Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

side_burned posted:

Am i the only one hoping for Tilda Swinton to be cast as the next doctor?

She's too big at this point. Kind of like how Simon Pegg was on the radar but he got too famous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

side_burned posted:

Well I didn't mention that because I thought it was just taken as read that everybody wants Tilda Swinton to be the Doctor :shobon:

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm so pissed. I adore Capaldi and it feels like he just got here (and yet this hiatus feels like ages.) And the following season will probably be flung off into 2020.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
What's that? The entire cast of Bletchley Circle, you say?

(I've said it before, but dammit I can keep dreaming.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is also another golden opportunity to get Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey and Tamsin Greig to play the Doctor, Master and Companion.

Which plays which? Well they alternate between the roles not just from episode but scene to scene (sometimes they change roles DURING scenes)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

This is also another golden opportunity to get Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey and Tamsin Greig to play the Doctor, Master and Companion.

Which plays which? Well they alternate between the roles not just from episode but scene to scene (sometimes they change roles DURING scenes)

Fraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Fraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan?

"Do you want me to come? I'll come Fran! Fran I'll come!"

Welp gotta rewatch all of Black Books again now. On the plus side.... that doesn't take very long to do :smith:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've just started rolling Rob Brydon around in my head as a possibility. I'm not sure though, as I haven't seen much of him outside of The Trip and A Cock And Bull Story, but there's something about how he can be self-absorbed and blase, which could be fun for The Doctor.

--Doctor! Doctor! The Daleks are exploding the supermassive black hole in the centre of the galaxy!

--(in Michael Caine voice)You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Welp gotta rewatch all of Black Books again now. On the plus side.... that doesn't take very long to do :smith:

It's $99 bucks on Amazon...at least you CAN watch it.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

After The War posted:

What's that? The entire cast of Bletchley Circle, you say?

(I've said it before, but dammit I can keep dreaming.)

Hattie Morahan (on the far left) has already played the Doctor's companion.

on audio :getin:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I am so glad that I came here to post something about the Capaldi news and the first two posts that I could see, without even really reading them, were Jeru and Cobi, obviously responding to the point already having been made long ago (I was close - I figured the entire cast just playing the Doctor, but the rotating idea is better).

Jerusalem posted:

This may actually be the ingredient which was missing from my soothing balm of MST3K. I'm actually not sad it was over so quickly - they really just hit their sweet spot and then let it go, plus it makes it so easy to go back and binge (I owe this thread for making me discover it originally).

CobiWann posted:

It's $99 bucks on Amazon...at least you CAN watch it.

:stare: drat. I hope Netflix doesn't drop it.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Jerusalem posted:

Doctor, help me! I've swallowed The Little Book of Calm!

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.
You know who'd be an awesome Doctor? Sally Hawkins would be an awesome Doctor.

I've been a fan of Capaldi's since the 90s. (anyone else see Chandler and Co.? Looking back it may well have been crap. I haven't tried to rewatch it. But in my teens I was a sucker for literally anything British.) But as excited as I was for his casting, as much as I adore Gomez as the Master and as much as I think Moffat is great at his best, I just got bored with one of my all time favorite shows ever and never made it past the beginning of The Witch's Familiar.

I keep meaning to catch up... But binging Black's Books or Spaced for the umpteenth time holds more appeal. I don't know why.

So I'm hopeful for the impending changes. "Change, my dear, and not a moment too soon."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's not fair

Spaced is near perfection

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh God now I gotta watched all of Spaced again (this is the opposite of a problem).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Spaced is very of its time, I fee. I caught an episode recently on tv and it felt very dated in a way that Black Books doesn't (considering they were contemporaneous is impressive).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CobiWann posted:

How about the one guy who is always on those quiz shows that people really seem to like?

David Mitchell is a little too meek and flustered-seeming to be a good Doctor. Brian Webb would be pretty good, though.

side_burned posted:

I'd be very on board with this, partly because after I started transitioning I've gotten a couple comments that I resemble her. I'd be cosplaying as Swinton-Doctor forever and be totally okay with that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The_Doctor posted:

Spaced is very of its time, I fee. I caught an episode recently on tv and it felt very dated in a way that Black Books doesn't (considering they were contemporaneous is impressive).

Some of the pop-culture stuff is definitely like that.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

:stare: drat. I hope Netflix doesn't drop it.

Oh drat it's on Netflix?

I know what I'm doing once I beat Resident Evil 7.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Can anyone recommend something with Richard Ayoade in it; I ask because the four names I am seeing the most on wish list are Swinton, Ayoade, Rupert Grint (yeah I can see that) and Hayley Atwell (:shrug:) and out of the four the only actor I don't know is Ayoade.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

side_burned posted:

Can anyone recommend something with Richard Ayoade in it; I ask because the four names I am seeing the most on wish list are Swinton, Ayoade, Rupert Grint (yeah I can see that) and Hayley Atwell (:shrug:) and out of the four the only actor I don't know is Ayoade.

'The IT Crowd' is the most obvious suggestion, but 'Garth Marenghi's Darkplace' is the best one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

side_burned posted:

IT Crowd is probably his biggest thing. He's also in Garth Marenghi's Dark Place, and Nathan Barley a bit. He's also just signed on to host new eps of The Crystal Maze, so he's probably going to be a bit busy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

Look, I jussgotta fix ta ting with da thing, stop bleatin at me for five seconds about bloody Daleks and go have a jelly baby or something.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The_Doctor posted:

It feels very much like the last vestige of a happier time to me. It's an idealised daydream of the late 90s/early 2000s.

EDIT - One of the reasons I can tell that this is the case is because I try to show it to people five or six years younger than me and they just don't get it at all. It's not just the dated pop culture references. The whole atmosphere of it just doesn't make sense to them. That and the fact that everyone uses landlines to call each other, and everyone smokes in pubs.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 31, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The_Doctor posted:

IT Crowd is probably his biggest thing. He's also in Garth Marenghi's Dark Place, and Nathan Barley a bit. He's also just signed on to host new eps of The Crystal Maze, so he's probably going to be a bit busy.

He also hosts Gadget Man, which is pretty fun. He's definitely not someone who would be a good actual Doctor, especially since he seems to have settled into more non-acting entertainment roles, but if they ever did a new Curse of Fatal Death-style non-canon comedy Doctor Who thing, you could do a hell of a lot worse than Ayoade.

Fun nerd fact: He was actually the first casting choice for Wheatley in Portal 2. Originally, Portal 2 was going to have you led by multiple personality cores, one of which was the first version of Wheatley written with Ayoade in mind. I think he was still intended to voice him when it was first rewritten to make Wheatley a more leading role, but around then was also when they started using Stephen Merchant's character from The Office as inspiration.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 31, 2017

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Cleretic posted:

He also hosts Gadget Man, which is pretty fun. He's definitely not someone who would be a good actual Doctor, especially since he seems to have settled into more non-acting entertainment roles, but if they ever did a new Curse of Fatal Death-style non-canon comedy Doctor Who thing, you could do a hell of a lot worse than Ayoade.

Fun nerd fact: He was actually the first casting choice for Wheatley in Portal 2. Originally, Portal 2 was going to have you led by multiple personality cores, one of which was the first version of Wheatley written with Ayoade in mind. I think he was still intended to voice him when it was first rewritten to make Wheatley a more leading role, but around then was also when they started using Stephen Merchant's character from The Office as inspiration.

Oh man I would've loved Portal 2 with Richard Ayoade, I'm not a massive Merchant fan to be honest. I think I used to be, but then I watched 'hello ladies' which was just really bad, the worst, and fell off him and Gervais a bit. Merchant was still amazing in Portal 2 and definitely made that character great, but I reckon Richard Ayoade would've done an amazing job too, maybe better.

Also, unrelated question. How does everyone feel about the main character on this show, who's name is "Doctor Who"? You know, the character who is called "Doctor Who", my friend Doctor Who, the doctor guy who's name is Doctor Who?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Megaspel posted:

Oh man I would've loved Portal 2 with Richard Ayoade, I'm not a massive Merchant fan to be honest. I think I used to be, but then I watched 'hello ladies' which was just really bad, the worst, and fell off him and Gervais a bit. Merchant was still amazing in Portal 2 and definitely made that character great, but I reckon Richard Ayoade would've done an amazing job too, maybe better.

I think I like the idea of Ayoade-Wheatley more than I would've liked the reality, personally. I love what he does, and I think his awkwardness would've been good for a lot of Wheatley's scenes (especially early on), but I don't think he'd have been able to sell the occasional moments of (awfully-manifested) rage and fury as well as Merchant.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

An Ayoade Wheatley would have been great, and now I'm sad for what could have been.

Megaspel posted:

Also, unrelated question. How does everyone feel about the main character on this show, who's name is "Doctor Who"? You know, the character who is called "Doctor Who", my friend Doctor Who, the doctor guy who's name is Doctor Who?

This guy?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Barry Foster posted:

It feels very much like the last vestige of a happier time to me. It's an idealised daydream of the late 90s/early 2000s.

EDIT - One of the reasons I can tell that this is the case is because I try to show it to people five or six years younger than me and they just don't get it at all. It's not just the dated pop culture references. The whole atmosphere of it just doesn't make sense to them. That and the fact that everyone uses landlines to call each other, and everyone smokes in pubs.

Yeah, a lot of late-90s stuff (ie up to September 11) has a sense that everything's going to be okay, or that everything is going to be boring. Stuff like Fight Club or American Beauty falls into the latter category, with The Matrix kinda trying to play it both ways (the 90s are the peak of human civilisation).

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

The_Doctor posted:

An Ayoade Wheatley would have been great, and now I'm sad for what could have been.

This guy?

Now there's an idea. Disney's got that video game cut scene reject Cushing from Rogue One laying around on a hard drive somewhere. Maybe the Beeb could buy it off them and give Peter another tilt at the role. Go super meta -- instead of having Capeldi regenerate just zoom out from the end of his final adventure and show Doctor Who watching Doctor Who on TV and tutting at the inaccuracy of the portrayal before traipsing off to battle some Technicolor Technicolour Daleks.

In any event, I can't miss a chance to repost this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPK7raS8Mos

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

King Plum the Nth posted:

In any event, I can't miss a chance to repost this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPK7raS8Mos

Whoa. Cool. I was expecting this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=josI9YR45dI

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Beeb has some suggestions.

As usual, some fairly unlikely names proposed (Emma Watson? Andy Serkis? Bit busy doing movies these days, I imagine!) but nothing as bad as the Daily Mail suggesting Catherine Zeta-Jones was a very likely possibility to succeed David Tennant.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do people actually consider CZJ a good actress?

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Still wanting a Patterson Joseph Doctor someday, maybe this'll be the day.

Preferably with David Mitchell and Robert Webb as his companions. "Oh Doctor. I'm in love you, Doctor!"

Also thanks for forcing me to once again rewatch Spaced and Black Books, thread.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Hattie Morahan (on the far left) has already played the Doctor's companion.

on audio :getin:

Hey, I'm only up to August 2011! :mad:

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I'm depressed at losing Capaldi, but I have a vague spark of hope that a fresh start on the show in terms of both showrunner and primary lead might possibly regenerate the show a bit. It's a pretty small hope, given I really really liked Capaldi and Chibnall has been more miss than hit overall, but maybe it'll shake some poo poo loose and we'll get something amazing again. I feel the last couple of seasons were only carried by the strength of Capaldi himself and fell more into the "good" to "didn't hate it" range than a show that got me excited for each new episode, minus one or so episode a season.

Hopefully this has all been known behind the scenes enough that Chibnall and crew have been planning with a fresh Doctor in mind.

On the other side of the coin, I feel this still strongly hints at the behind the scenes stuff being an utter clusterfucking train wreck (still). Capaldi has always been a superfan and always wanted to play the Doctor, and is suddenly bailing after just getting the fires stoked. That's like three actors in a row that have said something to the effect to breaking Tom's record and then suddenly moving on to bigger and better things. British TV is different than American where most actors over here hope for the holy grail of a long-term show and it's not like Capaldi isn't a guy that can move on to other things, but drat this feels like the behind the scenes poo poo just grinds the actors down until they hate being there.

So just give me Haley Atwell as the Doctor and I'll be happy for another few seasons.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mortanis posted:

That's like three actors in a row that have said something to the effect to breaking Tom's record and then suddenly moving on to bigger and better things.

That's because you don't go into early publicity going "yeah I'll be out the door in 18 months". Tennant, in addition, was working under a completely different production team (that he really enjoyed being a part of, by all reports). You're reading a lot into random PR fluff, I think.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I would do anything for Hayley Atwell to be the next Doctor.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Doctor Who is loving hard work, to be fair.

It's a shame, and I hope that he has some cracking episodes this series. I did 5 of series 10 before leaving, but you can actually never really tell what scripts are going to work out that well - Heaven Sent didn't read particularly brilliantly on first pass.

As I've mentioned before (tediously) I've never been much of a DW but I am a fan of the idea of the show, and an even bigger fan of Capaldi, and when he was 'on' - doing his lines to himself, running around the set making himself understand the controls and levers - he was just electrifying to watch. He loved it, and he was a delight to talk to on set. Actually really quite sad to see him go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't remember Capaldi ever mentioning wanting to break Tom Baker's record, to be honest. But yeah, I'm really happy with the work he's done and excited to see his final year. Plus, there's always the hope he might be back for some special or something like that.

• Locked thread