Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the sales are pretty good, or they should be considering just about every major YouTube reviewer has basically said "this game is loving incredible".

I thought I was gonna finish Kiryu's first chapter tonight, and then I discovered slot car racing. WHY IS THIS SO FUN

Is there supposed to be an embargo against streaming this? I noticed that everyone who streams it (including when I tried) has the "comments cannot be displayed because you entered a blocked scene" message. I'd hate my streaming career to get shut down right as I start it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

precision posted:

I think the sales are pretty good, or they should be considering just about every major YouTube reviewer has basically said "this game is loving incredible".

I thought I was gonna finish Kiryu's first chapter tonight, and then I discovered slot car racing. WHY IS THIS SO FUN

Is there supposed to be an embargo against streaming this? I noticed that everyone who streams it (including when I tried) has the "comments cannot be displayed because you entered a blocked scene" message. I'd hate my streaming career to get shut down right as I start it...

Blocked streaming is just something set up on a system level, it's trivial to get past it and Twitch doesn't kick you off or anything for it.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

lets hang out posted:

ugh its so hard to get the timing for the disco minigame

I only have issues with circle prompts because the outline is hard for me to see, but sometimes it does feel a bit wonky trying to get perfect presses.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Sorry if it's been asked already, but where are the slot car races located? Are they marked on the map?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

plz dont pull out posted:

Sorry if it's been asked already, but where are the slot car races located? Are they marked on the map?

They're in the upper-left of Kiryu's area, pretty small and hard to notice.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

precision posted:

People were longing for a game that says "this is what Japanese Game Devs can do when they are not porting games to the Vita which makes up mostly of horrible shovelware. Gio wanted someone that gives people reason to buy a PS4 and Yakuza 0 and 6 and by far definitions on why you should buy one.

The last 6 years had been a case of disappointment for those who like Japanese games but not crazy enough to buy the shovelware crap from Tamsoft or CH.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gyrobot posted:

People were longing for a game that says "this is what Japanese Game Devs can do when they are not porting games to the Vita which makes up mostly of horrible shovelware. Gio wanted someone that gives people reason to buy a PS4 and Yakuza 0 and 6 and by far definitions on why you should buy one.

The last 6 years had been a case of disappointment for those who like Japanese games but not crazy enough to buy the shovelware crap from Tamsoft or CH.

... Uh, what?

Even if you somehow thought that was true, I'm pretty sure the critically-and-commerically hailed Dark Souls/Bloodborne games would count as the 'proof that Japanese game developers can do well" before Yakuza would.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

They're in the upper-left of Kiryu's area, pretty small and hard to notice.

Thanks! Got started on real estate and I'm pretty sure I'm not picking up the story again till I take over each territory. The urge to watch numbers go up is way too strong.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

... Uh, what?

Even if you somehow thought that was true, I'm pretty sure the critically-and-commerically hailed Dark Souls/Bloodborne games would count as the 'proof that Japanese game developers can do well" before Yakuza would.

Hell, JP game devs have been doing a sight better than western ones for a while now, on the whole.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

... Uh, what?

Gyros a nutjob

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Gyros a nutjob

Around the time Yakuza 5 was announced there was only mobile game announcements and mediocre games as well as Capcom being dicks.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
GOTY

https://twitter.com/digitaldiatribe/status/825582161470246915

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Aw it didn't include a screenshot with Nugget's property management stats which are pretty good.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Aw it didn't include a screenshot with Nugget's property management stats which are pretty good.

I pressed X too fast. :negative:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I really like the Completion List this time around, what with it being less exhaustive about what it wants from you, being linked to Completion Points that you cash in for unique bonuses, and the game actually telling you if you've completed one, but I hate that there seem to be a bunch of "gotcha" ones. One in particular that bugs me is the one for the UFO Catcher, where it asks for 5 unique items and when you complete it they bump it up to 10 but there's no in-game listing as far as I can tell that says which UFO Catcher items you've already collected.

I do like that the List itself seems to be geared towards getting you to see the newest mini-game content rather than bashing your face into the entire plethora of it. The Coliseum getting drummed out to general completions and simple Yen Earned objectives on perennial rear end in a top hat games like Baseball while new games like Disco Dancing and Slot Car Racing get full treatment for CP is a great idea, mainly because gently caress the batting cages.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Policenaut posted:

One in particular that bugs me is the one for the UFO Catcher, where it asks for 5 unique items and when you complete it they bump it up to 10 but there's no in-game listing as far as I can tell that says which UFO Catcher items you've already collected.

This but 'use different HEAT moves'. Man, that'll suck.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the people who thought the kamoji training was good should be shot out of a cannon into the sun

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Sakurazuka posted:

Speaking of is there a decent guide anywhere for Kenzan aimed at people who know no Japanese? I bought it on a trip there ages ago, but my attempts to play it never met with any great success.

I've been playing along with Egomaniac's LP and it's been a pretty good time. It's crazy how much they improved on 2 and made it feel like a real game in just one iteration.

http://lparchive.org/Ryuu-ga-Gotoku-Kenzan/

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

lets hang out posted:

the people who thought the kamoji training was good should be shot out of a cannon into the sun

I honestly thought the Slugger training is far worse. At least with Thug training I could knock him down and cave in the old mans rib cage.

I just completed chapter 4. Right now I am mostly pissed at the neogaf thread for this game for spoiling the cliffhanger in the OP.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 29, 2017

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I honestly thought the Slugger training is far worse.

It's possible to mash through Slugger training by blocking his strings, then doing the nunchaku combo, then going right back to blocking. Works on basically all his stuff.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Stelas posted:

It's possible to mash through Slugger training by blocking his strings, then doing the nunchaku combo, then going right back to blocking. Works on basically all his stuff.

Except that he does that bullshit block-dodge that leaves you wide open to whatever he feels like doing due to the slow recovery.

And honestly I would have forgiven that if he didn't have so much HP that it just makes it a slog.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Except that he does that bullshit block-dodge that leaves you wide open to whatever he feels like doing due to the slow recovery.

Majima's nunchaku spin has some super armor, and you can turn to track a guy you're fighting with it to some extent. It's not foolproof, but I did cheese through most of his weapon training with it.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I wish any of Majimas styles were good against Mr. Shakedown. They have so many recovery animations that can gently caress you up, i don't feel safe fighting them without consumables unlike with kiryu

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Also, gently caress queen of passion hard.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I'm not sure what I did, but I just had my game stop responding to inputs in the cabaret girl customization screen right after I did the first rival battle. I'm so mad right now. I spent so much goddamn time getting my princess perfectly pretty, and didn't save immediately after the battle. I guess that's as good a sign as any to quit playing for the day.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Kiryu's disappointed look at his slot car when you lose is precious.

After growing up playing slot cars a ton with my dad I never knew I wanted an awesome slot car game.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I wish any of Majimas styles were good against Mr. Shakedown. They have so many recovery animations that can gently caress you up, i don't feel safe fighting them without consumables unlike with kiryu

How do you beat Mr. Shakedown with Kiryu? I found it pretty difficult but with Majima, I just keep downing Tauriners and locking them down with heat moves.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Brawler is pretty good, two, three safe hits, backoff , repeat. If he does the windup punch, you can go for a full combo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the only thing I dislike about the game so far is any mission that's like "fetch me X" and then I have to go to like 5 loving convenience stores to find out which one sells your dumbass candy box/beer/dildo. I think it only happened twice with the homeless dudes and the real estate thing so next time I'm just using an FAQ for that poo poo, it's annoying.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

my gf was amused up until the ufo catcher game

she has not stopped in like a half an hour lol

this game rules

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I cannot win the chicken. I cannot do it.

I played 20 sets of 10 and best I can do is two and then I choke. This sucks

I finally did it on the last 3 sets after two hours. Trick is hitting two pixels off center with 98/100 power.

I'm legit good at the ufo catcher tho. I spent hours on that.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 29, 2017

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
mr. shakedown gets really loving tough after you beat him 4 times. He gets a running grab move that instantly kills you even on easy and it's pretty much impossible to dodge on like half the areas you can encounter him in. This whole mechanic sucks.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

To be fair, with a secret wallet you lose nothing. The running grab is highly telegraphed and I never got hit by that, I lose by being too greedy. Sotenbori has one with 1,5 billion yen, I've defeated them 8 times or so and his healthbar is deep purple and it just takes too long.

The bowling thing is horse poo poo , cause you cannot get the building without winning Nugget

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Stelas posted:

This but 'use different HEAT moves'. Man, that'll suck.

If you press triangle on the CP Checklist, it switches to a list of all the collectivles.

You can check what Heat moves you've done in particular. It's all itemized and broken down by character and style too.

If you press triangle on the ability upgrade screen (the actual grid) it'll also give you an overview of what heat moves you actually know.

Getting Majima will probably make it work faster though, since it's stabby things galore.

plz dont pull out posted:

They're not marked originally, but there's a small park in the northwest (really north of the mach bowl) and there should be a dude who will introduce it to you and then mark it on the map as a diversion

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

The bowling thing is horse poo poo , cause you cannot get the building without winning Nugget

Yea I've got real close a few times, that challenge is annoying as hell.

Please tell me I don't actually need the building to end the gambling king?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

VoLaTiLe posted:

Yea I've got real close a few times, that challenge is annoying as hell.

Please tell me I don't actually need the building to end the gambling king?

You probably don't, but it'll take longer and you gotta invest more

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Is there an easier way to find and buy new property than stopping every couple of feet to mash my guy into the nearest doorway and hammer x just in case that doorway is the magic doorway to a building I can buy?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Is there an easier way to find and buy new property than stopping every couple of feet to mash my guy into the nearest doorway and hammer x just in case that doorway is the magic doorway to a building I can buy?

Yeah here you go.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MinibarMatchman posted:

the only thing I dislike about the game so far is any mission that's like "fetch me X" and then I have to go to like 5 loving convenience stores to find out which one sells your dumbass candy box/beer/dildo. I think it only happened twice with the homeless dudes and the real estate thing so next time I'm just using an FAQ for that poo poo, it's annoying.

Ha, I just did the homeless fetch quest last night and I actually loved it for some reason though I didn't end up wasting any time, I got two of the items from the Poppo with the named girl in it near the park, then took a cab up to M Store, then took a cab back down to Don Quixote for the Champagne like the game told me to. Along the way, I ran into and resolved like 3 substories, which I think is intentional design. It seems very well put together to where as long as you keep taking different routes around town for the story stuff you'll literally run right into the substories.

The little quest to get the kid his copy of Totally Not Dragon Quest 3 was great. Everything is great. 5 really didn't so much feel like an "upgrade" to 4 as it was just "4 but with more locations" but half the locations were pretty lame (Saejima's town suuuuuuuucks). This game feels like the first time they really went into it thinking "we need to change up a bunch of poo poo and drag this series forward", especially with things like CP which make it actually tempting to get the Platinum instead of just an insane pipe dream.

I've played 12 hours and I'm not even in chapter 3 yet. I can't imagine this won't end up being my GOTY.

e: I'm pretty sure one of the sidequests involved me helping get Guitar Wolf their big break

precision fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

I just did the Miracle Johnson substory and he is amazing.

I should really know this but who was Louis supposed to be?