Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Stangg posted:

So I've been having a really bad time with draft since I hit diamond, not gone above 3 wins in my last 5 drafts and mostly im getting crushed at 0 or 1. So i think rather than luck I'm missing something fundamental to let me continue playing at a decent level.

Just drafted what I think is a pretty solid combrei deck, I'm trying to decide if it's worth splashing the blue for the extra removal and powerful flyers and I have no idea what I'd cut if I did.

My gut says that my fixing isn't good enough to splash and I should just go for a decent combrei build.

Here's the pile of cards that "could" go into the deck, be interested to see what you guys think:

so a combrei build would look something like:

Game one went well and felt much better than I have been in my previous drafts, teleport was mvp in protecting my fourth tree elder from a dispel for the eventual win (while pillar of amar clogged up the ground).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Hauki posted:

New Jekk spoiler

I'm not good enough to not get owned by whatever hellish stonescar deck this goes into.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I think 5 is just a tad too high for what you get, especially with all the silence effects running about.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Cynic Jester posted:

I think 5 is just a tad too high for what you get, especially with all the silence effects running about.

If it was any cheaper Haunting Scream would work on it, which would be really cool in a way.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Cynic Jester posted:

Yeah that's my main issue too. Silence will just blow you straight out of the game for that cost in most cases. I'm careful with dismissing cards like that but I also have trouble with seeing a fire deck that would really want to play this. Maybe some weird Stonescar where you hope to eat it but you already have other options that aren't such a big investment so ehh?

rumble in the bunghole posted:

If it was any cheaper Haunting Scream would work on it, which would be really cool in a way.
Pretty happy that it doesn't not gonna lie here

I'm not super impressed by the cards we've seen so far and I hope that they hide a bomb or two in the adventure

Jekk - Good card but maybe too slow. Rakano also doesn't really have a mid-range deck that wants to support this. Could happen though since the tools are kinda there already
Cabal Spymaster - Pretty solid on paper and possibly insane if you can get a second proc on a Beastcaller/Amulet or another high tier infiltrate. Not good with Haunting Scream though since your Fanatics can only ever proc once.
Combrei Emissary - Could maybe see play in a Combrei deck that goes heavy on the empower synergy?

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 13, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

primal death 2.0

Better?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Tin Tim posted:

Is that the deck I lost to? drat

Yeah.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Welp good to know that I probably wouldn't have won even if I held my Suffocate for later. It was a garbage play though so I kinda deserved the loss just because of that. Back then I felt pressured into keeping the board as clean as possible to pave the way for my Assembly Line next turn. Cause if I let that 2/3 stick then I wouldn't have been able to push any real damage for the next 2-3 turns which was an awful outlook for my Stonescar deck. I was too hasty though tbh. I should have waited at least another turn to see if I was truly as desperate as I felt. Grats on the good score, dude!

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 13, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Hauki posted:

New Jekk spoiler

Another card absolutely crapped on by Steward, thanks Dire Wolf

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Steward affects Entomb units too? Dang.

Also with Silence all over the place I assume you would want to kill the Bait yourself. Should be an interesting draft card though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Hand Row posted:

Steward affects Entomb units too? Dang.

Also with Silence all over the place I assume you would want to kill the Bait yourself. Should be an interesting draft card though.
These cards arent going to be available in draft. Yes, I am very salty about dire wolf making one of the best online CCG mechanics, entomb, completely competitively unviable.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Springboarding off of best online CCG mechanics: Echo / Crown of Possibility / Clockroach decks are hilarious when they go off but being Elysian means it's difficult to run control long enough to get to that critical tipping point. Actually, now that I think of it, is there a Time / Primal / Justice variant that splashes in green for Harsh Rule?

e: Steward of the Void is also such a potent hate card, maybe going Shadow for Withering Witch + fast removal?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The problem is too many pushed silence cards in general (between Valk and Steward 90% of decks get a pushed silence card). It's tough to design around because the only precedent is HS where the mechanic eventually had to be mostly nerfed out of competitive play - and that's when the mechanic was never pushed to start with.

We now have these weird cards like Umbren Reaper which are crazy OP without pushed silence effects. It makes designing cool fun slower cards like bait impossible.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Sir Rhino will spoil a card in like 2 hours provided that his internet doesn't die again

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

No Wave posted:

The problem is too many pushed silence cards in general (between Valk and Steward 90% of decks get a pushed silence card). It's tough to design around because the only precedent is HS where the mechanic eventually had to be mostly nerfed out of competitive play - and that's when the mechanic was never pushed to start with.

We now have these weird cards like Umbren Reaper which are crazy OP without pushed silence effects. It makes designing cool fun slower cards like bait impossible.

Yeah its a shame how prevalent it is. I like playing feln and its a bit frustrating how it suffers from silence as well as not having any direct silence cards of its own (of course steward of the past is still great). I found my success rate with feln control shot way up once I cut down permafrost to a 2-of (still thinking of dropping it entirely too) and dumping every card that pulls from the graveyard. I used to run 2x vara, which is a fun card when it works but most of the time but not consistent enough to win games with imo.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Seems interesting. Nothing amazing but the effect is pretty special

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Seems pretty good, the tilt from drawing him will be real though

Edit: according to reddit you only draw one from your deck at EOT if your hand is empty. That freaking sucks. Never mind, card is probably bad.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 13, 2017

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I predict this card to do absolutely nothing beyond joke decks.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

No Wave posted:

According to reddit you only draw one from your deck at EOT if your hand is empty. That freaking sucks.
Yeah and it's most likely a hedge against possible abuse. For instance I wouldn't really like to play against Jito that dumps their hand on 3 and then draws 4 cards for free. Sure those cards are slow but still stuff that any red aggro deck can just throw down to keep it going. As it stands it's niche but hey unique effects sometimes deliver unexpectedly?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tbf in your example drawing 1 per turn is substantively similar to drawing 4 as they'll only be able to play 1 per turn (the only upside is getting the crap draws out of your deck earlier)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 13, 2017

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012
I really hope the expansion isn't going to continue on the trend of must-answer units rather than interesting spells or at least cards with draw. This is already a problem with the game imo

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012
I'm actually hoping for some encouragement to stay in this game. Not that anyone in here has any incentive to do so. But lately I've started noticing most of my ranked matches had less real decision-making than a game of Hearthstone would. Which is loving terrifying considering how horrible the HS meta is. Lack of a hero power to weave in, the addition of drawing cards that say "give you mana you don't need" make the top-decking situation so common and feel so helpless. I feel like the game has plenty of potential, but I don't know anymore. I'm just looking for a reason to stay. There is almost zero decision-making in the vast majority of games I play, and it's getting depressing.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

dead in real life posted:

I'm actually hoping for some encouragement to stay in this game. Not that anyone in here has any incentive to do so. But lately I've started noticing most of my ranked matches had less real decision-making than a game of Hearthstone would. Which is loving terrifying considering how horrible the HS meta is. Lack of a hero power to weave in, the addition of drawing cards that say "give you mana you don't need" make the top-decking situation so common and feel so helpless. I feel like the game has plenty of potential, but I don't know anymore. I'm just looking for a reason to stay. There is almost zero decision-making in the vast majority of games I play, and it's getting depressing.

Some decks feel this way for sure and I don't like playing them for more than an hour or so. I try them out so I can get a feel for how they work though, it makes them easier to beat. Decks that feel like they're on autopilot also tend to be fairly predictable when you're up against them.

I like playing control decks because you often have to win by predicting what kind of deck your opponent is playing, and predicting what they're going to do several turns ahead. There's always tons of choice involved in what to use your removal on and when to use it, when to push for damage vs when to hold back, and so on. You need to win by out-thinking your opponent rather than just out-curving them and getting a few lucky draws. The endgame often ends up with them top-decking and you holding onto 5+ cards (maybe several of them are power cards, but they don't need to know that).

That said, a lot of decks are pretty boring too. I think this game would be better if ranked matches were a best-of-3 format with sideboards, it would add a lot more strategy to the game.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Yeah I played ranked today for a quest and good LORD it was aggro as gently caress. I just love drafting so that's what I play 95% of the time.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I tried to make a Stonescar aggro deck for a quest and kept running into superior aggro, so ended doing something else, dunno the term for it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ranked is bad IMO unfortunately, I only enjoy draft

The good news is that this game should theoretically get better as new cards are added but I can't pretend that ranked is very interesting right now

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
If you're feeling tired, it's probably worth trying a new deck. I just chucked some rakano stuff into a stonescar deck and it's a nice change, and when I get sick of that I'll try clockroaches again or something.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

I actually don't agree with this. I've been playing mostly a budget version of Rakano Plate (one of the most straightforward aggro decks, I'd guess) in Ranked, and I think it has tons of decision making. Some common situations:

- on turn 2, whether to play the aegis warcry 2/2 or a non-aegis unit; if my opponent has Torch mana up, maybe I want to play the aegis one so they can't kill it, or maybe if they have red mana but they're tapped out I play non-aegis so they have to use Torch on their turn and mess up their curve, or maybe I want to bait the Torch to protect another unit or a Sword of Icaria, etc.
- whether to tap out to play a 2-drop on turn 2, or wait a turn so I can protect it with Finest Hour
- play green mana on turn 1 and 2 so I can drop a 3-health Champion on turn 2, or play red mana on turn 1 to hold open Torch
- trade Sword of Icaria for one unit so I can attack with all my guys, or kill a 1/x and hold back my guys to protect the Sword and try for a 2-for-1
- play Hammer of Might this turn on my aegis'd unit, or get greedy and play Navani this turn and try to Hammer her next turn

In addition to stuff every deck faces like when to spend your removal.

I'm curious what deck you're playing where there's zero decision-making. You might have fun with a Bloodrite Kalis deck, there's tons of decisions there about when to sacrifice your units, when to hold back combo cards for a big play, when to just go for it with a big Kalis, and tradeoffs around having guys in your graveyard to power up Torrent of Spiders and Oblivion Spike versus keeping them on your board.

No Wave posted:

Ranked is bad IMO unfortunately, I only enjoy draft

The good news is that this game should theoretically get better as new cards are added but I can't pretend that ranked is very interesting right now

I'd also like to hear your thoughts on why Ranked is bad. Not trying to argue, just interested in your perspective since it's so different from mine. It seems like there are a lot of viable decks that play very differently.

Agreeable Badger
Aug 8, 2008
A good buddy of mine plays 4 color armory and says that it's probably the most thought-intense deck that he's played. It runs 1 of's of a ton of different answers to counter whatever you are up against, and can tutor for them with Rise to the Challenge, so you have to identify what your opponent is likely to play and be ready to answer it. Maybe try something like that.

Also sometimes it helps to have someone ghost you, or to ghost someone else, and talk about play patterns. Games can seem like there's only one line of play after awhile, but it's surprising how often someone else would do something totally different than you would, and if you hear them reason it out, it may have lead to a totally different outcome.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Seems posting here ended my rut of drafting (either that or I really need to stop playing on my phone). The combrei deck from earlier took me to 5 wins, I got another 5 wins from my next feln deck and then I took yet another feln deck below to 7-1. About three quarters of the way to masters rank now, though I do expect to bounce around a bit more first :)

Honestly I think I just make better choices when drafting on my computer, I feel less rushed and take the time to really evaluate my deck. I definitely play better too, the amount of losses I've had from misclicking or rushing a turn on mobile is ridiculous, and this game does not let mistakes go lightly.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Edly posted:

I actually don't agree with this. I've been playing mostly a budget version of Rakano Plate (one of the most straightforward aggro decks, I'd guess) in Ranked, and I think it has tons of decision making.

There are decisions to be made, for about 5 turns.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Deck fatigue is a thing that can happen. I had it pretty fast after playing lots of Rakano because that deck is mostly linear. Sure there are decisions as Edly said but the basic gameplan is very static and can feel stale after you've internalized your most common and good play lines. I switched to Big Combrei afterwards wich was fun for a while but turned out to actually be weirdly similar as to how static/samey it ended up feeling. And since I'm bad at making cool decks from 0 I set out and dug into decklists to find stuff to try and tinker with. I played a few different decks and then stuck to Armory since I enjoyed it the most. Good mix between early game plays, control options, and finishers. The games can be real dynamic depending on what you're up against even if the usual aggro game comes down to having a Harsh Rule at some point. Haven't looked back since and ran it to mid diamond by now. Sure I mostly play draft but I still enjoy ranked sessions every other day or so. I guess what I wanna say is that there are lots of decks out there but you're not seeing them since the game is still in the growth phase and the whole info pool isn't streamlined like in HS or other established games. Take a peek and try some stuff and when the game still doesn't click anymore then welp such is life

I do agree that ranked is pretty aggressive for the most part. Probably due to the point system and the importance of streaks but that's all I got for reasons. Not sure if that really needs to be adressed right the gently caress now but it's certainly something I'd also like to see go down a notch. It's probably more relaxed after you hit Master but there's a lot of competition below it

Oh, there was also another card spoiled that I hadn't noticed myself before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZj9abKOn8Y

Seems like a solid fatty to me

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Edly posted:

I'd also like to hear your thoughts on why Ranked is bad. Not trying to argue, just interested in your perspective since it's so different from mine. It seems like there are a lot of viable decks that play very differently.
Most decks feel extremely autopilot... you start with 4 cards in your hand and rarely get more than 4 non-power cards in your hand at a given time.

If you do as a control deck:
You've usually already won because the few good card draw mechanics in the game like Gorgon Infiltrator, Yeti Scouting Party, and Staff of Stories only work while ahead (gorgon slightly less so)

If you do as a mid-range/aggro deck:
You've usually already lost because you've put less on the board

You don't really have a choice but to play into every card except Harsh Rule immediately because with the exception of Siraf you'd always prefer the cheaper unit was silenced/killed than the more expensive one you'll want to play two turns later. I get that units healing to full at EOT is what magic does but it makes combat much less interesting.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I feel like most decks benefit from having a couple of copies of Seek Power and/or the Sigil searching spells. Aggro decks either curve out and win fast or just lose there's no middle ground because they can't set up the power base or the card draw that a control deck does.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

lazerwolf posted:

I feel like most decks benefit from having a couple of copies of Seek Power and/or the Sigil searching spells. Aggro decks either curve out and win fast or just lose there's no middle ground because they can't set up the power base or the card draw that a control deck does.

It's pretty much mandatory imo unless you intend to win the game within the first few turns. The deck I've been playing lately (just made it into top 100 today) has 6 "favor" spells (4x varas favor and 2x eilyns favor), 2x seek power, and 26 power cards. Plus a bunch of card draw. I had less power before, but I just continued to dial it up until it felt consistent enough. I feel like right now it's at the bare minimum. If you're wondering, the most expensive card is snowcrush animist (at 8), but champion of wisdom is also pretty expensive because I almost never play it until I reach 5p influence. Sometimes these cards sit in my hand for a while, but I almost always get a chance to play them when they're needed.

If I could decide what to cut I'd probably be running 4 seek powers.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

autopilot chat: play a deck that has more options/solutions than rakano or stonescar aggro, there's plenty of non-obvious lines of play, and it's frequently better to not just curve out given the opportunity

by way of example, I just won vs. burn on TPS report by eating 8 damage to the face in favor of saving a permafrost for their impending champ of chaos, knowing I could probably harbinger on 6 to make it back and celestial omening for a loving eilyn's aegis instead of something more shiny when I was already on 9 mana to stop the flameblast he was saving up for. I dipped down to 4 at one point and still won handily.

Also yeah seek power owns

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Hauki posted:

autopilot chat: play a deck that has more options/solutions than rakano or stonescar aggro, there's plenty of non-obvious lines of play, and it's frequently better to not just curve out given the opportunity

by way of example, I just won vs. burn on TPS report by eating 8 damage to the face in favor of saving a permafrost for their impending champ of chaos, knowing I could probably harbinger on 6 to make it back and celestial omening for a loving eilyn's aegis instead of something more shiny when I was already on 9 mana to stop the flameblast he was saving up for. I dipped down to 4 at one point and still won handily.

Also yeah seek power owns
Oh my god... this guy's a genius....

Hauki
May 11, 2010

No Wave posted:

Oh my god... this guy's a genius....

i mean thanks, but i still think autopilot isn't a successful solution in the long term

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Finally made it to Diamond for the first time after being stuck in Gold 1 for a week straight. Even managed not to lose it doing my quest today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
God dammit I was one win away from draft master then I lose two games and of course thats 26 rating lost when I'm only getting 7 for a win. The penalty for losing is so harsh :(