Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Watching some cooking shows, noticed their stoves/pans are not totally flat because the oil collects in one side/corner of their pans. Is this deliberate? What are the general thoughts/principles on level vs. slightly uneven surface? the oil surrounds more of the early sauteed ingredients so its better for browning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

With enough heavy use pans will warp/deform in varying ways.
It's not something done deliberately is just something you work around.
The frying pans in restaurants I've worked in would have permanent bulges where they sit over the burner and anytime new pans showed up the line cooks would hoard them like they were made of solid gold.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ranter posted:

Watching some cooking shows, noticed their stoves/pans are not totally flat because the oil collects in one side/corner of their pans. Is this deliberate? What are the general thoughts/principles on level vs. slightly uneven surface? the oil surrounds more of the early sauteed ingredients so its better for browning?

Level is better because you don't have to fidget with it as much. If you've got a tilted surface you just need to be more aware to twist the pan to get an even level of oil around the food.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
There's a pound of ordinary grocery store brand American-type bacon (streaky bacon, I think, to Commonwealth types) that I just found in the meat drawer in my refrigerator. I kept it in the freezer for a few months, then took it out to thaw for a recipe I ended up not making and then forgot about it. The stamp on it says "best by January 2016". It's still in its unopened vacuum-sealed package.

Pro:
- no off color that I can see; it looks like the day it came out of the chill chest at the store
- it's a salt- and smoke-cured meat; people used to keep this kind of thing in cupboards and hanging from ceilings for months with no refrigeration
- it's still sealed

Con:
- it's over a year past its "best by" date
- it's slimy and has a strong smell anyway, hard to tell if it's gone off compared to a pork chop or some chicken
- ffs you idiot, it's $3 of bacon, just throw it away and get more or else go ahead and get botulism, see if I care

This is more an academic question than anything, since I'll probably toss it, just wondering if it could possibly still be edible.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hogmartin posted:

There's a pound of ordinary grocery store brand American-type bacon (streaky bacon, I think, to Commonwealth types) that I just found in the meat drawer in my refrigerator. I kept it in the freezer for a few months, then took it out to thaw for a recipe I ended up not making and then forgot about it. The stamp on it says "best by January 2016". It's still in its unopened vacuum-sealed package.

This is more an academic question than anything, since I'll probably toss it, just wondering if it could possibly still be edible.

Store brand bacon isn't really "real", it's chock full of weird chemicals and preservatives and sugar and poo poo. If it's slimy just toss it. It's likely been frozen and thawed twice now, the first time when it shipped.

Maybe you could eat it after all this time and not die, but c'mon, it wouldn't taste good. Just eat some paper towels if you want a similar taste.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 17, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

hogmartin posted:

Pro:
- no off color that I can see; it looks like the day it came out of the chill chest at the store
- it's a salt- and smoke-cured meat; people used to keep this kind of thing in cupboards and hanging from ceilings for months with no refrigeration
- it's still sealed

Con:
- it's over a year past its "best by" date
- it's slimy and has a strong smell anyway, hard to tell if it's gone off compared to a pork chop or some chicken
- ffs you idiot, it's $3 of bacon, just throw it away and get more or else go ahead and get botulism, see if I care

Just toss it. :cripes:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Counterpoint: cook and eat it, and report back here.

Ideally in real time or as close as you can, with a nice narrative of pictures annotated with how you feel.

Anybody else remember that old thread about 5-minute chocolate cake in a mug in a microwave? There were some great patterns there, typically a series of pictures of making the dish and comments like "Haha this is fun and silly and good" and "Tastes not bad!" followed a few hours later by "OH NO MY GUTS!".

What I'm saying is, DANCE! DANCE FOR OUR AMUSEMENT, MONKEY!

Eat the bacon.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The question is how long ago you took it out of the freezer to thaw. If it wasn't long, I'd go for it. The date isn't meaningful if you freeze it before then.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Drifter posted:

If it's slimy just toss it.

It might be, I haven't opened it. I meant that I could go to the store right now and buy a pound of bacon, and it would be slimy and have a strong Artificial Smoke Flavor™ smell, which negates two of the best ways to tell if something's gone bad.

I'm not going to eat it, just curious about what the real refrigerated life of the stuff is. If you saw it in a chiller at a store, it would look just like all the other packages next to it except for the stamped date.

Anne Whateley posted:

The question is how long ago you took it out of the freezer to thaw. If it wasn't long, I'd go for it. The date isn't meaningful if you freeze it before then.

The answer is "long enough that I don't remember and actually forgot it was there", so probably way too long ago and I'm not going to risk it. It just seems odd - looking at it in the package, it doesn't seem like it would look or smell or feel any different from the "fresh" stuff if I opened it.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 17, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hogmartin posted:

It might be, I haven't opened it. I meant that I could go to the store right now and buy a pound of bacon, and it would be slimy and have a strong Artificial Smoke Flavor™ smell, which negates two of the best ways to tell if something's gone bad.

I'm not going to eat it, just curious about what the real refrigerated life of the stuff is. If you saw it in a chiller at a store, it would look just like all the other packages next to it except for the stamped date.

The answer is "long enough that I don't remember and actually forgot it was there", so probably way too long ago and I'm not going to risk it. It just seems odd - looking at it in the package, it doesn't seem like it would look or smell or feel any different from the "fresh" stuff if I opened it.

Look, just open it, cook half a slice and eat it. If you like it cook the rest.

If the thought of doing that puts you off for any reason from "Nah, too much work" to "Ugh" then just toss it.

Otherwise, just open it, finger it a bit and then toss it. Like, if it's still airtight and whatnot then you won't die, but as of now it's been thawed twice and left for months in the fridge. Maybe sprinkle it with a lot of pepper before you cook it.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 17, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
christ don't eat the ancient bacon just toss it, take the $5 hit or whatever and go get another pack

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

JawKnee posted:

christ don't eat the ancient bacon just toss it, take the $5 hit or whatever and go get another pack

No way, he should definitely

Drifter posted:

finger it a bit

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I'm thinking about making some homemade churros, but I'd need to get some piping bags/tips. The product recommendation thread looks dead and I can't find its replacement if one exists. Amazon seems to have a ton of HIGH QUALITY RUSSIAN tips that I'm pretty sure would never get used. Williams Sonoma has a set that looks alright and I have a bunch of gift credit for that place.

I don't really know what's good for bags/tips though. What should I be looking for?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

the littlest prince posted:

I'm thinking about making some homemade churros, but I'd need to get some piping bags/tips. The product recommendation thread looks dead and I can't find its replacement if one exists. Amazon seems to have a ton of HIGH QUALITY RUSSIAN tips that I'm pretty sure would never get used. Williams Sonoma has a set that looks alright and I have a bunch of gift credit for that place.

I don't really know what's good for bags/tips though. What should I be looking for?

The Kitchen Equipment Thread is alive and kicking.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The New York Times has a feature called "The New Essentials of French Cooking" from Melissa Clark, a lot of their cooking/ how-to videos have been good in the past.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/new-essentials-french-cooking

They want $1.99 to access it, but when I went to buy it they asked me to confirm my email, then said that I could have it for free 'for showing my interest in it.' I subscribe to the Times so maybe its just free for subscribers and doesn't say so or something, but it's worth a try.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I love me some deep fry but as of today I've had enough of trying to drain/clean a dutch oven, and the gelatin method doesn't work well enough to keep me from having to filter with cloth anyway. Any goon recommendations for dedicated deep fryers at home? (Preferably something I can find brick and mortar because I got some chicken I wanna do today)

(ed: or is cleaning out one of those things just gonna be worse? I figure them all having dedicated spigots/filters would help matters, maybe I'm wrong?)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 18, 2017

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
This is the one that was recommended to me and I'm planning on getting. T-fal FR8000 Oil Filtration Ultimate EZ Clean Easy to clean 3.5-Liter Fry Basket Stainless Steel Immersion Deep Fryer, 2.6-Pound, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NQ7QFGM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_CYkQybRHTM50N

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

I love me some deep fry but as of today I've had enough of trying to drain/clean a dutch oven, and the gelatin method doesn't work well enough to keep me from having to filter with cloth anyway. Any goon recommendations for dedicated deep fryers at home? (Preferably something I can find brick and mortar because I got some chicken I wanna do today)

(ed: or is cleaning out one of those things just gonna be worse? I figure them all having dedicated spigots/filters would help matters, maybe I'm wrong?)
I don't deep fry much, so maybe it's not the best advice for you but I wouldn't use a dutch oven to deep fry - it's much too heavy and heat retentive. I use a taller-than-it-is-wide medium-ish stainless steel pot. I've not deep fried anything bigger than a chicken thigh though, mainly for breading. That way I don't have to use too much oil, and I can just cook in batches.

Once the oil cools the solids/crumps tend to just accumulate near the bottom and I can pour off most of the oil into a glass jar I use a milk jar, a friend uses a pickle jar because she's messier) for use later on. The solids and the little oil that's left just gets put into the trash - or I don't know, you could make some fry bread with an extra crispy topping or something.

I would hate having to clean a spigot.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Drifter posted:

I don't deep fry much, so maybe it's not the best advice for you but I wouldn't use a dutch oven to deep fry - it's much too heavy and heat retentive.
You want something that's heavy and heat retentive! That way your oil won't dip in temperature too much when you add your food! You want your oil to stay as close to the frying temperature as possible when you add the food, because if it cools off too much you fry at a lower temperature and your food is greasier.

I find cleaning my dutch oven to be pretty easy - let it cool off for a while, pour the oil out into a jar with a funnel covered with a cheesecloth filter, then just wash out the dutch oven with soap and water. I've never owned a deep fryer machine but I can't imagine cleaning them is easier than that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I deep fry in this pan, I've found that pans with this design work well, it's easy to see into unlike a pot but deep enough to hold enough oil to deep fry without stuff getting stuck to the bottom. Obviously this one is expensive but there are plenty of tri-ply pans with this design for much cheaper than the All-Clad one. It's also really nice for stuff like curry, stews, etc, very versatile.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love cast iron for deep frying. A big Dutch oven is my go to fryer.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I use my big ol' enamel cast iron dutch oven for most deep frying, my normal Griswold 10" skillet for some deep frying, and a tiny cute little 3.5 inch Lodge skillet for deep frying very small batches.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

One of the main advantages of a dedicated deep frier is that you don't actually need to drain/change the oil that often, perhaps once a month or two depending on how often you use it (or sooner, if you suddenly decide you want to make donuts and you don't want them smelling like fried chicken).

Actually cleaning them properly is a pain the rear end to be frank, a dutch oven is a simple concave surface, while the frier will have all sorts of fiddly bits like wire racks and heating elements you need to clean around. I use ammonia mixed in hot water, and it can still take 30+ minutes for me to clean mine.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Gerblyn posted:

depending on how often you use it (or sooner, if you suddenly decide you want to make donuts and you don't want them smelling like fried chicken).

I now want nothing more then a fried chicken cruller with maple syrup and crispy chicken bits.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Where the hell does one find cheesecloth in stores, anyway? I don't think I've ever seen the stuff else I would have tried it before now, I reckon.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Where the hell does one find cheesecloth in stores, anyway? I don't think I've ever seen the stuff else I would have tried it before now, I reckon.

Grocery store, in the section where they sell various kitchen gadgets, and Bed Bath and Beyond, in the Beyond section I guess.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Rurutia posted:

This is the one that was recommended to me and I'm planning on getting. T-fal FR8000 Oil Filtration Ultimate EZ Clean Easy to clean 3.5-Liter Fry Basket Stainless Steel Immersion Deep Fryer, 2.6-Pound, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NQ7QFGM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_CYkQybRHTM50N

I have the same one. It works great for small batch stuff. The oil filter and container are super convenient. Easy to clean.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I ordered that earlier, reconsidered, but didn't cancel in time so I guess I'll see for myself how it is :v:

Small batches are fine, I mostly cook for just me anyway.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

If you want to filter oil lazily and really wellll just use a chemex coffee filter and a funnel. Even after frying battered and breadcrumbed items back to back the filtered oil looked like new.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

Most "cheesecloth" you get at stores is too loose. Look for "butter muslin"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004...jrbL&ref=plSrch

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Sextro posted:

If you want to filter oil lazily and really wellll just use a chemex coffee filter and a funnel. Even after frying battered and breadcrumbed items back to back the filtered oil looked like new.

I use paper towels because they're way faster than coffee filters. Just gotta make sure you use a full square and not one of those select a size kinds

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I ordered that earlier, reconsidered, but didn't cancel in time so I guess I'll see for myself how it is :v:

Small batches are fine, I mostly cook for just me anyway.

Yeah sorry I was out so I couldn't post in detail but it filters the oil for you cleanly and you just toss it into the dishwasher. Everyone I know who has used it said it's SUPER easy to clean. I used to do the dutch oven thing too and honestly I hated it and I hated dealing with the oil so I just stopped. Let me know how it goes for you.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I've found it at meijer but not other grocery stores in Indianapolis. I usually order from Amazon, you can get a pretty big package for 10 bucks. I recommend getting some kitchen twine, too. I wrap up all kinds of things that need to be removed later with the stuff.

Also, re: Dutch oven frying: I use my Dutch oven for almost everything. I'd probably take it over a cast iron skillet for my one pot/pan on a desert island.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Anyone ever glazed a meatloaf with tonkatsu sauce? Ketchup and worcestershire seem traditional, so maybe a combination of chili sauce and tonkatsu? Does this seem like a dumb idea?

Edit: I suppose it'd be like a large hambagu steak.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

moller posted:

Anyone ever glazed a meatloaf with tonkatsu sauce? Ketchup and worcestershire seem traditional, so maybe a combination of chili sauce and tonkatsu? Does this seem like a dumb idea?

Edit: I suppose it'd be like a large hambagu steak.

Try it and report back to us! But what kind of chili sauce? I'd be afraid it would overpower the tonkatsu, especially the sweeter ones like Mae Ploy.

Ooh, maybe bake the meatloaf with a nice panko crust then some tonkatsu and maybe a few bonito flakes on as you plate it.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
By chili sauce I meant Heinz chili sauce, so basically ketchup. I think the main difference is it has a bit less sugar and is less, eh, uniform in consistency?

I ended up using chili sauce, tonkatsu sauce, sugar, gochujang, ginger, and dry mustard to make the glaze. It came out great and smelled wonderful cooking, but oddly ended up tasting not that much different from the bog standard ketchup/worcestershire style meatloaf glaze.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

moller posted:

By chili sauce I meant Heinz chili sauce, so basically ketchup. I think the main difference is it has a bit less sugar and is less, eh, uniform in consistency?

I ended up using chili sauce, tonkatsu sauce, sugar, gochujang, ginger, and dry mustard to make the glaze. It came out great and smelled wonderful cooking, but oddly ended up tasting not that much different from the bog standard ketchup/worcestershire style meatloaf glaze.

Maybe ginger and a bit of shiso in the meatloaf mix?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm starting to make horchata after having some on vacation because it's hard to find around here and mine is better anyway.

The process involves soaking rice in water for at least 3 hours and then tossing the rice - is it still possible to cook this rice so I'm not just throwing it away?

I don't even like rice, I just can't stand to waste edible food.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Javid posted:

I'm starting to make horchata after having some on vacation because it's hard to find around here and mine is better anyway.

The process involves soaking rice in water for at least 3 hours and then tossing the rice - is it still possible to cook this rice so I'm not just throwing it away?

I don't even like rice, I just can't stand to waste edible food.

You mean the left over goop, or do you not blend that up? If it's literally just regular soaked rice add a little water and finish boiling it to make normal rice.

If you mean the goop, you could probably lay it down a mat in the oven to dry it and then make it into a sort of flour, maybe.

If you want to leave it damp, maybe add an egg and raisins and stuff and bake it to make sweet little rice cookies? You might be able to make rice pudding, but it'd be more custardy than otherwise.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

General Question for you goons:

I bought some Black Garlic to use for a late Valentines dinner with the wife, made some black garlic mayo for some burgers, and now I have 2/3 of a clove left. What should I make with it?