Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I'm very surprised at the performance of the 460 15 MacBook Pro with games. Going 55+ FPS on high/very high on AAA titles is very good. All of the trouble it's getting is probably related to the 450 models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Meanwhile gaming on my m370x is a miserable experience. I stick to my desktop for that

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mac Pro 4,1 can still be had for ~$500. Flash to 5,1 and you can run Sierra and Win10 no problem.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I'm very surprised at the performance of the 460 15 MacBook Pro with games. Going 55+ FPS on high/very high on AAA titles is very good. All of the trouble it's getting is probably related to the 450 models.

This is a reassuring post, thank you. :ohdear:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

tuyop posted:

This is a reassuring post, thank you. :ohdear:

You have to adjust screen res and sometimes run windows but I am consistently getting 50 plus fps in the games I enjoy. It's close to what 965m laptops are playing at with the other hardware and optimizations.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Get a Mac.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just went to the Apple Store and compared all the models...you were right about the air-the display looks like poo poo. I don't like the keyboard of the MacBooks either, so that leaves me with the Pro, as far as I can see.

This model in particular:

Now, all I'm using it for is excel grad school stuff and the internet, probably some Netflix or zwift with my bike...so I'm guessing this is probably overkill.

Any reason not to get this or grab something else instead? Not a fan of buying something two years old, but I don't want the price increase of a new MacBook Pro either.

Also, I'm not opposed to refurbished, and I'm military and a student if that matters at all-I know an education discount is offered.

nwin fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 29, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

Steam in home streaming is amazing if you're hell-bent on playing games on macOS.

I put together a little headless PC with a pascal GPU and stream all the games to my rMBP at 2800x1800 with ultra details and 60fps. Delay over 802.11ac is only 20-40ms thanks to hardware encoding/decoding. Alt-Tab works as usual, no dualbooting required, supports all windows games, doesn't use local SSD space, rMBP stays silent and cool, battery lasts forever when I'm on the couch, etc.

Here's a 7,7MB screenshot of Project Cars with debug info/stats taken on my 2013 rMBP, best downloaded and viewed in full screen.
I can't see myself ever going back to "native" gaming, even though I don't play much these days.
Bonus: The machine will still be useful to me when I switch to Linux once this 2013 15" rMBP dies. :toot:

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
I have no idea where to ask this because I scrolled and couldn't find a dedicated tablet thread, but I've got a special needs child who uses an IPad.

He destroys cases. I mean DESTROYS cases. Not because he is rough and tumble with them (which he is) but he has pica and eats non food items for sensory input. Dude chomped a foam case, frayed apart a semi soft silicone cover, and most recently is working through some ballistic rubber and plastic case I bought.

He has an IPad 2, are there any hard plastic cases with soft innards for shock absorption anyone can recommend? I am desperate. He is on his third iPad because he destroyed the cases so hard on the others that they cracked the screens.

Even if you can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Just went to the Apple Store and compared all the models...you were right about the air-the display looks like poo poo. I don't like they keyboard if the MacBooks either, so that leaves me with the Pro, as far as I can see.

Any reason not to get this or grab something else instead? Not a fan of buying something two years old, but I don't want the price increase of a new MacBook Pro either.

Give the new keyboard a week.

Also, I'd buy a 2014 or 2015 13" Pro used and save half the cost of buying one new.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Captain Internet posted:

I have no idea where to ask this because I scrolled and couldn't find a dedicated tablet thread, but I've got a special needs child who uses an IPad.

He destroys cases. I mean DESTROYS cases. Not because he is rough and tumble with them (which he is) but he has pica and eats non food items for sensory input. Dude chomped a foam case, frayed apart a semi soft silicone cover, and most recently is working through some ballistic rubber and plastic case I bought.

He has an IPad 2, are there any hard plastic cases with soft innards for shock absorption anyone can recommend? I am desperate. He is on his third iPad because he destroyed the cases so hard on the others that they cracked the screens.

Which cases have you already tried? Otter box are a generic goto. I know Griffin makes a super tough case with built in shock absorbing too

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Jesus christ, give that poor kid some cigarettes so he has something to keep him busy.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bob Morales posted:

Give the new keyboard a week.

Also, I'd buy a 2014 or 2015 13" Pro used and save half the cost of buying one new.

Regarding the keyboard, you might be right, but for the price those MacBooks are going for, I also don't like the slower performance and the lack of available connections either. I'll be using it for a lot of typing too, so if that keyboard doesn't end up working out, then that's going to be a pain in the rear end.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Cyrano4747 posted:

Which cases have you already tried? Otter box are a generic goto. I know Griffin makes a super tough case with built in shock absorbing too

I did the first two kid friendly ones that popped up on amazon, and most recently a Ballistic Tough branded case.

I guess I'll pony up the extra twenty five bucks and hope it works out with the otter box.

Thank you for answering.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

FCKGW posted:

Mac Pro 4,1 can still be had for ~$500. Flash to 5,1 and you can run Sierra and Win10 no problem.

Yeah, this. Put in a X5690 and a GTX 980 and it'll still be a great experience.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would build a hackintosh before buying an eight‐year‐old Mac Pro, but maybe that’s just me.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

if you're looking purely for desktop there is really no reason not to get an older model upgradeable Mac mini for less than MBPs cost

I had not considered that and I will look into it.

Hadlock posted:

I would really hesitate to buy a PC with less than Ivy Bridge these days (mid 2012). That gets you USB 3.0, and way, way better thermals (less fan noise) and about 30% better battery life over the 2011 era CPUs.

For about $850 you can get a brand new Dell XPS 13 with all the latest bits plus 10 hour real world battery life and a warranty with comparable specs to a 2011 era i7.

Where are you seeing a comparable XPS? The baseline i3 XPS starts at $800, but the i7 starts at $1600. Or did you mean that the new i3 goes toe-to-toe with a 2012 i7?

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-13-9360-laptop

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Platystemon posted:

I would build a hackintosh before buying an eight‐year‐old Mac Pro, but maybe that’s just me.

I actually did have a Hackintosh for fun for a few years but it was more trouble than it was worth (at the time), and with the Mac Pro all I lose is the boot screen, which I keep a GT120 around for when needed. Otherwise it just works and I've yet to find a game it can't handle in Bootcamp.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Captain Internet posted:

My wife works at a school for kids with autism and they use LifeProof cases.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Platystemon posted:

I went from a hackintosh to a 4,1 and the Pro is an infinitely more pleasurable experience. I have much better things to do with my time.

Maxed out the memory, added an SSD, USB3 and an AC/BT4 airport card. It's great. If it had Thunderbolt I'm not sure I'd really ever need to upgrade.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Edit: Wrong thread!!!

Greenplastic fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 30, 2017

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Regarding the keyboard, you might be right, but for the price those MacBooks are going for, I also don't like the slower performance and the lack of available connections either. I'll be using it for a lot of typing too, so if that keyboard doesn't end up working out, then that's going to be a pain in the rear end.
The older MBP models ('13, '14, '15) have plenty of ports, a good keyboard, and will have identical performance for what you're looking to do, and you'll save big $$$ vs. the new one.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The older MBP models ('13, '14, '15) have plenty of ports, a good keyboard, and will have identical performance for what you're looking to do, and you'll save big $$$ vs. the new one.

Any recommendations on where to get these? The only thing I know I want is an SSD in it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/FF839LL/A/refurbished-133-inch-macbook-pro-27ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Looks at URL

133‐inch MBP? :monocle:

27 GHz? :aaaaa:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There's no 13" on the refurb store right now.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone ever had the issue of connecting a certain MBP to your wireless completely killing the wireless network and requiring rebooting the devices?
2013 15" MBP, Airport Extremes.

It's a replacement work laptop I got since my old 2013 15" got stolen.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Captain Internet posted:

iPad thread? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552944

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

FCKGW posted:

There's no 13" on the refurb store right now.
I assume you're referring to the Phatty, and there's no reason to buy one anymore.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Just curios here:

DAE scan or make copies of receipts for their Apple hardware that they buy? I generally save the box and the receipt until the product's end-of-life. I make a laser-printed copy because the receipt paper can fade.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Three-Phase posted:

Just curios here:

DAE scan or make copies of receipts for their Apple hardware that they buy? I generally save the box and the receipt until the product's end-of-life. I make a laser-printed copy because the receipt paper can fade.

Yeah, I have an Evernote notebook for that and a receipts folder in my filing cabinet. It's saved me thousands in honoured warranties, I figure. It's just like, a matter of scanning the receipts to Evernote and chucking them in the to-file pile when you buy something. :shrug:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I assume you're referring to the Phatty, and there's no reason to buy one anymore.

No, there's only one 15" in the refurb store.

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro

They all got cleared out a few days ago

EDIT: They literally just showed up 2 minutes after I posted this. Your link said OOS earlier.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 31, 2017

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I will also lament here the lack of refurb availability.

I asked my company for a new laptop late last year and specifically suggested a few specific models of the previous gen 13" refurb. Instead last week I got a new 13" pro without the touch bar. Not only did I have to spend like $300 on dongles, but it is both slower and has worse battery life than the 2014 13" pro it 'replaces'.

And seriously, gently caress dongles. It took three docks/hubs to get anything that worked, but oddly enough the USB-C to Display Port cable worked straight away. But gently caress you if you want to have an external hard drive and wired keyboard and a few other things and still get power to the laptop (since the DisplayPort cable takes one of two ports and doesn't provide power).

The newer keyboard is nice, but I love me some mechanical keyboard. Too bad my coworkers don't like the clack of a mechanical keyboard.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Three-Phase posted:

Just curios here:

If you buy it from Apple direct and don't plan to resell before end of warranty, there isn't much reason to print or save receipts. Their system records that you bought it, and when, and I don't think they delete records, like, ever. On my recent trips to the fruit stand to get a battery replaced in my MBP, I got a glimpse of the record of my old PowerBook G4 on the Genius' iPad while he was scrolling through my history.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ultimate Mango posted:

I will also lament here the lack of refurb availability.

I asked my company for a new laptop late last year and specifically suggested a few specific models of the previous gen 13" refurb. Instead last week I got a new 13" pro without the touch bar. Not only did I have to spend like $300 on dongles, but it is both slower and has worse battery life than the 2014 13" pro it 'replaces'.

And seriously, gently caress dongles. It took three docks/hubs to get anything that worked, but oddly enough the USB-C to Display Port cable worked straight away. But gently caress you if you want to have an external hard drive and wired keyboard and a few other things and still get power to the laptop (since the DisplayPort cable takes one of two ports and doesn't provide power).

The newer keyboard is nice, but I love me some mechanical keyboard. Too bad my coworkers don't like the clack of a mechanical keyboard.

What? My plan is to have like, one port power, one port USB-C to TB2-hdmi dongle to monitor, one port USB-C to USB, to a hub, to my peripherals. Will this not work? I mean it'll be hella laptop spider, but I don't care.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyone ever had the issue of connecting a certain MBP to your wireless completely killing the wireless network and requiring rebooting the devices?
2013 15" MBP, Airport Extremes.

It's a replacement work laptop I got since my old 2013 15" got stolen.

I had this issue with an older dlink router and a 2010 MBA but never could figure out what caused it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BobHoward posted:

If you buy it from Apple direct and don't plan to resell before end of warranty, there isn't much reason to print or save receipts. Their system records that you bought it, and when, and I don't think they delete records, like, ever. On my recent trips to the fruit stand to get a battery replaced in my MBP, I got a glimpse of the record of my old PowerBook G4 on the Genius' iPad while he was scrolling through my history.

Plus if you buy from Best Buy or B&H they email you a receipt anyway

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My work MacBook Pro is still on El Cap. When I pair my AirPods, they seem to work fine but complain that an accessory needs me to update the OS (which I can't do.) Any ideas what's up with that?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The new LG 5k monitors that apple is selling aren't EM-shielded, which means you can't have them near your wifi router.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/01/apple-lg-5k-display-issues/

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Never in the history of anything Apple have I ever been asked for a receipt. Simply holding the device was always enough for any warranty service.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The new LG 5k monitors that apple is selling aren't EM-shielded, which means you can't have them near your wifi router.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/01/apple-lg-5k-display-issues/

:laffo:

This doesn't sound right. Testing and regulations basically prevent a product being certified that causes that level of interference.
All TVs will mess about with a wireless router, what's unique about this monitor is likely that it's larger and draws power closer to a TV than a monitor.
I'm sceptical this is an issue.

I think a lovely journalist has applied a lot of click-bait and supposition to those very broad diagnostic steps companies put out to cover their asses. Might as well say "Apple monitors cause epilepsy, a rep said it might".

Khablam fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 31, 2017