Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I knew Timothy Olyphant was funny because of his appearance as the sushi chef on The League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Rocksicles posted:

Tim Olyphant is a very funny guy. They really have chemistry.

Yeah I really like that the stress and drama don't come from them not loving each other or whatever. The only problem I have is how the season ends.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
loving christ those last few shots in episode 2 hahahahahaha

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Timothy Olyphant was one of the best parts of The Grinder, so he can definitely do comedy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The daughter is really funny, her delivery is spot on.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've only watched the pilot but yeah Santa Clarita Diet is kind of fantastic (and it's great to have a sitcom that doesn't need to care about swear words).

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Rocksicles posted:

The daughter is really funny, her delivery is spot on.

She reminded me a lot of Julia Stiles. When she was good, like Ten Things I Hate About You, or maybe before.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rhyno posted:

Are you certain? One of the reasons he cited for his departure was not being a regular.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/arrow-colton-haynes-series-regular-season-2-428346

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The only thing less interesting than CW drama is CW-production drama.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I was presently surprised to see that Santa Clarita Diet is available in HDR from the start. Netflix hasn't been doing good with releasing HDR at the same time a show comes out.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I need help figuring out what show I'm thinking of. Within the last year, a major plot point was that the sitting president lost the primary to his challenger, but then after talking with his chief of staff they decide to run as an independent instead since he has such broad appeal. I can't for the life of me, think what show that's from. Any ideas?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

X-O posted:

I think it and Frequency had really low ratings even by CW standards. And the fact that both of them mostly wrapped things up means they probably won't come back.

Without spoilers, how was the ending of Frequency? "Wrapped up" is one thing but I'm hoping it's also good/satisfying. I've avoided starting since I wanted to see ratings wise how a season 2 prospect looked. Since it's pretty dim now, if it's a nice one-and-done that'd make proably drive me to sit down and watch.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Cael posted:

Without spoilers, how was the ending of Frequency? "Wrapped up" is one thing but I'm hoping it's also good/satisfying. I've avoided starting since I wanted to see ratings wise how a season 2 prospect looked. Since it's pretty dim now, if it's a nice one-and-done that'd make proably drive me to sit down and watch.

They wrap up the killer, and the family and relationships in both eras are in a good place. Very minor spoiler But Frank is still dead in present day and the killer's dad is watching them from afar

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cael posted:

There are still 2 plothooks for next season, but you could be satisfied just watching it as a 13 episode series.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Kloaked00 posted:

I need help figuring out what show I'm thinking of. Within the last year, a major plot point was that the sitting president lost the primary to his challenger, but then after talking with his chief of staff they decide to run as an independent instead since he has such broad appeal. I can't for the life of me, think what show that's from. Any ideas?

That sounds like Scandal except the sitting president was being primaried by his VP and I think she ran as an independent eventually or something?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Kloaked00 posted:

Madam Secretary

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Really enjoyed Santa Clarita Diet. The cast has great chemistry, the plot goes in fun directions, and the tone is consistently lovingly weird. And the show basically runs through a checklist of comedy cameos of people I like. Episode 9 guest spoiler Portia de Rossi's appearance made me way more excited than I would have thought, especially when she hit some of Veronica's cadence.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kloaked00 posted:

It sounds like you drank way too much cold medicine and fell asleep while watching Veep :v:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if I like Santa Clarita Diet after four episodes but I could watch Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant swear and banter all day long.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love how Bill Maher is afraid of his new set. The past three weeks someone always trips while getting to their seat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

I love how Bill Maher is afraid of his new set. The past three weeks someone always trips while getting to their seat.

I think that's just because they're stoned. Bill won't let you on air otherwise.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I finished Mad Men. It had a really satisfactory ending, even though some rear end in a top hat spoiled what happens to Don back in the True Detective s2 thread

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just watched the Expanse premier and holy gently caress this season is going to be awesome.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
The more Timothy Olyphant is freaking out about things the funnier Santa Clarita Diet gets

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm not convinced Timothy Olyphant can actually act.

Timothy Olyphant is fantastic when he works in a certain range - seething (Deadwood), charming (The Grinder, Conan), seething and charming (Justified, Go).

Sometimes however he gets cast in bad things outside that range like Hitman or Live Free and Die Hard or Dreamcatcher and then people who see that think he's a bad actor.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Girl Next Door was 13 years ago.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cart posted:

Timothy Olyphant is fantastic when he works in a certain range - seething (Deadwood), charming (The Grinder, Conan), seething and charming (Justified, Go).

That makes no sense. That range between furious and charming nice guy is like 97% of a personality

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kevin Smith loathes Timothy Olyphant so now I love Timothy Olyphant

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Kevin Smith loathes Timothy Olyphant so now I love Timothy Olyphant

Wait is this true? Is there context for this?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's in one of the "Evening w/ Kevin Smith" DVDs. He talks about his experience working with Olyphant on Die Hard 4 and a romcom called Catch and Release. He basically says Olyphant is a narcissistic bully on the set and is really mean to him around other people (like lowblow fat jokes and commenting loudly on how Smith is a terrible actor) and then when they are alone he's suddenly friendly. He's like an evil version of the "Hello, my baby" singing frog.

But take it all with a grain of salt because Smith also feuds with half of Hollywood like Tim Burton, Bruce Willis, Adam Corolla, Jenny McCarthy, Jennifer Garner, etc.,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9F_ayZm3zo

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 5, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Who could hate Jennifer Garner? I've never heard anyone say a single bad thing about her.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gonz posted:

Who could hate Jennifer Garner? I've never heard anyone say a single bad thing about her.
She's overrated in acting and hotness. :smug:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gonz posted:

She actually disliked Kevin Smith. He was good friends with Ben Affleck but after the marriage he wasn't invited to anything anymore.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

She actually disliked Kevin Smith. He was good friends with Ben Affleck but after the marriage he wasn't invited to anything anymore.

I remember hearing that too; I imagine it had something to do with him being a proud stoner in his 40s when she and Ben were trying to start a family. And on a certain level, that sucks. But to bring it back to Olyphant, you know what they say about assholes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laFGAp6Ip40

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 5, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well jokes on you Jen. Ben's still a teenage gently caress up!

Nooch!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mu Zeta posted:

But take it all with a grain of salt because Smith also feuds with half of Hollywood like Tim Burton, Bruce Willis, Adam Corolla, Jenny McCarthy, Jennifer Garner, etc.,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9F_ayZm3zo

I understand all of these. Even Stallone has called out Bruce Willis as an rear end in a top hat.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Smith is absolutely a huge dumb rear end in a top hat but for the most part so are the people he feuds with.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
gently caress Kevin Smith. They guy gradually lived DOWN to his potential while dressing like an overweight flasher while Tim O. exceeded expectations.

Plus, I'm 99% sure that Jennifer Gardner was domestically abusing Ben Affleck so...job well done.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Coffeehitler posted:

Madam Secretary

Yup, that was it. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I want to believe Timothy Olyphant is a cool dude. He's one of those actors I always enjoy and root for in everything, like Paul Rudd, Sam Rockwell, Edward Norton, Donald Glover, and Adam Scott.

Speaking of Olyphant, my wife and I recently binge-watched Deadwood (my second time, her first), and I couldn't get her to make it through the first episode of Justified, but she seems to like Santa Clarita Diet much more than I do so far.

He's also cast perfectly in A Perfect Getaway, an incredibly fun and underrated movie everyone here would love.

• Locked thread