Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Definitely try and loot a hacksaw. Cutting apart cars for your crucible, anvil, and other tools is waaay better than trying to scrounge up scrap metal from, say, a helicopter crash.

Don't be like me. Get your metal the smart way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Whaaaat you can cut up cars with a hacksaw? I use them for metal yeah, but I always thought you just had to smash them with a sledgehammer until big parts exploded, like the battery and stuff

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
That is one way to do it but you can also take a hacksaw and wrench to a wreck and get lots of metal, or to a intact part to salvage something that another car might be missing. If you just need a pile of metal scrap on the quick, though, just take a crowbar to a burned out scrap heap and smash away.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dismantling cars used to be the best way to get a high Mechanics skill quickly. Is that still the case?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Dismantling cars used to be the best way to get a high Mechanics skill quickly. Is that still the case?

i want to say it now takes a few mechanics to scrap things now? like 2 to take a hacksaw to a shopping cart for some reason.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yes. Mechanics 2 is required for dismantling, so you have to piddle around with recipes or books to reach that point, and in the last experimental I'd grabbed, it also looks like you can't trivially boost mechanics into the high teens simply by dismantling every other car you see; the progression seems slower and, I think, caps out eventually. I haven't yet found a skill yet that I can say still has a completely uncapped progression.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I generally raise Mechanics to 2 by just lock picking everything I see. With "bad" luck you can get to 50% to level 2 with one door. Finding a stethoscope and sitting next to a safe in a vet's office or doctor's office can easily take you to over Mechanics 3 in one evening of doing nothing but standing in one place, and because of the way the game mechanic works, takes about 30 seconds IRL.

Somehow twisting a lock around and around on safe teaches you how to install an engine in a car in a few hours.

Edit: you can also crowbar a door open for Mechanics 1. The crowbar never takes damage and you can't break doors like you can windows, so you can sit there and repeatedly, over and over, close/pry doors for level 1 mechanics.

Of course at that point tbh I just wait for several hours in game and debug in level 1 because gently caress grinding.

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 11, 2017

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

It appears that dismantling wreckage doesn't give mechanics skill.

e: dismantling working parts works though.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 11, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I couldn't find a wrench in my latest game, so I had make full blown forge set up just for a wrench. It turned out useful for a lot of other stuff though, I'll probably do it in all my games from now on.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is there a way to mod back in the old style of book learnin', where you could memorize recipes out of books instead of needing to keep them around forever and ever and ever?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Grimman007 posted:

How do I set up a blacksmithing operation again? Alternatively, where do hacksaws spawn?

Hacksaws are also plentiful lab spawns, I think in some doctor/vet offices, mob drops.

Anticheese posted:

It appears that dismantling wreckage doesn't give mechanics skill.

e: dismantling working parts works though.

I think it does, but maybe only if you are dismantling parts you only barely have the skill for (ie, parts that require mech4 if you have mech4)

Edit: real talk though, even when I have amazingly high skills, taking a sledge or similar to a wreck is still a pretty fast way (faster than dismantling since mechanics skill stuff is all like 18min/30 min chunks) to get a lot of metal

Fayk fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 11, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
a Homewrecker will make a lot of scrap metal really loving quick

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there a way to mod back in the old style of book learnin', where you could memorize recipes out of books instead of needing to keep them around forever and ever and ever?

When crafting something that uses a book you can sometimes memorize the recipe. No idea if the old style can be modded back in.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

but you need like 7 gun/7 gun type skills to actually be any good at shooting them beyond 7 tiles.

This is totally late game but you can cheese up rifle/marksmanship by sneaking into a megastore with a silenced .22 or one of the 9mm rifles and only shooting at max range (which is like 5 aisles for the 9mm and even worse for the .22s lol).

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Anticheese posted:

Definitely try and loot a hacksaw. Cutting apart cars for your crucible, anvil, and other tools is waaay better than trying to scrounge up scrap metal from, say, a helicopter crash.

Don't be like me. Get your metal the smart way.

There's a circular dependency unless it's been changed recently. Hacksaw requires crucible which requires a (normal) frame which requires a hacksaw unless you find a frame in a garage.

E: Not quoting because gently caress phone/triple posting, but if you find a stethoscope and a safe at mechanics 0, you're good for mechanics 2 or 3 by the time you crack it, which is great if you can't find the low level mechanics book.

Edit loving beaten, also gently caress phone posting yet again.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 12, 2017

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Anticheese posted:

<snip> ..The whole fork just got put in wholesale without any real thought to the content involved.

Cataclysm development in a nutshell.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

bitcoin bastard posted:

There's a circular dependency unless it's been changed recently. Hacksaw requires crucible which requires a (normal) frame which requires a hacksaw unless you find a frame in a garage.

E: Not quoting because gently caress phone/triple posting, but if you find a stethoscope and a safe at mechanics 0, you're good for mechanics 2 or 3 by the time you crack it, which is great if you can't find the low level mechanics book.

Edit loving beaten, also gently caress phone posting yet again.

A shitload of metal bits works too.

E: ^ Truth. Space Station 13 has an anarchic development history stretching over a decade, but the secret of its success is in the way Goonstation curates its patches and coder team.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

So with the backing out of the vehicle rework, it looks like these are the effects (I learned/started playing CDDA only around thanksgiving):

-Gas efficiency is way more reasonable for moderate+ sized vehicles
-Electric efficiency feels pretty meh
-Multiple (Concurrent) engines work again

-Smaller engines seem effectively nerfed. Most motorcycles/scooters/etc around have a max safe speed of ~34MPH
-Small and normal electric motors are definitely weaker/slower, like the above.
-Large and I assume enhanced seem okayish.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Just like in real life, motorcycles cannot travel faster than 30mph without severe explosion, how realistic. :thumbsup:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Admittedly, faster than 30's pushing it for the very smallest scooters and motorbikes...but uh, yeah.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Admittedly, faster than 30's pushing it for the very smallest scooters and motorbikes...but uh, yeah.

A honda Grom is a 125cc, top speed of ~62MPH and (obviously not at that speed) about 134MpG economy. A grom weighs about 225lbs wet.

In C:DDA, I can have a ~120lb (Don't ask) 0.8L engine bike that has a 34/68 safe/top speed.

I feel like the devs should basically pick a real-world equivalent for each engine class/etc and tweak them around that until they are *vaguely* reasonable. Especially since this is in the future, if anything.

Whee.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I was being jokey. I'm well aware the engine mechanics are borked, but I've never really had an intuitive grasp of the 'k' values they're trying to use to simulate physics, so without overhauling that system completely I wouldn't even know where to begin fixing things. As far as I'm aware all vehicles run off of that one shared simulation. One would expect that tweaking one value throws the curve off in hilariously weird ways all throughout the system, which seems to be consistent with what keeps happening in the experimentals anytime someone touches the vehicle simulation.

For all I know the basic physics model is hosed at the root and the entire mechanic needs rewritten from the ground up to make any sense, which wouldn't be too surprising.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Dial up the power of engines, lower the weight, and increase the energy value of fuels across the board?

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
It would be extremely useful if this game had a wiki or something that could be accessed without having to use an internet archive service

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

http://cddawiki.chezzo.com/cdda_wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
Excellent

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008
Is there an easy way to pour the contents of a large number of small containers into one container? Ie turn a couple hundred bottles of lemonade into a steel keg of lemonade and a couple hundred bottles?

Failing that, is there a way to make mass quantities of rum and coke without opening or unloading every can individually?

On an experimental from ~1 month ago, if it matters.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

ducttape posted:

Is there an easy way to pour the contents of a large number of small containers into one container? Ie turn a couple hundred bottles of lemonade into a steel keg of lemonade and a couple hundred bottles?

Failing that, is there a way to make mass quantities of rum and coke without opening or unloading every can individually?

Move all containers involved to your square, abuse shift-u. It will probably work right up until the receiving container is full at which point enjoy your plastic bottles full of gas.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

ducttape posted:

Hit 'b' over the recipe for rum and coke when you've got all the ingredients in the same area.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Move all containers involved to your square, abuse shift-u. It will probably work right up until the receiving container is full at which point enjoy your plastic bottles full of gas.

This still has to go through a couple menus to pour it out

Anticheese posted:

Hit 'b' over the recipe for rum and coke when you've got all the ingredients in the same area.

It may be the version I am using, but I have to open a can before I can use the coke for crafting

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
that is the version you are using, yes, sealed containers should have their stuff available for crafting. i don't know if it's fixed in the most recent experimental though, that's been a bug for a good while now.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I found a portable generator at an apple orchard but I can't make it work with my minifridge. I've tried installing the fridge in both vehicle spaces and it refuses to install. What am I doing wrong?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

queserasera posted:

I found a portable generator at an apple orchard but I can't make it work with my minifridge. I've tried installing the fridge in both vehicle spaces and it refuses to install. What am I doing wrong?

Fridge takes up the same "layer" as storage spaces, quarterpanels/boards, etc. If I remember right, the portable generator has a trunk on one square, then the other square is a handle which you can't install anything on. Easiest fix is to remove the trunk, or you could weld on another frame.

PS Don't forget to turn the fridge on in the vehicle menu.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is professional cyclist secretly the best profession? You always have a quick-escape available.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

welp

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
Are there any good single board PC's with a decent handheld case, full qwerty keypad (numpad is a plus, FN key number is essential at minimum) that can run Cataclysm pretty well? This is 100% a dumb idea that I'm not quite sure I even care enough to implement yet btw

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I started playing this today nd I'm having some issues I am having trouble with - like how do I fill a container with water? I tried aluminum cans teapots etc, I cannot for the life of me figure it out. The documentation says to stand over water source and , or (g)et but it doesn't seem to like that.

Also in the Tiles version, my screen's constantly coverd with red circle/slashes or red circles-with-X, which makes it hard as gently caress to see what's going on.. Is this a tileset glitch or just some toggle-able option similar to excluded dangerous tiles in Crawl?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

coyo7e posted:

I started playing this today nd I'm having some issues I am having trouble with - like how do I fill a container with water? I tried aluminum cans teapots etc, I cannot for the life of me figure it out. The documentation says to stand over water source and , or (g)et but it doesn't seem to like that.

Also in the Tiles version, my screen's constantly coverd with red circle/slashes or red circles-with-X, which makes it hard as gently caress to see what's going on.. Is this a tileset glitch or just some toggle-able option similar to excluded dangerous tiles in Crawl?

For the first thing you need to have an empty resealable liquid container available like an empty milk jug or plastic bottle to hand, cans and teapots don't work because they aren't resealable. When you have that you'll have to pick the water you want to get first and then the container you want to put it in. Yes, it's slightly dumb and clunky, but that's kind of how the game rolls in general.

Second thing sounds like a problem with the tileset you're trying to use, try a different one.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How long has this been a thing?!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.MichaelDavies.CataclysmDDA&hl=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Since February 17th, presumably.

E: oh that says updated not uploaded.