Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
April Fools was just awesome overall, like when I accidentally made Big Nothing an unkillable role-absorber but he got blown up by a lasagna bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CapitalistPig posted:

Best mafia moment of all times imo.

S
C
U
M
H
U
N
T
E
R

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
man, like SCUMHUNTER is the thing i look at where I am like "yeah, this one moment made everything about this stupid party game worth it"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Agreed. Scumhunter was amazing and then Burger wiping out 3/4 of the scumteam as a scum-aligned suicide bomb traitor makes that one of my favorite games ever.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
My favorite mafia is Wild & Crazy Kids mafia.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Dynasty Warriors where I broke the setup by knowing too much about the flavor.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/waypoint/status/832243143269634048

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
man, sometimes i am like "yeah i get why people find you annoying patrick klepek" but then he does things like this and i am like "yeah i like you still fella"

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I like Patrick. Sometimes he rolls with the punches so much that he overcorrects hard and loses the thread of his actual audience (ie not the people who troll him endlessly on twitter) but overall he's cool and good.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

BottleKnight posted:

My favorite mafia is Wild & Crazy Kids mafia.

:siren:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cops aren't great, but naive, insane and paranoid cops are worse imo

I think anytime you try to trick the players it should be through setup extra expectations rather than stuff you're not telling them in their role pm

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

I try to eliminate cops from my setups in favour of multiple trackers.

I am vindicated

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh hey mafia thread, I've got a question for you:

Are "SCUM" and "NOT TOWN" interchangeable terms when it comes to cop results?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Nooooooooooooooooooo

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Nope! 3Ps are not scum but they are not town!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I played cop in a town of Salem game once and when I claimed a scum result on someone the town collectively melted down, lynched me, and then told me to learn how to play

They didn't lynch the guy and then lost

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Little Mac posted:

I have a few:

The Javelin - Hunger Games
This game had an item system that allowed people to get random powers. The Javelin was a weapon that would kill your target and then pass through them and had a 75% chance of killing each person who targeted your target that night. If I remember correctly, it ended up comboing with a lightning rod and killing like three people in one shot.

:angel: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603270&pagenumber=51&perpage=40#post425416870 :angel:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

What I mean to say is that cops are fine because you'll never know just how to carry it

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We don't fake claim enough on SA imo.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Actually

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It depends on your set up which is more useful or whatever, but a game with 3Ps like survivor or whatever really makes the cops job harder if they're getting town/not town

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kashuno posted:

Nope! 3Ps are not scum but they are not town!

Ecco :colbert:

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I had a Magic School Bus role in Magic School Bus mafia the game had a different field trip each day, and the bus' powers would change based on the field trip.
So, like, in the salmon field trip, the school bus was a tracker, and in the inside ralphie field trip, the schoolbus was a vig. It was JOAT ish, but the power used each night was based on the day flavor
Of course, the bus was killed N1.

I also had a 2 man scum team in 1400 Everet Way Mafia. Where the 1 half was a godfather ninja unconfirmed mason. And the other half was an unblockable usurper. They had a number of nightkills per night equal to the number of living scums. So, the usurper had to keep the godfather half around as long as possible to keep up with 2 night kills and also not get found out. I thought it was a fun dynamic. Also that game had the darkest flavor I've written for a mafia game. I remember feeling dirty writing some of it.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
the best was the game I ran with no scum

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
In mafia games there are two general categories of win conditions: town and scum. The two win conditions are mutually exclusive to one another: scum win when the town is defeated (usually phrased as "unassailable dominance over the vote"), and town win when the scum are defeated (usually phrased as "all threats to the town are eliminated," or just straight-up "when all scum are gone" [i.e. when all roles whose victory precludes the town winning are gone]).

There can be subsets to the scum win condition - different scum factions, for instance, which preclude each other from winning but all share the goal of dominating the town - but the town alignment is unitary. Win conditions beyond "all scum must die" make the player, strictly-speaking, no longer town.

Win conditions that are not strictly town or scum (though by scum we usually mean a team of scum players, aka the eponymous "mafia") are called Third Parties. (We usually lump in SKs as 3Ps instead of scum, which is not strictly accurate.) Third parties typically are unconstrained by the town-scum dynamic, and can generally "win" a game regardless of whether the scum or town ultimately prevail. For instance, I ran a game once with a "lyncher" (ugly word), who won the game when a specific player was executed. The lyncher claimed to be a cop, and the town spent much of its resources hunting down the lyncher's target, only to discover that they had been deceived - the victory or defeat of the lyncher was irrelevant to the victory or defeat of the scum.

Translating these situations to cop results is difficult, because cops results are binary. You get a "GOOD" result for players whose interests are not exclusive to the town's, and you get a "BAD" result for players whose interests are exclusive from the town's. How those cop's results are phrased matters, since "NOT TOWN" does not mean the same thing as "SCUM," just as "NOT SCUM" does not mean the same thing as "NOT TOWN."

If a cop is told their results return "SCUM/TOWN," then those are the only results they will get. If a player has a strange alignment or otherwise beyond the scum/town dichotomy, they will sometimes be told how cops will perceive them - whether cops will get "GOOD" results or "BAD" results. Sometimes a mod might make the cop's results "TOWN/NOT TOWN" to address this potential situation.

If a player is told they are a miller, they have no right to complain when cops investigate them as "SCUM."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

EccoRaven posted:

If a player is told they are a miller, they have no right to complain when cops investigate them as "SCUM."

They do if the mod specifically tells them they'll investigate as "NOT TOWN"

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Rarity posted:

They do if the mod specifically tells them they'll investigate as "NOT TOWN"

You were told cops would get "NOT TOWN" results; the cop was told he only received "TOWN/SCUM" results. It was a very minor misleading bit of information in your role PMs that ultimately doesn't matter because you were millers, you should never have been surprised you'd get SCUM results against you. It should have caused you to go "oh, yeah, that's right, everything about the game is designed to make the town think we're scum, including this minor bit of conflicting information" and you moved on.

I suppose I could have just said "whatever cops get as the BAD result, you will come up with that BAD result!", but that sounds like something a child would say.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Joke's on you if you take your pm at face value in Ecco games

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We can analyze this in my new game Gashapon Mafia https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809823

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I always liked my JoJo version of a daycop:

quote:

You are... D'Arby the Player!

Alignment: DIO-aligned (town)
Stand: ATUM

Terence T. D'Arby is the much younger brother of Daniel J. D'Arby, the gambler. Like his brother, he also likes to steal souls through wagers. But the real power of his Stand is the ability to read the intentions of a soul.

Ability: SOUL INTERROGATION
D'Arby will ask his opponents many yes/no questions during a challenge. While this appears like rhetorical thinking out loud, he's actually prompting an inner reaction from the soul, which he can read even if the person never says an answer.

This ability works like a daycop. You don't receive the result until night, but you must give a prompt in-thread for the action to be valid. No bold or hashtags, you simply must say in a post, "(insert name here), are you scum?" Then quote your own post to me in a PM to confirm this as a day action.

As town, your win condition is to eliminate all Joestar-aligned players.

He ended up getting lynched since people just didn't believe the claim.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

My other favorite role is the other D'Arby

quote:

You are... D'Arby the Gambler!

Alignment: DIO-aligned (town)
Stand: OSIRIS

Congratulations, you got the most loving complicated role in the whole game! Please fire away with questions if this makes no sense. Daniel J. D'Arby is a gambling pro, who prefers to fight with his wits.

Ability 1: THE HUSTLE
D'Arby has a smooth demeanor and looks at first like a perfectly ordinary gambler instead of a Stand user. This will give him a chance to get his game started. For D1 only, you will be lynchproof. For N1 only, you will be bulletproof. After that, you're on your own.

Ability 2: SOUL GAMBLING
Once per night, you may pick a person to challenge to a wager. If your action is successful, they will be bound to give up their soul to you if they lose. The wager will take place over the following day. When deadline or hammer hits, the winner will be decided. If they lost the wager, they will be treated as a dead player, forbidden to post or act. But there will be no flip for them yet. If they won the wager, they will be told which souls you possess, and can choose to set one free so they come back to life.

If they win when you haven't got any souls saved up, you will be honor-bound to give up knowledge instead. They will be told (by mod PM) the nature of your Stand, you will be identified to them as the one who used it on them, and you will become Hated. (requires one less vote to be lynched) This hated status stacks if it happens multiple times.

If you die, all of the souls you have claimed will die for real, and have their flips posted.

As town, your win condition is to eliminate all Joestar-aligned players.

==============//==============

Hang on, I never mentioned what the wager is, now did I? Well, how about betting on a race? Except your "horses" will be players in the game. It's...

:siren: THE LURKER RACES! :siren:

When submitting your action, choose a target but also choose your "horses" from among the 4 players with the lowest postcounts. Make a 1st choice, 2nd choice, and 3rd choice. You will get first pick, the extra choices are just in case something crazy happens and they all die or something. Your oppponent's horse will be assigned at random from whoever remains. You will each be notified when the thread opens in the morning of who has which horse. (you will only be identified as the "opponent")

The winner is whoever's horse racked up the most posts during that game day. Feel free to try and influence this outcome however you feel you can. That's all part of the game!

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Bifauxnen posted:

My other favorite role is the other D'Arby

that was the best outcome

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I just reread magic schoolbus mafia. I like that game. It was a fun game.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I should mod another game.

Look for Wishbone Mafia coming soon.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Soooooo good

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Having now seen all the jojos anime seasons Bif I am DYING for DU mafia. Idk how you could make Bite The Dust work but just cut it if you need to aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Rarity posted:

It can be.

You were told you investigate as NOT TOWN, The cop got TOWN/SCUM results,and got back SCUM. So that is the not TOWN result.
You can keep complaining about a game where you won and also didn't get executed if you want, but the it is all consistent.

Cop results can also be more just binary, if the mod chooses.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I played cop in a town of Salem game once and when I claimed a scum result on someone the town collectively melted down, lynched me, and then told me to learn how to play

Obviously your cop claim was actually a fake jester claim that would be revealed by your target's town flip.

Lrn2play

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Jonathan Fisk posted:

You mean the game where you claimed to be a cop, then took it back, then said you were a cop again and couldn't help but drop the R word constantly

And Town won.

Unless you are talking about a different game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Kashuno posted:

Having now seen all the jojos anime seasons Bif I am DYING for DU mafia. Idk how you could make Bite The Dust work but just cut it if you need to aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Even if I had it all set up today, I probably would have to wait for the holidays again to have time to run it.

Maybe I would have to cut Bites the Dust but I hope I can pay tribute to it in at least some way. And Kira has to be in the game this time instead of an NPC cause come on, he is literally a serial killer trying to go unnoticed in the town.