Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

I just started training BJJ last week. I found a nice, inviting gym and I'm having a ton of fun. My legs have been sore the day after a class and I'm not very flexible. Are there any stretches that you guys can recommend that might help to prevent the soreness and help with the flexibility? It's mostly my calves and my hips that are the most sore.

Congrats and welcome. Flexibility will come with time, you're gonna be sore for a bit too because your body is working in ways it's really unaccustomed to. Epson salt baths help.

As for stretches, I'm partial to runner's lungers and S mount stretches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Are there any common BJJ techniques that don't exist in a typical Judo syllabus? And conversely are there Judo ground techniques that you wouldn't see in BJJ?

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Subyng posted:

Are there any common BJJ techniques that don't exist in a typical Judo syllabus? And conversely are there Judo ground techniques that you wouldn't see in BJJ?
Plenty of BJJ techniques you won't see in judo - no submissions below the waist, no neck cranks, no slicers, no wrist locks, no attacks to the shoulders. Only arm locks that attack the elbow, chokes, and pins are allowed. Guillotines have to have one arm in to count as a choke and not a crank. Depending on the judo club and whether or not they're gearing up for competition season, you may or may not get to learn some of the illegal techniques.

Many judo techniques you will see in BJJ since there's a lot of overlap, but some techniques aren't so common like the judo flat turtle position (which is mainly for stalling until you're stood back up) and attacks to counter the judo flat turtle position. I'd say that judo ground techniques are very fundamental compared to BJJ, due to judo's olympic ruleset to favour stand up fighting and BJJ evolving the ground game so much over the years.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Bangkero posted:

no attacks to the shoulders.

Like Americana or Kimura?

Can you tell me more about positional differences?

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Subyng posted:

Like Americana or Kimura?

Americanas and kimuras are technically a grey area since it attacks both the elbow and shoulder but widely accepted in judo as most judges will let it happen and schools will teach it. Same as omaplatas.

Positional differences in newaza? That's a lot of information - what do you want to know? In a nutshell you want to work to get to an advantageous position for the pin or submission. A good beginner book to read is Stephan Kesting's roadmap for BJJ book: http://www.grapplearts.com/bjj-books/ . It outlines the hierarchy of positions.

Did you try out the judo classes already? How'd you like it?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Subyng posted:

The major positions are largely the same, but they're used to achieve different goals. The turtle position, for example, is a strong defensive position in judo, while bjj players tend to use it as a transitional position and they try not to stay there long.

Learning one won't damage your understanding of the other, if that's what you're worried about. They're quite complimentary.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

To expand on the "flat turtle" opening, the judo techniques which don't exist or at least which don't get taught much* in BJJ are the explosive newaza types of attacks/escapes. The principle of position before submission doesn't work in judo comp rules because a) you have like 10 seconds to get something going, b) the refs will stand you up even from spiderweb if it looks stalled, and c) if you're on the bottom you have 20 seconds to get out.

So most of the judo ground escapes and turnovers are explosive techniques with deep bridging, which BJJ with its "Cook" and "Control" ethos won't do.

Judo's hands-on-face rules are much stricter, meaning that many BJJ escapes and strangle setups won't work in judo, either.

*The judo textbooks contain most of the footlocks spine cranks and stuff, but they're so illegal in competition that you'll never see them in a class.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Are there any good websites that I can read up on BJJ techniques, scoring, etc. that you all would recommend?

After three? weeks of it I'm getting my own gi and looking to take it more seriously.

e: youtube channels would work too

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 8, 2017

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

boy are my arms tired posted:

Are there any good websites that I can read up on BJJ techniques, scoring, etc. that you all would recommend?

After three? weeks of it I'm getting my own gi and looking to take it more seriously.

e: youtube channels would work too

http://www.grapplearts.com/

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

love this website already, thanks!

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

JaySB posted:

Wait are you trying to defend Aikido?

Yep, Aikido is the bestest (ok not). You go hard some times, you go easy other times. And that would be most of the time.

The worst thing ever for a beginner is running on "rails" trying to throw massive hooks or kicks.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Bangkero posted:

Did you try out the judo classes already? How'd you like it?

Yep, I'm having a lot of fun! I did jiu jitsu before so I'm already familiar with the techniques so far.

I also joined a BJJ gym. Enjoying that as well, although to be honest the "bro" culture of it doesn't really vibe with me, although I'm not sure if this a product of the specific gym I'm training at.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 9, 2017

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Subyng posted:

I also joined a BJJ gym. Enjoying that as well, although to be honest the "bro" culture of it doesn't really vibe with me, although I'm not sure if this a product of the specific gym I'm training at.

It varies from gym to gym. The gym I go to is owned by a nerd who has a pretty big knowledge of comic book movies and thinks that the New Jedi Order was the best EU books for starwars(They're not). As such the gym attracts some pretty chill grapple nerds and bros.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Subyng posted:

It varies completely from gym to gym, I've trained at what felt like a chess/DnD Club all the way through to a place where I was genuinely scared of everyone in the place because half were on tag and the other half were drug dealers, with the odd pro fighter mixed in, all trying to kill each other seemingly.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Subyng posted:

Yep, I'm having a lot of fun! I did jiu jitsu before so I'm already familiar with the techniques so far.

Very much varies, even within affiliations.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Subyng posted:

I had a similar issue at my last gym. I wrongfully assumed that it was gonna be like a TMA class with the stinky fat guys, the spiritual ponytail guys, and nervous old guys with serious competitors mixed in. I also wrongfully assumed that everyone cared about each other's growth for the sake of the competition team. But it was all a big high school bro-jock egotistical atmosphere.

I was a passive-aggressively bullied a lot. After about 4 months I could hold my own against the blue belts and only get tapped a few times by the purples. I guess they didn't like that and would often stop and scold me while rolling for not doing what they thought I should be doing. Even chiming in on my matches with other whitebelts to give authoritative advice that usually didn't help or in one case caused me to go from escaping a triangle to getting tapped by said triangle. But I stupidly let them get to me and deferred to their 'wisdom' and started performing worse because my confidence was broken and would lose focus while rolling. Half me constantly second guessing myself, half worried that someone was going to criticize me. I'm sharing this as a reminder of the golden rule: if you don't feel comfortable there, gtfo immediately.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Subyng posted:

Nice, great to hear you're enjoying it. I did TJJ and made the switch to judo since it's one thing to know the techniques and another to know how to apply it in randori. Both BJJ and Judo totally compliment each other but I really recommend you try other BJJ schools before committing to one. There are so many good schools in Toronto that you're bound to find one that you vibe with. Keep the thread posted!

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I dunno anything about this school but I've seen some of Elliot Bayev's videos and he does not strike me as "bro" at all so maybe try here?
http://www.openmat.ca

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Well, it's all relative of course. I've not had any real issues so far, it's just kind of a slight personality clash. And honestly I've been trying to learn how to mesh better with different kinds of people so I'm sure as I continue to train I'll feel more comfortable.

I'm only on a free trial at this gym so I'm definitely going to check out Open Mat afterwards.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone here ever get into judo kata? I've been watching a few this afternoon (because I need to be able to do Nage no Kata's first three sets reasonably well for my next promotion).

Subyng
May 4, 2013
What can I do when someone is trying to pass my open guard, but I'm blocking them with one knee on their belly? I find myself in this situation a lot and it seems pretty trivial for the opponent to just push my legs away or spin around, and when they're sinking their weight down on my leg I kind of feel stuck.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Put your legs elsewhere

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Where? Seems like between me and them is the best place for them to be.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Well either keep them to yourself, so they can't use them to pass, or place them on your opponent's hips / inner knees. Use them to keep your partner at bay. Your knee on their stomach makes it easy for them to control your leg and move it.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Subyng posted:

What can I do when someone is trying to pass my open guard, but I'm blocking them with one knee on their belly? I find myself in this situation a lot and it seems pretty trivial for the opponent to just push my legs away or spin around, and when they're sinking their weight down on my leg I kind of feel stuck.

Knee shield half guard...

Or start doing this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBmPIEn92CI

Or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me6AZuicrpc

JaySB fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 12, 2017

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah the jock/bro culture is really annoying at first as a new mma gym member. Nobody even wants to drop acid in the locker room or go to the women's march, they're insufferable. Thankfully there seems to be more women than men at my gym and they are much less annoying. I don't think I get to hang out in that locker room though.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Subyng posted:

Vids that JaySB posted are good. It's not really a spot where you can sit and wait for them to take initiative from. Playing guard is an active process; it's not just stopping them from passing, it's also them stopping you from improving position, too.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah the jock/bro culture is really annoying at first as a new mma gym member. Nobody even wants to drop acid in the locker room or go to the women's march, they're insufferable. Thankfully there seems to be more women than men at my gym and they are much less annoying. I don't think I get to hang out in that locker room though.

My gym is pretty chill. The worst thing that can happen is if one of the two Trump supporters will corner you in the locker room and ask if you believe in "family values."

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
I posted my 1st BJJ tournament as a 37 year old white belt in the Grappling thread in Rowdy Ringsports, if anyone is interested.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386441&pagenumber=272#lastpost

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

Anyone here ever get into judo kata? I've been watching a few this afternoon (because I need to be able to do Nage no Kata's first three sets reasonably well for my next promotion).

It's been a little while but I was working on Nage no kata before the Judo class I was at dissolved. It was not my favorite part of class. Did you have a specific question about it? (not sure that I could answer it, if I remember correctly there are a couple dudes in the grappling thread with Judo experience)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

n3rdal3rt posted:

It's been a little while but I was working on Nage no kata before the Judo class I was at dissolved. It was not my favorite part of class. Did you have a specific question about it? (not sure that I could answer it, if I remember correctly there are a couple dudes in the grappling thread with Judo experience)

Oh I don't have a specific question. I was just wondering if anyone was interested enough to talk about it in any way, because the more I practice/watch Judo kata, the more that I find it kinda neat - like participating in a living, demonstrative textbook or something. I'm not going to pretend that it's anything but demonstration in itself, but when I've started to contemplate the finer and exaggerated details of the kata, I've learned new things about the throws which have actually translated back to randori and resisting opponents.

For those unfamiliar with Judo kata, they actually involve a partner and real thumps, and thus there's more to them than the bullshido-style shouty karate kata. The first 9 techniques (18 throws) in this one are what I'm working on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qe_JKQjJTA

in before all of you kata nerds point out that this one was film from the rear angle

Nage no Kata is the Kata that needs to be demonstrated at a high level for the first two degrees of a judo black belt - hand, hip, and foot techniques for first degree, and then the two sets of sacrifice techniques for second. Katame no kata - the groundwork kata - is required for third degree, and it shows a bunch of holds and submissions, with entries, setups, and ways of preventing uke from escaping. It includes Judo's only significant leg lock technique (it's basically just the ashi position) :eng101:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Did some MMA rounds for the first time in a while. Jesus christ I need to get in better shape than BJJ requires.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Kekekela posted:

Did some MMA rounds for the first time in a while. Jesus christ I need to get in better shape than BJJ requires.

Wrestle, from standing

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Also box.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
In fact, box and wrestle at the same time.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Bangkero posted:

In fact, box and wrestle at the same time.

Maybe I can mix those with the martial art of BJJ also.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

Oh I don't have a specific question. I was just wondering if anyone was interested enough to talk about it in any way, because the more I practice/watch Judo kata, the more that I find it kinda neat - like participating in a living, demonstrative textbook or something. I'm not going to pretend that it's anything but demonstration in itself, but when I've started to contemplate the finer and exaggerated details of the kata, I've learned new things about the throws which have actually translated back to randori and resisting opponents.

For those unfamiliar with Judo kata, they actually involve a partner and real thumps, and thus there's more to them than the bullshido-style shouty karate kata. The first 9 techniques (18 throws) in this one are what I'm working on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qe_JKQjJTA

in before all of you kata nerds point out that this one was film from the rear angle

Nage no Kata is the Kata that needs to be demonstrated at a high level for the first two degrees of a judo black belt - hand, hip, and foot techniques for first degree, and then the two sets of sacrifice techniques for second. Katame no kata - the groundwork kata - is required for third degree, and it shows a bunch of holds and submissions, with entries, setups, and ways of preventing uke from escaping. It includes Judo's only significant leg lock technique (it's basically just the ashi position) :eng101:

There is definitely stuff to learn from the kata and I think it's neat to have something that standardized in a grappling art. Judo is supposed to be the same everywhere but there is always little differences in the way individual judoka like to setup or finish throws. Ideally the kata are the same everywhere which can't honestly be said for karate kata. Its a fun connection back to the OGs.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

n3rdal3rt posted:

There is definitely stuff to learn from the kata and I think it's neat to have something that standardized in a grappling art. Judo is supposed to be the same everywhere but there is always little differences in the way individual judoka like to setup or finish throws. Ideally the kata are the same everywhere which can't honestly be said for karate kata. Its a fun connection back to the OGs.

Last night I was talking to my instructor about this. He noted that all of the instructional documentation for Katame no Kata says "tori applies the hold; uke attempts three escapes," without specifying any escapes, but that in practice there are three specific escapes that uke is supposed to attempt. That little unwritten bit is the actual "connection back to the OGs"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

My main martial art is kendo and my opinion is that realistic sparring with weapons is impossible. You can simulate parts of it, possibly all the various parts, but you cannot do all the parts combined. It's simply too dangerous, which is why koryu's such as Katori Shinto Ryu, etc was 'invented'. Obviously the main purpose of those arts have changed. There's no 'need' to learn to use a sword, so people do it as a hobby and as tool for self-development.
You could argue that the art is dead/dying because of that, but then whenever I have practiced with the senior KSR teachers, they are just as much 'alive' as my opponents in kendo.

What I'm objecting against, is that martial arts should be defined as something that's effective when you want to punch people in the face (or want to avoid getting punched in the face). It's far more broad than that. (you can punch them in groin too!)

I can almost gaurantee you there is nothing more 'deadly' in your koryu than any of the western sword forms, and those are at this point a solved problem from the direction of making live sparring work.

A form which cannot be trained against a resisting opponent is historically useless, because it leaves a student one chance to get it right in actual combat or die trying.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 15, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sword combat is a solved problem in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Siivola posted:

Sword combat is a solved problem in general.

[timg]

That gif is also relevant to Akido.