Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Murmur Twin posted:

You seem awfully nervous about a single vote cast against you early on D1.

I don't like this. I was going to say that I think Inf looks better in this argument in that I don't agree with MMT's point at all, but it didn't necessarily make MMT scummy just because they were having a disagreement, but then she posts this deflection to "wow getting defensive aren't we??" rather than addressing the points he's making.

It's an easy and cheap shot to make and I think it's scummy.

I think I'd vote MMT for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Asiina posted:

I'll get to the day event in a minute, but I remembered I said I'd be able to know whether KB is scum by page 10 so I went to check his posting. There's not much there so I was feeling like drat, I can't make a call yet and was going to encourage him to post more then I read this post again, which was in response to me saying I'd be able to know if he was scum or not:

This posts assumes I'm town. It would make no sense at all if I was scum, a possibility KB doesn't even consider.

SCUM SLIP?!

##vote KB

I don't know if this is fully serious but I do find it curious and would consider it worth another look

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Asiina posted:

Try again, friend. It says that I think pera's take is suspicious but not enough for me to vote for her yet.

Then why didn't you say that instead of drumming up some weird analysis of pera's play w/r/t the state of dying mafia only to then dismiss that entire paragraph in the next sentence?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Quidthulhu posted:

Then why didn't you say that instead of drumming up some weird analysis of pera's play w/r/t the state of dying mafia only to then dismiss that entire paragraph in the next sentence?

The first part is to explain it to her. The second part is to say my thoughts on it.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Asiina posted:

I'll get to the day event in a minute, but I remembered I said I'd be able to know whether KB is scum by page 10 so I went to check his posting. There's not much there so I was feeling like drat, I can't make a call yet and was going to encourage him to post more then I read this post again, which was in response to me saying I'd be able to know if he was scum or not:

This posts assumes I'm town. It would make no sense at all if I was scum, a possibility KB doesn't even consider.

SCUM SLIP?!

##vote KB

This is a good point.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I don't know if this is fully serious but I do find it curious and would consider it worth another look

It's mostly serious. I do legitimately think it's odd and want to hear more from KB. The vote is just to add some pressure rather than thinking I have a 100% rock solid case.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Asiina posted:

The first part is to explain it to her. The second part is to say my thoughts on it.

The post where you talk entirely about pera as if she's not in the room is...for pera's benefit? What?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I also googled Cecil Kain and pies to try to find info to help the day event, but came up with nothing.

I've never played FF4 so I don't know the characters enough to be able to make a call based on flavour. I'm leaning B or D since I'd rather either the shared option or the comedy option, but honestly it's a pretty random guess.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
D

CPig deserves to finally write a joke option after three FF games of us resisting.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Asiina posted:

I also googled Cecil Kain and pies to try to find info to help the day event, but came up with nothing.

I've never played FF4 so I don't know the characters enough to be able to make a call based on flavour. I'm leaning B or D since I'd rather either the shared option or the comedy option, but honestly it's a pretty random guess.

There is no in game flavor for this event. CPig has apparently gotten bored of us looking at walkthroughs and has decided to just make things up. I approve.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Quidthulhu posted:

The post where you talk entirely about pera as if she's not in the room is...for pera's benefit? What?

My opinion:

Asiina posted:

If you look past the wordiness of pera's post to the point she's making, it's pretty bad.

My reasoning and an explanation for pera as to why it's bad:

quote:

Skipping jokephase is one thing. It's a dumb thing, but people do it anyway. Skipping actual D1 because it doesn't lead to anything is what makes games die. You just throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks and then use that to build the rest of the game up. If everyone decides to skip D1 then D2 becomes D1 all over again and so on until it ends in apathy (see: half the games Opop has ever run for some reason).

The reason I don't think it's vote worthy yet:

quote:

That said, pera is still fairly new and I don't know if she has much experience with that kind of dead game, so while it is bad I'm not willing to vote on it for the moment. We'll see how the rest of the day goes and if her posting gets better.

Where does your confusion lie, Quid?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

CCKeane posted:

This is a good point.

It's really not.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

It's really not.

Why not?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

##vote D Cecil eat the pies

I'm skimming this because I have a life and it's Saturday afternoon.

I hate meta reads because I don't play mafia addictively so I lack the encyclopedic knowledge of individual play styles that most of you seem to have. It's all white noise to me and convinces me of nothing.

Also I don't know ff4 but I remember the character I got from ff1 so it's clearly a good character. :smaug:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I'm not so much confused as I'm not seeing that as what you did but ok :shrug:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I hate meta reads because I don't play mafia addictively

Soon, friend, soon.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Asiina posted:

Why not?

Your point depends on KB knowing your alignment, but he's not one to be immediately suspicious of people. When he's town, his cases are well-reasoned, and come after he's found information pointing to someone being scum.

Remember FF3? He pushed lurkers, made a terrible case on IS, and was scum. Youre making an alignment call based on twisted logic (KB can't be interested in my alignment calls on him unless he's scum) is actually completely nonsensical.

Give it a bit more time, and look at his cases before calling his alignment.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Also B

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'd personally rather not eat the pie, so maybe we let protagonist slide on this one and give it to soul reaver

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Your point depends on KB knowing your alignment, but he's not one to be immediately suspicious of people. When he's town, his cases are well-reasoned, and come after he's found information pointing to someone being scum.

Remember FF3? He pushed lurkers, made a terrible case on IS, and was scum. Youre making an alignment call based on twisted logic (KB can't be interested in my alignment calls on him unless he's scum) is actually completely nonsensical.

Give it a bit more time, and look at his cases before calling his alignment.

It's not that he'd only be interested in my alignment call if he's scum, it's that he's interested in my alignment call which assumes I'm town.

I didn't read FF3 after I died, but I've played a lot of games with KB, and for whatever reason I don't really understand my gut read on him is right almost all the time, which is something we've talked about and why I made that original post.

Am I absolutely sure he's scum here based on this post? No, but I want to hear more from him because this phrase pings me.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Infinitum posted:

It's called analysis, you should look into it some time instead of posting bog standard mafia prompts to see how the other party reacts.

I'm pretty sure that posting things and seeing how the other party reacts is also called "analysis".

Asiina posted:

I don't like this. I was going to say that I think Inf looks better in this argument in that I don't agree with MMT's point at all, but it didn't necessarily make MMT scummy just because they were having a disagreement, but then she posts this deflection to "wow getting defensive aren't we??" rather than addressing the points he's making.

It's an easy and cheap shot to make and I think it's scummy.

I think I'd vote MMT for this.

Any votes/cases made at this point in the game are going to be based on hunches and I didn't really feel like it's worth going through it point by point, but if it helps:

Infinitum posted:

Trying to decide if MMT is dumbass town, or trying to manufacture a dialogue against me.

Like I gave everyone the easy out option of voting me if this turns out bad... Yet he votes me early and chooses not to vote D anyway.

Leaning scum more than dumb atm.
Bringing up previous game minigame voting meta was reaaaaal dumb tho

Questions for Infi:

(a) Why is it dumb to bring up the information that D was always a bad choice in the last FF game? Would you prefer that I withhold information that jumps out to me that might help town?

(b) You encouraged people to stand out and make their own choices, and then voted me and called me "dumb or scum" for doing exactly that. Do you agree or disagree with this?

(c) In the event that you're town and D is a bad choice, you're basically encouraging town to follow up a mistake (choosing D) with another mistake (turboing a town player). Do you agree or disagree with this?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Rarity posted:

THE SEA KING IS VERY INTERESTED IN MAKING IT TO FF9 SO HE CAN NAIL THAT KUJA CHICK

\

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quidthulhu posted:

The MMT/Inf argument is p. boring to me, I think they're both town

Asiina still reading as completely manufactured.

##vote Asiina

you know, I'm from Auspol and so I haven't played as many games with Asiina, but literally every one I have happened to see her play in I think she's been town. (can someone point out a game for me where she has been scum, cause I can't remember reading one)

And yet, every single time, she ends up being cased the same way like this. "oh she sounds fake", "oh she sounds manufactured", usually without much else to say about it. Maybe it's just a personal thing I'm wired to notice more cause I feel like I get the same treatment a lot, but I think if I can notice the trend by now you guys should too and maybe it's just trying to push known buttons on purpose.

##vote Quidthulu

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

CCKeane posted:

I do have a pretty good case here, particularly with regards to Pera's posts and how the underlaying vibe is markedly different than previous games, additionally Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aenean sapien metus, varius ut vulputate eu, placerat sed lacus. Donec gravida rutrum eros vitae fermentum. Aenean faucibus consectetur libero ac ultricies. Donec in feugiat leo. Proin at tempor odio. Vivamus pretium justo in lorem fermentum placerat. Proin nec massa sit amet dolor porttitor viverra a sagittis mi. Morbi eget felis dolor.

:crossarms:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

oh yeah, I thought feeding the pie to Kain would be a good choice, make him our personal taster before he buggers off. But I can be swayed with fun arguments.

let's eat the bomb ring and give up all hope on life all the pies

D

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Bifauxnen posted:

you know, I'm from Auspol and so I haven't played as many games with Asiina, but literally every one I have happened to see her play in I think she's been town. (can someone point out a game for me where she has been scum, cause I can't remember reading one)

And yet, every single time, she ends up being cased the same way like this. "oh she sounds fake", "oh she sounds manufactured", usually without much else to say about it. Maybe it's just a personal thing I'm wired to notice more cause I feel like I get the same treatment a lot, but I think if I can notice the trend by now you guys should too and maybe it's just trying to push known buttons on purpose.

##vote Quidthulu

I don't really know that I get cased with that all too often. I don't really put much stock into it, since it's essentially a gut read on Quid's part and it's D1 so whatever. I don't necessarily think Quid is scummy for it.

As for what it's like when I'm scum, I will bring this up exactly once because you asked and I will never, ever address it again in this game and I ask other people don't because it is just THE most boring of all arguments. My scum game is almost always that I just lurk all to hell when I'm scum. I'm not scum every time I lurk since sometimes I do lurk as town, but if I'm scum I almost always lurk. There are games that are exceptions to the rule where I've put in good effort while being scum, but I can probably count them on one hand. If we're talking about overall trends if I'm scum I will not be posting. I just really hate being scum and I get super anxious about it so I go to post and then will instead of hitting the submit button will just close the window instead. I'm not proud of it, but there it is. Of course all the same blah blah blah self-meta etc, but I just don't want us to get bogged down in it so let us move on.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

I do have a pretty good case here, particularly with regards to Pera's posts and how the underlaying vibe is markedly different than previous games, additionally Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aenean sapien metus, varius ut vulputate eu, placerat sed lacus. Donec gravida rutrum eros vitae fermentum. Aenean faucibus consectetur libero ac ultricies. Donec in feugiat leo. Proin at tempor odio. Vivamus pretium justo in lorem fermentum placerat. Proin nec massa sit amet dolor porttitor viverra a sagittis mi. Morbi eget felis dolor.

When I saw the size of this post before I read it, I actually got really excited for you Keane, but my heart has been broken. :(

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Anyway, this seems to be where the vote is trending and also gently caress it so Option D

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
MAFIA EDIT: GOD MY TIMING

peramene posted:

...I'm not wasting my time loving around with realworld tomorrow's circlejerking....

Joke phase and circlejerking suck. I don't get it. I don't get the comparison of meta reads (except for Asiina) and I don't get the nonsense that comes with it...

Let me share some initial thoughts from my morning skim that I said I wasn't gonna do but then did.

"Skipping jokephase" wasn't totally honest of me. (Shock and surprise!) There's a handful of people I am intimately familiar with or who have obvious / community-known metareads or whose posting I simply do honestly enjoy, even when it is, uh, shitposting - I won't name all of them, obviously. These individuals either represent major threats to town when I'm town, or perfect allies to scum when I'm scum. And, uh, I suppose, uh, good... Mafia... ally, Rarity. loving Ecco. Why finally let me be mafia but not make me scum?? I'm still pissed. Anyway: MMT, who likely remembers with a laugh, though I've forgotten what game it was, That Time I had her dead to loving rights off of one post D1 but then had to replace out. King Burgundy, the incredible genius MASTERMIND behind FF3's scum """"""""""team"""""""""" who almost loving had us and then we died together because his grace didn't take into account what I'd been screaming for days: attempting to slay the rest of the Thieves' Guild with a dual-attack, he fired on Mithross and myself - resulting in his attempt to kill Mithross being redirected to Kashuno, who of course, redirected any kill at himself towards whomever was attacking him. He slew his dark master in the night for his hubris and rightfully met the lynch the following day. King Burgundy, that beautiful bastard, killed by his own ability but at least, taking me with him. I will likely read every single post his grace ever makes in a mafia game even when I am not playing, simply to learn from his masterful capability. FF3 ended in a Reichenbach, with all possible praise deserving of such an incredible mind for deception. And speaking of Professor Moriarty - If Rarity is really back for real, this is obviously true of her too (ps gratz on GCS - what is it with Us and lying? It's almost like we have to develop the skill to survive). Scum!Rarity is - well, why not? - an enormous predator which consumes all and leaves naught for the living, a master of the craft that leaves me breathless every time I get the distinct privilege to observe it. And finally, because I'm dying to see it: Asiina. I saw that Asiina had been posting frequently and even targeting me which is fun and came to make this post with Asiina: Town, obviously. Speaking now of Podlima, Asiina's meta was used by one of my teammates - if I'm remembering correctly - in order to accuse her. Number of posts and content of posts, Asiina's not comfortable being scum but "oh no guys, oh no, every now and then, I can fight my own meta." I called out to town never to rely on Asiina's meta, hoping and believing that she was scum because I'll bet Scum!Asiina is as good if not better, now, than Rarity. (I always root for my girls though. #ladiesalliances)

This isn't a case, this isn't an effortpost, this is just me checking in that I will actually in fact be here, here and there throughout the day, and I'll be doing some reading, but probably no "reading" until people get serious. FF3 was a goddamn shitstorm if also one of my greatest personal victories yet imo. However, "consider the following:"

Asiina posted:

If you look past the wordiness of pera's post to the point she's making, it's pretty bad. Skipping jokephase is one thing. It's a dumb thing, but people do it anyway. Skipping actual D1 because it doesn't lead to anything is what makes games die. You just throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks and then use that to build the rest of the game up.

That said, pera is still fairly new and I don't know if she has much experience with that kind of dead game, so while it is bad I'm not willing to vote on it for the moment. We'll see how the rest of the day goes and if her posting gets better.

How exactly do I put this? How... best... to put this... I see you, Asiina. Purely because of this post, I'll hear no argument based on Asiina's "meta" of "well, she's posting!" as justification for not voting her, and furthermore her focus on me is curious. But valid, I suppose? Very peculiar misread of what I said, though. Then again, I am especially verbose and work really hard on these posts and half of you don't force yourself through them whatsoever. I don't blame you. I'm different. Her name is Caroline.

Speaking of which:

Pussy Quipped posted:

Lets Vote D baby!

I am very flattered. Your however, is a little crazy.

Granted. See below for a tl;dr. I don't know anything about FF4 and didn't expect to make this event today, but am going with P>Q and IS and saying it's better to find out if we get a consequences when there are, hypothetically, more of us to soak it rather than wait until later when - heh - a compelling D comes around and it's truly difficult to make up our minds.

gently caress. Eh, this one's not so bad.

tl;dr: I will be reading MMT, KB, and Rarity's jokephase posts. I will google at least my flavor and probably a quick skim of the FF4 plot tho I do want to play it some day so ehhhh spoilers???? suck it up, sara. (MMT - FF4 good to me?); don't trust Asiina just because she's posting. Never trust me, KB, MMT, or Rarity. Wouldn't it be hilarious if I just listed the entire scum team and then we rolled town laughing maniacally? Dream team.

[D] if it's not clear enough up there for our darling mod

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Fair enough. I do think Quid is scummy for it though, cause I got this exact same feeling last game about KB seeming to purposely rile you up, but I foolishly gave him the benefit of the doubt just cause I'd had an even bigger town slapfight with him recently.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

##vote D Cecil eat the pies

I'm skimming this because I have a life and it's Saturday afternoon.

I hate meta reads because I don't play mafia addictively so I lack the encyclopedic knowledge of individual play styles that most of you seem to have. It's all white noise to me and convinces me of nothing.

Also I don't know ff4 but I remember the character I got from ff1 so it's clearly a good character. :smaug:

You only need to bold the letter option, not do a true vote. Your vote is currently unresolved in votefinder, because it's trying to vote on a player.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
sara when someone gives you coaching in your scumdoc you shouldn't backpedal so hard that you generate lift

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

D

##vote mmt *sighs* the australian is right

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

jesus christ

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
pera, why do you think I mischaracterized your initial post?

100 words or less please.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'm a little confused, is that post trying to say Asiina: Town, obviously? Or should we go more by the tl;dr ending summary, of don't trust Asiina just because she's posting?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Mithross posted:

You only need to bold the letter option, not do a true vote. Your vote is currently unresolved in votefinder, because it's trying to vote on a player.

CHAOS REIGNS

##unvote

D

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Bifauxnen posted:

I'm a little confused, is that post trying to say Asiina: Town, obviously? Or should we go more by the tl;dr ending summary, of don't trust Asiina just because she's posting?

it's all over the place, inconsistent with her earlier post, and frankly she seems giddy in a way she did not in ff3 (because she is scum)

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i support a perameme murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
I was going to go back and quote some of her posts from ff3 in particular before voting but I'm going out instead because the weather is awesome peace friends

##vote peramene

• Locked thread