Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

dont even fink about it posted:

- Utter waste of Ron Pearlman, who usually livens up even really bad movies.

I had no idea he was even in that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

socialsecurity posted:

Out of nowhere? It was literally the plot of the first episode.

That he was the emissary, yes, but not that he was the literal son of a prophet. And from that point when the prophets show up it's only Sisko's "mom" that appears and the dynamic changes a lot.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sisko is Bajoran Jesus

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Tears In A Vial posted:

I had no idea he was even in that movie.

He was buried beneath a Reman prosthetic and given nothing to do except loom and I guess fight Riker. That role could have been purely stunt-acted.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

He was buried beneath a Reman prosthetic and given nothing to do except loom and I guess fight Riker. That role could have been purely stunt-acted.

yeah I just looked up who he played and I had no idea they'd even bother with a 'known' actor for that part.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Tears In A Vial posted:

yeah I just looked up who he played and I had no idea they'd even bother with a 'known' actor for that part.

He probably just wanted to be on the show.

I mean, look at Mick Fleetwood:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Those who had been reading 50 year journey, did you get any info why Nemesis was such a poo poo show? I feel at its core was a fundamental misunderstanding of what people like about trek.

Rick Berman thought it was great and literally cannot understand what the problem was.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

What a handsome race.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Those who had been reading 50 year journey, did you get any info why Nemesis was such a poo poo show? I feel at its core was a fundamental misunderstanding of what people like about trek.

I haven't read the book but my understanding is the writer was a friend of Stewart and Spiner and wrote them a bunch of stuff, including the dune buggy thing just because Stewart wanted to drive cause he likes driving.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

I haven't read the book but my understanding is the writer was a friend of Stewart and Spiner and wrote them a bunch of stuff, including the dune buggy thing just because Stewart wanted to drive cause he likes driving.

Same with Pertwee when he was the Doctor and that was one of Doctor Who's best eras.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

quote:

RICK BERMAN

The ironic thing is that everyone from the studio to me thought we’d crafted a really good movie. And nobody came to see it. It wasn’t even a question of not getting good reviews. Any Star Trek movie opened and it would have a huge opening weekend, but this one didn’t. Now, why? I understand and appreciate the criticisms of the production or script, but, to this day, I have some difficulty understanding why it met with such a poor reception. John Logan has gone on to write huge movies, but the movie backfired and there’s certainly a lot of room for discussion of why. It was sad and a little baffling to me.

quote:

MARINA SIRTIS

The director was an idiot.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Always leave it to Marina to cut the bullshit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rick Berman basically retired after Enterprise so none of that is a surprise

Nemesis came out around the same time as a LotR movie so that didn't exactly help. I still think it's marginally better than Insurrection

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nemesis came out around the same time as a LotR movie so that didn't exactly help. I still think it's marginally better than Insurrection

Sure, there's plenty of movies that probably would have been a lot bigger if they'd been timed better. Famous example is UHF, of course, which had a run in the cinemas up against Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Batman, Lethal Weapon 2, Licence To Kill, Ghostbusters II, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Weekend At Bernie's and maybe Back To the Future Part II (I'm not sure exactly when it came out).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

WickedHate posted:

The director didn't know poo poo about Trek and constantly ignored people trying to nudge him in the right direction. That's probably not the only reason, but a fairly big one.

That seems way to simple. I need to find some reason to blame it on B&B.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Frionnel posted:

Frionnel's list of what's bad in DS9:
Profit and Lace
Everything to do with Pah-Wraiths
Ezri (She just needed more seasons)
Ezri and Bashir romance (or "if Worf hadn't shown up it would have been you" :rolleye:)
Sisko's mom and Sisko being Space Jesus out of nowhere

I like Ezri and it was nice to see Bashir get a romance, but yeah she didn't get a lot of fleshing out and there were some definite missteps. Also I liked the very first Pah Wraith episode with possessed Keiko. The others were mostly poo poo though.

My personal "bad parts of DS9" list is: boring Kira romance episodes, most TNG-style anomaly-of-the-week episodes, loving Mirror Universe (except the first one is OK), and various season 6-7 asspulls and filler episodes.

MikeJF posted:

The director was picked by the studio; he saved Mission Impossible... 2 (I think?) with a post-production re-cut and he was promised a directing gig as a reward. They gave him Nemesis. That was it for his directorial career.

Mission Impossible 2 is a really bad movie that makes no loving sense, has some of the worst pacing issues I've ever seen, and has its head squarely up its rear end for most of the runtime. Maybe he did good work, but he didn't "save" anything.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WampaLord posted:

Basically, Spiner was very cagey. Whereas the rest of the cast always signed their movie contracts with an option for another one, Spiner flat-out went movie-to-movie. After being incredibly unhappy with Insurrection, in which he had very little to do and his character went backwards, he refused to sign on for another movie unless he had the same level of creative control that Stewart had on Insurrection. (The shitshow that was Insurrection should have have told everyone right then and there what a terrible idea that was.)

Anyway, Spiner had become friends with John Logan, who is an unbelievably terrible writer and had a ridiculously unearned reputation attached to him because he had a script credit on Gladiator (his script was rewritten on the set because it was such a mess, but he went to WGA arbitration and won because enough of the dialogue that he wrote for Commodus remained in the finished product). So Spiner and Berman start spouting on about how they've got an Oscar-winning screenwriter on the movie, and he's a huge Trek fan, and they've got the best villain since Khan, yadda yadda.

And then Stuart Baird gets the director's chair. Now, Baird is a legendary editor, and he has that reputation for good reason -- he's had a hand in some of the greatest movies of all time. But his two prior directorial efforts, Executive Decision and US Marshals, were complete disasters. He did, however, step in to do last-minute salvage jobs on Mission: Impossible 2 and Tomb Raider. (M:i2, in particular, was a complete loving mess, as John Woo's cut came in north of three hours long and made no sense whatsoever.) Because both of those movies made a metric poo poo-ton of money for Paramount, Baird was promised a flagship directing job. That turned out to be Nemesis.

So Spiner gets his bobo to write a script that basically jacks him off for the entire runtime, the movie's directed by a guy who flat-out didn't want to be there ... it was doomed from the start. Nemesis is proof of why you don't let the cast control the script, and why you don't let "fans" write.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Rick Berman basically retired after Enterprise so none of that is a surprisen

He was fired after Paramount took a look at his "The Beginning" script and pissed themselves from laughing.

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 19, 2017

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timby posted:

why you don't let "fans" write.

I don't follow, that seems like the opposite problem Nemesis had.

Like I don't need everyone involved to have encyclopedic knowledge of every episode but like, Nemesis needed a writer and a director who at least on some level gave a poo poo.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Ezri Dax: A warrior culture's teachings, and most importantly, the nature of its people, achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves… or find themselves lacking. Too long did the Klingon Empire remain unchallenged. It is a stagnant beast that labors for breath… and has for centuries. The Dominion War was the heart that sustained its sickness—now the Founders have lost, we shall see how long the Empire can survive.

Worf: :stare:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I think his point was that "he's a big fan, he loves the Star Trucks" is just a thing people say when someone gets attached to a big franchise movie and doesn't mean a goddamn thing in practice.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Poor Geordi never caught a break during the filming, either :(

quote:

Both LeVar Burton (Geordi La Forge) and Marina Sirtis (Deanna Troi) have spoken critically of Baird's decision to not watch any Next Gen episodes. Burton said that Baird repeatedly called him "Laverne" and originally thought Geordi was an alien rather than a human with cybernetic eyes.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I don't really know how you get a job for a major motion picture and just be so bad at it as to not even bother knowing a main character's name.

That Rick Berman quote sounds like if Trump was a producer.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

It wasn't even a matter of just being close to LoTR. It was released five days before The Two Towers came out at the very height of LoTR mania. In some ways that's what makes Nemesis fascinating; almost every single thing about and tangentially connected to the movie was a failure.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

J33uk posted:

It wasn't even a matter of just being close to LoTR. It was released five days before The Two Towers came out at the very height of LoTR mania. In some ways that's what makes Nemesis fascinating; almost every single thing about and tangentially connected to the movie was a failure.

I guarantee some idiot studio exec was all "Sci/fi and fantasy fans are different audiences, it'll be fine!"

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Timby posted:

He was fired after Paramount took a look at his "The Beginning" script and pissed themselves from laughing.

What's this about?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Five days before is plenty of buffer. If it came out AFTER it would have been a problem. Before, not as much. Yeah, there's some validity to the idea that people will be so fixated on LotR that they would ignore it, but probably not significantly.

"I'm not going to watch Star Trek this week because I'm going to see Two Towers next week" said no one ever.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Item Getter posted:

What's this about?

A pilot from a family of Antarctic xenophobes steals a nuke to use against the Romulans after they start a war against Earth demanding to be allowed to cause a Vulcan Holocaust.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

bull3964 posted:

Five days before is plenty of buffer. If it came out AFTER it would have been a problem. Before, not as much. Yeah, there's some validity to the idea that people will be so fixated on LotR that they would ignore it, but probably not significantly.

"I'm not going to watch Star Trek this week because I'm going to see Two Towers next week" said no one ever.

Movies are a luxury. Plenty of people budget only for a movie here and there, not one a week.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Some of us aren't the kind of nerd that hordes 500$ dollar statues.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

VanSandman posted:

Movies are a luxury. Plenty of people budget only for a movie here and there, not one a week.

ehhhh

In my experience the thing keeping people from seeing movies in the theater isn't the cost.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

A pilot from a family of Antarctic xenophobes steals a nuke to use against the Romulans after they start a war against Earth demanding to be allowed to cause a Vulcan Holocaust.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

VanSandman posted:

So, when should they have released it? Close to Spider-Man? Harry Potter? Men in Black II? Signs? Minority Report? Die Another Day? Episode II?

2002 didn't really have huge gaps with no high grossing movies.

I mean, they could have buried it in Feb, but that wouldn't exactly been promoting it.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Poor Geordi never caught a break during the filming, either :(

I want to make a Star Trek movie, but I'm gonna focus on that groundbreaking moment where Fry thinks Hermes is an outerspace potato man.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

I want to make a Star Trek movie, but I'm gonna focus on that groundbreaking moment where Fry thinks Hermes is an outerspace potato man.

How are you going to do that? You can't even remember your own name, Einstein.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

Ezri Dax: A warrior culture's teachings, and most importantly, the nature of its people, achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves… or find themselves lacking. Too long did the Klingon Empire remain unchallenged. It is a stagnant beast that labors for breath… and has for centuries. The Dominion War was the heart that sustained its sickness—now the Founders have lost, we shall see how long the Empire can survive.

Worf: :stare:

A stagnant beast? Really?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Grand Fromage posted:

I love that Bashir being willing to murder Garak to achieve his goals is the most proud we ever see Garak being about anyone.

Second most is when Nog refused to walk with his back facing Garak after the events of Terok Nor.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

Basically, Spiner was very cagey. Whereas the rest of the cast always signed their movie contracts with an option for another one, Spiner flat-out went movie-to-movie. After being incredibly unhappy with Insurrection, in which he had very little to do and his character went backwards, he refused to sign on for another movie unless he had the same level of creative control that Stewart had on Insurrection. (The shitshow that was Insurrection should have have told everyone right then and there what a terrible idea that was.)

Anyway, Spiner had become friends with John Logan, who is an unbelievably terrible writer and had a ridiculously unearned reputation attached to him because he had a script credit on Gladiator (his script was rewritten on the set because it was such a mess, but he went to WGA arbitration and won because enough of the dialogue that he wrote for Commodus remained in the finished product). So Spiner and Berman start spouting on about how they've got an Oscar-winning screenwriter on the movie, and he's a huge Trek fan, and they've got the best villain since Khan, yadda yadda.

And then Stuart Baird gets the director's chair. Now, Baird is a legendary editor, and he has that reputation for good reason -- he's had a hand in some of the greatest movies of all time. But his two prior directorial efforts, Executive Decision and US Marshals, were complete disasters. He did, however, step in to do last-minute salvage jobs on Mission: Impossible 2 and Tomb Raider. (M:i2, in particular, was a complete loving mess, as John Woo's cut came in north of three hours long and made no sense whatsoever.) Because both of those movies made a metric poo poo-ton of money for Paramount, Baird was promised a flagship directing job. That turned out to be Nemesis.

So Spiner gets his bobo to write a script that basically jacks him off for the entire runtime, the movie's directed by a guy who flat-out didn't want to be there ... it was doomed from the start. Nemesis is proof of why you don't let the cast control the script, and why you don't let "fans" write.

I do remember Russell Crowe talking about ad-libbing or rewriting the dialogue in Gladiator scene by scene, and that even his character's original name sucked.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I cannot loving stand the Sarah prophet. First, they stopped doing the prophet sequences the way they'd done them from the beginning, instead only featuring her.

Second...her...cadence, I guess?...was all off. Or maybe her voice just grated on me? She reminded me more than anything of going to see Shakespeare in the Park, The Tempest. This was a NYC Central Park production, so very good quality. Anyway, it was astounding, everyone was excellent, especially Prospero, except for Miranda. She just sounded...wrong the whole play.

Later, back at the hotel, I did some digging and found that the role of Miranda was being filled by a succession off underprivileged youth. I have nothing against this, the play was still one off the best I've ever seen, and its good to expose culture to places which might otherwise not get it, but that's the feeling Sisko's mom gives me. Untrained and slightly off.

If you're ever going to NYC in the summer, definitely see if you can get tickets to Shakespeare in the Park. We ate at a Michelin star restaurant, and saw The Book of Mormon, and I still think this was my favorite. Also you can rent RC sailboats. Do that too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

They did make money, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

I cannot loving stand the Sarah prophet. First, they stopped doing the prophet sequences the way they'd done them from the beginning, instead only featuring her.

Second...her...cadence, I guess?...was all off. Or maybe her voice just grated on me? She reminded me more than anything of going to see Shakespeare in the Park, The Tempest. This was a NYC Central Park production, so very good quality. Anyway, it was astounding, everyone was excellent, especially Prospero, except for Miranda. She just sounded...wrong the whole play.

Later, back at the hotel, I did some digging and found that the role of Miranda was being filled by a succession off underprivileged youth. I have nothing against this, the play was still one off the best I've ever seen, and its good to expose culture to places which might otherwise not get it, but that's the feeling Sisko's mom gives me. Untrained and slightly off.

If you're ever going to NYC in the summer, definitely see if you can get tickets to Shakespeare in the Park. We ate at a Michelin star restaurant, and saw The Book of Mormon, and I still think this was my favorite. Also you can rent RC sailboats. Do that too.

I mainly can't stand the Sarah prophet because the show never addresses the horrible rapeyness of her actions.