Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
It seems to be the most popular shotgun still. I've seen more people using the m97 backbored or hunter lately though. Still never seen anyone use the 12g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

The Lowdog posted:

I took a break from this for a couple of months and now the 10-A Hunter is no longer functioning as an "I win" button at preposterous ranges, so I am assuming they nerfed it somewhat. Is there a new go to shotgun that stands out above the others? Is the 10-A Hunter still about as good as it gets?

If you felt the 10-A was functioning differently at preposterous ranges than before, I can happily say you're experiencing a placebo nerf!

One shot kills happen at the same ranges it did before. The only effective nerf was spread if you kept firing the shotgun without pause (it's not a very long pause either). If a player can't kill a target after firing two or even three times, that's on them, not the gun.

Live At Five! posted:

It seems to be the most popular shotgun still. I've seen more people using the m97 backbored or hunter lately though. Still never seen anyone use the 12g

The M97 is a pretty good gun for rapid fire multi kills in knifefighting range, the 10-A completely outclasses it and still does but I suspect a lot of people never gave it a chance until after the 10-A 'nerf'.

The Lowdog
Dec 14, 2012

Delacroix posted:

If you felt the 10-A was functioning differently at preposterous ranges than before, I can happily say you're experiencing a placebo nerf!

One shot kills happen at the same ranges it did before. The only effective nerf was spread if you kept firing the shotgun without pause (it's not a very long pause either). If a player can't kill a target after firing two or even three times, that's on them, not the gun.

It makes me very happy to know they haven't hosed (too much) with the only assault weapon I seemed to be able to accomplish things with. I suspect not playing any FPS for a couple of months is to blame for my terrible games last night then.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Live At Five! posted:

I use the 12 gauge and it is pretty decent now, I got a really nice tacky gold plated drop months ago and well waste no want not.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
frontlines looks really good. Hopefully its not on a seperate menu like operations, and has an actual map rotation!!

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Symetrique posted:

Nice job. Proud of you. I've only flown against that guy once, and he was backed up by that one lame streamer's pub stomp team.

Yep we focus fired him down in the second to last sector of Sinai on Ops right as we were capping. Unable to get another plane he quit lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Symetrique posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaE-XKeKOVQ

Frontlines gameplay overview and footage from one of the new maps.

:france:

This looks awesome.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Frontlines looks like a neat mode that will be quickly ruined by bad PC users insisting on 64 players.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
What's the gist of frontlines?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

SeanBeansShako posted:

I use the 12 gauge and it is pretty decent now, I got a really nice tacky gold plated drop months ago and well waste no want not.

the argonne skin is incredible, same thing with the charlatan for the mle1903. anything with ivory and a silver inlay is a license to stunt

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The best weapon skins are the ones that are either pimped out, battle damaged or seem to have been redesigned by a 18th century gunsmith. The worst ones are the generic camo pattern ones.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

AEMINAL posted:

What's the gist of frontlines?

Sequentially capture points until you reach the enemy "base", blow up 2 terminals ala rush to win.

The terminals can call in artillery strikes for the defenders.

Conquest + Rush with back and forth fighting.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

The worst ones are the generic camo pattern ones.

I always turn those in for scrap immediately

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Snuffman posted:

Sequentially capture points until you reach the enemy "base", blow up 2 terminals ala rush to win.

The terminals can call in artillery strikes for the defenders.

Conquest + Rush with back and forth fighting.

Sounds dope! Thanks man. Totes buying premium next paycheck!

Also that new assault rifle looks sick.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

SeanBeansShako posted:

The best weapon skins are the ones that are either pimped out, battle damaged or seem to have been redesigned by a 18th century gunsmith. The worst ones are the generic camo pattern ones.

i had the blue devil drop for the 1907 SL drop and it bucks the trend of poo poo camo. the stock has camo netting and the pattern is pretty snappy

god drat why isnt there a skin viewer online

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Robot Randy posted:

i had the blue devil drop for the 1907 SL drop and it bucks the trend of poo poo camo. the stock has camo netting and the pattern is pretty snappy

god drat why isnt there a skin viewer online

Some of the camo stuff isn't too bad (experimental real life stuff looks more interesting) but I scrap any of that so called elite guard stuff that is basically washed out looking grey/brown wood because that is the loving laziest

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A lot of the blue quality skins are much better than the legendary drops for the same weapon. Gold-plated legendaries notwithstanding. :colbert:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm just on the trial, but does anyone actually play 40p Operations? I've tried several times now and no dice.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Mordja posted:

I'm just on the trial, but does anyone actually play 40p Operations? I've tried several times now and no dice.

No, unfortunately no one plays the best mode anymore. It's one of the reasons I stopped playing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

No, unfortunately no one plays the best mode anymore. It's one of the reasons I stopped playing.

Same, they all play 64 ops now which completely ruins the appeal of 40 man ops. You know, it NOT being a clusterfuck with 10 snipers sitting at spawn and a guy around every corner, except made a lot worse by the limited map space.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

VulgarandStupid posted:

Same, for the most part. I preferred 40 player.

Also a bit unrelated but send me a message on Origin next time you have a chance.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I prefer 40 player as well but I've learned to embrace the chaos of 64 player ops. I'll only play it occasionally but I've had some good times in 64p. I'd play more if it wasn't quite as time consuming.

Frontlines mode looks great though. It's be especially nice in back to basics so I hope that's an option

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Delacroix posted:

The M97 is a pretty good gun for rapid fire multi kills in knifefighting range, the 10-A completely outclasses it and still does but I suspect a lot of people never gave it a chance until after the 10-A 'nerf'.

I actually prefer the M97 to the 10-A, the much higher rate of fire and with the hunter variant, a respectable one-shot/two shot range makes it surprisingly lethal.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Nebiros posted:

I actually prefer the M97 to the 10-A, the much higher rate of fire and with the hunter variant, a respectable one-shot/two shot range makes it surprisingly lethal.

I agree, the M97 Hunter just feels much more forgiving than the 10-A if you miss a shot or turn a corner into a small group of enemies

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
frontlines looks sweet

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

eonwe posted:

frontlines looks sweet

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So apparently the French weapons for the DLC are apparently unlockables BUT the requirements for them are pretty much easy to get casually playing rather than tedious medal grinding so there is that.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I wonder if you can get the heals/resupplies/mortar kills with tanks instead because I already see 10 mortar kills frustrating me to no end

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I wonder if you can get the heals/resupplies/mortar kills with tanks instead because I already see 10 mortar kills frustrating me to no end

My friend bring a HE mortar with you next time you play Argonne and you'll get those kills in no time!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Anything that's in a round is absolute bullshit tedium.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Since they un-nerfed mortars, I find I'm getting tons of HE motar kills. Also, fortunately the requirement isn't kills in a round, just 10 mortar kills in general.

Unrelated, has Dice made any changes to how crates vs pouches work or are pouches still the clearly superior choice?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Mortar kills are easy af

Anywhere on Argonne
The bigass guns at Monte Grappa
The village at Suez

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
If you really wanna rack up mortar kills just play any operation. Especially as defenders on the Suez map where you can easily pick them out against the light-colored dunes.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Mortar kills are pretty easy in general just due to people's tendency to bunch up on points or sniper perches. A couple weeks aimed HE shells will ruin a sniper's day real fast.

Never us the airburst, though. It isn't worth it.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Snuffman posted:

Since they un-nerfed mortars, I find I'm getting tons of HE motar kills. Also, fortunately the requirement isn't kills in a round, just 10 mortar kills in general.

Unrelated, has Dice made any changes to how crates vs pouches work or are pouches still the clearly superior choice?

Pouches still pro

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I guess the thing with airburst/HE mortars is that airburst will always need 2 hits no matter what to kill someone at full health but if you hit someone really close with an HE they're dead?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Hot Diggity! posted:

Pouches still pro

Bummer. My brain has been broken by the fact that crates were always the better option since 2142.

I guess crates are better in that you can re-arm an entire squad but everyone has to stop and the life-span mechanic means surely you'll need to toss down at least 2 crates.

Kibayasu posted:

I guess the thing with airburst/HE mortars is that airburst will always need 2 hits no matter what to kill someone at full health but if you hit someone really close with an HE they're dead?

Exactly, added bonus is that you can also use them to harass and destroy light tanks. Also great at damaging and destroying buildings.

I notice a lot more pub snipers are running flares now, so now is the time to mortar! :getin:

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

Yes, also you can reliably ding vehicles for at least 8 if you're half decent.

If you get at least 3 people with airbursts you can create death zones, but as an individual weapon it's not worth the slot.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Mortars also got slightly better in that you can/could dump smoke/gas now? Or am I just thinking of the truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Snuffman posted:

I guess crates are better in that you can re-arm an entire squad but everyone has to stop and the life-span mechanic means surely you'll need to toss down at least 2 crates.
Keep using crates, I find it creates easily mortar-able clumps of targets.

Kibayasu posted:

P sure you have to hit them dead on. It's perfect for getting rid of poo poo snipers.