Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Hav posted:

Kinda like the old empire collapsing in Foundation.

The New Era has you working as a group of technologically advanced people attempting to rebuild in essentially the hostile universe with all your computers effectively turned into expert systems with human airgaps. It's actually a neat way to resolve the technology into more of a 1990s setting.

While the whole thing could be argued as "making no sense" for a hard sci-fi setting, it make absolutely perfect sence and is a wonderful game device for a tabletop role play setting. The necessity of having "human airgaps" justify players going out and doing things instead of just setting up instructions and pushing "GO" on a keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Just imagine it pertains to chris's wig. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPRVXTytJQ0

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I love that you'd only know this thing exists from a rando website, not CIGs or any of their several shows. Its deliberate, this is for new suckers.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if they even mention their latest $100+ sale

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Even if you want to excuse away all the lovely date stuff, the ironclad counter-argument to this is that CIG is deliberately running articles through scammy bottomfeeder "News" sites. Why would they do that? It's clear that it isn't a misstep, it's a pattern of deliberate behavior, and more often than not those scam-articles also include dates and estimates that turn out to be wildly inaccurate.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

OK so say CIG isn't lying, they are just so incredibly inept they can't predict a date within a 3 year window. That is good for Star Citizen.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I'm guessing Chris Roberts is going to say he invented rag doll physics now? Is this supposed to be something groundbreaking I'm missing that backers are cheering for?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

System Shock might have been contemporary with Traveller:TNE. I suspect that Portal owes more to System Shock in terms that GlaDOS is a subversion of the evil AI. I'm not a fan of Portal the game, but Portal the story in the game is pretty drat awesome.

Another cute concept was the bank from Pratchett's early sci-fi outings. This was effectively a planet that had become accidentally sentient through an arrangement of crystals in the crust, and had offered to become a galactic bank.

Rogue AI have always been a cool concept, right up there with zombies. Though less done. Skynet and stuff included. :)

I've enjoyed Pratchett, but don't think I read this one. I've only read his fantasy stuff but not science fiction.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Someone get Derek there in a Genji mask.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

Here, journalists, I have researched a list of convenient questions for you to ask Chris Roberts in your next totally-not-a-paid-placement interview! No need to thank me- just be sure to read them verbatim.

At Gamescom in April of 2016 you demo'd the "Alpha" of Star Citizen's 3.0 patch, which was slated to introduce NPC's and a larger game world. At the time you indicated that this was set to release before the end of the year.
At the moment, it is 2 months into 2017, and several statements by employees have given the impression that you have not even begun working on 3.0. Is that the case, and if so, what was it that you showed off last year at Gamescom? What prompted you to give late-2016 as a release date?

In an interview with Forbes in 2013, you said: "[Then] an alpha of the single-player game, and then finally a beta of the persistent universe by the end of the year (2014)." Now obviously that was wildly off the mark.
What was behind your estimates at that time, and what has changed to push the release date back by 3+ years with no end in sight? Are you addicted to that little tingle that comes from making declarative statements?

On your forums in 2014, Ben Lesnick, then director of community engagement and content strategy, said: " [... We] plan to launch the Persistent Universe sometime in 2015 and expect to have all the features we’ve talked about to date implemented and functioning (with the help of the community which will be testing them) over the course of the ensuing year." In an interview with Geekdomo in April 2014, Erin Roberts said: "For the first chapter [of Squadron 42], we're aiming for it to be towards the beginning of next year (2015)."What was behind their estimates at that time? It appears that in each of these quotes, the strategy when discussing release dates was just to say something approximately 12 months ahead of the current moment. Would you say your company has some kind of issue with estimating more than 5-6 months out? Would you say that the "Con" in CitizenCon does not, in fact, stand for "Convention?"

In this video, you begin waving your hands while describing procedural generation for star citizen in 2014. In this video, you begin waving your hands while describing procedural generation for star citizen in 2016. These appear to be the same mechanics you've been waving your hands and describing for 2 years. What have you actually accomplished, you intolerable waste of skin?

In september of last year, you angrily denied rumors that the SQ42 was delayed. Less than a month later, you did a complete 180 on that statement and announced that the game was delayed, and promised an update in the near future. It's been 4 months since then and it is increasingly apparent that you weren't anywhere close to finishing the smallest part of this project. When you lie so blatantly, do your testicles kind of shrink up into your body or have you lost the ability to feel shame?

Virtually everything in this timeline is wrong. Are you a loofah-faced poo poo gibbon?

I personally like how the interview questions slowly get more and more hostile.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The Titanic posted:

I personally like how the interview questions slowly get more and more hostile.

It's like the opposite of the Peter Molyneux interview where they just opened up with calling him a liar.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

You betcha :thumbsup:

What, the entire all-star cast, including whatsisface and that random dude? Who's left making the game

I hope somebody can get to the lingering question of:

Who is that person so important your whole company stops when they break their wrists in an unexpected biking accident?

Because whoever that person is is probably the only one making the game.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

I hope somebody can get to the lingering question of:

Who is that person so important your whole company stops when they break their wrists in an unexpected biking accident?

Because whoever that person is is probably the only one making the game.

:golfclap:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

It's like the opposite of the Peter Molyneux interview where they just opened up with calling him a liar.

To be fair, everyone had been thinking it for a decade.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

You need to link these so I can drive by downvote the fuckers

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

OK so say CIG isn't lying, they are just so incredibly inept they can't predict a date within a 3 year window. That is good for Star Citizen.

Expecting Chris Roberts to act like he knows what he's doing is all they can hope for.

The problem is that he doesn't know what he's doing, and these two things keep crashing into each other.

He tells everybody what they want to hear, they spend more money, mission accomplished. Sure he's probably specifically told dates, and advised heavily to not promise this or that in this ridiculous time frame, but what do those people know?

He's Chris loving Roberts, man who brings in the $$$. He's not Chris Roberts, delivery man. Go get your own pizza, filthy leaver.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Did anyone watch this ? I sure as poo poo am not

But I want funny stupid Ben quotes to read

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
What happened to the Bad Webcomics wiki?
I get a Bad Gateway.
http://badwebcomicswiki.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

:3:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Mokinokaro posted:

Someone get Derek there in a Genji mask.

If people funded it, I'd mass produce V for Vendetta style Derek Smart masks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
CIG kept a 2016 release date on their site after they knew SQ42 would be pushed back to 2017. That's a loving lie.

Not that it matters.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Unfortunately CIG's art direction, like everything else, is limited by the imagination of its creative director. Color is just one example. There's little inspiration with respect to any aspect of the game, from the appearance of characters to the starships to even the lore itself. It's pretty sad when the story of Star Citizen (the project) is more interesting and immersive than the story of Star Citizen (the game).

I feel like a lot of it is that Star Citizen has no soul. It has no defining characteristics or rules that dictate how things look or how the universe operates. If you look at something out of Star Wars or Star Trek you can associate it with that universe. Firefly did the same thing by focusing on a western, frontier aesthetic. Elite has largely done the same thing (although I think the Guatamaya ships are a bit out of synch). Wing Commander (the game) did as well with their jets in space and open hangars trying to create a WW2 look within the limitations of the technology. In WC1/2 the ships were bright and colorful, with distinctive silhouettes that attempted to evoke the look of a WW2 space plane. Between WC1 and WC2 the emphasis was placed on increasing the style by using the extra pixels to add paneling in a manner that suggested a riveted warbird. This aesthetic was also transitioned over to the Kilrathi ships, which had a distinct look but retained a "riveted together" appearance. Privateer also follows this aesthetic even with the alien Selkath craft which have a paneled look. The same thing is visible in the cut scenes, and in the inside of the cockpits. Incidentally the limited viewspace of the cockpits was a technical trick; the less you could see out the window the less you had to render.

Curiously Privateer shows an interesting turning point for Wing Commander. While the ships are still sprites they were clearly based off of 3D models. If you compare the difference between ships featured in the first WC and Privateer you can clearly see that the color palette is now muted. We see the same thing happen in later WC ships. As more freedom allows for more detail, it seems to come at the expense of color. This continues in the Wing Commander movie and ultimately now in CR's latest release.

Unfortunately the technological freedom of Star Citizen has resulted in a mish-mash of creative ideas with little in the way of a unifying appearance. Vanduul, Xian, Banu, and Human ships have little to suggest they're part of the same universe. Even the different Human manufacturers take wildly different approaches and leave a lot to be desired. Why does a Hornet have massive "hydrogen scoops" and wings but the Aurora has neither but relies on fans? Why does Drake have everything from a wingless stump of a ship in the Herald to a Cutlass to a space-jet Buccaneer? Where is the unifying theme? What universal rules bring everything together? I would argue there are none, and instead the various ships reflect the lack of vision of the creator. Given the freedom to do anything, Chris Roberts chooses to do everything.

The trend continues. New/Old Hornet Comparison is basically much darker and muted.

imo all this art is irrelevant and a waste of resources. Make the gameplay using programmer art, then worry about how it looks once the mechanics have been flushed out. But citizens still have the audacity to say:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

CIG kept a 2016 release date on their site after they knew SQ42 would be pushed back to 2017. That's a loving lie.

Not that it matters.

Beer have some sympathy. They're just a small indie firm with a handful of people working , it takes time to update things like that

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Reminder

In less than the time CIG has taken to squeak out the damp fart that is Star Citizen's current progress, one man drew and animated this by himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Xaerael posted:

Kickstart that poo poo, son. I'd love to see the Retsupurae video where they're trying to figure out why it exists, and why it's been funded.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Sappo569 posted:

Beer have some sympathy. They're just a small indie firm with a handful of people working , it takes time to update things like that

I don't get it. If they have 3XX people performing various tasks, and some were hired specifically for work on flight mechanics, art, ships, etc., why can't these people just do that? Does every need to be pulled off to work on tasks outside of their job responsibility?

What's key for the next few updates are:

-Delta patching
-Network code refactor
-Zoning/instancing in the mega-map

i have it on good authority that there's supposed to be some sort of decent update to the network code by the time 2.6.2 drops. And, I don't think we'll see many more updates to 2.6.xxx until 3.0. Other than that, I'm thinking that they are still chugging away on intricate systems without divulging too much of those details to the general public. They've received ridicule enough for unveiling something pivotal too early, so outside of evocati, I cannot imagine they'll do it again.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Xaerael posted:

Just make the current one rounder and angrier.

edit:

ManofManyAliases posted:

I don't get it. If they have 3XX people performing various tasks, and some were hired specifically for work on flight mechanics, art, ships, etc., why can't these people just do that? Does every need to be pulled off to work on tasks outside of their job responsibility?

Swing and a miss. Presumably the modellers have some work they could be doing on things that have been sold and only exist in jpeg form? But retinting a model is key, yeah?

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 10, 2017

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

-Delta patching
-Network code refactor

i have it on good authority that there's supposed to be some sort of decent update to the network code by the time 2.6.2 drops. And, I don't think we'll see many more updates to 2.6.xxx until 3.0. Other than that, I'm thinking that they are still chugging away on intricate systems without divulging too much of those details to the general public. They've received ridicule enough for unveiling something pivotal too early, so outside of evocati, I cannot imagine they'll do it again.

What pray tell did they ever divulge too early, that was both pivotal and actually loving released ?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

-Delta patching
-Network code refactor

:frogsiren: StarNetwork 2.0 confirmed :frogsiren:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

-Delta patching
-Network code refactor

What they're actually working on:

-Toilet accessibility
-Ship palette swaps
-Ship pilot facial animations
-Pure spectator mode

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ManofManyAliases posted:

i have it on good authority

For the weekend, everyone in the thread should pretend to have sources when you post something.

I have it on good authority that it will be fun.

e: my secret source tax

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

didn't they no-show at short notice for a previous PC Gamer event last year? I'm pretty sure it was pc gamer.

Chunjee posted:

The trend continues. New/Old Hornet Comparison is basically much darker and muted.

imo all this art is irrelevant and a waste of resources. Make the gameplay using programmer art, then worry about how it looks once the mechanics have been flushed out.
Goddamn this is their art team basically twiddling their thumbs because they can't do anything else productive with their time.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I'm happy about them fixing the "patcher" though, that oughtta be one big thorn in somebody's side. They haven't even fixed the lovely ASCII art

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I have it on very solid authority that nothing much will be released by summer

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

I have it on good authority that Chris Roberts is a bad storyteller.

Citation:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wing_commander/

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I have it on very solid authority that nothing much will be released by summer

Pah. MY sources are talking about ship skin sales.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hav posted:

Pah. MY sources are talking about ship skin sales.

If sales are releases, Star Citizen was released very long ago

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I tried to warn you!!!

Chunjee posted:

Can you name your most crucial 'must be working in 2017' feature? Or 'Must be working by summer 2017' would be interesting as well. I'm pretty astonished a space game can get this far without demonstratable mining or trade. But tell us what you think is most important. It's very easy to argue over if the netcode has improved or not so please choose something concrete.

ManofManyAliases posted:

-Delta patching
-Network code refactor

please stop parping me.

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Xaerael posted:

You just gave me an idea on how to repaint the one I have. Thanks goonfriend.