Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

rope kid posted:

Hmm. I'd say maybe 50/50...

Thanks, sounds good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Scorchy posted:

No I mean changing it to Perception just cause people were confused about the name. At least it was easy enough to designate one character the Mechanics character, but Perception is a core stat that governs a bunch of other stuff, and now you gotta make sure at least character has super high Perception or else you're gated out of finding poo poo.

Unless you mean they're renaming Mechanics something else and I misunderstood.

I gotta admit your post about having plenty of perception to spot something when you need to search and have a high mechanics skill was confusing, unless you're in the mine cart pick a path sequence, then you're in the wrong place it's a mine cart in the SW that you need to be searching around at.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Scorchy posted:

No I mean changing it to Perception just cause people were confused about the name. At least it was easy enough to designate one character the Mechanics character, but Perception is a core stat that governs a bunch of other stuff, and now you gotta make sure at least character has super high Perception or else you're gated out of finding poo poo.

Unless you mean they're renaming Mechanics something else and I misunderstood.

No, you've got it right. Mechanics might still be around for disarming stuff though, maybe? On the other hand, the range for detecting stuff will have to be pretty generous as there is only so much you can stack an attribute.

Gridlock
Aug 16, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

gently caress yeah difficult terrain and mini Tremors / Ankhegs.

Holy poo poo, that casting animation, that sand, that everything :discourse:

I backed PoE1 the very first day (autographed box yay) and played it the day it was released. I was very pleased overall (111 hours logged), however I could see where there was room for improvement, I could also see where some of the stretch goals and backer content got in the way of making the core game better. But I understood Obsidian's predicament and I respect them for delivering on everything as promised despite the obstacles and trade-offs required.

With that said, it's quite clear that PoE2 is going to be a different animal completely. Obsidian is coming out with guns drawn and I'm loving what I'm seeing, a reinvigorated development company with a sharp increase in confidence, and it's more than apparent in what's being displayed in these updates. Even the stretch goals this time around are incredibly pragmatic and shrewd, yet nonetheless just as exciting. Looks like I'll be donating to making history once more. Bravo.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Regarding the cooking book: please edit it so the quantities use an international standard (that is, the metric system). I don't know what the gently caress an ounce is and neither does 95% of the rest of the world.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yes please. I dont want the book but can yoi guys stop it with that stupid poo poo?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

gently caress yeah difficult terrain and mini Tremors / Ankhegs.

This is extremely my poo poo. Already the gears are turning. If difficult terrain hinders you that bad...surely it works on enemies just as well.

quote:

The main villain of PoE1 is totally unengaging.

Yeah this was a big problem. I wanted to like Thaos. And in fact I think he's written really well in terms of a character, but he shows up so infrequently and it's only really once in the entire game he sets an obstacle in your path. His backstory and speeches are really well done. He makes some real salient points about why he does things and it's all totally believable. It's for these reasons I always return him to the wheel, because he's too interesting for me to kill off. Maybe he'll show up again? Who knows.

Honestly I suspect he's probably the perfect antagonist that could be created for this series and the themes it runs with. A problem a lot of games and movies have had lately is they don't really take time to craft and showcase their villains. They just exist and maybe show up from time to time, only for you to thwart them. There is no real material loss or tragic setback. A good example of this is Corypheus from DA3- he has an extremely strong introduction but then the rest of the game is you clowning on him and humiliating him. He's never an actual obstacle.

The last game I could think of that had an antagonist who got me invested was Handsome Jack from the Borderlands series.

quote:

Regarding the cooking book: please edit it so the quantities use an international standard (that is, the metric system). I don't know what the gently caress an ounce is and neither does 95% of the rest of the world.

Son there are two countries in this world, countries that have been to the moon. And countries that use the metric system. :clint:

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 9, 2017

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This is extremely my poo poo. Already the gears are turning. If difficult terrain hinders you that bad...surely it works on enemies just as well.

Probably not the ones who live in it like those sand worms. It would be super cool to have spells or items that let you ignore difficult terrain or sandwalk or whatever.

Would also be cool to have to deal with it from stuff other than sand like waist deep shoals or snow drifts.

Prokhor Zakharov fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 9, 2017

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Tony Montana posted:

Yes please. I dont want the book but can yoi guys stop it with that stupid poo poo?

No. Didn't want to deal with the Imperial system of measurement, shouldn't have let us become the sole relevant imperial power.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

My car gets forty rods to the hog's head and that's the way I likes it

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

No, you've got it right. Mechanics might still be around for disarming stuff though, maybe? On the other hand, the range for detecting stuff will have to be pretty generous as there is only so much you can stack an attribute.

Cool, they should bring back attribute requirements for items too, so there's more stuff that gets gated on decisions you make during character creation. Is it just me or did adding in respeccing bring back a lot of regressive systems design poo poo that has to be excused with a "well you can always respec".

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Furism posted:

If I were dictator of the USA I'd switch us to metric, Celsius, and 24-hour time tomorrow. Sadly, I'm not, but I think you'll find that fancy Google thing can do conversions for you.

I recommend the Settler's Cornbread, by the way.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Airfoil posted:

If I were dictator of the USA I'd switch us to metric, Celsius, and 24-hour time tomorrow. Sadly, I'm not, but I think you'll find that fancy Google thing can do conversions for you.

I recommend the Settler's Cornbread, by the way.

I'm not saying there are no workarounds, just that it's a pain in the rear end. It doesn't take much to show the quantities in Imperial AND Metrics. Just quality of life things. Not a big deal. :shrug:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Son there are two countries in this world, countries that have been to the moon. And countries that use the metric system. :clint:

England uses the imperial system. They haven't been to the moon. Only America has been to the moon. Something rad about the Apollo program, there were scientists in it. Scientists use the metric system, even American ones. So, the sole country that has been to the moon had to use the metric system to get there!

Furism posted:

I'm not saying there are no workarounds, just that it's a pain in the rear end. It doesn't take much to show the quantities in Imperial AND Metrics. Just quality of life things. Not a big deal. :shrug:

Yeah just put both. Why give a deliberate gently caress you to the REST OF THE WORLD?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Tony Montana posted:

England uses the imperial system.

Even the Brits officially switched to the metric system. It's going to take a while for people to use it as their main system, but it's already official on all the products in stores etc.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
America has bigger problems right now guys

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Something in the first game that was confusing to a lot of people was being a Watcher vs. being Awakened. You're going crazy because you're Awakened but that only happened because you because a Watcher and you meet another Watcher who went crazy too because he Awakened. Also Watchers can do things with souls, Ciphers can also do things with souls. Apparently they are different things but nobody seem to be sure which is which.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Tony Montana posted:

England uses the imperial system. They haven't been to the moon. Only America has been to the moon. Something rad about the Apollo program, there were scientists in it. Scientists use the metric system, even American ones. So, the sole country that has been to the moon had to use the metric system to get there!

NASA was using imperial back in the 60s. In fact, they were using a mix of imperial and metric up until the last 20 years or so. They lost a Mars probe due to a screwup over metric/imperial conversion in the late 90s.

If it's such a herculean chore for you I suppose you can nag Obsidian. Maybe they have an intern on staff available for mundane nonsense.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Tony Montana posted:

Scientists use the metric system, even American ones.

That's actually not true, and we've had serious problems [Of the poo poo exploding kind] because of some people in NASA using metric and some not.

quote:

Yeah just put both. Why give a deliberate gently caress you to the REST OF THE WORLD?

Because you deserve it.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
YOU LOST A loving ROCKET THING BECAUSE YOU INSIST ON THIS poo poo AND YOURE STILL GOING TO TELL ME YOU'RE RIGHT?

*storms out, slams door*

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

You're going crazy because you're Awakened but that only happened because you because a Watcher and you meet another Watcher who went crazy too because he Awakened.

This part was kind of muddy to me as well. I figured Maewald went crazy not just because he awakened but because of the particular circumstances there... remembering being his own rapist father, then indoctrinated into hating himself, no poo poo of course he would be hosed up by all that.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 9, 2017

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Airfoil posted:

NASA was using imperial back in the 60s. In fact, they were using a mix of imperial and metric up until the last 20 years or so. They lost a Mars probe due to a screwup over metric/imperial conversion in the late 90s.

That wasn't NASA's fault, that was Lockheed (surprise). The contract clearly stated that the probe was to operate in metric units. Lockheed delivered faulty software.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
*comes back in, quietly*

Why can't the new game be about ridding the world of the Imperial system?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Tony Montana posted:

*comes back in, quietly*

Good idea. The new system of measurement will be Eder Pipe Units.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Scorchy posted:

Cool, they should bring back attribute requirements for items too, so there's more stuff that gets gated on decisions you make during character creation. Is it just me or did adding in respeccing bring back a lot of regressive systems design poo poo that has to be excused with a "well you can always respec".

Tying it to Mechanics wasn't an elegant solution either because it just cemented that skill as mandatory to have on one party member. Maybe they should just scrap the idea altogether and go back to the good old pixel-hunting days.

Tony Montana posted:

*comes back in, quietly*

Pillars already uses the metric system for all its abilities and spells, though. I guess automatic conversion to imperial could become a stretch goal.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

We'll move on to the new system for weight instead of using the slowly degrading sample we're using now.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Scorchy posted:

America has bigger problems right now guys
I think you'll find both problems stem from the same source (Americans being retards).

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

evilmiera posted:

We'll move on to the new system for weight instead of using the slowly degrading sample we're using now.

All measurements will be consolidated by High Emperor Trump into three easy units: Yuge, Bigly, and Sad

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Samuel Clemens posted:

Animancy is a big part of the Renaissance feeling, though.

Right, absolutely, but animancy's appearances in the game kinda boil down to guiding the player towards the big (pointless) decision at the trial in Act 2 - is 'magic science' good or bad? I think there's more to be explored about the scientific revolution and the larger cultural/political changes of the era than psycho necromancers vs. brave new scientists. Plus 'magic science' as an aesthetic isn't entirely new, e.g. Baldur's Gate 2.

There's a good joke buried in there, though: Thaos as a returned Aristotle enforcing his intellectual property rights.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lt. Danger posted:

Right, absolutely, but animancy's appearances in the game kinda boil down to guiding the player towards the big (pointless) decision at the trial in Act 2 - is 'magic science' good or bad? I think there's more to be explored about the scientific revolution and the larger cultural/political changes of the era than psycho necromancers vs. brave new scientists. Plus 'magic science' as an aesthetic isn't entirely new, e.g. Baldur's Gate 2.

There's a good joke buried in there, though: Thaos as a returned Aristotle enforcing his intellectual property rights.

I never understood conundrums about the ethics of magic being presented as a big philosophical issue.

It's really very simple - does the magic benefit ME? If yes then it's totally alright and I'll happily be a blood magicking mind controlling demon tongue speaking whatever.

But by golly if I see an NPC doing something evil then watch out. I'll totally defend the meek and innocent with the dark arts (so long as their deaths don't directly benefit me personally). Perhaps I should name my character 'Captain Hypocrite".

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Furism posted:

Even the Brits officially switched to the metric system. It's going to take a while for people to use it as their main system, but it's already official on all the products in stores etc.

Yeah, the only things anyone uses imperial for over here anymore are people's heights and weights and distances on road signs. Basically everything else is metric.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Might sound like a daft question, but Priest heals affect enemies too right?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The default spell.. the one you do ever encounter to heal.. that gets an upgrade called Holy Light or something that then does damage to enemies but not before.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Tony Montana posted:

The default spell.. the one you do ever encounter to heal.. that gets an upgrade called Holy Light or something that then does damage to enemies but not before.

nah, I'm referring to the generic heal spells in the priest spell book, ie the restore <x> endurance.

I'm pretty positive I've seen the targeting circle affect enemies too but I wanted to confirm here, because I don't want to heal my enemies :greenangel:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I have this weird bug where my character seems to always be walking. There's no running animation. I don't know if she's objectively slow also but it feels slower. There's no walk/run toggle key apparently so I can't have pressed that by mistake. Could it be related to Zealous Charge?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
This isn't a hot take on RPG systems and their design, but the walking through the sand animation was cool and good.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

tithin posted:

nah, I'm referring to the generic heal spells in the priest spell book, ie the restore <x> endurance.

I'm pretty positive I've seen the targeting circle affect enemies too but I wanted to confirm here, because I don't want to heal my enemies :greenangel:
I don't think so, the spell should say it affects "all allies in the area of effect" or something

Avalerion posted:

This part was kind of muddy to me as well. I figured Maewald went crazy not just because he awakened but because of the particular circumstances there... remembering being his own rapist father, then indoctrinated into hating himself, no poo poo of course he would be hosed up by all that.
He says being a Watcher fueled the strength of the Awakening, without it he might have ended up more like Aloth who doesn't seem to have access to Iselmyr's memories or thoughts.

It makes sense to have the setup for Pillars 2 be simpler but I really liked Pillars 1's plot structure and I'm going to miss it. A big clusterfuck of poo poo happens all at once and you've got to separate out all the pieces and figure out what exactly is going on. You start out just a normal traveler who happens to be there when a weird cult is doing a ritual, and you end up walking through the halls of dead civilisations and finding out the dark secrets of the gods themselves. The more straightforward style Pillars 2 looks like it's going to have will work for more people (you see the baddie at the start of the game, he does something bad so you know he's the baddie and your character doesn't like him) but I hope there's still some weird mystery poo poo in there for me.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

mitochondritom posted:

I really hope if they make a new Shadowrun game in the future they use a different engine, the one they have is really crap.

It is like mobile-game levels of bad. I was so ready to love them all but each one was painful to get even half way through.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

.The problem is if someone remade Actual Baldur's Gate Over Again With Better Graphics, eveyrone would hate it because the setting would, today, feel incredibly generic. People's tastes have moved on.

Oh no way, I would pay literally hundreds of dollars for BG1/2 in like the PoE engine.

Janissary Hop posted:

[ting]http://i.imgur.com/fn8bJh6.jpg[/timg]

Damm, had not heard of the Fallout 1.5 mod before. Is there a thread for the old Fallouts?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

tithin posted:

Generaly they should't, think there is/was a bug with one that creates a heal aura where it did, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

2house2fly posted:

You start out just a normal traveler who happens to be there when a weird cult is doing a ritual

Do you? Aren't you a specific ancestor of someone important, and are reacting to Thaos' presence before the ritual even begins (the "rumbling rot")?

• Locked thread