Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I did quite a bit of my early Realm Grinder stuff with Faceless - I had them because I went away for the weekend. I liked them because they were reliable progress without having to have the game open so they could cast spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I tried Kittens Game, but like two hours in I had just unlocked Iron and it felt like slogging through mud. Every Winter all my production ground to a screeching halt, every Spring I made small progress, Summer and Autumn I did even less, and then back to Winter. It's just so... slow. What am I missing?

Are you making production bonus buildings? Aqueducts and Pastures do a lot to make it trivial to keep a good supply of Catnip so Winter stops sucking. Past that, honestly, Kittens Game just has an obnoxiously slow start. Crack open the save editor (google 'kittens game save editor,' first result) and give yourself like 10 karma and 50 paragon and give it another go.

E: Actually a kittens game question of my own, are there any mirrors of it that aren't on Kongregate or Bloodrizer's website? My work blocks Kongregate and isn't fond of URLs that end in .ru (not kidding)

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 16, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

I did quite a bit of my early Realm Grinder stuff with Faceless - I had them because I went away for the weekend. I liked them because they were reliable progress without having to have the game open so they could cast spells.

Yeah, so far every time I've played Faceless, the rate of gems per run is off the charts compared to any other faction, regardless of alignment. I'm not really sure why, but it is what it is. I'll do it the way guides tell me, and I see a pittance of new gems per run. Faceless? It's like I blink and I'd be doubling the gems I'd get when I started over.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I wish the sandcastle game didn't feel so obtuse. I'd like to try it but it feels like it's designed to have a wiki open in another tab because...something.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You should absolutely play Realm Grinder with whatever strategy/faction you want unless you get stuck and can't figure out how to progress at a decent rate any more. There's a ton of options and just reading the best one can take the fun out of it for weeks at a time.

I'd say the things you really should spoil are: the hidden trophies, the artifact requirements, and the early research unlock requirements. Some of them are ridiculously obtuse, and in the case of artifacts there's an upper limit on how many excavations you can get over the course of all your reincarnations without spending rubies. It's very generous if you know the requirements but if not you're going to miss some of them.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 17, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Magres posted:

Are you making production bonus buildings? Aqueducts and Pastures do a lot to make it trivial to keep a good supply of Catnip so Winter stops sucking. Past that, honestly, Kittens Game just has an obnoxiously slow start. Crack open the save editor (google 'kittens game save editor,' first result) and give yourself like 10 karma and 50 paragon and give it another go.
I don't even have Aqueducts. I made like ten pastures so I could put one less kitten on farming duty but even that sucked, and woodcutters are super slow even with the first two tools so my population is stalled at like 12.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I've gotten to the point where I can make maps in Trimps and now I just don't know what the gently caress. :psyduck:

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't even have Aqueducts. I made like ten pastures so I could put one less kitten on farming duty but even that sucked, and woodcutters are super slow even with the first two tools so my population is stalled at like 12.

Yeah this is basically Kittensgame.

The storage caps are very small and fills up too slow for anyone sane to bother sitting there and watching the game, but fills up too fast (or rather, are too small) for you to be able to afk for a few hours and not lose potential progress.
Its an alright idler if you use one of the scripts, since this will autobuild for you once your storage reaches 95% capacity (or whatever % you configure it to)

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
The trick for kittensgame is to use a speedhack set to 100x and Kitten Scientists. Then it becomes a 'fun' game to 'play'

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Len posted:

I wish the sandcastle game didn't feel so obtuse. I'd like to try it but it feels like it's designed to have a wiki open in another tab because...something.

The sandcastle game is insanely obtuse yet enjoyable nonetheless. I'm not sure its worth going it alone it was definitely one I had a guide handy for because to do otherwise can impact your time in weeks.

There are also some better layouts than the default out there if you can find them.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

100 degrees Calcium posted:

So of the myriad iOS options, which idle/clicker game is best? Sometimes I want a distraction or whatever but most of the usual suspects are blocked on my work computer, so I gotta dink around with my phone instead. Not needing to babysit a bunch would be ideal, but I'm not picky.

I've got Android so these may not all be available to you but look into:

Tap Titans 2
Egg Inc
Clickpocalypse 2
Tap Tap Fish/Tap Tap Aquarium/Abyssrium
Endless Frontier

e: There's another one I like that's like a not-quite Infiniroad except a tower. Unfortunately I don't know the name of it because it just displays the name 'tower'. A lot of these idle games are constantly changing their names

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

100 degrees Calcium posted:

So of the myriad iOS options, which idle/clicker game is best? Sometimes I want a distraction or whatever but most of the usual suspects are blocked on my work computer, so I gotta dink around with my phone instead. Not needing to babysit a bunch would be ideal, but I'm not picky.

I'm gonna go with Realm Grinder or Egg Inc on iOS. There's also Adventure Capitalist but it's kinda not as good as the other two. I'm sure there are others but that's all I've played.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Egg Inc is kinda meh to be honest. Its got charm but it felt like a very by-the-numbers idler. Clicker Heroes on iOS is a great port. It has enough gameplay mechanics to allow an active or totally passive playstyle. Makes checking progress after class/sleeping pretty exciting.

Clicker Heroes has some pretty uninspired art. It doesn't look like anything special, but its real fun and seemingly what you're looking for.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
When I have time I'll make a big effortpost about it, because I feel it deserves it, but the idler I've spent the most time with is Zombidle. On my phone so I can't link it, but it's a fun idler whose developers regularly update and add features, throws out IAP and ad-bypassing currency fairly frequently, and looks pretty good to boot.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MisterBibs posted:

When I have time I'll make a big effortpost about it, because I feel it deserves it, but the idler I've spent the most time with is Zombidle. On my phone so I can't link it, but it's a fun idler whose developers regularly update and add features, throws out IAP and ad-bypassing currency fairly frequently, and looks pretty good to boot.

One thing that's nice about Zombidle is that if you screw up an ad, it sometimes just lets you off the hook and gives you the reward anyways.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Zombidle takes some effort to get going at a remotely decent clip, diamonds for instance only show up every 4 hours unless you watch ads and you need 100 of them to get the item that adds 3 more orbs to drops (so the bosses that drop 1 start dropping 4 instead, the ones that drop 5 drop 8, and so on) among other items and hell upgrades that speed up the reset curve. It's also potentially demanding of system resources so if you encounter slowdown after playing a while don't be surprised. It's a good looking game but the things that can grate after a while in Clicker Heroes are also things here.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

the best idle game on ios is prolly idle mage cause everything else requires way too much interaction.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I feel like idle mage takes infinite piles of interaction :shrug:

I'm on the third prestige and it just takes forever to get anywhere because I only check it once every day or two

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

the thing that eventually made me tap out of idle mage is that I just had no good feedback on how effective spells were. It seemed that making an effective team of spells was something the game really wanted me to do but after weeks of playing I was still just throwing poo poo together randomly.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

There's an option in settings to show each spell's damage, either total (including anything wasted on overkill) or only damage that actually contributed to something dying (which is a more useful metric). Turning that on let me make more informed decisions about what spells were good, though it largely just confirmed my suspicions (Shock Net, Inferno, Firestorm, and a few others).

As for generally having it work as an idler, my usual method is if I'm near a charger, I'll plug in my phone and turn the game on and ignore it, occasionally tapping the upper right to manually recall so I can accumulate stuff, grabbing runes and rune caches if I happen to notice them when I glance over, and loving around with researches and raids and ranking up spells as appropriate (all of which have visual cues so you don't have to look too closely at the phone to see if you need to do any of them).

You can get an awful lot of progress out of doing this, and the most mental effort it generally takes is swapping around what spell's in your first and maybe second spell slot as you cycle through everything to level them up concurrently for passives; meanwhile your 3 or 4 favorites are just perpetually in the spell build in the lower-experience slots.

Or if I'm bored (whether or not I have a charger), I'll fire it up and actually play actively and do things like using runes, though from Proper RPG Hoarding Tendencies I still don't really like to.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Zombidle takes some effort to get going at a remotely decent clip, diamonds for instance only show up every 4 hours unless you watch ads

They also pop a whole lot from villagers, making it easier to farm from lower levels at the beginning of a fresh run.

The diamond thing is one of the things I like the least. The amount you need versus the amount you can get (or buy) is a little off. It's not bad (I've never felt the need to buy any), just not awesome.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

ive been playing idle mage since it was last posted in here and i haven't ascended or anything. i mostly just learn new spells and level them up. didn't even beat level 30 until a week or two ago.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I did NG+ once and am working on the second in Idle Mage but it's extremely uninteresting once you have all the spells unlocked and leveled up at least to 1.5. NG+ doesn't actually change any mechanics and the power boost you get is incredibly minor. Meanwhile, progression is a bit slower and I'm no longer actively pursuing more rank ups (another 100 hours of active playing and I might mark up something to 4.0, giving 5% damage boost over 3.0 hell yes).

No new mechanics until you've basically hit the 5th NG+, at which point apparently you unlock some new stuff for the Templar helper.

E: For what it's worth if anyone's wondering the progression goes ascend once to get templar + 1 templar skill, ascend 3 more times to get 3 more templar skills (he has 8 max, they're pretty big buffs but not really gamebreaking), once you have 4 templar skills and hit the point where you would have normally ascended you have a really long boss fight that will probably take 2 days of active playing to get your power up enough to kill it. After killing that, you do New Game+, where everything is significantly slower and enemies are harder but you get 1 free Templar skill and level up spells faster. That's the only benefit to NG+, and it resets everything on your account otherwise besides spell levels. Once you have 4 NG+ done, and then ascend 4 more times so the Templar has all 8 skills unlocked, apparently there's some new thing you get to do to power him up.

2 months in and I'm playing the game way more actively than I ever wanted to, and I got through 1 NG+ and there's no more interesting mechanics until I put like 10x more time into the game than I've already put in. It's pretty bad.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 18, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so uh, I'm doing the Metal challenge with AutoTrimps and it somehow managed to assign miners.

I'm not complaining, but... that kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
AT isn't designed to deal with the one-off challenges one way or another, which usually means it can't deal with them at all, but it wouldn't surprise me if it accidentally cheats at some.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 18, 2017

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Jesus Christ, Realm Grinder looks so different from the last time I played it, I thought it was an entirely different game at first.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

This is stupid.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Aurora posted:

This is stupid.

You're way ahead of me, how'd you do it?

Cobalt Zeroni
Feb 15, 2015

TTBF posted:

e: There's another one I like that's like a not-quite Infiniroad except a tower. Unfortunately I don't know the name of it because it just displays the name 'tower'. A lot of these idle games are constantly changing their names

Bit late, but this is more than likely Tower of Hero by Tatsuki, which is also avaiable for iOS. The prestige mechanics aren't nearly as flexible as Infiroad, but it's still fun.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You're way ahead of me, how'd you do it?

At a certain point the density and gravity are way too expensive so it's fine to dump meta into balloon stuff which actually helps a lot.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Anyone got any recommendations for idle games that AREN'T on Kongregate? The site runs like poo poo on my computer.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

serefin99 posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for idle games that AREN'T on Kongregate? The site runs like poo poo on my computer.

there's some idiotic adsense going on in the background which bogs everything down. kongregate started running a lot faster for me when i turned on ublock for it.

that being said if you really want to go straight to the source, Trimps is also hosted on github without any extra bells and whistles.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Not to mention they enforce you having Flash installed in TYOOL 2017. Even if the game is in HTML5. :wtc:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kong's not nearly as "oh hey, hope you don't mind having your browser crash to ram leaks" if you run a competent ad blocker of your choice. If you're not running an ad blocker in this day and age, I warmly recommend you start. You can whitelist any sites you want to support. (Don't whitelist Kong.)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My fav thing about Trimps was that it made my MacBook HOT and loud unless I turned off the eye candy that spreadsheet game somehow has.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Trimp Heirlooms:

What are the best mods for the heirlooms?
I have magmatic in both slots now and hundreds of thousands of nullifium so it is time to perfect the heirlooms; it looks like it is possible to change all 5 mods on the items (and not just 1 of them as is "normal" in other games)

Right now i have

Staff
Dragimp Efficiency
Gem Drop Rate
Metal Drop Rate (changed to this from food drop rate)
Miner Efficiency
Wood Drop Rate

Shield (dropped as is)
Breed Speed
Crit Damage, additive
Trimp Attack
Trimp Health
Void Map Drop Chance

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Ineptitude posted:

Trimp Heirlooms:

What are the best mods for the heirlooms?
(snip)

I'd say your staff is fine but I'd think crit chance would be better than breed speed, you won't need to replace your trimps or make them healthier if the bad guys are dead after all.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Also crit damage and crit chance have really good synergy - if you crit more often you get more use out of the fact that you crit harder, and if you crit harder then it's more worthwhile to crit more often.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Shield: in order: attack, crit damage, crit chance, health, void maps

Staff: before motivation 2: resource drop rates

after motivation 2: resource production rates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

And seeing as you can't get magmatic heirlooms until after motivation 2...

My shield recommendations are the same as Sindai's; my staff recommendations would be Farmer/Lumberjack/Miner/Dragimp Efficiency, and Metal Drop Rate.