Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Carbon dioxide posted:

What the hell do you people do with recruiters trying to become LinkedIn connections? I feel like accepting them is just asking for spam, especially because I heard they mostly find you underpaid temp jobs. But I wonder if refusing/ignoring them could hurt my chances in the future.

Unless they're sending you garbage, accept them. That's their job, they want to develop a list of contacts that they can reach out to for jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Carbon dioxide posted:

What the hell do you people do with recruiters trying to become LinkedIn connections? I feel like accepting them is just asking for spam, especially because I heard they mostly find you underpaid temp jobs. But I wonder if refusing/ignoring them could hurt my chances in the future.
You're thinking of Sales people, as full of poo poo as LinkedIn is people do score legit jobs and interviews from it. Think of it similar to that "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" phrase, there's no harm in having them on your list doing nothing compared to not being there at all.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I always accept. Never had much of a spam issue from linked in either

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Walked posted:

I always accept. Never had much of a spam issue from linked in either

Same. And I got my current job through a LI recruiter.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

LochNessMonster posted:

Same. And I got my current job through a LI recruiter.

Same here. Updated my profile in November, 4 interview invites since and I started in the present place in 15th January.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I stopped doing it. Everytime one position opens up somewhere nearby I'll get a few connects on it and I can't be assed anymore.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
tonight my gal and I (after almost giving up due to difficulty) ended up hoisting a queen mattress and bedframe into a loft using a ream of cat6 shielded cable.

sysadmin for lyfe, do the loving needful

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This is fine, you can keep your IT card, as long as you don't try to use it as a networking cable ever again.

:cawg:

mewse
May 2, 2006

mindphlux posted:

tonight my gal and I (after almost giving up due to difficulty) ended up hoisting a queen mattress and bedframe into a loft using a ream of cat6 shielded cable.

Whoever suggested rope does not have a tech background

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Internet Explorer posted:

This is fine, you can keep your IT card, as long as you don't try to use it as a networking cable ever again.

:cawg:

already terminated it and installed it in a client's production server rack.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
What's the soonest you've started to feel burnt out on a job?

I got a :yotj: at a colocation business in December. No red flags during initial contact, interview went fine with no bullshit, got put on a very short list for my experience making a thin client architecture from scratch. Everything was fine until after my two-week assessment; I saw the list of things I was supposed to have been tested on, and almost shat my pants. The tl;dr is that they want me to pass the Microsoft 70-410 within three months of hiring, while also learning both CentOS and Debian, massively detailed knowledge of networking, and scripting in at least three programming languages. All at the same time. For $30,000 per year (before taxes).

If it was just the hard work I wouldn't necessarily have a problem, but learning all this is going to prohibit me from doing what I love, which is being a hardware expert. There are no hardware decisions to be made in this company since they bulk buy everything and have very limited choices in what kind of server you can have, and my other interest in virtualization is not happening because it will take at least 18 months before I'm allowed into the back end of that.

It hasn't even been two months and I'm already feeling like it's difficult to go on. I'm being pulled in literally every conceivable direction and it's implied I'm going to be fired if I can't keep the pace they want. My question for the thread is, how normal is this? How boned am I?

RyuHimora fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 30, 2017

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

RyuHimora posted:

I got a :yotg: at a colocation business in December. No red flags during initial contact, interview went fine with no bullshit, got put on a very short list for my experience making a thin client architecture from scratch. Everything was fine until after my two-week assessment; I saw the list of things I was supposed to have been tested on, and almost shat my pants. The tl;dr is that they want me to pass the Microsoft 70-410 within three months of hiring, while also learning both CentOS and Debian, massively detailed knowledge of networking, and scripting in at least three programming languages. All at the same time. For $30,000 per year (before taxes).

If it was just the hard work I wouldn't necessarily have a problem, but learning all this is going to prohibit me from doing what I love, which is being a hardware expert. There are no hardware decisions to be made in this company since they bulk buy everything and have very limited choices in what kind of server you can have, and my other interest in virtualization is not happening because it will take at least 18 months before I'm allowed into the back end of that.

It hasn't even been two months and I'm already feeling like it's difficult to go on. I'm being pulled in literally every conceivable direction and it's implied I'm going to be fired if I can't keep the pace they want. My question for the thread is, how normal is this? How boned am I?

:psyboom:

That sounds insane! Surely they have a plan to get you on that level?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I don't quite follow. These are just things you're :airquote: supposed :airquote: to know? What's the work been like for the last few weeks, how many of the things listed have been relevant to what you're doing so far?

Virtualization is definitely cool, but so is networking and Linux. Virtualization is kind of a meta skill anyway, it incorporates all of the other skills you've listed. It does seems weird to me that virtualization would be explicitly excluded from your otherwise broad scope of work. You're always welcome to ask questions here or in one of the other IT threads. Someone will be able to help you if you're feeling stuck.

As to feeling threatened that you'll be fired, please just remember that they're putting in a non-trivial investment into bringing you on in the first place. They want you to succeed and it would be stupid of them to cut that short.

I've had 3 jobs now in the last couple years and I've felt extremely stressed out in the beginning of all of them. I'll definitely feel the same way at the next one. It can absolutely be intimidating to be thrown into the deep-end. Hang in there man, I believe in you. No reason to believe you're boned yet :)

Methanar fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 30, 2017

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

For $30,000 being passable at any one of those skills would demand a massive raise.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
We just hired a guy for 53k who can't do any of that whatsoever and there's no pressure on him to become great at any of them. Did you take a job at rogue beer company?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Yeah that's an insane ask at 30k even if you're not at a major city :chloe:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Yeah holy poo poo we hire basically fresh nerds with zero real world experience short of a 2 year IT type degree and maybe building personal systems, at 38k a year.... and this is a lovely poor town in the rust-belt where you can buy a small decent livable house for 50k.

You're getting screwed.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If they're happy to train you, give you time to lab and then take and pass the exams then do that and get out. But it sounds like they aren't fussed about actually letting you achieve those goals.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

RyuHimora posted:

I got a :yotj: at a colocation business in December. No red flags during initial contact, interview went fine with no bullshit, got put on a very short list for my experience making a thin client architecture from scratch. Everything was fine until after my two-week assessment; I saw the list of things I was supposed to have been tested on, and almost shat my pants. The tl;dr is that they want me to pass the Microsoft 70-410 within three months of hiring, while also learning both CentOS and Debian, massively detailed knowledge of networking, and scripting in at least three programming languages. All at the same time. For $30,000 per year (before taxes).

Get. The. gently caress. Out. Of. There.

Modulo16 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 30, 2017

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

air- posted:

There's a ton of good online vendors, but elaborating on what else are you looking to learn would help narrow down ideas.

oh, yeah. Sorry. Stuff relevant to my job, and my weakest areas would be networking and virtualization, and I have an interest in Security.
ETA: I am currently studying for the CompTIA network, then I'm gonna do Security+, but, well, you know.

Internet Explorer posted:

At the very least see if they'll spring for a CBTNuggets account for you guys.

I'll see after my first month. My boss sorta chuckled and said "Maybe focus on the new position for a month" when I brought up textbook reimbursement before. Sorry bossman, too much enthusiasm for the moment.

Bunni-kat fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 30, 2017

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

RyuHimora posted:

I can't explain how completely you're being robbed, but you are. Without knowing any of that poo poo, that's a 48-55k job.

What's your actual title?

To answer your questions: Incredibly abnormal to the point of being insane. Second question: You're totally boned, gtfo.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

mindphlux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB_KCzyfsOA

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mindphlux posted:

already terminated it and installed it in a client's production server rack.

you're my IT hero

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

Sefal posted:

That sounds insane! Surely they have a plan to get you on that level?

Methanar posted:

I don't quite follow. These are just things you're :airquote: supposed :airquote: to know? What's the work been like for the last few weeks, how many of the things listed have been relevant to what you're doing so far?

Thanks Ants posted:

But it sounds like they aren't fussed about actually letting you achieve those goals.

The "plan" is for me to pass the 70-410 after 12 weeks. From my previous windows experience, I'm already passing a little more than half the practice exam questions, so that's not what I'm worried about. The problem is that I'm apparently expected to train myself on all of this stuff in addition to studying and working on cases. I work evening shift (3 PM to midnight), and I was hired as the fourth person so that there wouldn't be nights with only two people on duty, but they just moved the shift lead to days, so now it's just me and one other person except for one day a week. The internal wiki is not complete and has a poo poo search algorithm, so it's not even easy to look up what I need to know, if it exists at all. The entire onboarding process has been a shitshow, in retrospect.

alg posted:

For $30,000 being passable at any one of those skills would demand a massive raise.

Sepist posted:

We just hired a guy for 53k who can't do any of that whatsoever and there's no pressure on him to become great at any of them. Did you take a job at rogue beer company?

air- posted:

Yeah that's an insane ask at 30k even if you're not at a major city :chloe:

Nerdrock posted:

You're getting screwed.

Supposedly once I'm done training I'll be getting a raise... of $0.50 per hour. Thinking about it now, that should have been a red flag. I don't know what the turnover rate here is, but apparently people haven't been quitting, so I'm not sure what's going on there. I was also told that the only reason I started as high as 30k per year is because of my previous experience, so it's possible the other people in my hiring group aren't being paid even that much. I should point out that this is my first job that wasn't provided by a family member, so I was not in the best negotiating position.

DigitalMocking posted:

What's your actual title?

Junior Network Administrator. But the duties I'm performing are anything but 'junior'.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

RyuHimora posted:

The problem is that I'm apparently expected to train myself on all of this stuff in addition to studying and working on cases.

Just learn it at the rate you need to to complete the cases. If you've got someone with a NAT issue, then that's a great time to learn NAT!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

RyuHimora posted:

Junior Network Administrator. But the duties I'm performing are anything but 'junior'.

If you're not obligated to pay them back after doing those courses/certs, :sever:

That sort of misery is never worth it.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

oh, yeah. Sorry. Stuff relevant to my job, and my weakest areas would be networking and virtualization, and I have an interest in Security.
ETA: I am currently studying for the CompTIA network, then I'm gonna do Security+, but, well, you know.

I'll see after my first month. My boss sorta chuckled and said "Maybe focus on the new position for a month" when I brought up textbook reimbursement before. Sorry bossman, too much enthusiasm for the moment.

Besides CBTNuggets, I have access to a buddy's IT Pro TV account and it's not bad too.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

RyuHimora posted:

Supposedly once I'm done training I'll be getting a raise... of $0.50 per hour. Thinking about it now, that should have been a red flag. I don't know what the turnover rate here is, but apparently people haven't been quitting, so I'm not sure what's going on there. I was also told that the only reason I started as high as 30k per year is because of my previous experience, so it's possible the other people in my hiring group aren't being paid even that much. I should point out that this is my first job that wasn't provided by a family member, so I was not in the best negotiating position.

Leave. ASAP.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

RyuHimora posted:

I really hope you live in bum gently caress no where because 30k for that job is crazy. We start our help desk idiots who only answer phones and enter tickets at almost 40k.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RyuHimora posted:

Supposedly once I'm done training I'll be getting a raise... of $0.50 per hour.

Omfg leave

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MiniFoo posted:

Leave. ASAP.

Seriously, get the gently caress out of there as fast as possible. It is not a healthy work environment. Even if you were willing to accept this amount of money and being asked to do this amount of work, there will always be something there to gently caress you over.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Raises in IT should be specified in 4 figure increments on salary. Raises in per hour format tells me the employer doesn't care about me long-term.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

mattfl posted:

I really hope you live in bum gently caress no where

San Diego, California. :(

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

RyuHimora posted:

Get the gently caress outta here? Seriously?!

You need to leave, like right the gently caress now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RyuHimora posted:

Dude I'm not even a yankee doodle boy like you and I know that's hosed up.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CLAM DOWN posted:

Dude I'm not even a yankee doodle boy like you and I know that's hosed up.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Sepist posted:

I stopped doing it. Everytime one position opens up somewhere nearby I'll get a few connects on it and I can't be assed anymore.

People can send you messages about a job without having to connect first, well at least maybe if they are paying for LinkedIn Live Gold+ Season Pass or whatever its called.
I will add someone after I talk to them on the phone or if I know the company they are working for is good.

I'm getting pushed out now from a job I wanted to leave. Would have liked to find new employment first, but management decided to just handle it as a down sizing. They hired some new manager which freed up my old one for doing more technical work and less meetings and wrangling. Both are technical anyway, and half my work went to a guy they hired 6 or so months ago before the re-org. So basically no choice now.

At least I'll have time for job hunting but I hate things being up in the air, and interviewing sucks. I'm having mixed feelings, like tired of dealing with this garbage but also not looking forward to uncertainty. At least I have money saved up and my state has good unemployment insurance.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

air- posted:

Besides CBTNuggets, I have access to a buddy's IT Pro TV account and it's not bad too.

Both are now noted and ready to spring on my boss, because holy poo poo there's a training budget, and I'm gonna use the hell out of it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
$30,000 in San Diego? Is that even enough to afford to breathe?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

RyuHimora posted:

Holy gently caress NO. Run like hell :wtf:

I have a buddy in Prague with more experience and he gets paid a slight bit than you. Plus considering the far lower cost of living there + all the other perks of working in Europe... jesus gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

RyuHimora posted:

dude 30k in san diego is highway robbery

RyuHimora posted:

I was also told that the only reason I started as high as 30k per year is because of my previous experience, so it's possible the other people in my hiring group aren't being paid even that much.

that was almost certainly a lie