one else moved over for it so it just weaved around fruitlessly for a while and then took the next exit.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sleepy.eyes posted:

Going down I-75 last night there were plenty of people cruising in the left, as usual. A Cadillac comes roaring up behind the cruisers, and surprisingly a pickup sees it coming and starts moving over. The Caddy doesn't have time for this and drives half on the shoulder, half in the lane as he squeezes past the guy and tailgates the next dude. No one else moved over for it so it just weaved around fruitlessly for a while and then took the next exit.

Raise your hand if you ever get the temptation to box these jackasses in.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Temptation? gently caress, I drive a $500 beater with a wrecked fender and a dashcam, that poo poo is my patriotic duty.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Lots of people like to run red left turn arrows here. I spotted two this week, the second being a delivery driver for a local bakery/cafe. Not sure the first guy even noticed it wasn't his turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfor5La1UVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WVkxBlNlp8

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I saw a really cut and dry accident on the interstate and am wondering if it's worth calling in. Rear ender due to stopped traffic.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://i.imgur.com/O5Dl7vc.mp4

from
http://imgur.com/gallery/dcDUp

Source is from Mexico, but nothing else known.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

So, random question. I see people bitching all the time about people driving with their fog lights when it's not foggy. I've been driving 20 years and never once been bothered by someone's fog lights, except occasionally on some HIDZZZZZ civic that mounted some high beams down there or some crap. Rear fog lights are weird, but also not really all that bothersome, although they're really uncommon and I've never seen them on both sides of the rear, just like one really bright tail light.

Either way it's never bothered me, so I guess I'm curious why all the rage about people driving around with their fogs on? Even in dark conditions with wet roads I don't think it makes enough impact to make a difference in the slightest.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

shortspecialbus posted:

although they're really uncommon and I've never seen them on both sides of the rear, just like one really bright tail light.

I think this is because those idiots drive around with them on 24/7 and they tend to burn out fast and not get replaced. Rear-facing fogs can be really bright on a clear evening, since they're made to be seen through actual fog. I wish that people would realize it and turn them the gently caress off.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
On some cars the rear fogs make it all but impossible to see the brake lights, on others they've dazzlingly bright.

As for one light vs two that depends on the car - my Japanese Nissans both had a foglamp on one side and a reverse lamp on the other whereas a lot of European cars do the two foglamps

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Stock headlights on some newer cars are way worse than any foglights I've ever seen.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I don't care if someone's lights burn out early, that's their problem and doesn't bug me at all.

I can kind of understand the rear fogs being a problem, maybe they're just less common in Wisconsin. I have a rear fog that I put on my WRX that's always on, but it's a normal brightness and is basically just a 4th brakelight that is normal "lights are on" brightness normally and goes brighter (and flashes for a couple seconds) when braking, I can't see that bothering anyone (aside from maybe being kind of 2fast2furious) but my wife got it for me and if it helps at all with not being rear ended then w/e.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Cage posted:

Stock headlights on some newer cars are way worse than any foglights I've ever seen.

yeah some of the new ones are almost as obnoxious as the cheapie ebay poo poo HiD lights.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

shortspecialbus posted:

I have a rear fog that I put on my WRX that's always on, but it's a normal brightness and is basically just a 4th brakelight that is normal "lights are on" brightness normally and goes brighter (and flashes for a couple seconds) when braking, I can't see that bothering anyone (aside from maybe being kind of 2fast2furious) but my wife got it for me and if it helps at all with not being rear ended then w/e.

What you're describing is an auxiliary tail/brake light.

A rear fog light's brightness level is similar to having your brake lights on all the time...now imagine being stuck behind a car like that for several miles. It gets old fast.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Geoj posted:

What you're describing is an auxiliary tail/brake light.

A rear fog light's brightness level is similar to having your brake lights on all the time...now imagine being stuck behind a car like that for several miles. It gets old fast.

No, I know that, it's just in the spot of the rear fog on my car. Nothing around here has the rear fog except a couple Volvos and maybe a mercedes or two. I guess I've never found them all that annoying :shrug:

Edit: VVVV I guess I just don't mind the brightness. I also NEVER wear sunglasses except when I'm kayaking and that's just because polarized sunglasses help to see neat fish. I don't think I'm all that light sensitive, maybe. Who knows.

ssb fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 28, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I've been behind cars with rear fogs on in clear weather and can confirm it gets annoying fast. It's real bright.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've kinda been wishing I had a rear fog on my car lately. We moved into an older style house recently where the garage was built later on and is behind the house. When it's dark and raining out it's goddamn impossible to back down the driveway without touching grass.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Uhhh... You want a reversing light, then?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If that's what you prefer to call it, sure.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Well, they're two different things. You want a reversing light. A fog light is in case someone comes up behind you in fog.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Get some white high power LEDs for your reverse lights. My car went from "it kind of illuminates things 5-10 feet behind you" to "everything behind you is lit past 50' and you can actually see where you're going."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

While we're talking about annoying loving lights, is there some reason why school buses have unbelievably bright strobes on them? Like, I can see a bus just fine. However, if the loving strobe blinds me, I can't see anything else for a second.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

These are the people you share a Coast Guard search and rescue team with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46A7eYkCRI8

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PT6A posted:

While we're talking about annoying loving lights, is there some reason why school buses have unbelievably bright strobes on them? Like, I can see a bus just fine. However, if the loving strobe blinds me, I can't see anything else for a second.

Because they often operate in the early morning (because school schedules are loving insane) and dark mornings, fog, bad weather that's not bad enough to close school, etc. combined with a vehicle that makes regular stops means they want to make sure you always know they're there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also not once did I ever ride in a school bus with seatbelts as a kid. I assume these days it's the same. If a loaded school bus gets in an accident it's gonna be kid gibs everywhere, if there's a snowball's chance in hell of a strobe light on the roof preventing that I suppose it's worth it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

FCKGW posted:

These are the people you share a Coast Guard search and rescue team with

Should have left him out there. I am sure we don't need his genes in the pool.

I am sad that he is unlikely to get a bill for his rescue.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

xzzy posted:

Also not once did I ever ride in a school bus with seatbelts as a kid. I assume these days it's the same. If a loaded school bus gets in an accident it's gonna be kid gibs everywhere, if there's a snowball's chance in hell of a strobe light on the roof preventing that I suppose it's worth it.

Children are fuckers who will happily destroy any seatbelt not visible to the driver, so just not having them is a cheaper way to get to the same situation (the bus containing zero working belts)

Anything short of a train is going to lose to a bus in a collision anyway, those things are built like tanks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsoGFBwstkU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Jesus, what the gently caress?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What's the betting a car matching that description was in a hit and run or drink driving incident the night before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Does he have the parking brake pulled? What the gently caress?