Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

an skeleton posted:

my CPU/GPU max/average temps after a game of overwatch on ultra mega super duper settings in my node 202 rig. pretty hot, how worried should I be?

Your CPU heat sink just isn't big enough for a 7700k. You could try undervolting your CPU and see if you can get a stable 4GHz at a lower volt. You can also delid and put better thermal paste on your CPU.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
getting mixed signals here. Under the assumption that my CPU never gets hotter than 85 peak, what damage am i risking? If it's serious ill look into delidding.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

an skeleton posted:

getting mixed signals here. Under the assumption that my CPU never gets hotter than 85 peak, what damage am i risking? If it's serious ill look into delidding.

Lower temps are always good but if you can't make an Intel chip go thermal throttle no matter what you do, you are definitely safe.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

SlayVus posted:

Your CPU heat sink just isn't big enough for a 7700k. You could try undervolting your CPU and see if you can get a stable 4GHz at a lower volt. You can also delid and put better thermal paste on your CPU.

I won't deny the benefits of de-lidding. I've never done it before, but I also haven't had any of the notoriously bad processors that almost require it. That said, only de-lid if you're willing to ruin a $300 processor and the fan noise is too loud for you.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
What are the variables that result in a delid failure? Is it a crapshoot or not likely if im careful?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

an skeleton posted:

What are the variables that result in a delid failure? Is it a crapshoot or not likely if im careful?

Seriously, just try how much you can downvolt it while being downclocked to 4GHz. Your heat problem has less to do with whether the lid is on or not and more than to do with Intel factory tuning 4GHz+ i7s way out of the optimal GHz/voltage sweet spot.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

an skeleton posted:

I've HEARD that it's actually not that risky of an endeavour with the right tools. You can buy one of those little plastic vise-type delidding tool for not much money (<$50), and they appear to be fairly safe. Things can go really wrong when you are doing it with a pair of visegrips and a screwdriver however. As I understand it it's all about the direction of the force, and not scratching the hell out of the little PCB/silicon chip with a sharp piece of metal.

I'm too chicken poo poo to do it myself however. I find seating the CPU in the socket stressful enough. And it boggles the mind that Intel can't be bother to put better thermal compound under the lid - the extra cost per CPU must be a few tenth-of-a-cent or something, if even that.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
The Aegis X bare bones arrived, and now I'm shopping for a graphics card to pop in it. Would I be better off with an Nvidia 1060 or AMD 480 in the mini case? Size doesn't seem to matter, but heat and noise do.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shanghaied posted:

I've HEARD that it's actually not that risky of an endeavour with the right tools. You can buy one of those little plastic vise-type delidding tool for not much money (<$50), and they appear to be fairly safe. Things can go really wrong when you are doing it with a pair of visegrips and a screwdriver however. As I understand it it's all about the direction of the force, and not scratching the hell out of the little PCB/silicon chip with a sharp piece of metal.

I'm too chicken poo poo to do it myself however. I find seating the CPU in the socket stressful enough. And it boggles the mind that Intel can't be bother to put better thermal compound under the lid - the extra cost per CPU must be a few tenth-of-a-cent or something, if even that.

Something like the Rockit 88?

https://www.rockitcool.com

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I did a delid on a Haswell i7, just clamped the IHS to bench vice, put a block of wood against the pcb and lightly tapped with a hammer until it came loose.

Then I lapped the IHS with a jewelry polishing wheel and replaced all the TIM with NT-H1 and dropped like 10c

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Yeah, that's the one I had in mind when I wrote the post, but again I have no personal experience with it or anything of its ilk, just that I haven't read anything negative in relationship to these tools, the consensus seems to be that they work as advertised, but they are fairly expensive considering that you can accomplish the same thing with tools you already have. But then again what's $30 in relation to a $300+ CPU?

Edit: the Rockit people seem to be working on an custom copper IHS (lid) which is significantly thicker than the stock Intel version, should be interesting.

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 8, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
ughhhh the TT Core V1 feels too large now, even though its literally the smallest computer case I've ever had by far. Im fixated on the RVZ02 and its weird ability to hold a massive video card. But that riser card problem talk keeps me mildly concerned.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
ASRock published specs on their new Mini-STX motherboard with MXM:

http://www.asrock.com/ipc/overview.asp?Model=H110-STX%20MXM

It's... interesting. It says the GPU TDP is capped at 120w, that's not great if there's no good way to push past that. On the other hand, it has Thunderbolt 3, and two M.2 SSD slots.

Seems like one Mini-STX case exists so far?:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163360

I assume they're going to coordinate with vendors to actually make some off-the-shelf MXM GPU's available for a non-exorbitant price?

Edit:

You can get a GTX 1080 MXM card (for ~$1300 from Eurocom) with an auxilliary power port to take it up to 250w. Now how the gently caress are you gonna cool it? Awesome though: http://www.eurocom.com/ec/release(350)ec

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 8, 2017

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Coldforge posted:

The Aegis X bare bones arrived, and now I'm shopping for a graphics card to pop in it. Would I be better off with an Nvidia 1060 or AMD 480 in the mini case? Size doesn't seem to matter, but heat and noise do.
480s were pretty hot when they came out at least. There may have been progress, like that one a while ago that ran a lot cooler and used less power (might've been on a newer process or better binning), but I don't know if that's common (if ever) across 480s yet. Otherwise they've had software/firmware tricks to help them out with power and heat.

...basically you should probably get a 1060.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

japtor posted:

480s were pretty hot when they came out at least. There may have been progress, like that one a while ago that ran a lot cooler and used less power (might've been on a newer process or better binning), but I don't know if that's common (if ever) across 480s yet. Otherwise they've had software/firmware tricks to help them out with power and heat.

...basically you should probably get a 1060.

drat, hopefully the 480s have gotten better, I picked one up on the way home and just saw this :(

Thanks for the response, even if I'm too stupid and impatient to heed it.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Welp someone stole my M.2 SSD and another package off my door step :suicide:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Photex posted:

Welp someone stole my M.2 SSD and another package off my door step :suicide:

Amazon is known to refund people for that, and it is also very likely that your credit card has a theft/damage protection clause that will cover you as well. One of my coworkers bought a brand new MacBook and left it in an Uber, I told him to check with his credit card and they wound up refunding more than half the price back to him he got over $1000 back.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Amazon is known to refund people for that, and it is also very likely that your credit card has a theft/damage protection clause that will cover you as well. One of my coworkers bought a brand new MacBook and left it in an Uber, I told him to check with his credit card and they wound up refunding more than half the price back to him he got over $1000 back.

Ordered off Newegg marketplace but I'll check to see Chase will cover a no proof claim.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Coldforge posted:

drat, hopefully the 480s have gotten better, I picked one up on the way home and just saw this :(

Having been putting up with noisy AMDs for years I got a 1060 recently and this thing is totally silent. I guess a 480 is probably a fair amount cooler than a 280X but I am super happy with my choice.

(sorry)

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

knox_harrington posted:

Having been putting up with noisy AMDs for years I got a 1060 recently and this thing is totally silent. I guess a 480 is probably a fair amount cooler than a 280X but I am super happy with my choice.

(sorry)

This made me feel a bit better, fingers crossed: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-radeon-rx-480-gaming-x-review,8.html

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

SlayVus posted:

People who buy S4 Minis, wouldn't it better to have the power supply inside the case? You now have to have a power brick to even power it. I know it'll make the case slightly bigger, but it is feasible to fit an SFX in. Like even an S4 Mini dimensions of 330x340x75mm would fit a SFX PSU inside the case next to the motherboard and would allow for some bigger video cards. Maybe I just am missing the point of the S4 Mini.

Edit: Apparently there is already a case like the S4, the Sentry. It's 340x310x66mm. Fits a Titan XP and SFX-L PSUs.

If you are willing to go with a 1050Ti LP or other low profile card you can get a brickless S4 Mini build, this guy did one here.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Here's what I ended up getting:

Aegis X Barebones (case, mobo, power supply)
I7 6700k
Hyper X 16gb ram
MSI Radeon Rx 480 8gb OC (may return this)
Intel 600p 256gb nvme ssd Edit: x2

Total spent was around $950 $1030

Should have time to assemble it next week, and I'll post pictures so you can see Isaac Clarke in his glorious/hideous colors.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 9, 2017

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Might as well try it out since you already have it now, plus it leaves the door open for a freesync display in the future.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Coldforge posted:

The 1060 may run a bit cooler but the benefit of having a 480 is that you can use FreeSync monitors without having to pay the G-Sync tax. I have a 1060 6gb for my HTPC. It was a bit ahead compared to the 480 when it first came out. But now, it looks like the 480 is on par or better with AMD improving driver support. The 480 edges out as the 480 will be better in DX12 games in the future and has 8gb of VRAM vs 6gb.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dali Parton posted:

ughhhh the TT Core V1 feels too large now, even though its literally the smallest computer case I've ever had by far. Im fixated on the RVZ02 and its weird ability to hold a massive video card. But that riser card problem talk keeps me mildly concerned.
Is the RVZ02 even significantly smaller than the Core V1 in volume?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Cardboard Box A posted:

Is the RVZ02 even significantly smaller than the Core V1 in volume?

22.6L vs 12L, so about half the size.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

VulgarandStupid posted:

22.6L vs 12L, so about half the size.
Whoa 12 liters? That is really small.

Seems almost... too small...

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Good thing he put that extra sideways fan in front of the heatsink. Wouldn't want those cables to be starved for airflow.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
I've seen another stupid RVZ02 build like that where parts are extended beyond the case and the window is all open/exposed. Like, what is the drat point?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Maxwell Adams posted:

Good thing he put that extra sideways fan in front of the heatsink. Wouldn't want those cables to be starved for airflow.

That'd be the power supply fan if you checked the layout of the RVZ02

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 10, 2017

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Mung Dynasty posted:

I've seen another stupid RVZ02 build like that where parts are extended beyond the case and the window is all open/exposed. Like, what is the drat point?

Portability without the sacrifice of temperatures. I don't need it but maybe the case study requires a computer case with a handle that's easy to transport?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
No handles on the Raven. Still small as hell and easy enough to carry to/from your car, though.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Grundulum posted:

No handles on the Raven. Still small as hell and easy enough to carry to/from your car, though.

You can add the handle from the ML08 case if you email Silverstone. I did and got one for my HTPC. mL08 is the same case basically as the RVZ02. The picture shows a RVZ02 with the ML08 handle

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Rabid Snake posted:

You can add the handle from the ML08 case if you email Silverstone. I did and got one for my HTPC. mL08 is the same case basically as the RVZ02. The picture shows a RVZ02 with the ML08 handle

Is that what those four screw holes at the top are used for? Dang. I just screwed the top panel down to ensure it didn't bow from the MSI 1070 I put in.

Note to anyone considering the RVZ02: consider a narrower graphics card. The power cables running out of my GPU have to bend at a mildly alarming angle to fit into the case with its panels on.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

an skeleton posted:

I'd seriously recommend you try something (anything) before delidding. It's a delicate process and should definitely be the first port of call for dealing with temps.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Rabid Snake posted:

Portability without the sacrifice of temperatures. I don't need it but maybe the case study requires a computer case with a handle that's easy to transport?

Thats like the opposite of easy to transport though, one firm bump on the heatsink and you break your motherboard. You would have to treat it like an egg

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just a quick update on my stolen M.2 Card, MyDigital came through and is sending me a free replacement, so great CSR on their end. I did file a police report and everything just in case though.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

well why not posted:

I'd seriously recommend you try something (anything) before delidding. It's a delicate process and should definitely be the first port of call for dealing with temps.

I'm not doing it lol. My temps are all peaking at 82C after hours of play it seems, so unless they increase much more im chillin' (not literally)

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

an skeleton posted:

I'm not doing it lol. My temps are all peaking at 82C after hours of play it seems, so unless they increase much more im chillin' (not literally)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx641tAZFH0

all it takes is a hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm at a crossroads. I really like using a small case that is VERY silent (100% silent at rest) that can run video games at very high resolution, so everything is already an uphill battle.

I currently use a Node 202 with a 970 and 6500. I'm thinking of upgrading it to a 1080 and 7700k to take advantage of my new 1440p@144Hz G-sync monitor. However, the Node 202 has very little space for a nice CPU cooler so it might be prudent to simply get the 7700, so I don't have to mess around with overclocking and worrying about CPU temps (my current Noctua is very silent and efficient). Since I won't be able to get a sufficient cooler for overclocking, I THINK I should just get the 7700 but I don't know-- maybe someone here knows better.

As far as graphics cards go, I'm curious if a 1080 is even a prudent choice since as I understand it, they can't even sufficiently carry 1440p@144Hz without SLI poo poo. Would the 1080Ti even be able to carry that performance?

e: or I could just get another very small and very cool case. That Dan A4 looks good, but I guess they're not available.

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 11, 2017